Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just search Clonmel on Twitter/X and filter by latest there’s posts and videos, lads today were confirmed from Derry. They’ve since left, didn’t even lift a shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Mostly new arrivals I believe, some interviewed said only arrived in last day or so. Chap called Brian from South Africa interviewed earlier and seems to be here longer. Q: is SA a country at war these days??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It might have played some part, but I'd think it unlikely to have been a major impact if the drop off started in 2002 and the referendum took place 2004, not becoming law until the beginning of 2005.

Again a similar pattern in Europe in the same period.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/asylum-applications-eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

More like frostbite. The longer if goes on the worse it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

F**k me, it's just comical on here now. The mere mention of Irish migrants and the knee jerk reaction is activated — every single time.

My friend — you are the one who has literally just posted a comment trumpeting the link between immigration and housing. This applies to Irish migrants abroad too. There is no trick or trap here. It's just a fact.

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again (in vain I imagine), why is it so bloody hard to just acknowledge that Irish migrants also contribute to housing demand that can make property more expensive or hard to secure for natives? Do you think it's a trap or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

They can be embeded here, its nice to share them so we can all see without having to navigate phone browsers.

It also serves as balance to the stuff the media will happily put out eg below(20mnins ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

Lack of housing supply … not producing enough housing ….. Well adding to it will not make make it any better - We cannot build anything like what would be needed for an unknown number of people …….or should we try build 1.5 million houses for free ?? Just start there. And as we are going to build such a large quantity to give out should we also send out a tweet asking if the 1.5 million Irish people living around the world would like to return and we will provide them with a free house??

We cannot build an unlimited supply of houses. We do not have the land. This is a farming country and we are going to depend on that industry in the future. We cannot take in an endless amount of people from anywhere, that is not viable, it will eventually collapse the country. I know everyone understands this. I do not know why people are even arguing about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Australia also has outward migration too. I guess if Irish or any other nationalities are contributing towards the housing crisis the Australian government are free to put more controls on inward migration until it has been regulated

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

2800 people in tents this week, clearly Ireland is not full

The sad thing is that, if countries actually engage in good spirit, the EU Migration Pact presents probably one of the best chances we will have to actually tackle the number of asylum seekers. The alternative vision of saying f**k you to EU-wide migration policies and pulling up the drawbridge to magically only allow perfectly industrious migrants and totally honest refugees sounds tempting. I can see why people get drawn into it as the solution.

But we are already seeing the effects of what happens when the countries of Europe act solely in their own interest without any co-operation or burden-sharing. Italy is left without incentive to prevent migrants making their way to the French border, France whistles while looking the other way as boats set off to the UK and migrants gather at Calais, and the UK decides that Ireland is the perfect defenseless sucker to ship migrants off to. Then what do we do?

The idea of totally self-serving migration policy is great, until we realise that it also means our European neighbours working against us and each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I have no issue saying that Irish immigrants in Australia would put pressure on housing stock.

I dunno if you're looking for a gotcha.

The issue we have here is an influx of unprecedented numbers of people who are looking to be housed. In a country where housing demand is more than the supply is able to cope with. A country where large numbers of adult children are living at home with their parents because they can't find or afford places to buy or rent.

So "my friend" can you suggest what the plan might be to house refugees and asylum seekers.

And "F**k me" please don't say just build more houses.

And there have been plenty of Irish 'illegal' immigrants too, particularly to the US.

It seems one of those same fellas is running in the upcoming elections on an 'anti-immigration' platform and people (some here anyway) are taking him seriously.

In September 2023, Casey wrote on X: “I was illegal in the USA before I got my L1. Enter a counter [sic.] illegally and you know the risk of getting caught and bounced out.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/key-moments-as-migration-dominates-european-elections-tv-debate-6385001-May2024/

Orban, Le Pen, Wilder, Trump, Johnson, Truss, Sunak, McNamara, Casey… There seems to be a very strong correlation between running on an anti-immigration platform and looking quite like a spoofer (to put it very mildly).

Ireland deserves this **** show because there's also Irish chancers elsewhere? Quite a take

And they should have been deported also… I'm pretty sure anyone here who's stance is tighter illegal immigration controls would have no problem with that, and I am almost certain our government would be taking back anyone deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

" ... Frankly, anyone trying to downplay the impact of those tweets is naive in the extreme. The tweets are not being talked about widely on the MSM for a reason. Three years later and the first I heard of them on RTE was recently when Michael Fitzmaurice and Brenda Power mentioned them on two seperate shows. When Brenda mentioned them Brendan O'Connor feigned surprise with 'When was that…'' Gen Zhukov

Absolute. O Connor is an embarrassment - courtesy of his employers, RTE.

Our "journalists" and National broadcaster all towing the party line. Total unbalanced presentation of the neither rhyme nor reason immigration blitz we are currently (and will indefinitely be) subjected to. Smug, self serving panels on the RTE Sunday morning newspaper panel show. Should just be called Sunday morning with Brendan. Its a cozy little affair. Not very taxing - you'll be told what / what not to say.

O Connor, to be fair, has good reason to keep his head down - (€)245.000 reasons to be precise.

Another thundering disgrace is our very own Joe-you can't say that - Duffy, the "champagne Irishman". All dyed in the wool lover of Irish history buff, never miss an opportunity to talk up his knowledge of the Ireland of yore.

Duffy is gifted a daily platform to interview Irishmen and women directly affected by the current disintegration of our little island. Not a whisper. eg. Tourism being totally decimated, not a hotel room to be had for potental tourists - not a word.

100's of (mostly) male "refugees" being snuk into small town Ireland in the dead of night, without any consultation with the local populace. No interviews on this, not a word.

Again, Joe has 245.000 pa reasons to keep sthumm.

Same applies to the other RTE news programnes. Claire Byrne, anchor for daily RTE current affairs programme, is more interested in chit chat about items lifted from the Cosmopolitan magazine than any meaningful engagement with THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.

She too will have her reasons, i guess. Thousands of them.

If fairness, one can't afford to get too upset and stroppy about this intolerable situation or Mrs Mac will set the new Hate Laws upon you.

Ssshhhh !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It really irritates me no end that there was no political will to provide modular homes for our own homeless people of which there are many stuck at home with mammy and daddy. It wasn't even proposed as a solution.

Yet the same people's taxes are being used to do the same for people who have arrived from outside the state.

There are many people that wouldn't turn their nose up at one as it would give them independence. It's absolutely shameful carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But were those tweets even highlighted at the time? From what I can see, anti-O'Gorman types first started raising this as an issue around April 2023 (Carol Nolan TD, Gript etc). To say that O'Gorman singlehandedly raised the rate of asylum claims through a single tweet in 8 languages in February 2021 would really be a stretch (asylum claims that year were not especially high compared to the past. They only began to accelerate from 2022 onward.)

It's already been explained several times why a tweet from an Irish government official might have had a lot of reach. I don't think anyone said 'singlehandedly'

Well, even if we successfully deported every asylum seeker and refugee in the State tomorrow, we would still have a housing crisis and there would still be a need to build more houses. So that doesn't fall away.

As for housing refugees and asylum seekers, it is clear that simply putting them in ordinary residential property or places like hotels is problematic. If that's the case, then I don't see the issue with the conversion of disused buildings or the construction of centres dedicated to housing them if this eases the pressures on the property market and tourism. That's never going to be perfect though. Other countries have built centres like this and many of the people in them end up staying in them for ages until it simply becomes more practical to let them just re-join wider society. But people probably will need to realise sooner or later that no "solution" is going to be without downsides and inefficiencies.

The more important issue however is how we actually reduce the numbers full stop, and this is going to require co-operation across Europe if it's ever going to be done in a sustainable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Honestly, it's not surprising. There is quite a large % of lefties and woke far left that seems to have a real disdain for anything native Irish or native Irish people. They love to throw around derogatory statements about young Irish people, how most are "scrotes" and are the fault of everything, but the "foregnners" can do no wrong and are never at fault for anything. They chomp at the bit to promote news where native Irish are shown in a bad light.

There were literally people stating it was the fault of the state for not giving mental health services to the guy that stabbed that child and to leave him be the "poor man".

It's not exclusive to Ireland, this strange phenomenon is happening in most Western countries with those woke lefties.

• Advertisement

But the cause of asylum seekers coming here three years and three months later? Gript are still banging on about it even now in spring / summer 2024.

Should be noted too that O'Gorman was an absolute hate figure for a certain "lobby" since he became minister in June 2020. He was already the subject of much disinformation and spurious claims even before those tweets were sent out.

Thats irrelevant to the argument about his tweets in multiple languages. As I said it has been explained several times about algorithms and how Twitter works. I'm sure you've also heard how the internet never forgets

One million asylum seekers entered the EU in 2023. Those numbers are by far the highest since the Syrian migrant crisis of 2015. People are fooling themselves if they think we would be fine in Ireland if only O'Gorman hadn't sent out those tweets three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

You can't compare 'plenty of illegal Irish in the US as well' to the situation we have here. I knew plenty who stayed in the US illegally in the 80's and 90's. Yes, they were breaking the law, I dont deny that. But they stayed with aunty Mary or cousin Tom until they got set up, worked hard to pay their way, paid for their own housing, food, etc. Most I know eventually returned or gained legal status. Hardly anyone migrates illegally to the US anymore. Work in Ireland in a big factor, but its much harder now to life a comfortable life in the US as an illegal. After 9/11, rules around social security numbers, banking, driving licsence, work contracts, housing leases, healthcare, etc tightened up to make it very difficult to obtain the above with a greencard. Plus ICE deporations became the norm if you were stopped say for a minor traffic violation or a fight in a bar. Before then, cops tended to turn blind eye to illegal Irish.

No one said we would be fine if those tweets weren't sent. But you can't deny that those tweets would have been an extra enticement for some. There's literally facebook groups where this kind of info gets shared around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Apparently each modular home costs 400k, that will be some bill in Clonmel

If we magically had zero immigration in the morning and could magically deport the immigrants already living here…

There would still be zero political will to provide modular homes for homeless people.

It would undermine house prices and the (can you believe this) right-wing would be up in arms about giving houses to 'welfare scroungers'.

You've just accepted that there will never be political will to help Irish people and I think that's the point. Why is there zero political to help Irish people but billions to spend on refugees? Can you not see how thats incredibly frustrating

my god - enough to build a state of the art house - this really boils my blood after struggling to finance my own home - I wish I had a total budget of 400k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

We are told our nurses and gards can’t afford rent in Dublin, with some emigrating cause of the cost.

Why wasn’t modular homes offered as a solution for these people?

What a kick in the teeth to the Irish working people.

Advertisement