Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm inclined to not be second guessing the person who was most directly affected...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The patriots are hating this on social media and saying it's a cover up etc. The parents seemed to handle it all with a lot of dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh there definitely is. The locals there have been fed packs of lies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Extremist violence isn't expressing concern isnt centrist, isn't left wing. The fact you try to brush away extremist violence as "concern" is pathetic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They need to take their fair share and stfu tbh.

There are three accommodation centres within a few hundred metres of me, never a bother out of them, the local teens on the other hand…

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

It's Irish people that are responsible for all the extremist far right violence in this country. Your whataboutery in attempts to deny that and deflect from it are absolutely pathetic.

Terry Pratchet

Nothing to do with attacks in Clonmel and all the arson attacks.

Terry Pratchet

This thread is about extremist far right violence.

Terry Pratchet

Why are you continuously trying to twist the discussion away from the extremist far right violence? Why are you trying to deflect from it?

Terry Pratchet

But why are you so keen to deflect from the extremist violence and the arson attacks?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A different ID that suggested Marcus Rashford was a paedophile? Say it ain't so…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Annual reminder that right wingers are more often than not, full of sh*t and love scaremongering, because fear sells.

Maybe David regards women as property?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Do you think that rebelling against a corrupt govt without violence gets you anywhere?

Might want to open a history book on how Ireland became a republic, or why the founders of the US made damn sure the people have a right to bear arms.

Wow, comparing contemporary Ireland to not one, but two British colonies is off the wall stuff.

BTW Ireland became a republic by an act of the Oireachtas, no bullets involved.

Another person who thinks "corrupt" = "policies I don't like" but that's democracy, you are never guaranteed to be on the winning side so suck it up.

You can try to justify arson and violence but the scenarios you're citing are incredibly different to modern day Ireland. The kinds of people engaging in the violence are nothing more than racist and xenophobic thugs. These people can easily run for election but they won't win.

I'm not pro-scumbag violence, but if the Irish people were actually consulted by their govt this situation would never have arisen. Of course the govt wont let that happen, therefore they are corrupt. And corrupt govts need to be overthrown. If this is denied at the ballot box, perhaps then you will see "extreme violence".

If you think arson on empty buuildings is extreme, you have lived a sheltered life.

There's an election next year so yes, they absolutely have an opportunity to run candidates. If they don't get elected, that's not a right to engage in extreme violence. An arson attack also always has the risk of killing a person such as emergency service workers or squatters. You absolutely are pro thug violence, you're defending it. Do you also think it's acceptable for them to be harassing library staff? Where exactly do you draw the line?

Please dont lump everything in with everyone else. People opposed to mass immigration have a right to be listened to by the govt. They dont have to wait till election time. In this case the govt has deliberately chosen not to listen to its people, and so the people have had to take extreme measures, such as arson.

As for harassing library staff - what has that got to do with mass immigration? And no I dont condone it, nor do I even know anything about it.

It's the exact same far right individuals that are harassing library staff.. So just to clarifying, you're justifying arson?

• Advertisement

Will you listen to yourself.

Nobody has "had to take extreme measures", they chose to, because they are racist scumbags.

Politicians won't listen to them because they (a) only represent a tiny minority and (b) are racist scumbags.

It's quite conceivable that there is only a literal handful of people in the entire country who are carrying out these attacks, but you want the government to ignore millions of voters and listen to the handful instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. They never said a word when people were rotting on HSE trolleys and young people educated by the state (myself included) were emigrating en masse. They don't give a sh*t about real Irish people. All they care about is their racism and we can all see it.

It's easy to spend all of one's time on an echo chamber and think that a great upheaval is coming. Go outside and you'll find that most people's concern is living their own lives.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Lots of cope there lads. All the same people. Baha. Absolutely delusional.

The country is now flooded with people on welfare by default, all of these people are now displacing working people and their families for state services.

This will mean the HSE is under more pressure and it's the same with housing, schooling and employment (lower wages).

And you fools think it's racism.

Also just because some fringe group got propagandised from Facebook do not make them the spokespeople for literally everyone else opposed to govt policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

More fake concern and whataboutery. Pass.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Bad faith responses like this should strip you off mod abilities.

Disgraceful and very in character of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mountain

the government is democratically elected,

Are you suggesting that every decision is put to a plebiscite?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So if the current government get democratically re-elected then you and your friends will become violent because the majority disagreed with your opinion you didn't get your way?

How do you suggest the Irish people be consulted? Should they be consulted on every issue or only the ones you think are important?

Someone has never heard of tyranny of the majority. If the country had voted down the abortion referendum, would you tell all the women to stop protesting?

Also lumping me in with them (people I've net met, have no contact with but can understand their frustration to the point of arson) is just you trying to label me.

It's real big brain stuff, like calling everyone you disagree with "far right". Or my personal favorite - saying that Ukrainian conscription is wrong means I support Putin (even though he's doing the exact same thing).

Tarring everyone with the same brush because you can only think right v left and do not understand nuance is just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

European peoples should have been given a referendum on whether they approved of a mass immigration policy — both in terms of European migration and non-European migration.

We often have referenda on very silly things, such as the last referendum, that have negligible effects on the country.

Mass migration has much more implications on every single aspect of society.

There should have been a referendum. Had that happened, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in with far-right parties popping up and we wouldn't have people rioting or committing arson.

(And no, rejecting mass migration isn't the same as pulling up the drawbridge. Reasonable numbers that benefit the economy, and from countries whose values align with our own liberal values, are absolutely welcome and needed).

• Advertisement

Did the repeal campaigners start burning down buildings? It was a non violent protest movement, that's pretty different to what you're attempting to justify. You very much so deserve to be lumped in with them when you're trying to justify arson.

Advertisement