Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

it's a conversation on a closed off football forum…

And that's a major 'think of the children' leap. For anyone engaging in the subject (which is the context here), it's very clear what point is being made. It's quite fair enough to assume the most basic level of awareness as a common ground for conversation. And if someone is actually confused, dropped in with no idea of the story, there's no shortage of content on one of the biggest stories in football this decade to see them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Oh do you think the charges are up to 2019 because they suddenly decided to stop cheating at that point, or because the period after it hasn't been investigated yet?

The players arriving in recent times are more culpable because they know they're signing for cheaters. The UEFA investigation showed they cheated but escaped on a technicality.

The players are just as bad.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

35 of the 115 charges are actually related to the period of 2018-2023, and Man City's refusal to co-operate with the investigation. And delaying it as much as possible. Which is clearly something they are doing as they have something to hide.

As it keeps being said, for someone who repeatedly claims to not be a Man City fan, you're staunch defence of them every single time any sort of a discretion is put against Man City is very odd.

But maybe that's just what is happening now. Deep down, Man City fans know that their club have cheated to win so have to pretend that they don't even support them to try and save face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is this why the charges havent moved forward I wonder? Lawyers are spending months and months arguing about things that werent actually said? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

@Eagle eye With SO many people arguing the opposite view to you, do you not think that perhaps there's a chance that it might be you that has the skewed or contrarian take on City's 'success?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How are Arsenal for spending this summer? I'd imagine they'll be cities closest challengers next season.

You'd imagine right now you'd have Liverpool, Chelsea, United and Spurs going for Top 4. Maybe Newcastle as well if they spend well.

Aston Villa I think might fall short given they'll be in the CL and have a relatively small squad which will be massively stretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

That’s absolutely hilarious!

At least you have saved all those dopey people on the soccer forum who don’t know anything about soccer! Although I hope you haven’t confused them too much by constantly mentioning City players and PEDs in the same sentence. Especially with Pep being done in the past. Jeez, I hope you haven’t opened up a can of worms!

Its expected Arsenal will sell quite a few fringe (and homegrown) players this summer so it possibly depends on how much they get in.

From what I am reading/hearing a top class midfielder (like Bruno G) is a huge priority with maybe a young striker (like Sesko) and someone to back up Saka. Seems there will be decent money spent again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

True, the 35 charges are related to the period between '18 and '23, ,but only in relation to the investigation and City's refusal to answer requests. The accounting period itself has not been addressed yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So the fact I'm saying a comparison is stupid makes me a city fan?

I've never defended City. I've just taken issue with stupid stuff.

If you have been following the thread I already stated that there are charges for the period after 2019 but they are all for refusal to co-operate. The charges are not for any malpractice.

We don't know if they have cleaned up their act since 2019 or just got smarter. Personally if it was me I'd never have got caught because I'd have been using third parties unrelated to ownership of any business I was involved in.

You need to cop onto yourself. It's clearly you cannot see the wood from the trees with anything related to City. There's lots of people like you when they have a hate for something, sadly.

I like to converse with people who can have a discussion with people who aren't blinded by hate throwing around ridiculous allegations.

When have you ever heard of a fan denying being a fan? I mean that's a ridiculous accusation. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bruno G has a 100m release clause. Arsenal are hardly going to pay that level of fee two summers in a row for midfielders are they?

Sesko was linked to Liverpool last year but never went anywhere. I think there were rumours of a 50m release clause after he signed for Leipzig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This has been explained many times.

Can I make a money laundering analogy or will you die in a ditch over a potential insinuation that KDB is Al Capone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There is far too much certainty being expressed on what might happen next year.

All of Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and Utd have a mixture of useful players and money to spend. Bar Arteta and maybe Postecoglou there are unknowns or questions marks around management for each team.

This means 3 of those 6 teams are going to be seriously unhappy during next season. I'm not forgetting about Villa either - although I would feel adjusting to the demands of a CL campaign will impact their league form like it did for Newcastle this year.

But there is a very wide range of outcomes here, barring the expectation City are strong favourites entering the new campaign. I would think the most correct take right now is that a lot can happen and the top four will be very competitive.

Its hard to imagine they will and of course its all just rumours. I would guess though as I said they will have to make quite a few sales to pick up a few quid also.

One thing Arsenal do have going for them is that the have probably never been as attractive to players as a destination.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Villa handled a top 4 run while having European football pretty well this year, so no reason why they can't do the same next year. Especially if they strengthen in the summer as you'd expect.

• Advertisement

I guess a possible issue for them is holding on to their better players in the summer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Aided by being able to play a rotated team in every other game in the group stage of the EC. For example Watkins only started 2 of the 6 group stage games so he would be fresher for the PL at the weekend. That won't be possible next season.

But saying that, the experience of playing midweek-weekend will have stood Villa some good stead.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's also worth noting that Villa sort of stumbled over the line at the end, our early season form was hugely important. If you look at our bench yesterday, there were only 8 players on the bench, two of whom were goalkeepers and the rest youth players with the exception of Torres.

They've really struggled the last couple of weeks and have looked absolutely gassed at times. I think squad depth was ok this season but really unlucky with injuries, you've Mings, Buendia and Kamara all out long term which is the spine on your team and went the whole season with only two centre forwards. Certainly needs to be built on if they are to replicate or improve, probably 3 or 4 first team quality players with another 3 or 4 quality "squad" players.

That seems reasonable. If you assume Villa make the adjustment to CL and maintain the same competitiveness then you either have:

• 7 teams competing for 3 spots, assuming Arsenal are closer to the to other teams in terms of their range of outcomes year on year than they are to City
    • 6 teams competing for 2 spots, assuming Arsenal are in a tier between City and "the rest" and people can't countenance them falling off

I think it is more likely to be the former, we have seen multiple teams over the past few years fall out of the top 4 after finishing 2nd / challenging for the title the year before. Irrespective, every one of the top 8 will expect to finish in the top four next year, which necessarily means 4 of them will end up in crisis, to some extent or another.

I think Liverpool are hugely vulnerable, but would perceive Villa that way also. Fans of each of the clubs involved will have a narrative that says they are better next year. They can't all be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The only team I'd say are nailed on to be top4 again next season is the City machine…
    Everyone else can improve or drop off. They have good seasons or bad seasons. They go in cycles.

City do not.

Arsenal - for as good as they have been the last 2 seasons have fallen short twice. That can take its toll. They need to refresh again this summer and plug those few gaps in their squad with top level signings (LB and Striker). Then they need to have another good season injury-wise again to challenge. It's a big ask. Big ask to go 3 seasons in a row with City. I wouldn't be surprised to see a hangover next season.

Liverpool - New manager so there could be a bedding in period, but the structure behind the manager is top class. I think they will improve again and will go close next season barring the manager being way out of his depth or something. BUT I also think this might be a good summer to cash in on Salah and look to the next generation if there is a big money offer from Saudi again. Timing these sales correctly is key to sides trying to chase the machine.

That might mean Liverpool won't win the league next season (any maybe struggle a bit more in the immediate future) but they could be better positioned to win the league after that by selling Salah. They have people in place who would be smart enough to make that call no doubt and I am sure they will cover all angles.

Villa - I would be surprised if they do as well next season. I think a bit of regression while playing CL could be seen here, similar to the struggles Newcastle had this season. Again - signings will be key and if anyone comes in for their better players. I'd guess they will drop down a couple of positions anyway at least.

Spurs - Son is getting older so they will need to look at the top of the pitch this summer. Richarlison, Werner etc.. are not the players to lead a side to a serious challenge. Ange has them looking class one week and headless the next and that is down to players imo. So they need to replace the players in the squad who don't suit the style if they want it to work more consistently. Not sure how much money they will have but they will have to get clever with a few signings.

Chelsea - It has come together a lot better in the last couple of months. They have momentum and if they get a better striker this summer then there's a top4 team in there, somewhere potentially. Still a bit up in the air on what they are exactly.

They need a CB to replace Thiago Silva as well. Couple of more spots around the squad need improvement. Can they keep James fit? But a lot more positive than it was just 3 months ago

Newcastle - Keeping Bruno G and Isak will be their main story. Keep them and add to the squad smartly and they can push on. Lose them and they have a lot of work to do to get this team above the other clubs going for top4. Lose those 2 and I can't see any realistic challenge from them for CL.

United - Basket case but hopefully that is changing. Some good young talent in the squad but realistically the level of change needed won't happen in one summer window. Need 5/6 players but United have needed 5/6 players for 10 years. The aim for United needs to be to add ~10 points on to the 60 they got this year and hope that the 70-ish points are enough for CL football (Should be if the PL can claim the 5th CL spot next season).

United's aim needs to be that they will have a team that can peak in 2 seasons time or so. A good bit of deadwood to remove yet. ETH needs a strong start to next season with clear improvement needed if he survives the summer.
    The positive is INEOS seem to be putting a modern football structure in place at last but the full effect of that will take time. United are playing a catch-up game now.

####

So looking at all the main clubs. 5 out of the 8 would have hopes to fight for top 4/5 next season at best IMO

Arsenal / Liverpool are the only teams that realistically have a shot at City and that requires them to have very very good summers. It's so difficult to see an end to the City machine next season anyway.

City got a couple of summer signings wrong last year. They very likely won't do the same again.
    They will soon have to start their KDB replacement search. But I think this shows the difference that City's "accounting" has gained them.

As I outlined above I think this would be a good summer for Liverpool to cash in on Salah to allow them to build for the future. City can buy their KDB replacement and keep KDB around in case it doesn't work out or just have the luxury of keeping him around until they are 100% sure they have got it right by testing the replacement, even letting the replacement learn from KDB.

City will never have to offload KDB to refresh their squad so they can be a better team in 2 seasons time.

Post edited by IncognitoMan on

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Normally I'd agree, but going toe to toe and missing out season on season against a relentless City side takes its toll. The Arsenal players now know they have to be almost perfect from the off and that only brings increased pressure. Arsenal also had a ridiculous good year on the injury front, I'm not sure how they would coup with a key player missing for 2/3 months plus.

I remember the year Liverpool won it, they won't something ridiculous like 26 of the first 27 games and yet they still feared a City revival. That's the kind of pressure they implement on teams!

Post edited by IrishOwl... on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Their form over the final 10 games of the season (13 points from 30) suggests that Villa were fortunate to get over the line. Tottenham suffered a collapse during the run-in and only finished 2 points behind Villa. Chelsea (21/30) and Newcastle (20/30) were eating up the ground behind them both.

68 points is the lowest points total to qualify for the Champions League in some time, pre-covid it would have meant a 5th/6th place finish at best. This season, Villa were fortunate that Tottenham were unable to replace Kane, Newcastle were devestated by injuries and Chelsea went on a crazy shopping spree last year. It's unlikely that the challenge of qualifying for the Champions League will be easier next season.

Everyone I know of thinks of City as cheats, but I've never heard anyone claim the cheating is down to their players taking peds. Regardless of the morals of the Lance comparisons. That's a bit of ridiculous thing to say if you ask me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was impressed with them yesterday v Arsenal. Thought Dyche had them set up well & posed plenty of problems on the counter attack. Were never going to go toe-to-toe with Arsenal at their own game so thought Dyche was clever in his tactical approach.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Since 29th October Everton actually have 1 more point than Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

city didnt win the CL this season. i'd say they buy 3 75-100m players in the summer, win the PL comfortably and will be in the mixer for another treble.

i cant see arsenal keeping pace next season. while city will improve their squad arsenal will be trying to improve their first 11. they were relatively injury free all season which prob wont happen next season.

liverpool should be able to secure top 4 also. their team is just very good. the only thing that derails them next season will still be mourning the loss of klopp.

if ETH is to believed, injuries cost them this season. without those, they should also be expecting top 4.

i reckon chelsea will also be in the mixer for top 4. their end of season form is excellent but i thank palmer has a big drop off next season.

i see villa and newcastle falling away, and i reckon ange's honeymoon will come to a grinding halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Man City consistently pick up 25+ points in the final 10 games of the season. To have a realistic chance of beating them to the league title a team needs to be near perfect. Klopp's Liverpool stumbled in each head to head title challenges, so they found another way.

They changed the pre-season in 2019 so that the players were near peak fitness for the beginning of the season, three months earlier than usual. Instead of improving fitness as the season progressed, the team was a juggernaut from the start. Winning the first 8 games was crucial because it meant a change of dynamic when playing Man City who were already 8 points behind. Failing to close the gap was a psychological blow to the City players.

In the summer of 2022, De Bruyne said in an interview that they had given up any hope of winning the league that season by game #19, Liverpool were on 55 points, 16 ahead of Man City. That's when Guardiola's Man City usually kick on and drive for the title in the second half of the season. To be at their best they need a team to go head to head with. In the second half of the season, Liverpool got 44 points, while Man City got 43. Only in Guardiola's first season as manager did Man City pick up fewer points in the second half of a season.

Arteta's Arsenal pushed then to getting 51 points in the second half of this season, Liverpool had pushed them to 54 points in 2018/19.

Klopp provided a template for getting the better of Man City, Arteta will have to make a change instead of just emulating them.

the more i think about it the more i lean towards no.

the team is shocking and looking at the stats, it aint due to the injuries. united have played maybe 3 good games all season. dismal. maybe even since last april have only played 3 good games.

so many players need to be moved on so that may save him.

it'll depend on the ambitions of the owners. for example, if i was them i would approach ancelotti even if only a 1% of getting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Villa owners are the 3rd richest in the league and they aren’t afraid to spend I doubt they are worried about holding onto there players. They have champions league football now and have plenty of money to spend.

Regards,

P.

ETH really needs to improve Man Utd's attack, drastically, if he does stay.

Man Utd were the lowest scorers in the top half this season, with 57, and they only scored 1 goal extra last season so the attack really isn't firing. They are the 8th highest scorers over the last 2 seasons combined, just ahead of Brentford.

Man Utd had their injury problems this season, certainly in defence, but the attack (Rashford, Bruno, Garnacho, Hojlund, Antony) were all largely fit for the season and in the squad nearly every week.

sad stuff really. the below was said 4 years ago. do the PL really want to see justice, or give us that illusion?

It was as long ago as 2021 that the most senior judge in the UK, Lord Justice Males, said: “This is an investigation which commenced in December 2018. It is surprising and a matter of legitimate public concern that so little progress has been made after two and a half years during which, it may be noted, the club has twice been crowned Premier League champions.”

I think they're going to have address it as this is having a knock on effect on the value of their product. I've said it before but I've never had as little interest in a team as this Man City team, I don't hate them, I certainly don't like them, they're just a bit meh, even the brand of football they play is boring.

And this is not born out of a jealously/rivalry thing. I don't follow any Premier League club so I couldn't care less about any of that. I just find it hard to take anything this City team does seriously, as there's so much smoke and mirrors around them. When Arsenal and Liverpool both lost on the same weekend a month or so ago I zoned out of my interest in the title race, as we all knew who was going to win it then. I actually think City will stroll to the 5 in a row next season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I jsut can't see a way this case ends in anything other than a basic victory for City. If they are found guilty, anything short of having their titles stripped and massive fincial penalties (That should then factor into any version of PSR/FFP) just won't cut it. Everton were docked points for breaching and being truthful about it. Breaching the rules by lying and cheating is another level entirely.

But with the UAE involved at a state level, discussing the issue in secret talks with the UK government… what hope can anyone have? The govenment and opposition have also evaded questions on whether foreign policy could influence the 'independent' regulator. So… All hail City, i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

For football fans this should be a celebration of one of the greatest teams in history, but instead it's a list of competitions won with a huge asterisk beside each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The problem with that is when City are on ten titles in a row and the Premier League has been completely devalued by their dominance and the conduct that led to it.

City got off on a technicality with UEFA, without which they would have been serving a two year ban from the champions league, the financial penalties will never hurt them of course.

Lose this case and the Premier League becomes a lame duck, it's already a one horse race every season, the only interest coming in the form of who makes up the other three of the top four.

I'd say that the Premier League would have let the whole thing slide if the utter dominance of City wasn't already apparent by the time they made the case public. Since the charges were made City have just gone on to steam roll everyone even more than they already were doing.

Having the Premier League become an English Ligue 1 is in nobody's best interest. The very idea that Manchester City are now the most financially successful football club in the world stinks to high heaven as well. Everything about City is rotten. Of course they protest their innocence, we're talking about people who've never not gotten away with things in their life, I do share your pessimism though, bad guys always tend to win, this time football as a concept is on the line, so no pressure.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Think everyone is just sick of it at this stage.

To go back to the Lance Armstrong comparison it would be like Lance racing in 5/6 tour de Frances afterwards where everyone knows he's juiced and him winning each one.

Even City fans are losing the will to fight. 1 post in the City thread yesterday when they made history by winning 4 in a row. It's poor.

Looking at the Sky Sports YouTube channel
    City winning the title and first ever 4 in a row - 612k views currently.
    Man Utd win 2-0 away at Brighton with nothing on the line - 717k views
    (Highlights have 1.3M views on Utd's YouTube channel as well)

It just shows that City can't generate the interest. Those numbers would be through the roof if it was Utd, Pool or Arsenal that had won the league yesterday. They wouldn't be lower than an end of season dead game highlights from Utd.

But… hey Sponsors are falling over themselves to sponsor this City team because that is obviously the best way to promote your business/brand 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I am waiting for someone to turn up because you mentioned LA again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Yes but I hear it comes with a free hotel stay for the entire team when they are playing at Stamford bridge......B&B with one evening meal😋

I think Pep Guadiola must be a secret Boards reader, as he even made reference to Lance Armstrong after the game yesterday.

Obviously more people are going to score stuff about Arsenal, Liverpool a d particularly United as they are bigger clubs than City. I don't think you'll get an argument from anybody about that.

As regards sponsorship, having your brand advertised by a team that's competitive and winning titles is the dream.

I'd still believe that having anything advertised by United, Real Madrid or Barcelona is bigger though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s just nothing interesting for non-City fans about City.

The football they play isn’t that interesting as its central focus is to reduce risk and strangle the opposition. There’s moments of brilliance of course but over 90 minutes it’s not engaging.

From a management perspective it’s the same. They never have to make-do with a bad signing, Pep is never going to be told no, we can’t sign new players. Adapting is spending as much as is required until success is achieved.

Add to that, the 115 charges that City have spent years dragging out by appealing everything possible, it’s no wonder the wider public are ambivalent. They know how much is being spent so it’s no wonder they’re winning, it’s expected when they’re outspending the rest of the league.

There is simply no story to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And yet I'm sure you'd agree that having your sponsorship tied to a club with such huge publicly and officially made charges of cheating and corruption would normally be a major PR issue, and signal a downturn in sponsorship value. Not here though. Odd, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Maybe they should start putting those above the crest on their shirt like other clubs and countries do with stars.

The only people talking about this stuff is football fans online, both here and the UK. The rest of the world doesn't give a continental about it. How many of us were up in arms about what went on in Italy with Juventus? Or any other controversy anywhere else?

The English media aren't talking about it and you can be sure there's no one thinking of it in France, Italy, Spain or anywhere else.

So a worldwide sponsor has no issue sponsoring City.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If they do get caught & are punished for it those same brands will desert them in the exact same way all of Lance Armstrong's sponsors disassociated themselves with the negative publicity surrounding a proven cheat.

Thats a pretty monumantal if though. I have zero faith in them ever really getting their just desserts.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If city are found guilty it won't matter a fig to their sponsors as most of them are UAE connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement