Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, I'll admit that I jumped both feet in on this one without noticing the journal link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What’s your position on this then? Can you clarify?

It appears you agree with it when it makes no sense whatsoever.

Would you not also agree that a Ukrainian refugee is much more likely to be in need of our help then a “refugee” who arrives here illegally and does not disclose identities etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

I can't understand how you've drawn that conclusion. Nearly all the anti-asylum seekingers brigade in this tread have spent months trying to downplay the situation in Ukraine as if it's not a big deal. They've exactly what Putin would want, which is to try and drive a wedge between EU and Ukraine.

Over the last months this posters in this thread have constantly

• Talked about about Ukrainians getting too much money
    • Talking up too much accommodation space
    • How if they can go back to Ukraine on holidays they can go back and live there
    • Only one half of Ukraine is under threat so they should go and live there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well covered on Drivetime on RTE this evening. The Ukrainian ladies none too happy to move to Lisdoon from Ennis, not so good transport links and further from services. Well you know what, if you wanna live in Ireland they may put up with what Irish rural people have to deal with in terms of lack of transport and services. Then there was Igor & his girlfriend who might lose jobs. Well Igor, there's plenty of work to be done back in Ukraine and he'll be very welcome home I'm sure. Complaining about the quality of your situation should be far down the war refugees list of thoughts.

Counter balancing this was the owner/ manager? of Durty Nellies, a well established business near Bunratty on the go for more years than I can recall. He reported that his business was decimated, little or no night time economy and little accommodation to be got locally by visitors to the region.

Would Roderic O'Gorman & Catherin Martin please stand up and give an account of yerselves. It's a disgrace how domestic tourism is being wrecked on the altar of these policies. One lad interviewed thought it was a trade off, that we take the farm subsidies from the EU and to repay, suck up the extra population.

One things for sure, the chickens are coming home to roost in the first week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mykrodot

that coverage from Ennis on Drivetime was very interesting. Kicking out Ukrainians, seemingly mostly women with kids in local schools isn't a good look. Neither is moving a Ukrainian man suffering from cancer and getting treatment in Limerick to Lisdoonvara or Killarney a good look. I couldn't care either way but all its gonna take is for the Ukrainians to start talking about discrimination and the **** is going to hit the fan here! Interesting one to watch. Government have made a gigantic balls up of this whole situation. Really badly managed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The Ukrainians in the hotel in Drumshanbo have been told that that can’t bring their pets either and have to to sort that out themselves. They’ll have 48 hours notice of where they’re heading. It’s in that journal article. So after paying millions out in vet bills…….

As lotus flower said above. An absolute mess.

Do you think the Ukrainian’s should be moved out of the hotel and schools to destinations unknown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Am I hearing this right. Greedy hoteliers are now kicking Ukrainians (who have paperwork and whose country is at war) out in favour of recently arrived AS (many of whom have no paperwork) because there is more money and in the meantime local businesses are being decimated because the tourist economy is gone.

What have we become at all??? There's an interesting sub context here. Many Irish people are making as much hay on this as they can get their hands on full well knowing it is destroying their local communities. They don't care though as long as they get their few euro. Meanwhile jobs and businesses are lost.

We could well end up turning on each other in a big way.

I'm fairly sure the Dept. knows the destination. I doubt there are being turfed out on the streets. I'm struggling to see the outrage with ukrainian being provided accommodation being provided with further accommodation to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes agreed, there should be no problem at all. It's perfectly reasonable for the state to manage the accommodation and location of war refugees. It's disappointing to hear complaints about it, no-one is entitled to be accommodated in specific places that they prefer. Sure, we'd all like that.

• Advertisement

I don’t know if it was this or the other thread but I did highlight that the tender info changed last year. There used to be 2 (one for Ukraine & one for IPAS). I haven’t been able to see any new contracts awarded by Roderic’s dept at all this year. When the Ukraine war started, etenders would be updated quarterly. This year; Nothing.

It’s possible (I’m guessing here) that as contracts have come up for renewal, hotels, guest houses, etc, have found they can no longer choose the contract they want. Throw in The Official Secret’s Act which is mentioned in the expression of interest of private homeowners that I linked last week and we might never really know what’s going on.

So you have no issue with kids being taken out of schools then.

what really should have happened in Feb 2022 was Ukrainian teachers and SNA’s should have been organised in order to teach the curriculum in Ukraine. Utilising hotel ballrooms and also doing e-learning. English lessons could also have been added to the curriculum.

I remember that was mentioned way back in the early days of the Ukraine refugeee thread by someone. Moving schools wouldn’t be a big deal now if the mindset was always about getting home whenever that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yes Arthur, the reason (and get this) is because it's a graph of the IPAS accommodation occupancy -

Nice one - Muddy the waters with the overall increase in the EU when we're talking about Ireland specifically

Those masters of misinformation (the BBC) have Ireland's increase between the two compatible years 2019/2022 at 186% - it's way more now obviously

BBC

An annual analysis of migration figures shows how Ireland experienced a sharp rise in most types of immigration in 2022.

The top three countries of origin were Georgia, Algeria and Somalia, accounting for 45% of all applicants.

13,651 non-Ukrainian applications for asylum in 2022 and of those, 45% were from Georgia, Algeria and Somalia

Remind me again which languages the tweets went out in

Latest figs on state/hotel accom for our friends

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c727n712n47o

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Something I've been wondering about is the assumption that some or most of the Ukrainians will be going back to the Ukraine when the hostilities end there. Would they be welcome there or would they be accused of running away and leaving others to fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

The vast majority are not from the war zone. They won't have any animosity leveled at them.

Who says they are definitely being taken out of schools? If they are, not ideal but refugees can't expect to have carte blanche on where their state provided accommodation is based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm beginning to wonder if this all ends in a massive war or genocide in Europe at some stage.

It's fanciful until you remember that 110 years ago a war which resulted in 40 million deaths started over less.

We already have a war going on in Europe, and a lot of very pisxed off citizens.

The one thing that doesn't change in history is human nature.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's actually why we have things like the ECHR, human rights laws, the ICC, refugee and asylum laws etc. Most of these were set up in the immediate aftermath of WW2 to protect vulnerable people and to try and prevent future genocides from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

As has been pointed out previously, that graph tracks occupancy, not the actual numbers of claims.

As can be seen from claim numbers, the number of people arriving was increasing steadily in the years prior to COVID and O Gormans tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

and time and time again these treaties have been shown to be not worth the paper they're written on.

How many times have we heard 'Never again'. Just look at what Russia is doing to Ukraine or Isreal to Palestine etc etc to see we learn nothing from the past.

are you actually trying to say 2016-2019 is the same rate as 2021 and his tweets to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭scottser

Deleted

No I'm saying this graph, being based on the actual number of applications, shows more clearly that the number of arrivals was already steadily increasing before these tweets.

by about 600 extra per year. The rate of increase after 2021 is through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But without them (and bodies like the EU), it would be a total free for all.

It's incredible to hear British people to saying they want to withdraw from the ECHR. Without that, the UK government could reintroduce the death penalty, internment without trial, all street protests banned etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Very interesting link and surprised to see that Germany has more refugees than us.

Source figures here .

Year

Country ofOrigin

Country ofAsylum

Refugeesunder UNHCR’s mandate

Asylum-seekers

Other peoplein need of international protection

-

United States of America (USA)

One might think the USA would do more given they in large part were responsible for the Ukraine crisis according to John Pilger's prophetic 2014 article.

Year

Country ofOrigin

Country ofAsylum

Refugeesunder UNHCR’s mandate

Asylum-seekers

Other peoplein need of international protection

-

Ireland (IRL)

USA has about 4.5 times as many UNHCR refugees as Ireland while having a landmass over 135 times greater than rep ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

These people should be seen as enemy of the state and traitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Michael Mcdowell and

Michael mcnamara and

Peadar Tóibín..

If people could put in their sig wuo to vote for it would probably help.

Advertisement