Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

We're under a rather large thunderstorm right now. Multiple lightning and thunder. Very very heavy rain. Dark.

It cane up from a South Easterly area and is heading North West. Up towards Fermanagh/Sligo area.

Ballinamore, Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looking very unlikely for Dublin, storms are developing inland and drifting SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Couple of rumbles in the far distance from Rathdrum in Wicklow but most of the activity is to the west. No rain here so far wonder might we escape it again? Seems to be all to West of the mountains

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

In East Sligo, it's been raining heavily for the last 15 minutes or so. Very dark for the last while before the rain, sitting here with the lights on in the middle of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thunderstorm in Wexford.

Near constant rumbles.

Had to zoom out to 0.5 to fit in camera frame.

• Advertisement

Its still Thunder and lightening here. I'd imagine it wouldn't be long until it reaches you.

Wow the noise is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

Fierce thunderstorm here outside ferns

Constant forked lighning and monumental rain

Roads like rivers

e rivers

All quiet now. Over 80 minutes of activity.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Orange warning has been issued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

A lot of rumbling and a few distance flashes from that cell moving up through north Longford now.

Look like all he'll gonna break loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kerry the only county without a warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Is that a funnel cloud in your photo, left of centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭The Macho Man

I think the warning for Dublin can be dropped now ..

plants wilting from drought now

The storm near Ferns was epic and ongoing

At thestart it was like driving down coastal florida and then we hit it south of Camolin

Multiple multiple cg strikes

M11 was flooded never mind the side roads

This storm is still building here.

The way it's looking like it's going to build into a county wide size storm.

I thought it was moving away to the south when I watched that storm from a distance. But it seems to have become stationary and is spreading and growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

That's looking at it from Kilmuckridge to Killenagh Road, doesn't seem to be moving towards coastal area, slight east wind probably keeping it away. My garden was still badly waterlogged at the weekend so hopefully stays West of me 🤞

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yellow warning has been issued as well for half the country aside from the orange warning counties

Yeah a bit of a supercell now,back filling/building on its northern end too

Ive returned to Arklow where the suns out,it was dry from just south of Gorey northwards but could see the forking lightning inland still

Quite an incredible sight

It actually reminde me of a drive from orlando to miami some years ago where it was dry on the coastal highway but you could see multiple cg's inland to the west and as you drove south ,we drove into hhe storm near fort lauderdale beacause further south it had built outwards towards the coast

Same is happening with this little mcs,or msybe the lightning has me gone mad ?😂

• Advertisement

Carlow weather has hailstones in Castledockrell and flooding in Ballycarney.

I'm west of all that and it's raining here. Not mad yet. But the thunder is constant to my east and south now.

A bit worrying to be honest.

Damage is getting done on people.

Even thinking of some solar farms and potential for hail damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

I thought the precipitation radar was broken based on how stationary all of the storms are. 😂

Oh I was driving on an errand down that way,thats actually why I was down, there there were fields white with hail and fields completely under water and all this happened in less than an hour and waa ongoing as we left

The rain rates must have been very very high and I mean in the two hundreds or more by my estimation

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Banarol

I’m not confident here in Mid Tipp even though we are under an orange warning. The sun has made no appearance today in this neck of the woods and it’s a cool feeling 16 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Same in Donegal but thunderstorms forming now so you never know.

I’ve noticed the airflow has changed from ne off the cold sea to sw in Dublin ( cyclonic variable) over the last hour or two, this is a big change so perhaps a storm later?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Near constant rain and thunder between Fethard and Enniscorthy for the last few hours, must be some fierce flooding in the region.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Between Hook head and Kilmore Quay atm. Very dark north of me with no defined storm area. Looking at the radar I will miss it. Beautiful day yet rain so close. Loads of loud rumbles. Too sunny to see the flashes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

No I don't think so, but the way it was building up at the time it wouldn't suprise me if it dropped one soon after. I had to head off just after I took the picture. 😕

• Advertisement

I see RTÉ's transmitter at mt Leinster on the carlow wexford border has gone off air

Advertisement