Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I have to laugh at these videos that get shared or recommended where the guy is an "interesting candidate" or "makes a good point". And then you actually watch it and it invariably ends up being the biggest bowsey and scumbag the city has to offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭francois

Looking forward to the rage tweeting, semi coherent insta reels and general dribbling as the fash lose their deposits.

Stolen election, MSM and other predictable excuses incoming. They think bots and far right accounts from Uk US and Canada will somehow translate into a glorious far right revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, I'd say that posters are greatly overestimating the vote share they'll get.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Concerned about Immigration" covers a multitude.

One could be concerned that we aren't providing decent accommodation to asylum seekers leaving them in tents etc.

One could be concerned that the process of Asylum verification takes too long and as such is unfair to all involved

One could be concerned that we are wasting huge amounts of money and being incredibly inefficient in the whole process.

Those concerns are reasonable and warrant discussion and answers/plans from Elected officials and candidates for office.

However there are those whose concerns are not those things - They say things like "Ireland for the Irish" and "Go back to where you came from" and "They're all rapists and paedos" or use terminology like "Fighting Age male". Or even invent stories of attempted kidnappings and assaults to create anger and confusion.

Do I need to explain to you which of the above concerns are those of Racist Xenophobic arseholes or can you work that out for yourself??

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭paul71

So 64% are not concerned. That seems to reflect my opinion of general sentiment.

• Advertisement

I am reminded of an apt description of the brexit debate in the UK. Not all Brexiteers are xenophobes but all xenophobes will vote for Brexit.

When discussion the National party it quote can take a little more Nuance. Not all racist scum will vote for The National Party, but all who will vote for them are racist scum, and those who shill for them are also racist scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's because you made another irrelevant statistical post.

The poster said that 1) nazis/neo-nazis/fascists et al are bad people, and 2) people who spread videos must only be doing do so because they're fascists.

Now, had they said "people who have concerns about immigration" are 1) nazis/bad people, or 2) are spreading the videos, your stat would have been relvelant; but they didn't, so it's not.

Case in point: I have concerns about immigration but I'm not a fascist or spreading videos.

(Alternatively, it would be relevant if you could prove that all 36% of those with concerns were expressing said concerns by supporting the far-right parites, but I'm guessing the figure's not that high)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Yep, none of the far right candidates are polling particularly well. Think concerned has run away for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Those with "concerns" - fine. Those who have expressed support for the National party - scumbags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The "genuine concerns" thing is one of the biggest lies going. People have genuine concerns about fascists but we get told not to worry about it. People have genuine concerns about local transport and services but the NP folks couldn't care less.

Are some concerns more genuine than others?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

• People obsessed about asylum seekers in this country do opt for the National Party. That's undeniable. As you say, there are legitimate issues regarding asylum that do need to be addressed.

But that's not my primary concern though, nor most people's concern — and that larger cohort of the population do not support the National Party for that very reason.

Lumping us all together is both wrong and absurd in equal measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

another candidate worth having a look at is the former DJ Niall Boylan - he has some good common sense policies as far as I can see and he seems decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

as usual I address this to the open minded undecided voter who is respectfully considering their vote and preferences.

There are many, many ppl like me who are quietly going about their business of working through candidate lists and making their own minds up - it’s called a democracy.

Just FYI I won’t respond to barrages or tirades of abuse and insults and sneers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,636 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Overwhelmingly, people concerned about asylum seekers don't opt for the National Party — at least, if we pay attention to opinion polls. The proportion of the population expressing various concerns in relation to asylum-seekers is many, many times greater than the proportion that either expresses support for the National Party in the same polls or votes for them in actual elections. Only a small fraction those with concerns about asylum seekers vote for the National Party, and you have to think that what characterises them is not so much that they are concerned about the problems posed by asylum seekers as that they are drawn to fascism to address those problems.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, sure!!

…. it's been highlighted to you several times that your definition of someone with "good common sense" is the people who witness children being kidnapped and doesn't help or tell the guards - either you're clueless beyond belief or, at this point, just trolling.

My money's on the trolling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Common sense policies they can't name once again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭RonanG86

If the concern can be addressed by throwing all the foreigns out then it's genuine.

Get with the programme.

An anti vaxer. You seem to deliberately latch onto every single deranged sociopath in the country.

• Advertisement

People who vote the national party are either are happily voting for Nazis. That's the reality. The larger cohort aren't going to vote for any of the far right parties.

What will you say when none of them are actually elected? Cause thankfully that's the way it's going.

Wants to legalise prostitution. Would not have thought beechwood'd agree with this one, to be honest.

• You don't have to agree with everything a candidate or party says to back them with your vote.

If that were the case, nobody would ever be able to vote for anyone, ever. It's unrealistic.

There are basic tenants of human decency that are required of ALL people never mind those seeking election. Vile racism and dangerous life threatening rhetoric about vaccines are beyond the pale of what is acceptable in a decent human being, all of the persons mentioned by both you and the other poster fail spectacularly on these basic tenants.

As are those shrilling on behalf of these individuals.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed - However given that the poster in question has mentioned at least a half a dozen candidates that they feel are "decent people with common sense policies" and "worth considering for a vote" but has yet to mention what a single one of these "common sense policies" actually are it's difficult to discern where the affinity lies.

And given that said candidates are largely known for holding either extreme right-wing views or conspiracy theory riddled nonsense , the rest of us struggle to see where the alignment is.

Boylan just looks like another grifter to me. The usual mainstream right views on vaccines, non-white people and everything else.

I wish Ireland could stop looking for MEPs in its cultural toilet. Then again, I live in the UK where they sent antisemitic racist Farage to Brussels so maybe I should not complain too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Well if you were to support the idea of leaving migrants to drown, or accused Marcus Rashford of being a paedophile because he supported a charity providing food for underprivileged children, maybe you would be drawn to support people without any decency.

He's a radio shock jockey that often invited mentally vulnerable people onto the show for entertainment. He's unlikely to be elected though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭mountain

this is so very true,

NP, Bligh, Dwyer etc get very worked about immigration, never seem to mention any other issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh, has he now joined the National Party and is therefore relevant to this thread?

It's not the "shill for a random right-winger" thread.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement