Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Fuel Payments for pensioners on 52k per year, Is Our welfare system out of touch?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Surely the pensioners with contribitory state pensions deserve to draw them ,what about the influx of oap from Ukraine and the parents of refugees who arrive here ,clog up our hospitals ,qualify for medical cards and qualify for state pension while never working here for even 1 day in their lives maybe point the finger at them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are legally allowed draw them down yes. They are drawing out far more than they ever put in though (not that it is that relevant, as it is a current expenditure). You can decide for yourself who "deserves" what in your judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Pensioners who contributed all their working lives and rely on the state contributory pension receive 277pw, while someone who never worked and never paid into the SW pot will receive 266pw. I know that cohort also covers citizens who cannot work through disability, but it is a very small difference in the amount for those who actually paid for their pension.

Also, workers will likely have paid for their own home, gp, medicines, etc etc. throughout their working life, while a non-worker would have received those items from the state in addition to other supports that are not available to most workers.

People seem to forget that a state contributory pension has been paid into (for many years) by those receiving it.

So I do not begrudge my taxes going to support a citizen who has worked and contributed to the public purse over several decades. Whether that is providing a GP card for over 70's, or help to heat their home if they meet the qualifying tests, older age citizens should be supported. They are the people who stayed here through the recessions and tough times when the country was broke, raised families, worked and paid high taxes.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

DO you have anything to back that up? like a euro years ago is probably now similar to what a 5 euro is worth. So saying more is based on what?

The minimum wage now is €12.70? if you earned that 40 years ago you would be one of the higest earners in Ireland.

Maybe you could explain what you mean when you say "Also today's young people are spending far, far more of their money?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,881 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This discussion is not about those receiving the contributory OAP, but those receiving the contributory OAP plus a substantial occupational / private pension on top.

They're a lot richer than most working people, given advantageous tax treatments, non-means-tested GP cards, no kids to pay for, and no rent or mortgage (in almost all cases).

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This sounds like begrudgery to me.

There are means test all over the social welfare system, and some are harsh and some are lenient.

For example, child allowance is paid for all qualifying children without any means test and is not subject to income tax. Whereas fuel allowance is means tested and is a gateway to other benefits.

But that is the way it is, and it is the Gov that sets the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

stop bashing pensioners who saved for their own retirement and paid hundreds of thousands of tax in their lifetime.

Save your complaints for freeloaders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is it not fair to say they already paid for their kids, and went through periods of high interest rates on mortages pethaps paid a top rate of tax if 65%?

All that time they prioritised paying home loans instead of going on expensive holidays, had no fancy designer clothes, no new cars every few years and lived in houses that were not fully furnished from the start because they could not afford to furnish them.

I say all this because that's what my parents did and I have no problem with others like them having a good retirement with no money worries.

People coming behind them are far less prudent or savvy with money, and get much more from the state than they did and pay much lower rates of tax. Still, they look to retirees with high incomes (many of which still pay tax) and say they have it too good and should make do with less non means tested state benefits like free GP etc. To bring this back to opening sentence, that does not seem fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I think you will find the freeloaders are the ones bashing the pensioners

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Those people paid into a private pension, good for them, they also obviously earned quite a bit to be able to amass such a private pension, wouldn't you agree? yes, great, now that we agree on that we can also agree that they would have also paid a fair lump in taxation through PAYE & PRSI over the years too, great, so now we are on the same page, why do you want to penalise them for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Where did their high income come from?

A previous high income I guess, which they paid tax on, so what exactly is your issue?

They were better off than most while they were working, and they're even better off now that they're retired.

I'm not seeing why they should be getting benefits (not entitlements but benefits) people much poorer than them don't get, all while getting favourable tax treatment too.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭CarProblem

"Debate" around pensioners entitlements, like water charges and inheritance taxes, a case study in cognitive dissonance

• we should tax the rich, except if they've gotten to the (arbitrary enough) age of 65
    • you pay tax "all your life" - you're exempt from any scrutiny but only once you hit 65. Should a person (me for example) in their 40s having paid a large 7 figure sum in income taxes alone (then add in indirect taxes) be entitled to anything? No - however the day you hit 65 then yes. I don't hear anyone saying "these people under 65 pay shedloads of tax - give them a medical card it's the least they deserve" but once one becomes a certain age they've "contributed" so should get the red carpet treatment
    • funniest is when left leaning people start making an argument for a system where the more you pay into the system the more you should get out - but of course only once a person hits the magical age of 65. Before that you're merely a sponge that no matter how much you're squeezed for then they're like an insatiable monster wanting more, more, more from you

Its no wonder pensioners are so cossetted by politicians (over 65 demographic experiences lowest levels of deprivation, poverty, at risk of poverty etc) and the old age pension has increased by multiples of CPI in the past 30 or so years. Not only are they protecting the grey vote but they lose relatively few votes (if any) from the U65s paying for the largess

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They didn't pay tax on the income that they put into their pension plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem the cosseted pensioners face is that life expectancy is quite limited compared with those of half their age.

Plus of course, not only is their life expectancy limited, their future health status is probably not great either. Of course health problems for pensioners do not come in single spies but in battalions. Nobody looks forward to the medical conditions that beset the elderly - dementia, Parkinson, heart problems, COPD, and general frailty..

And then there is the old peoples home and the cost of it to look forward to as the light declines.

So the begrudgery is misplaced.

Nobody pays tax on their standard pension contributions (within revenue limits)

That's my point, they availed of a very generous tax break.

You are talking about a very small cohort of people who can salt away vast pensions from their own assets.

Look instead at the top civil servants who get huge pensions, and include in that politicians.

However, they ar not a large percentage of those over 66.

This thread is all about begrudgery.

There's a lot more than "a very small cohort" putting money into pensions with 40% tax relief.

Look at the huge industry that has developed to meet the needs of these savers.

Do you have any figures to substantiate your 'huge industry' to help the private pension industry?

I think the bulk of the private pension business is for relatively small savers. I doubt there are many who are inconvenienced by the Revenue fund limit of pension pots.

Of course these benefiting from such pensions will not qualify for the WFP of the title of this thread.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I am not sure what your point is on the tax free pension contributions and this thread Ultimately to be pensionable, it has to earned income. These people that the OP and other mentioned with big pensions worked for them. The tax break means nothing, it's still their money. They were not just given them. All through their working lives they paid tax, and perhaps benefited little from welfare during that time.

Meanwhile there is a significant cohort of people that for various reasons contributed little to nothing, got or are getting.loads of welfare benefits and now see these 'rich former workers' with big pensions as fair game to criticise for getting some State benefits in their later years so they can get even more benefits. As others said, it's just begrudgery.

Personally, I think it's a great idea that older people have free GP cards etc. The State knows these people are more likely to attend for regular check ups where minor medical ailments can be detected early and possibly divert them away from a chronically stretched health service. The State is clearly thinking or playing the long game.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

You pay tax on the pension fund on draw down.

Tax free on entry to encourage people to provide for themselves in their retirement.

The efforts of the industry to get the €2million cap raised to €5 million recently wouldn't suggest a focus on small savers.

'The tax break means nothing'???? The tax break means a 40% uplift on their pension fund, with tax foregone by the State as a result. If it means nothing, then let's just wipe out the tax break and see how many people reckon it means nothing! They benefit hugely from growth of the tax free amount too of course.

They're also far less likely to pay tax on that money, certainly not ALL of that money, given the generous tax breaks for older people.

But the government has to pay them the OAP regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

YES - the very people you refer to pay loads of prsi/tax AND also pay into a private pension.

Perhaps I am missing your point?

You are so argumentative. I wonder at times if you're know what you are taking about. You are making out that people are getting free money or something. It's their money, they earned it to do what they like with it.

The State for multiple reasons allows people to contribute to their pensions tax free (up to various limits).

However, people have to pay tax out of pension over a quite small sum, so it's not all money lost to the exchequer.

Do you have a private/work pension ? If so, Do you avail of a tax break ?

So whats your point on tax breaks?

What are the generous tax breaks for old people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If boards still exists in 20 to 30 years I can see this thread being resurrected and some posters having a very different outlook!

Let the pensioners enjoy their money and free time. It's the only time in life anyone can have both at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I highly doubt pensions as we know them will exist in 20 to 30 years time.

Let the pensioners enjoy their money and free time

The problem is that they are enjoying this for far, far longer than the system was ever originally designed. I'm aware some will see it as begrudgery, but I don't really care. The system is going to collapse in on itself long before I ever draw down a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

exactly, then the very same people will be crying into their cornflakes demanding that the Government increase the pension rate and give everyone the fuel allowance!

Many of these pensioners worked in very different times, mortgage rates were 17/18%, there was no insulation in houses, ice and condensation on the inside of windows. There were NO treats!! Everyday now we "treat" ourselves because "we're worth it"!! Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime memberships, new phone every few years, at least one holiday a year, lots of weekend breaks, lavish weddings with 3 day hen parties…………NONE of that was part of life for these pensioners, they scrimped and saved and used every last bit of food in the fridge.

I know this because despite my father having a great business and a wife and 7 kids, my parents were frugal and always saved for the future (for us),grew all their fruit and vegetables, hens in the garden for eggs, a holiday once a year in Donegal. My father lost all his money which he had invested from his business in the Black Monday crash in 1987. We never had daily treats of chocolate or cakes. Life now is luxury beyond belief compared to then. But are we happier? The answer to that is obvious!

Let these people enjoy those few golden years before bad health takes over!

• Advertisement

They're not providing for themselves in retirement if they're drawing the OAP! They're providing a nice additional cushion for themselves on top and getting a very expensive to the exchequer tax break to assist them in doing so.

Advertisement