Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

All of which are now being abused by non vulnerable people and arguably need an update

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Couldn't believe it when I heard FF TD Barry Cowen say the words "illegal immigration" in the TV debate last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Did it never occur to you that people often tell little porky pies? Anybody can say what they know is expected of them in an interview situation.

Question: 'What are your views on the LGBT community?' '

Answer (carefully rehearsed): 'I think they're a great bunch of lads/lasses/non-binaries'

I'm sure that the asylum seekers are a mixed bag in their views on homosexuality but cultural attitudes in the places they come from tend to be of the 'down with that sort of thing' variety.

I mean look at Russia (a close neighbour of Georgia, where Uncle Joe Stalin and many of our asylum seekers come from) where a group of male Irish dancers were set upon by the ubiquitous angry mob on St Patrick's Day a few years ago, because the locals in some provincial town thought they were gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Suprised RTE studio didn’t black out at the mention of that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It's a fair point. And it also applies to those who were offered Crooksling etc but left to be back in town

• Advertisement

Well, anyone born after WW II is of a generation that has grown up in a time of unprecedented peace in Europe but sadly, our history is wall to wall wars :( Europe is heading towards instability again.

I'm really fed up. Here's how I feel.

I don't hate foreigners or other races.

I'm not anti-Muslim. I've known many over the years and on the whole they're not religious maniacs. The more observant ones are more like practising Catholics used to be in Ireland years ago. Having said that the more of them you have in a country, especially ones who turn up randomly, the more you're likely to see an increase in the extreme ones.

I agree that Ireland should do our bit, as we always have done, to help genuine refugees fleeing wars or regimes, but in appropriate numbers.

I have no problem with a foreign national from outside the EU coming to take up a job they've applied for.

I don't want to see a 'right wing' party in this country but I would like to see a strong and sensible centrist party. I would never vote for a far right party.

BUT

I am against large scale immigration of random economic migrants. I'm angry about it and I'm very worried about it and what Ireland will look like twenty years from now as a result.

I don't think Irish people are in any way bigoted or xenophobic but I'm afraid the country will head that way and that our scum bag class will grow and latch on to immigration as another excuse to kick people's heads in. We don't have big cities in Ireland, with the exception of Dublin and Cork and even those are not very big by international standards so I'm worried that we will end up with an ugly, segregated and violent landscape in our little towns in years to come.

At the moment we have about 20% foreign born people in Ireland and that's a kind of fluid number as many are here legally to work or study and will return to their own homelands and be replaced by other temporary residents.

I don't have an issue with Ireland having a percentage of its population being of other races or ethnicities but I do worry about how that number will grow in the coming years as more people settle here permanently and if they do so as asylum seekers and then bring in their families, at what point will we see Irish people reduced to 50% of our population? Is that an eventual possibility? In the Netherlands the native Dutch population is now down to less than 75%.

And we can't ignore the stats from other European countries with high immigration levels where certain groups such as Somalians fail to integrate on any meaningful level and are twice as likely to require state benefits to live on. Why do our government and NGOs believe that Ireland who can't manage our affairs at the best of times will somehow avoid all the pitfalls that other countries have experienced?

My fear is that we are going to see a tsunami of social problems in Ireland over the next generation if we carry on as we are. And I really don't see how we can ever come out of it. There is a real danger that we, having survived 800 years of colonisation, will ultimately destroy Ireland ourselves. It's tragic really.

Excellent post Blind As A Bat. Sums up how I feel too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Id rather they stayed.

At least most are genuine, if the 100k goes back home it just opens the door and leaves room for another 100k chancers coming from Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It's interesting to see people talk about misinformation while simultaneously presenting facts that disregard probably the most important contextual information. In this case, you appear to have promoted a tweet by an Irish minister to greater contextual prominence than the outbreak of a European war which saw 6 million people fleeing Ukraine. This is hardly an irrelevance — the huge numbers of Ukrainian refugees suddenly injected into the European refugee system have undoubtedly increased the strain on the processing systems of countries and...yes...many applicants hopeful of capitalising on that will have done so.

It's also hardly deflection to point out that asylum applicant figures rose in the UK and Europe generally too. That's not to say that certain actions or policies specific to Ireland had no effect on the numbers that came here, but it would seem a stretch to say that "but for" a tweet or two, Ireland would have avoided the increases witnessed elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think your over complicating it - the tweets are dumb, he’s has years to take them down or edit them, he has not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, you've said it yourself — despite the insistences that multiculturalism and migration have precipitated the decline and fall of Europe, there wasn't exactly a Utopia beforehand and in relative terms we are faring very well compared to what came before in terms of peace, tolerance and prosperity. The Ukraine war has, at its heart, a similar imperialistic and nationalistic territoriality as that which spurred the world wars — not migration.

But you're also right that human nature doesn't change. There is nobody on the Right, Left or Centre who can confidently claim to set us on a course where wars and genocide will be no more. Migration and multiculturalism may well lead to conflict in years to come, but monoculturalism has not exactly proved itself to dissuade the existence of war or tyranny either. The key is that regardless of what paths we take, people are willing to keep cool heads and to work together (and compromise) to promote peaceful resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If they have jobs, kids in schools, accommodation here, I don't see lots of them going back at all.

Even if they didn't come from a war zone, it would still be better here than at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

Must be some event the world media would cover in Dublin in the next couple of days 😏 Back by Thursday

https://x.com/Mick_O_Keeffe/status/1792832376265203932

I think you make some fair points but there's also an air of "bad things are going to happen because human nature". We're in a pressure cooker situation and so much of it is preventable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

whats happening in Clonmel is shocking carry on. The absolute determination to get these units built is crazy.

Why couldn’t this have been done for Irish people, The housing crisis could have been solved years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Country/population has to be rebuilt after a War, so will be a national duty for Ukrainians to return home. If not then I am sure they'd have to go through the process for non-EU citizens to apply for the right to live in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You keep trying to conflate the RU-UA war with ipas flows from other countries for some reason.

Pre-war, we had one stream of asylum seekers into the country - mainly from countries in Africa and the ME. This stream was steady over many years but took a massive jump post the tweets and the relaxation of covid travel restrictions. We then acquired a second stream of refugees from UA - This second stream ran separately and in parallel with the first stream. Each stream had nothing to do with the other. The only comparison to be made is they both needed similar huge resources.

Had the morons in Govt not paid out the highest s/w rates of any EU country or taken tens of thousands of UA refugees from other (third safe countries) we would not be under the pressure we are now. These decisions by our Govt hoovered up the accom/other resources and our ipas situation would most likely be worse than the flow we are experiencing now, as those resources (given to UA's) would have gone to ip applicants encouraging even more to come here.

Frankly, anyone trying to downplay the impact of those tweets is nieve in the extreme. The tweets are not being talked about widely on the MSM for a reason. Three years later and the first I heard of them on RTE was recently when Michael Fitzmaurice and Brenda Power mentioned them on two seperate shows. When Brenda mentioned them Brendan O'Connor feigned surprise with 'When was that…'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unless they get infected with Irish "I'm alright Jack" mentality, national duty can go swing for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The treatment of Ukrainians has been flawed all along, there was to be a review next year, cutting payments again in advance of that is populism. These are people whose country was invaded by Russia, there is no question but they are as deserving as we are ever going to see.

All that said, it is somewhat encouraging that the Government have moved to the right on immigration, there are serious anomalies to be addressed. We might be spared the rise of the far right yet.

I think it goes a bit beyond immigration, many working people are of the view, and it’s not without foundation, that people who don’t work are treated far too generously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Kind of like anyone can say anything on the internet?!

Might surprise you to know I'm extremely cynical, everybody lies, everybody is capable of crime, and you cannot really trust anyone. That doesn't mean that you don't give them a chance. A good interviewer can tell when someone is lying, btw.

• Advertisement

Evidence has already been provided that they are not asked about those things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I don't think anyone could have foreseen the War in Ukraine lasting for too long, so it was all a last minute set of procedures to try and cope with the emergency.

So I don't think it's populism at all, I think it's realism to bring our State payments in line with other EU states.

How many Ukrainian refugee's do we have here from Poland where the payments are €9 per day for 1 person?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A major miscalculation that was made was the assumption that the war would last six to nine months at most and then things would quickly settle down and Ukrainian people would be able to return home. Nobody was able to envisage a major war in Europe between two large countries in the 2020s that would go on for several years.

It can be argued that a lot of mistakes were made in early to mid 2022 re. Ukrainian refugees, but this is mostly with the benefit of hindsight. This whole issue of Ukrainians being a 'burden' on Ireland and a big talking point really only started coming to the fore in mid to late 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, evidence has been provided that they are not part of the official tick the box interviews, like I said, a decent interested interviewer will chat to a person, and has techniques to put them at their ease, chat more freely.

If it depends on an interviewer then you cannot say with certainty that they are asked the question on attitudes.

I also have no idea how a question on attitudes would put someone at ease

But there is no comparison between the world then and now. You didn't have refugees in the 1940s complaining about the standard of their accommodation or the lack of buses or that they can't use the gym in the hotel where they're staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

almost a carbon copy of what happened in Newtown (and other communities before). No matter how much the community protest, no matter how valid the reason, they're going in.

Broken promises, no engagement with community, no due process, smoke and mirror tactics, intimation of locals through dodgy security staff. What has become of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It is turning into a 'free for all'. Open your eyes. Look at the complete disrespect being shown for the rules of war in the last couple of decades. If we don't take measures to protect ourselves and mitigate the knock on effects, no one else will. They're looking out for themselves. The UN in particular has shown itself to be utterly toothless and useless when the big states get involved. Not fit for purpose any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

"82 modular homes are to be erected on the HSE owned land."

Its like one of those sentences you have to write an essay on in school, I'd have no issues finding 500 words on why this is a bum deal for the Irish people on that one.

https://tippfm.com/news/housing/mayor-clonmel-named-social-media-hit-list-modular-homes-plans/

Advertisement