Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think a standing 8 count was in effect for this fight. So, only choice referee had was to step in to stop the fight, or wait for a KD.

The KD was ruled due to the ropes preventing Fury from going down….same as Hearns in rd 13 v Ray Leonard 1981.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

it’s so funny that people are trying to create this narrative that Usyk was comfortable throughout.

At the midpoint, Fury was dominating him. Ahead on the cards, had him hurt, tired and kissing his cross while his eye was treated. Fury didn’t have a mark on him.

Usyk did great to comeback and rounds 8 and 9 won him the fight. But it wasn’t easy. He had to dig deeper than ever before

At midpoint Fury was dominating him? When most had it 3-3? Seriously, this is just ludicrous thinking. There was only ONE single truly dominant moment(s), and that was the last 20-25 seconds rd 9 when Fury was as close to being stopped as possible

The excuses being made for Fury losing, and Usyk being a deserved and clear winner are laughable. Latest one now is Fury was dominating Usyk midpoint, as well as Hearn being quoted as saying a masterclass by Fury. Fury, being pushed back most of the whole fight, and most of the first 6 rds (midpoint) as well……laughable

it’s laughable to suggest that Fury wasn’t in complete control at the midpoint.

Right. So being pushed back every rd of those first 6, and at 3-3 pretty much; but wait, he did land a few punches on Usyk.. gotcha, complete control..😖

• Advertisement

2 of the official judges scorecards had Fury 4 2 up after round six. 5 2 after round seven.

Of course, scorecards only reveal so much. You can also look at the corner and see the fighters. One was heavy breathing, kissing his cross and getting treated. It wasn’t Tyson Fury.

When you are 5 2 down after 7 rounds and you’ve been hurt with body shots and uppercuts, it’s clearly not going to plan.

Usyk deserves huge credit for coming back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭reclose

I had it 3-3 after 6. Usyk won the first 3, they were close rounds.

Fury won the next 3-5 rounds (can’t remember exactly) it was beginning to look like Fury was taking over the fight and would eventually stop Usyk.

Usyk adjusted and won most of the remaining rounds, nearly stopped Fury, but Fury did win a couple more rounds before the end.

It was definitely a close fight and only a couple of rounds in it. Some rounds were hard to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I see, didn't realise it wasn't a standing 8 he got.

Just on the other point could a ref call a kd and count if a fighter falls backwards into the ropes but legs are still straight under them.

If those ropes weren't behind fury he was flat like he was against Cunningham so could the ref have called the kd earlier or do you really need to see legs buckling combined with the ropes holding a fighter up.

Referees use their knowledge and expertise to determine if a fighter is down, but only ropes preventing boxer from being actually down. There is no text to say how legs are. Referee decides if ropes only thing preventing fighter from being down. Falling into them and heading downwards in distress is the usual indicator/guide.

Fury did not get a standing 8 count. He was deemed to have been knocked down. There was no standing 8 count in effect for the fight.

Just to add, the standing 8 count rarely used as a rule in pro boxing. It’s usually always the mandatory 8 count in effect

• Advertisement

I get ya.

Read ya loud and clear about the 8 count not being in effect too. Was just saying that I hadn't realised it wasn't in effect.

What do ya reckon yourself do ya think the ref could have called him down earlier due to the fact the ropes saved him a few times?

No. I think the ropes didn’t have same “saving” effect earlier in the attack. Referee was right to call it a KD when he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

aye nothing wrong with bouncing into the ropes not the same as them saving you. If the ref had called a count any earlier it woulda been harsh on both and when he did call it he was right.
    it wasn’t the hardest fight to referee but for all that I thought he did a great job

Ya I'd agree the ref had a pretty good night and ya it was a much more straightforward fight than I had envisaged. I thought it'd be a terribly scrappy affair.

The one time I feel they probably nearly did was literally right after the first big left hook that did the damage. Fury fell in free fall back into them, but could then just about keep himself upright after the ropes had caught him.

The rest before the final stagger as ye said he was more crashing into them, still willing some sort of control into his legs.

Just something I was thinking about earlier today thanks for the replies.

Usyk’s jaw not fractured/broken.

didn’t think so not that it’s very relevant. I think team fury are happy enough with the decision otherwise there’d be a clamour.

I’ve said it myself that fury hasn’t much to improve on but saying that his fitness and legs stood up pretty well even if he did concede ground. He can improve a lot in the corner. He can get the jab going. He can forget about silly stuff. He can use his weight better. Usyk would be virtually the same which is excellent but a rematch isn’t an easy call at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just because it was 3 -3 means nothing

Usyk nicked the first few round they could have been scored either way ,I'd you look at the shot landed in round 1 & 2 Fury landed more , Furys 3 rounds he was out landing Usyk by double digits,

So just because a fight is 3 rounds each it does not tell the full story

It's safe & honesty fo say before round 9 the rounds Fury won where by a clearer margin than the ones Usyk won

Th

But that’s the thing..Usyk won’t be the same. Whatever Fury does differently, Usyk, with his adaptability and skills will change. That’s what make a rematch potentially intriguing.

Add in now the real threat that Usyk can really hurt Fury. Nobody really thought that possible, but it really is possible.

Let’s not pretend rds 4-6 inclusive were in any way dominant. They weren’t. Fury deserved them, but he was far from dominating them. Basic 10-9 wins.

2 of the official cards had Fury 5 2 up after 7 rounds. To win, Usyk either needed to win all remaining rounds or get a knockdown / KO.

He delivered something really special when he really needed it.

Rematch is still impossible to call. Some minor adjustments and Fury could win it. It has to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If they are smart and want the big money then Fury wins the second one and they get a monster payday for the rubber match.

by the same I mean the same standard. He’s so consistent. Always delivers. Always focussed, movement and shot selection fantastic.
    mid Fury had won you could say very little that Usyk did wrong. The way it’s gone there’s lots to say about Fury. Usyk made him very uncomfortable but Usyk didn’t take away his jab, didn’t make him showboat etc.

Usyk 100% can hurt him yes. If his legs are as we suspect in decline then it’s likely Usyk wins even clearer. If he sorta out his house and gets a bit more luck huge chance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Carl Frampton saw it pretty much the same as Hearn after 6 rounds he didn't think usyk had a way to win, fury dominant.

Hearn said masterclass. So stupid, not even worth debate. I watched on Sky. Viewers scores, if I recall correctly were 97-93 Usyk after 10. Anyone using words dominant and masterclass for either man after 6 rds is absolutely clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Frampton is clueless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

George groves had fury comfortably ahead after 7 and thought he was going to stroll to victory too. Groves is one of the fairer unbiased pundits.

So that’s now 2 of the official judges, Hearn, Frampton and Groves that all had Fury comfortably ahead. There’s many more as well that think the same. You can’t keep calling everyone clueless because you disagree.

Maybe it’s just you that got it wrong. You admit that you give rounds based on a fighter coming forward. Probably bias plays the largest part as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

come o. Folks nobody is right or wrong it’s just opinion, because the fight was close a case can be made by anyone to back either man but it is irrelevant because the judges cards are final

The internet isn’t for everyone

For that analysis/comment, yes.. like I said, neither man dominant/dominating after 6 rds

• Advertisement
Advertisement