Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

No i dont.

Your stone cold facts or stats incinuated things would have gone exactly the same at munster without a tour while a new coaching staff is bedding in so its no more a fact than anything youve disagreed with

Why does it feel like any time the irfu is questioned people get their backs up about it?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I've never said there weren't any positives. I just don't think they should come at the expense of the negatives.

That's not a realistic aim. The provinces always suffer at the expense of the national team, that's just the nature of the beast. In fact, as the balance of the national team has shifted, 50% of our provinces suffer far less than they did in the past.

The relentless criticism of Farrell is that he won't pick new guys, won't pick on form, only picks guys who know the systems - and here's a great opportunity for guys to impress Easterby as he's preparing to take the reins. We should be delighted by this, otherwise we're expecting to keep doing the same things and see different results.

I guarantee you players will be falling over themselves to get on that plane, even if the fans don't want them to go.

There's a difference between "the IRFU gets questioned" and making comments like:

So invite them to squads or do a summer tour its absolutely asenine to take established players out of the urc in order to play the toyota wildebeasts just so that nucifora can claim hes made them

Dragging them across the world to SA to play meaningless games during the URC season is stupid and dumb and 100% cost Munster vital league points in 2022/2023.

Its a poor sign of a coaching staff that they cant tell if a players good unless they have them for weeks on end no?

Thats a pretty damning endightment of the irish coaching staff

If mins is the concern we can go down a whole other rabbit hole but itd deflecting from my point which is a good coaching staff shouldnt need to take players mid season to play in a much lower level competition to know of their talented

if a coaching staff cant see the ability without taking them away for two months with an assistant coach not even andy farrell the its a bad sign and suggests were missing out on some world class talent elsewhere because they havent gone on a tour with irish coaches

And that suggests an issue with the irish coaching teamtalent evaluation

None of the above comments are simply "questioning" the IRFU or Irish management team, they're just throwing muck and making silly insinuations and suggestions that they are poor at evaluating talent.

And players should be. But i dont think its unfair to say a player shouldn't have to make a tour that maby runs every two years in order to make an international squad.

• Advertisement

In response to your disagreement. Thats hoe conversation works sometimes i dont have to agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Perhaps players could be given the option to to travel on a EI tour. The IRFU could try & persuade them to go, and their provincial coach could try and persuade them to stay.

Provinces who feel that they may be unfairly disadvantaged might choose to have their players stay at home. After all, it's not as if the IRFU own all the provinces or anything like that 🤭

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's not a realistic aim. The provinces always suffer at the expense of the national team, that's just the nature of the beast.

… they do, but normally it doesn't happen, to this scale, outside a Test window. I think that's a perfectly reasonable point.

Why, say, couldn't they have had a mid-week game during the AI's? It could achieve a lot of the up-side, while mitigating the downside. Having something in Ravenhill would make a lot of sense, imo.

• Advertisement

But i dont think its unfair to say a player shouldn't have to make a tour that maby runs every two years in order to make an international squad.

I don't think anyone claimed they did. This is just another way to look closely at players, maybe I missed the memo where IRFU said only EI players could be capped.

Do you think that's a fair position to put the players in?

Absolutely nobody claimed Jack Crowley wouldn't have made an international squad without the EI tour, but it is almost certain he wouldn't have been capped as early as Nov '22, made the 2023 6N Squad and from there the RWC squad without the EI tour.

We're just repeating ourselves now, and obviously he'd have pushed through at some point, but given he'd barely played for Munster at 10 at the beginning of that season (and wasn't really playing at 10 regularly until the Champions Cup knockouts in April), it is wild to suggest he'd have made the 6N squad without the EI tour.

Why, say, couldn't they have had a mid-week game during the AI's? 

We did that in 2022 as well, if you remember. Three of them, in fact, if you add the Maori games in the summer.

But that's a completely different set-up; the senior coaches will always be (correctly) focused on the senior team and the dirt-trackers will never get anything like the time and attention they would get on an EI tour.

But sure this has been my point we have no idea how much hed have played. If he was playing significan mins for munster and i think he would have then no reason not to bring him in ei tour or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Makes the coaching ticket for Ireland all the more impressive to win back to back 6 nations and stay number 1 in the World for so long

I think irelands coaching ticket is clearly extremely talented but im not sure why that would impact it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

This was noticeable in the Maoiri game when the team didn't look like it had the right prep for the game. Mostly down to lack of time on focus on the main team

An EI tour gives the coachs full focus on the squad and gives players who might not have been in a squad yet a feel for how it works. Valuable experience

Well the conversation was surrounding jack crowley not likely playing in autumn, 6n, wc warmups and wc without thr ei tour

Exactly my point; done outside a Test Window and I had no problem with those games.

The Maori games in particular were what was referenced when the EI tour was announced. There was such an outcry from the Provinces, they ended-up picking the next level of player again down the pecking order for the EI tour.

• Advertisement

He did play for significant minutes for Munster - he just played them in positions that weren't 10.

If we assume Munster's injury issues unfolded exactly as they did, and it's important to bear in mind that even after he returned from the EI tour in early October, 7 out of his next 8 appearances for Munster were in positions other than 10.

He wasn't going to be picked as a 10 in the Irish 6N squad if he wasn't playing there - as it was, he got picked having played very little rugby for Munster there at 10, but that was solely because he'd showed what he could do in SA, and then from there got the cap against Fiji, then the game against Australia.

It's all basically a number of steps or links in a chain - one thing led to the next etc.

Do you honestly think he is sitting on the bench against Fiji or starting against Australia without having gone on the EI tour?

No. That's precisely the point. The IRFU invite players & expect that those players will welcome that invite. That their provincial coaching staff & supporters might not doesn't impact those players' decision to travel. But you either have development tours or you don't. Not having them is, imo, the poorer option. My 'tongue in cheek' emoji clearly didn't translate.

But the coaching staff loves utility. No real reason to believe he wouldnt make the squad in a utility role as most of our backs do.

I dont but for other reasons that i dont think are worth bringing up not because of the ei tour

He wasn't going to be picked as a 10 in the Irish 6N squad if he wasn't playing there

Not trying to pick a fight here, FTD, but wasn't Frawley considered at 10 for Ireland despite not really playing there for Leinster?

(I'm sympathetic to the premise but I don't think we can rule it out either based on this?)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought the story was they wanted to bring Healy but Munster said they needed him and they could have Crowley instead?

In fairness hes mentioned not being a fan of frawley in squads either so hes a constant opinion on it no real issues there

I'm not overtly against the premise of a development tour. I just don't think it should happen outside a Test window.

We were crying out for a quality domestic competition for years; we finally have one, and I don't think the Provinces should be so disadvantaged because of it.

Look, we'll see what kind of a squad is selected, but I just don't like the idea in principle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Also, not to muddy the water further, but Crowley wasn't selected for that 6N for the most part. Ross Byrne was the backup and Crowley only got on the bench against Italy.

However, I think it is a perfectly reasonable statement that there is an infinitesimally small chance Crowley started against Australia without going on the EI tour. How much impact that had on his total development is impossible to gauge.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a fair point, and I don't rule out the possibility that in a different time in the cycle, Crowley could have just broken through as a utility player, and later proven himself at 10, but I think by that time they were in scramble mode.

If you think back - Frawley was never really the main plan either. Harry Byrne was capped against USA in July '21, played against Argentina in Nov '21, and was brought to NZ as the intended starter for the Maori games. He got injured down there (in typical HB fashion), and they shunted in Frawley last minute. Frawley was announced on that tour (NZ 2022) as a centre. The fact Frawley went reasonably well there in those games is what prompted Ireland to then start thinking of him as a 10.

Part of the reason for the EI tour was ostensibly to give Frawley a chance to build more experience in the Irish coaching system at 10, but he got injured right before it. Even still then, he started the Maori game in the RDS, and got injured which is when Crowley came in.

I think though by that stage, we were less than 12 months out from a RWC and if you think of the 10 jersey we had a 37-year old and really nothing else. They'd utterly lost faith in Carbery, Ross Byrne was in the Irish wilderness, and they'd tried guys like Carty and Burns without success. They were casting around to try and find an answer at 10, and that's where the gap was in the squad, I just don't think Crowley would have gotten that spot by playing (really well incidentally) at 12 or 15 for Munster.

Advertisement