Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

They've already proven they don't care about the environment and waste. Remember that next time a further tax is slapped on because environment

Because that would never occur to the arrogant senior politicians here. McEntee would never want to be seen to ask for help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I wonder what they would do if an Irish Homeless person was among them - maybe they should go in amongst them and see will they get bed and board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I dont see what would be wrong with it.

UK been trying to get more assistance from France. If us helping UK out benefits us ultimately, I don't see the problem. We'd be helping each other out rather than approaching UK with our cap in hand as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Interesting what Cowen said last night

"Mr Cowen said ten weeks ago one in eight people were raising it on the doorsteps but was now "one in two".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's time to send FFFGG/Labour/Soc.Dems/PBP "the Woke left" a message in the Euro elections that the current open for all policies aren't sustainable or working…

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

I do believe he is right. We live in a regular private estate. Every day, we have canvassing papers pushed through our letter box. Not once has anyone knocked on our door. They are doing it during the day so they dont meet people either. Before this, you,d have the candidates themselves coming around in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd still be sceptical this will result in people voting for right wing candidates in large numbers. It's all very well people saying they are concerned about immigration at the doorstep, but it's more than likely they will continue to vote for FF, FG, SF, Labour, Greens, Soc Dems, PBP etc. People can take on board ideas that appeal to the right wing without necessarily feeling the need to vote for right wing parties or candidates.

I agree with you. We should be working with and not against our neighbour. But arrogance means that some people will never admit they don't have a handle on this and need help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Every bit of plant and equipment that was at the site in Clonmel this morning is being moved off.
    I was watching a live feed from there this morning and I thought that the bobcat and dumper was just going in through the second entrance and work would start. But no, low loaders now taking everything away including lighting and toilet cabins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yep, they are desperate to hide the problem and pur Government's solution will be to appease them.

Absolute turncoats. A truly horrible shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I agree that some of the issues we have experienced (and are currently experiencing) were and are preventable. But I do also believe that in pressured, novel, or unexpected circumstances we do need to be a bit more allowing for the fact that "getting it right" is difficult. There is nothing wrong with criticising the government — it is a healthy feature of any democracy — but I think there's a serious level of arrogance on here as to how assured people are that all of the issues are just down to complete incompetence, treachery, conspiracy and lefty liberal wokeness. Unless people are willing to lift their heads out of the tendency to lazily promote an argument by simply emnifying politicians or migrants / asylum seekers, they should reflect on the fact that they are part of the reason why we will struggle to come to rational and workable consensus on how we move into the future.

And I don't just mean in the little bubble of this thread — I mean in our daily lives and the discussions / debates we have which all feed into the collective discourse. T

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Photobox

Same here. I'm wfh. Not one knock on the door since they started canvassing just leaflets.So obvious they don't want to engage with people, it was very interesting that Cowan mentioned 'illegal immigration' on Katie Hannon's show last night, somebody else mentioned here as well. It made me sit up, first time I have heard it being mentioned in the MSM. Easily known there is an election on the way..

Just catching up on things in Clonmel. What the actual ****.

Bringing in UK contractors to push things through. This is serious stuff.

Followed by a tweet

https://twitter.com/CowenBarry/status/1792678321676779636?t=v03kvotfrsreoJROiA4gdw&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Personally, I find your line of reasoning here completely illogical. But in the interests of fairness and ensuring that I correctly understand the point you are trying to make — let me summarise it here and you can tell me if I am misrepresenting you:

1. The tweets made by a relatively unknown Irish minister were more important factors in the increase of non-Ukrainian IPA applications than the outbreak of the Ukraine War;

2. It is not valid to point out that the pressures exerted on systems across Europe by the Ukraine War would reasonably have had an effect on the number of non-Ukrainian IPA applicants who may have hoped to capitalise from the relative disarray in order to get their foot in the door in places like Ireland. The tweets were a more important factor than this.

3. The fact that other countries also experienced elevated numbers of post-Covid non-Ukrainian IPA applications is less relevant to the point than these tweets and therefore more weight should be put on the tweets than any wider context as to the experience of similar nearby countries in Europe.

Is that a fair reflection of your view here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

For those posters who kept denying that immigration was causing housing shortages Minister of State Jennifer Carroll MacNeill mentioned on a Claire Byrne interview (around the 4:10 mark) that immigration is a "no. 1 issue for government along with housing because the two things are so linked"

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22397158/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

makes no difference. Pro immigration brigade will just keep saying build more houses. Build more. Build more. Brendan Ogle thinks we should with the 'irish' homeless an afterthought .

It keeps being repeated that ROG is an 'obscure' or 'relatively unknown' minister. It doesn't matter if he is well known or not. Twitter does not just show tweets of people you follow. You don't need to have heard of someone to see their tweets. And he also has a verified Twitter account (blue tick at the time). It is not a stretch to say that algorithms would show a tweet from an Irish government official in the timelines of those who may have previously searched for info relating to the same subject. Not to mention the fact that it was in multiple languages so the algorithm would have also pushed this.

Those tweets were put out in different languages in order to get a wide reach. This wasn't an accident. I don't mean to be rude but those who keep saying that people outside of Ireland won't have heard of him are showing that they don't understand how social media works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

if we build a million houses they still wont look after the irish in need here - but by the looks of it anyone from all over the world are welcome to arrive

Try telling that to the posters on here who seem to hate anyone mentioning that Irish migrants are part of the problem in terms of housing demand in places like Australia. A few days ago I got told this was a "rapist's defence".

In any event, you're making a bit of a leap there between what was said and what it means. Saying that immigration and housing are linked is not quite saying "immigration is causing housing shortages". Housing shortage is caused by a lack of supply of housing, and right now Ireland has not and is not producing enough housing even if you were to return the 1.5 million Irish people living abroad and boot out the migrants.

What certainly is true is that immigrants form part of the demand for housing, and demand obviously is something which keeps prices high. So migrant workers certainly contribute to the demand and therefore cost of property (though this is probably mainly felt in the rental sector, as migrants are far less likely to be on the property ladder than Irish-born citizens). I think previous debates on here had centered more so on the extent to which refugees (as opposed to migrants more generally) were exacerbating the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Been away that last few days and trying to catch up. Are these camps that are popping up along the canal the same people that were moved that last couple of times but keep leaving the new site to go back to the canal or are they totally new people just arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

Think of it a bit like Everest...the grand canal is the base camp. The summit is the keys to own door accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Next you'll be telling me what the Minister meant to say.....

You mentioned Irish migrants in Australia, that's the thousands of them who turned up at the border over there without anyone knowing who they were or where they came from with their hands out looking / demanding to be housed. Or did you mean the ones the Australian government had some advance notice of their arrival by flight itineraries, visas and paperwork, that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

Interesting graph. I wonder what caused the massive drop off in numbers around 2002-2004?

Surely it couldn't be the fact that we amended our constitution to limit the right to Irish citizenship by birth in an absolute landslide of a referendum.

Just shows that if there is the political will to do something to stem the flow of numbers arriving, it can be done.

Hopefully we'll be allowed to go back to the polls to decide what direction we want to go in as regards IPA/AS policy in the future. However, I severely doubt the government will risk putting the EU migration pact to the electorate, they know exactly what way that would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

Worth noting the Do-gooders and NGOs are a bit like Sherpa's.

Well, no, I wouldn't question the capability of a tweet to make its way to a wider audience, I just question the placing of that tweet high on the list of influencing factors that led to the elevated numbers. The insistence that it's somehow more relevant than the outbreak of the Ukraine War just makes no sense to me.

I'd say own door accomodation for AS is probably camp 2 with this Goverment and it's the summit for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Gone to Dundrum I hear. Soon to appear at well known shopping emporiums. In fairness, if they can hang around outside our local post office and supermarket, don't see why not in the leafy suburbs.

Advertisement