Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I should have expanded to refer to the legit sponsors, not the book cooking ones.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The degree to which you're downplaying this is a bit mad. The media are not talking about the 115 as much as we'd like - but it's still talked about enough that anyone following football to any degree is aware of it. It was being talked about on peak drive-time national radio just today sure. It's been talked about on every single football podcast, on the likes of Neville/Carra/Wright/Keane's Stick to Football show, and everything in between. There isn't a single sports news outlet that hasn't covered it to one degree or another. We'd all love it to be shouted from the rooftops week in week out, which it's not, but to suggest that there isn't broad awareness of the cheating charges is wrong. And of course for those who are not at all aware of football, a Man City sponsorship connection doesn't carry any value.

The Juventus example is one that I think backs up this point in my favor too - you don't even have to be a follower of a league, or to specifically follow a story, to be aware of the 'stink of cheating' through being generally aware of broad football news. Sure just yesterday you were arguing that even the hint of a comparison of something was enough for it to stick and cause damage.

Any sponsorship negotiations that didn't fight for a lower cost by bringing up the 115 as a mitigating factor would be idiotic. Because obviously sponsors generally look for value. But instead we've seen the rates rise and rise and rise. Once again, odd, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We all heard about the Juventus thing when the punishment was handed out. Were you aware of it before then?

As I said it's being talked about in the UK and Ireland and nowhere else.

Podcasts are online, are these football magazines online too, I'm not sure there's many buying mags in shops anymore.

What radio channel was talking about it? How long was the segment on it?

Nobody outside of the UK and Ireland cares about this stuff.

If a punishment is handed out, like a relegation, then that changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

wonder who City will buy this summer for a £100m? Bruno Gamerias? Paqueta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Man City were literally banned from the Champions League (and all UEFA competitions) for 2 years for lying about sponsorship revenues.

People all around Europe are well aware of it, and how they snaked their way through back doors and appeals to get off on a technicality because of the timing, not because of innocence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Whats your point?

You'd be surprised how few know about it. They didn't get punished, if the competition had started and they weren't in it then lots would know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They essentially sponsor themselves, that's where half the discrepancies are coming from to begin with. Saying Etihad paid X amount to be their shirt sponsor but neither City or Etihad can actually account for the amounts being quoted.

That plus the under the counter payments to players and managers, City really should be looking down the barrel of a serious punishment.

Dragging the process out isn't the approach you'd take if you're in a hurry to prove your professed innocence.

This while case could have been finished by now only for City dragging it out.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It will be a great day for football when City are stripped of their trophies, relegated a couple of divisions and given a lot of restrictions aswell.

I would love to see it happen.

However, I somehow don't think it will.

A world record fine and get the bnrush to sweep everything else under the carpet might happen sooner than the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'll just leave this here.

https://x.com/PhilippeAuclair/status/1792213994993787165

That would be 8xbet, who have 66 followers on Linkedin, as well as 2-10employees, including a ghost CEO who used a fake stock photo as their profile

Anyone who is aware of Man City being serial winners (which is what brings sponsors value) will also likely be aware of the 115, where-ever they're getting the news on the one, there will have been reference to the other.

The radio bit was on Today FM today, drive-time (which falls oh so nicely into my drive to the office over here), Matt Cooper chatting about the weekends results with a football journo and it came up, as it very often does because it's fundamentally engrained in many of these conversations, especially coming up each year when the actual 'winning' is done. It's just part of the football conversation.

I didn't say anything about any magazines, I'm talking about all the places people are exposed to sports news - SkySports, ESPN, New York times, Bild, Marca, Corriere Dello Sport, Egypt Today, Al Jazeera, Globo in Brazil… that's a pretty international cross-continental array of huge news outlets talking about Man City as cheaters. It's a thing that would be difficult to not be exposed to, if you're someone who is at all interested in football - which, again, is the type of person a sponsor is paying to influence.

I'm kinda surprised this has to be explained… like, they generated huge news when UEFA banned them from the Champions League for 2 years, then made big news when that was rolled back on a technicality, then made news when the Premier League announced their own investigation, then generated absolutely massive 'shockwave-level' news when the 115 charges were made.

It's been 5 continuous years of these stories connecting Man City with cheating now. So it's definitely noteworthy that it doesn't seem to affect the supposedly soaring value of their deals the way it would affect any other clubs.

One of the conclusions one could come to, is that these massive sponsorships are not all they're cracked up to be - which just so happens to be what a whole bunch of those charges levelled against them relate to.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

City will end up getting a one window transfer ban and that ban will land on the winter window when they never buy a player anyway. That will be the only punishment they will get along with a stern warning letter. The premier League, The F.A and the British Tory Government are all in the pocket of Middle Eastern oil money.

Regards,

P.

Yeah, sure t'was Der Spiegel who broke the whole thing in the first place.

Do you know where I heard about all this stuff? Right here because like lots of people I just watch matches. I don't spend time on large social media sites either.

When I heard about it I then looked up all.this stuff.

And how many people listen to radio stations nowadays? I either have music on or a podcast.

I read ESPN pretty much every day. I'm generally checking up scores and lineups etc. from multiple sports. When I go onto the site there's headlines which I browse and not once have I seen anything about City and charges. Today there's nothing about who won the premier league or Klopp. There is an article about Salah which suggests he's staying with Liverpool. Why is the Salah article there? Simply because he's one of the most talked about footballers on the planet.

As regards their current sponsorship, I'm not disagreeing with you on that. My point was that global companies love to be involved with winners, I wasn't being specific to Manchester City.

And no, I don't think anyone worries about charges. I'm sure they have contracts which say that they can stop paying sponsorship if the club is found guilty of any breach and punished.

And we all know that City aren't going to be punished because the Premier league can't afford, monetarily, to take on the City owners. It'll end up with the Premier league having huge legal bills and City will offer to pay them and accept a large fine.

If the Premier league do end up sanctioning them it'll be a breath of fresh air in UK but I'm pretty confident it'll never happen.

Sure look, I've demonstrated how well covered the issue is across a whole range of countries and continents. Out of curiosity, since you mentioned it, I checked the first link on ESPNs football page right now, a Gab Marcotti bit from 11 hours ago.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40184389/man-city-premier-league-title-liverpool-jurgen-klopp-marcotti

And in there, we have;

"Critics will point to the 115 charges facing the club for a whole range of financial irregularities as somehow taking the gloss off these achievements."

And goes on to talk about it for a few paragraphs - Gab's one who thinks what City are doing is still amazing anyway, which I'd disagree with a bit as I dont think you can so wholly remove the one from the other, but my point is that right there with my first click is a weekend recap referencing City cheating. It's commonplace. It's part of the general football conversation. it's just right there, no matter the medium. Wherever you see talk of City being winners, you also see talk of City being cheats.

ESPN's football page?

Here is the main page, the one most people look at.

The Salah story is gone already.

That's not the football page. This is the football page.

That very first big link talks about the charges. There's also a video about the charges.

I'm starting to get the impression that your argument is that the target market for the biggest sponsorship deals in world football is people with so little interest in football that they won’t ever engage in looking at any football content. I’m probably gonna disagree with ya there.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone claiming that they only hear stories about man city's charges here and and not anywhere in the media is living under a rock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Exactly… I was watching on Czech Canal Plus and they mentioned it on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

You can’t possibly believe that a US-centric sports websites main page is indicative of the level of interest among football fans. Picking this one specifically(while in the same breath ignoring the football section of the site) seems wilfully disingenuous.

Most publications covering Citys title wins include at least a comment on it - it’s been discussed in print, on radio, on podcasts, and has dominated social media - r/soccers top 2 links today are in reference to it.

Everyone with any interest in the PL is aware of it, and the longer it goes on the more it will be brought up.

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sky sports are about the only ones who don't risk the boat

And given that certain Sky Sports presenters are happy to talk about the 115 charges on other TV networks, platforms or podcasts but not talk about it too frequently on Sky Sports itself suggests that they have been clearly instructed not to, for whatever reason.

So you have to go and find football to see that article. How many people do that? If it's newsworthy it'll be on the main page.

I went and read the article and it's giving credit to Pep for the four in a row. The charges are mentioned and clearly described as fraud but they are not connecting it to the success on the field.

• Advertisement

Where is it being discussed as big football news? In the UK, Ireland and where else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is this something recent?

I was listening to Athletic podcast this morning and Lance Armstrong was mentioned a few times (To be clear NOT in the context of drugs per se)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

For some reason, you, in isolation, have decided that this is the cross you die on. 99.9% of posters here know what is going on, understand the cause and effect behind Man City's success, but, because its not on the front page of a US-centric feed (NFL, NBA, NHL, arrested US golfer) you think its not there!

I got this on eagle traits "Eagles are independent creatures, often preferring solitary journeys and relying on their own capabilities." Hmmm…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How many people?

Poeple who are interested in baking and hiking, maybe very few. People who are interested in football? Probably quite a lot. I don't think anyone is arguing some random person in the south of france with no interest in football knows much about the charges. But football fans? Football clubs around the world? Yeah, I reckon there is a decent level of knowledge. Just like these people know Inter might be changing owners soon, or Barca are in a bit of a financial mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I’m in Thailand at the moment and it was discussed on their main football show. Also on the Malaysian coverage and CNN Asia.

• Advertisement

How do so many of you confuse a person talking about the lack of interest in things outside of the UK and Ireland as somebody defending City?

I'm not defending City and I've said many times that they have cheated. I've stated that at the current time they have no charges for breaking any rules since 2019 but suggested that's because they've got smarter at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod: Can we move on from the seemingly never ending argument about the charges being big news. I think we would all be better off for it. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: A mod note was already posted to move on from the Man City charges so posts since that note have been deleted.

If posters want to discuss Man City's finances and the charges they can do so in the below thread.

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Was the note not about moving on around the extent to which the charges are news? Surely posting a live blog article from the Ethiad on Sunday is fully appropriate as the league season closes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod notes are not debated on thread. If I removed a general premier league discussion post in error (sorry if I did) you can repost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Are the Spurs & Chelsea players who will be involved in Euro 24 gone with their squad to Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Spurs and Newcastle I think. But yes, generally all the Euro24 and CopaAmerica players have travelled. They'd struggle to raise a team of XI without them. Annoying for the international managers no doubt, but the release window isn't until June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I might be very naive here but are trips like this really that lucrative? A one off match about 15km away in a country with a population of 26m and soccer being down the list of most popular sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

God those post season Friendlies must be the most stupid things to pop up in football recently. Along with the friendlies United & Liverpool have played in the Aviva a week before the season starts/community shield weekend and they’ve a bunch of the reserves/youth players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Spurs hoping to cash in on Ange-mania.

They went to Korea last year, as did Wolves.

Just thinking about Salah. He seems to be intent on staying. It'd be great for Slot if he does stay a year. Could it also be a monetary decision? I'd imagine he'd get a massive signing on bonus in Saudi as a free agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Definitely I said it in the Liverpool thread, hugely lucrative to run down your contract. Liverpool would want a 100m even with 12 months to go, so it totally limits his options as a player on the wrong side of 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Running down his contract is the best move for Salah but not the best move for Liverpool.
    If they sold him for 80m+ (and his wages) they could start to focus on getting in a couple of replacements.
    It would allow a lot of room around FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Just heard Spurs are doing Korea pre season this year.

Post edited by Pauliedragon on

I think Liverpool can spend around £300m this summer and still be in the green for FFP. They're very healthy in those calculations atm, and don't need to worry about needing to bring money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mbappe hijack imminent then.

There's some reports that an unnamed club have paid Brighton's release clause for De Zerbi, and that's why he left.

Pochettino gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement