Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran's President and Foreign Minister die in helicopter crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The conspiracy theory stuff spread against the west and Israel starts to backfire when things like this happen. Probably an accident, but then there's that seed of doubt, maybe it was them and if they can take out the president they can take you out as well.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm sure his death will be a big blow, but normal service should resume without interruption.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-hangs-two-women-surge-103838657.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭deezell

Mahsa Amini, the 22 year woman murdered by the morality police for not wearing a scarf, will be waiting at gates for your man when he arrives. He'll be put on the down escalator.

There are no gates, this complete and utter waste of space spent his life thinking he was god's representative. he just spent his last moments crashing into the side of some hill, and he'll soon be forgotten. What a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't find it prosperous that Israel might seek to kill him and make look like it was an accident in the process, but based on the weather conditions at the time and the poor history of Iranian aviation, I agree that it most likely was an accident in this instance rather than foul play. Besides Bibi has enough to worry about without ordering the killing of the Iranian President.

• Advertisement

600,000 civilians died in the bombing of Germany in order to oust the nazis. No one complained at the time. Hamas prefer to expose their civilians to the same fate instead of surrender, just like the nazis. I wouldn't believe a single word issued by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

If there was any political sense, when Iran asked the EU for help, the EU should have immediately announced a new wave of sanctions against the regime.

They're total enemies of the West. Their leadership should be treated as such, and nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's plenty more places I'd have as more urgent cases. And I'm not even including Mayo in that

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭doyle55

Aye, western countries are not perfect for girls but at least they don't have to deal with this barbarity.

https://x.com/AzzatAlsaalem/status/1792526064150778157

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They came down really hard on the last wave of protests. I wouldn't blame people if they didn't have the stomach for another uprising so soon.

• Advertisement

Nobody rational would condone anything like that.

It may surprise you though to learn that other countries, with which "the West" has strong relationships and influence, consistently rank lower in terms in gender inequality indices from the likes of the UN. Those issues and countries should be easy pickings for anyone to exercise their sudden new-found interests and causes. For example, did you know that India ranks below Iran on gender inequality?

And no, to preempt incoming strawmen from ignorami looking to be offended and who who don't have the ability to understand or form a coherent point - I am not condoning Iran or saying they are good in that regard, let alone perfect. I just said there would be plenty of other places I would have as more urgent. They should all be improved and as soon as possible. Most of the bottom countries are African countries with a strong overlap on the countries where FGM is practised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Again, you are welcome to google for whatever you want. But please read a bit instead of just finding something that appears to you to confirm your preexisting biases.

Your response is irrelevant and refutes nothing I said. I never said there are no cases of X in Y. What I said was "Most of the bottom countries are African countries with a strong overlap on the countries where FGM is practised.". <Snip>

If you have access to additional information that the UN researchers and experts don't have access to, feel free to forward it on to them so that they can update their rankings accordingly for next year. Don't just restrict the sharing of your expertise to boards.ie audience.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

The "worse' countries you allude to don't have nuclear ambitions or arm terrorists such as the Houthi or Hamas, or build drones to attack western democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭volchitsa

According to this link, it’s a minority practice found among some Sunni sects, not the ruling Shia. https://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iran/030720152-amp

The reason The government doesn’t get involved in ending it (apart from the fact that they probably don’t care much about a practice that only harms women anyway) is because they fear it would damage their already fragile relations with the Sunnis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I'm trying to remember…now this is complicated, but at least the answer to the question is easy.

Which of these three countries that you reference has never had a female Prime Minister\President:

1. India?
    2. Pakistan?
    3. Iran?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Iranian colleague said everyone seemed to be happy about the crash.

And that nobody thinks it was Israel because there were no children in the helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You know by now you'll only get whataboutery.

This is a very hard time for those who agreed with the poor president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

That’s some enriched HAMAS grade whataboutery higher up to derail from the topic at hand.

• Advertisement

Hopefully a lot of them take the same helicopter to the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Onion on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭3d4life

The location ( probably )

https://t.me/supernova_plus/31655

What the hell are you on about?

Take it up with the UN. It is their index. No point getting your knickers in a twist just because it doesn't suit your narrative.

As I said, feel free to give them the information you have access to so that they can correct their index, rather than keeping your expertise to only boards.ie

It's some laugh to see the usual chancers on whinging about imaginary whataboutery 🤣

Ye spent the last 6 months saying "whatabout Syria, you have to protest those lads first. Whatabout Genghis Khan, whatabout some muslim fella knocked off his pushbike" when anyone opined that genocide wasn't a good thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭susan678

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I have a feeling the late Ebrahim Raisi and the like play the yes man for Ali Khamenei …. we will never know what Raisi's own leadership would be like …. but seeing he has daughters and a wife who is educated he may well have changed things once Khamenei was safely in the ground …. instead Raisi preceded Khamenei to be dead ….

Ultimately Iran has swung between moderates and 'hardliners' over the past 40+ years …. 10 years back the moderates were gaining ground and Hassan Rouhani was even accepted by Khamenei as necessary …. Iran was opening up and slowly but surely a lot of the more oppressive laws were coming to an end ….. until in 2017 a hardline regime came to power in the USA ….

…. not only a hardline regime but one lead by an egotistical novice …. in May 2018 Trump withdrew from the JCPOA and embarked on an anti-Iran hatefest …. culminating in the murder of General Soleimani in Iraq in January 2020 …. America was about to go to war until an unlikely ally backed up Iran and prevented the war …. Covid 19 !!! … by 2020/2021 the hardliners in Iran were back and Raisi was chosen to front for them ….

Various more moderate candidates were blocked from the presidential elections and other elections held during the period 2021-date including Ali Larijani, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Hassan Rouhani and Hassan Khomeini …. reports of Ali Khamenei dying have been often the subject of news items …. and protests against compulsory Hijab and other controversial policies are common in Iran ….

I believe a more moderate government is bound to form in Iran …. something has to give …. it is clear 85 year old Ali Khamenei has run his course and his style of leadership has done Iran no favours …. in 40+ years as Supreme leader and often acting supreme leader when president Khamenei has not been very competent and has masked his limitations in oppression and 'divide and conquer' style politics …. it has kept him in power but to the detriment of Iran ….

Raisi came across as the 'loyal servant' of Khamenei … unlike other ex presidents like Rafsanjani, Khatami, Ahmadinejad and Rouhani who had fraught relationships with Khamenei …. and moved in an opposite more moderate direction …. Raisi could well have been secretly moving in a more moderate direction too …. who knows what was happening behind the scene and it has been reported there is great debate about the 'Hijab' nonsense …. many govt members want to give people greater freedom and concentrate on economic issues ….. it would be true Raisi would have looked towards the future and a more moderate policy to give something back to the people is the only way the regime could survive …. there was talks of a more straightforward military regime ….. maybe Raisi was seen as a threat if not by Khamenei then by others who wanted to take over after Khamenei …. we will prob never know for sure what killed Raisi or if it was foul play or an accident ….

Who would the regime choose as the next president would hint at the direction …. one name is obvious …. Mohammed Bajer Qalibaf …. Qalibaf is the speaker of parliament, an ex Tehran mayor, an ex cop, ex Revolutionary Guards, and a relative moderate ….. more pragmatic and not a cleric, Qalibaf could be perfect for the move towards a military regime …. but Qalibaf has enemies mainly within the far right Paydari and other far right parties ….

If Iran's next president is Qalibaf then it is a signal to something more moderate I believe …. if it is Ali Khamenei's son or some other hardline cleric like Ahmad Khatami … not to be confused with moderate ex president Mohammed Khatami …. then one can expect something that continues what has been ruling Iran since 2021 ….. but even Khamenei #2 or Ahmad Khatami would have to fix the economy and give some concessions to the people to prolong their regime which is stuck in an Iran-Iraq wartime rut ….

The other factor is the return of a hardline regime in the USA lead by the vehemently anti-Iran Trump …. Trump and the warmongering hardliners backing him would almost certainly wage a war on Iran within a year of coming to power no matter who is in govt there …. I cannot see Iran lying down in front of Trump and handing the country over to the likes of him no matter what …. ending compulsory Hijab, separating over-zealous church from state, etc. is not the same as being a slave to America …. even the Shah that is Pahlavi did not submit entirely as a slave to America and actually wanted to break away from being a client of America by the 1960s and 1970s …. the US has had a habit of messing up positive relationships with Iran's moderates …. usually when one president did a deal and another ill-informed usually novice comes along and undoes that …. indeed Trump scuppered the moderates in Iran and brought entities like Paydari to the fore …. an Iran war could break up Iran and allow some regions to fall into the hands of hardliners that would make Paydari look like [Persian] pussycats ….. namely ISIS, Jundullah, and IS-Khorasan …. plus the Taliban will want to take advantage ….

Trump sadly is a man who thinks he knows it all …. but knows very little …. Trump has brought back a cause for Iran's hardliners that was quenched during the superior Obama's term …. Biden sadly did nothing much in trying to improve things with Iran due to being preoccupied with Ukraine and Gaza … as well as the fact hardliners control Iran thanks to Trump's stupidity ….

Iran's future depends on who is in power in America as much as who is in power in Iran …. that is the bottom line …. let's hope both countries do not see the return of hardliners and that 2024 will see the pendulum swing back in favour of moderates as people see the unblessed fruits of hardliner far right regimes worldwide and what they really mean ….

Post edited by lumphammer2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Who is Mohammad Mokhber the current acting Iranian president ….. not much is said about him but he is not a cleric …. he is close to Khamenei and may end up Khamenei's next trick to prolong the regime …. Mokhber does not have the controversial baggage Raisi had …. this could be part of a plan …. if Raisi was bumped off by his own ….

Iran's more intelligent politicians feel they cannot survive any longer unless they do change some things …. anti-Western policy is unlikely to change as the present time with all the carry on in Gaza shows is one when a country like Iran can legitimately condemn all the double standards …. but I feel the more smart politicians in Iran feel Iran's vocal criticism would work best if Iran's people were freer and its women allowed to choose how they dress …. afterall Iran's close friends Russia, China, North Korea, Venezuela and Syria all afford their citizens social freedoms not afforded Iran's people …. the argument that Iran treats women like Israel treats Palestinians can now be made … but take away 'Hijab' laws which indeed have no basis in Islam and you give Iran legitimacy much moreso than it has now ….

Ali Khamenei has been obsessed with Hijab and clerical rule …. other Iranian politicians almost certainly do not share his views to the same extent ….. some see the Hijab law as the blot on Iran's copybook and clerics as limited in their knowledge of state affairs …. afterall they are often only qualified to say prayers and officiate religious services but know nothing about economics or healthcare or non-religious education ….Mokhber is one of very few non-clerics in the job of Iranian president …. only 3 others preceded him 2 of who fell out with the clerics and 1 who was murdered ….

To conclude if Raisi was taken out from within …. it is sure to be over reform of the regime …. maybe Raisi spurred on by his wife and daughters wanted to end the Hijab laws and was murdered …. or else it could be Raisi was seen as the pro-Hijab obsessive who needed to be removed in order to give Iran a new makeover to legitimise its standing in the world …. Iran's leaders are not thickos and I am sure that some of them notice the freedoms Russians, Chinese, Syrians, Venezuelans, etc. enjoy …. even North Koreans …. and want to turn Iran into something more like these …. while maintaining its anti-West character ….. which would be more powerful if Iran was a country that treated its women better …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StoutPost

You're right, it wasn't good news, it was great news! No one on that Ali Kopter was any loss to humanity.

Advertisement