Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭MFPM

Reflecting more on this poll today, there's definitely something off about it, and, interestingly, there's been a bit of questioning around it today online. /

I cannot see O'Riordain on 10%, where would that swing come from, no one seriously gives Labour a chance?

Regina Doherty who as I've said several times is a dreadful candidate is on 12% which is about 50% of what her party are on in Dublin - this in a week when they've had a boost - so 23% said they'd vote for FG in the GE but 12% in the EE?

I know FF are/were worried about Andrews yet he comes along topping the poll.

Blighe on 4% - I just don't see that.

I hadn't realised the sample size is just 500 which in constituencies that size is very small sample size. So the M of E and the undecided means there's still alot to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

very suprised with Derek Blighe polling ,It surely is a boost to him to even get mentioned that he is actually running for a mep in the papers .Is he the dark horse

Well he certainly could be if he

gets his mane out there

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour have been on 10% in Dublin in other recent polls. National polling figures don't map local when you've always had localised votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

Delighted and surprised to see Andrews topping the poll in Dublin.

Thought he was by far the best in the Tonight Show debate on Thursday - when he was allowed to be heard. He is a great candidate for Ireland for Europe articulate, sympathetic, understanding and measured on the serious issues currently being debated. Cuffe and Doherty okay.

🤣 You clearly were watching a different debate to everyone else. Andrews struggled from the off and never recovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Far right activist German MEP Christine Anderson really has a beef about EU policies, surprise Daly/wallace don't have the same rhetoric?

Don't agree with her transgenderism issues. Like what she has to say about digital ID's and currency!

Is Malinformation a thing now as well, haven't come across that before?

I wonder if she will be re-elected in Germany?

https://www.euractiv.com/section/elections/news/eu-delegation-of-german-far-right-faces-revolt-before-european-elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How are you related to him ?

Everyone remember he voted for mercosur agreement against the best interest of this country .Anyone with a brain in their head would not vote for him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

She's been a head banger for a long time. Basically a MAGA type in Germany. She's 4th in the AFD's list so guaranteed to be re-elected (they got 11 seats in 2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah I know Labour are not exactly popular atm, but he is well known and the party is not dead in Dublin at all.

I have said before that Regina and Lynn should be fine, but then he has a chance if people turn away from Cuffe.

What makes Dublin so difficult to call, is we simply have no idea whether Clare and Boylan can get their respective bases out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was down in Mallow today. On the way in is a billboard by Wallace that I can only say is an embarrassment. Coming home I watched TWIP which featured a debate in the Southern constituency for the EU election.Áine Lawlor chaired the group well, but for me, o’Sullivan was very poor. Kelleher was only okay but the Labour one i thought had a shocker-sounded like her leader. Of the five I thought the shinner ( I think his name is Gavan - I’m not from that area so not particularly acquainted with the candidates).

Looking forward to tomorrow night when MNW is featured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That X account newstart_2024 your are quoting looks like a wild ride!

I can't wait till the EU actually puts on those "Big Brother" boots you worry about for real and stomps on the rat's nest that social media has become. I think there must be a lot of people like me out there (quiet, not particularly politically involved or campaigning types) who want to see it and are just hoping someone will finally step up and do it!

Unfortunately, collective size and might + influence of X/TikTok/Twitter/Meta/Google etc. means it is beyond our own govt's. power (even if they were of a mind to try). Probably only many European countries working together across borders (therefore most likely at EU level, through tools that have been created with DSA) or else the US govt. can do this.

@fly_agaric Thanks for your reply to my post.

Glad you can get to express your views on the subject freely here without having to be age verified before hand to do so?

It was content of the video, not X account, that I wanted to share. I had brief look to see if there was an alternative source for that particular video.

Strange that people, will still sidetrack a thread discussion to discus DSA/eIDAS than a thread created for it?

Edit: -

influence of X/TikTok/Twitter/Meta/Google etc

X is Twitter now or didn't you get the memo? ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

Didn't know he voted for Mercusor. Remember he's from Dublin. I doubt if the 18% that support him in the Dublin poll are related to him. Mercusor may be a negative but he has a lot of positives going for him; these positives outweigh Mercusor imo. He may also be flexible on the Mercusor deal.

Arguably he is the single most impressive of all the Irish candidates in the election imo.

I didn't side track anything. You started off your post with how you agreed with the AfD MEP about dangers of "digital ID" and "digital currency" and at base how "our governments cannot be trusted". You created an opening.

Forgetting the contents of the Twitter a/c, the MEP also tagged a load more conspiracy theories in the video (hit all market segments I suppose).

I had seen your thread, read it + know you have a bee in your bonnet about the DSA and perhaps the EU intruding as you see it into this area. Was considering posting what I think in it, but am kind of glad I didn't bother now, when I see you posting this video/X channel.

On the seeming paradox of me giving my own anon. opinions (!)…I kind of could not give a crap if anon. social media forums disappeared in current form entirely, and the publication required a link to some id in the "real".

If that had to be done in desperation to keep something up and running with far lower participation, but quell the infestations of bots + malign actors, it may be worth the trade off at this point. I don't think these kinds of fora with anon. participation are essential to freedom/democracy or some such. We didn't have mass use of them before 2000s (?) or so.

edit: on the X/Twitter thing I messed up there. I had received the memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

My call is, in no particular order:

Dublin.

Andrews (FF)

Doherty (FG)

Boylan Lynn (SF)

Boylan Niall (Independent Ireland)

The last seat is going to be hard to call, but I think Niall Boylan will get it.

South.

Kelly (FG)

Kelleher (FF)

Funchion (SF)

McNamara (Independant)

O'Sullivan (Greens)

The last 2 are harder to call but I think McNamara is a good shout and but the last one could be anyone.

I don't see an extra seat for FF, FG or SF.

I don't see the SD's or Labour getting one either. Maybe the Greens get this, or somehow Wallace gets it (I hope not)

Perhaps another independent gets it but who?

Midlands NW.

Ming Flanagan (Independent)

Walsh (FG)

Cowen (FF)

Gildernew (SF)

Mullooly (Independent Ireland)

The battle here is who from the main parties get the seat. FF running 3 candidates appears to be an error. SF polling poorly as well, but they are sure to get 1 seat, but they might get the other.

Ming is a shoe in, and Mullooly appears to be doing very well.

The last seat in each constituency will be a proper battle.

Based on the polls at the weekend and I have huge misgivings about them but N Boylan has little chance. Daly, Smith, O Riordan, Gibney will ensure Cuffe or one of the above to take the 4th seat.

Greens won't make it in South, hard to call bit she won't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I think O'Sullivan could do better than expected on transfers in the South.

Funchion, Wallace & Ní Mhurchú are the only other significant candidates are based in the South-East, and O'Sullivan is the only one in Waterford.

Transfers in European elections can be a bit more county/region-centric than party centric, so I think she'll be one of the better transfer-winners

Are we really go to see a shift to far right candidates in the EU elections?

The rise of the radical right means these European elections are unlike any others ~~ Archive link.
    Combined with the potential return to office of Donald Trump in the United States, we may be on the cusp of a new era of pushback against democracy

…. we may be on the cusp of a new era of pushback against democracy. So these elections may provide us with a frightening portal of our future.

Against democracy? If we vote these candidates in as MEP's how is it against, is it not the will of the people?

And Billy Kelleher tweeting about misinformation today.

🇪🇺 democracy is under threat. Over €400 million was spent by Russia attempting to interfere in various EU 🗳️s.

#Misinformation and #disinformation are dangerous to our way of life.

We cannot allow Russia or anyone else set the tone of our debates and decide who we elect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Where's the best place to get information on the candidates? Going to each candidate's sites are giving very rosy views of each individual, Whereas I'd like to get something like, here's a list of 10 current topics and their thoughts on them?

Trying to be at least semi responsible when voting after having spent the last few years just head down in house hunt rather than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There's always at least one surprise and I'm not so sure Lynn Boylan will get elected in Dublin given their plummeting support in the capital. It's one to watch.

• Advertisement

If they are incumbent MEPs, perhaps google what is on Europa.eu portal about them + what they have been doing and saying while elected? Europa has a "home" page for each of the MEPs, aggregating basic information.

From a few I have viewed it will show EU parliament group they are in, work they have done, what they have said on the record, some explanations for a selection of their votes, their declarations of interests etc. This is not really what you want but may help you get a bit closer with extra work reading the webpages on your part.

Of course if someone is a "newbie" who is not already elected to the parliament (or pehaps has never even been elected to anything before, lots of them this time I think) this will not help.

Surely SF get one seat here. It would be a disaster if they didnt.

Boylan is a real dark horse. He will get votes from all types.

I see the left vote being split between many here.

But it will be hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

Voted for her last time ,never heard from her again in Europe, nope not this time ,most of these geezers are jumping on the gravy train, big bucks for doing f.ckall ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

That RTE "debate" was a mess, moderator just lost control.

Ming probably won by been solid, not sure anyone else enhanced themselves that much, their is clearly a sizable portion of voters worried about immigration but Casey in 2024 is not the man to represent it, just a mess compared to when he ran for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Boylan is standing in Dublin, not Ireland South

• Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You voted for Lynn Boylan last time? She didn't win, so why would you have heard from her in Europe?

I know that. He is a Dub and will resonate well with voters given his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 foolhardy

Anyone apart from FF, FG, Labour and Greens……doesn't leave a lot of choice for the voters really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

"Upon the announcement of his candidacy for the European elections, Aontú leader Peadar Tóibín said he will also be contesting the next General Election here.

If elected to the European Parliament the Meath West TD will be replaced by his sister and Meath County councillor Emer Tóibín instead, if he is later successfully elected to the Dáil."

Advertisement