Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Just catching up on things in Clonmel. What the actual ****.

Bringing in UK contractors to push things through. This is serious stuff.

Followed by a tweet

https://twitter.com/CowenBarry/status/1792678321676779636?t=v03kvotfrsreoJROiA4gdw&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Personally, I find your line of reasoning here completely illogical. But in the interests of fairness and ensuring that I correctly understand the point you are trying to make — let me summarise it here and you can tell me if I am misrepresenting you:

1. The tweets made by a relatively unknown Irish minister were more important factors in the increase of non-Ukrainian IPA applications than the outbreak of the Ukraine War;

2. It is not valid to point out that the pressures exerted on systems across Europe by the Ukraine War would reasonably have had an effect on the number of non-Ukrainian IPA applicants who may have hoped to capitalise from the relative disarray in order to get their foot in the door in places like Ireland. The tweets were a more important factor than this.

3. The fact that other countries also experienced elevated numbers of post-Covid non-Ukrainian IPA applications is less relevant to the point than these tweets and therefore more weight should be put on the tweets than any wider context as to the experience of similar nearby countries in Europe.

Is that a fair reflection of your view here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

For those posters who kept denying that immigration was causing housing shortages Minister of State Jennifer Carroll MacNeill mentioned on a Claire Byrne interview (around the 4:10 mark) that immigration is a "no. 1 issue for government along with housing because the two things are so linked"

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22397158/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

makes no difference. Pro immigration brigade will just keep saying build more houses. Build more. Build more. Brendan Ogle thinks we should with the 'irish' homeless an afterthought .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It keeps being repeated that ROG is an 'obscure' or 'relatively unknown' minister. It doesn't matter if he is well known or not. Twitter does not just show tweets of people you follow. You don't need to have heard of someone to see their tweets. And he also has a verified Twitter account (blue tick at the time). It is not a stretch to say that algorithms would show a tweet from an Irish government official in the timelines of those who may have previously searched for info relating to the same subject. Not to mention the fact that it was in multiple languages so the algorithm would have also pushed this.

Those tweets were put out in different languages in order to get a wide reach. This wasn't an accident. I don't mean to be rude but those who keep saying that people outside of Ireland won't have heard of him are showing that they don't understand how social media works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

if we build a million houses they still wont look after the irish in need here - but by the looks of it anyone from all over the world are welcome to arrive

Try telling that to the posters on here who seem to hate anyone mentioning that Irish migrants are part of the problem in terms of housing demand in places like Australia. A few days ago I got told this was a "rapist's defence".

In any event, you're making a bit of a leap there between what was said and what it means. Saying that immigration and housing are linked is not quite saying "immigration is causing housing shortages". Housing shortage is caused by a lack of supply of housing, and right now Ireland has not and is not producing enough housing even if you were to return the 1.5 million Irish people living abroad and boot out the migrants.

What certainly is true is that immigrants form part of the demand for housing, and demand obviously is something which keeps prices high. So migrant workers certainly contribute to the demand and therefore cost of property (though this is probably mainly felt in the rental sector, as migrants are far less likely to be on the property ladder than Irish-born citizens). I think previous debates on here had centered more so on the extent to which refugees (as opposed to migrants more generally) were exacerbating the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Been away that last few days and trying to catch up. Are these camps that are popping up along the canal the same people that were moved that last couple of times but keep leaving the new site to go back to the canal or are they totally new people just arrived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

Think of it a bit like Everest...the grand canal is the base camp. The summit is the keys to own door accommodation.

Next you'll be telling me what the Minister meant to say.....

You mentioned Irish migrants in Australia, that's the thousands of them who turned up at the border over there without anyone knowing who they were or where they came from with their hands out looking / demanding to be housed. Or did you mean the ones the Australian government had some advance notice of their arrival by flight itineraries, visas and paperwork, that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

Interesting graph. I wonder what caused the massive drop off in numbers around 2002-2004?

Surely it couldn't be the fact that we amended our constitution to limit the right to Irish citizenship by birth in an absolute landslide of a referendum.

Just shows that if there is the political will to do something to stem the flow of numbers arriving, it can be done.

Hopefully we'll be allowed to go back to the polls to decide what direction we want to go in as regards IPA/AS policy in the future. However, I severely doubt the government will risk putting the EU migration pact to the electorate, they know exactly what way that would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sunjava

Worth noting the Do-gooders and NGOs are a bit like Sherpa's.

Well, no, I wouldn't question the capability of a tweet to make its way to a wider audience, I just question the placing of that tweet high on the list of influencing factors that led to the elevated numbers. The insistence that it's somehow more relevant than the outbreak of the Ukraine War just makes no sense to me.

I'd say own door accomodation for AS is probably camp 2 with this Goverment and it's the summit for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Gone to Dundrum I hear. Soon to appear at well known shopping emporiums. In fairness, if they can hang around outside our local post office and supermarket, don't see why not in the leafy suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just search Clonmel on Twitter/X and filter by latest there’s posts and videos, lads today were confirmed from Derry. They’ve since left, didn’t even lift a shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Mostly new arrivals I believe, some interviewed said only arrived in last day or so. Chap called Brian from South Africa interviewed earlier and seems to be here longer. Q: is SA a country at war these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It might have played some part, but I'd think it unlikely to have been a major impact if the drop off started in 2002 and the referendum took place 2004, not becoming law until the beginning of 2005.

Again a similar pattern in Europe in the same period.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/asylum-applications-eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

More like frostbite. The longer if goes on the worse it gets.

F**k me, it's just comical on here now. The mere mention of Irish migrants and the knee jerk reaction is activated — every single time.

My friend — you are the one who has literally just posted a comment trumpeting the link between immigration and housing. This applies to Irish migrants abroad too. There is no trick or trap here. It's just a fact.

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again (in vain I imagine), why is it so bloody hard to just acknowledge that Irish migrants also contribute to housing demand that can make property more expensive or hard to secure for natives? Do you think it's a trap or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

They can be embeded here, its nice to share them so we can all see without having to navigate phone browsers.

It also serves as balance to the stuff the media will happily put out eg below(20mnins ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭star61

Lack of housing supply … not producing enough housing ….. Well adding to it will not make make it any better - We cannot build anything like what would be needed for an unknown number of people …….or should we try build 1.5 million houses for free ?? Just start there. And as we are going to build such a large quantity to give out should we also send out a tweet asking if the 1.5 million Irish people living around the world would like to return and we will provide them with a free house??

We cannot build an unlimited supply of houses. We do not have the land. This is a farming country and we are going to depend on that industry in the future. We cannot take in an endless amount of people from anywhere, that is not viable, it will eventually collapse the country. I know everyone understands this. I do not know why people are even arguing about this.

Australia also has outward migration too. I guess if Irish or any other nationalities are contributing towards the housing crisis the Australian government are free to put more controls on inward migration until it has been regulated

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

2800 people in tents this week, clearly Ireland is not full

The sad thing is that, if countries actually engage in good spirit, the EU Migration Pact presents probably one of the best chances we will have to actually tackle the number of asylum seekers. The alternative vision of saying f**k you to EU-wide migration policies and pulling up the drawbridge to magically only allow perfectly industrious migrants and totally honest refugees sounds tempting. I can see why people get drawn into it as the solution.

But we are already seeing the effects of what happens when the countries of Europe act solely in their own interest without any co-operation or burden-sharing. Italy is left without incentive to prevent migrants making their way to the French border, France whistles while looking the other way as boats set off to the UK and migrants gather at Calais, and the UK decides that Ireland is the perfect defenseless sucker to ship migrants off to. Then what do we do?

The idea of totally self-serving migration policy is great, until we realise that it also means our European neighbours working against us and each other.

I have no issue saying that Irish immigrants in Australia would put pressure on housing stock.

I dunno if you're looking for a gotcha.

The issue we have here is an influx of unprecedented numbers of people who are looking to be housed. In a country where housing demand is more than the supply is able to cope with. A country where large numbers of adult children are living at home with their parents because they can't find or afford places to buy or rent.

So "my friend" can you suggest what the plan might be to house refugees and asylum seekers.

And "F**k me" please don't say just build more houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

And there have been plenty of Irish 'illegal' immigrants too, particularly to the US.

It seems one of those same fellas is running in the upcoming elections on an 'anti-immigration' platform and people (some here anyway) are taking him seriously.

In September 2023, Casey wrote on X: “I was illegal in the USA before I got my L1. Enter a counter [sic.] illegally and you know the risk of getting caught and bounced out.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/key-moments-as-migration-dominates-european-elections-tv-debate-6385001-May2024/

Orban, Le Pen, Wilder, Trump, Johnson, Truss, Sunak, McNamara, Casey… There seems to be a very strong correlation between running on an anti-immigration platform and looking quite like a spoofer (to put it very mildly).

• Advertisement

Ireland deserves this **** show because there's also Irish chancers elsewhere? Quite a take

Advertisement