Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

And they should have been deported also… I'm pretty sure anyone here who's stance is tighter illegal immigration controls would have no problem with that, and I am almost certain our government would be taking back anyone deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

" ... Frankly, anyone trying to downplay the impact of those tweets is naive in the extreme. The tweets are not being talked about widely on the MSM for a reason. Three years later and the first I heard of them on RTE was recently when Michael Fitzmaurice and Brenda Power mentioned them on two seperate shows. When Brenda mentioned them Brendan O'Connor feigned surprise with 'When was that…'' Gen Zhukov

Absolute. O Connor is an embarrassment - courtesy of his employers, RTE.

Our "journalists" and National broadcaster all towing the party line. Total unbalanced presentation of the neither rhyme nor reason immigration blitz we are currently (and will indefinitely be) subjected to. Smug, self serving panels on the RTE Sunday morning newspaper panel show. Should just be called Sunday morning with Brendan. Its a cozy little affair. Not very taxing - you'll be told what / what not to say.

O Connor, to be fair, has good reason to keep his head down - (€)245.000 reasons to be precise.

Another thundering disgrace is our very own Joe-you can't say that - Duffy, the "champagne Irishman". All dyed in the wool lover of Irish history buff, never miss an opportunity to talk up his knowledge of the Ireland of yore.

Duffy is gifted a daily platform to interview Irishmen and women directly affected by the current disintegration of our little island. Not a whisper. eg. Tourism being totally decimated, not a hotel room to be had for potental tourists - not a word.

100's of (mostly) male "refugees" being snuk into small town Ireland in the dead of night, without any consultation with the local populace. No interviews on this, not a word.

Again, Joe has 245.000 pa reasons to keep sthumm.

Same applies to the other RTE news programnes. Claire Byrne, anchor for daily RTE current affairs programme, is more interested in chit chat about items lifted from the Cosmopolitan magazine than any meaningful engagement with THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.

She too will have her reasons, i guess. Thousands of them.

If fairness, one can't afford to get too upset and stroppy about this intolerable situation or Mrs Mac will set the new Hate Laws upon you.

Ssshhhh !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It really irritates me no end that there was no political will to provide modular homes for our own homeless people of which there are many stuck at home with mammy and daddy. It wasn't even proposed as a solution.

Yet the same people's taxes are being used to do the same for people who have arrived from outside the state.

There are many people that wouldn't turn their nose up at one as it would give them independence. It's absolutely shameful carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But were those tweets even highlighted at the time? From what I can see, anti-O'Gorman types first started raising this as an issue around April 2023 (Carol Nolan TD, Gript etc). To say that O'Gorman singlehandedly raised the rate of asylum claims through a single tweet in 8 languages in February 2021 would really be a stretch (asylum claims that year were not especially high compared to the past. They only began to accelerate from 2022 onward.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It's already been explained several times why a tweet from an Irish government official might have had a lot of reach. I don't think anyone said 'singlehandedly'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, even if we successfully deported every asylum seeker and refugee in the State tomorrow, we would still have a housing crisis and there would still be a need to build more houses. So that doesn't fall away.

As for housing refugees and asylum seekers, it is clear that simply putting them in ordinary residential property or places like hotels is problematic. If that's the case, then I don't see the issue with the conversion of disused buildings or the construction of centres dedicated to housing them if this eases the pressures on the property market and tourism. That's never going to be perfect though. Other countries have built centres like this and many of the people in them end up staying in them for ages until it simply becomes more practical to let them just re-join wider society. But people probably will need to realise sooner or later that no "solution" is going to be without downsides and inefficiencies.

The more important issue however is how we actually reduce the numbers full stop, and this is going to require co-operation across Europe if it's ever going to be done in a sustainable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Honestly, it's not surprising. There is quite a large % of lefties and woke far left that seems to have a real disdain for anything native Irish or native Irish people. They love to throw around derogatory statements about young Irish people, how most are "scrotes" and are the fault of everything, but the "foregnners" can do no wrong and are never at fault for anything. They chomp at the bit to promote news where native Irish are shown in a bad light.

There were literally people stating it was the fault of the state for not giving mental health services to the guy that stabbed that child and to leave him be the "poor man".

It's not exclusive to Ireland, this strange phenomenon is happening in most Western countries with those woke lefties.

But the cause of asylum seekers coming here three years and three months later? Gript are still banging on about it even now in spring / summer 2024.

Should be noted too that O'Gorman was an absolute hate figure for a certain "lobby" since he became minister in June 2020. He was already the subject of much disinformation and spurious claims even before those tweets were sent out.

Thats irrelevant to the argument about his tweets in multiple languages. As I said it has been explained several times about algorithms and how Twitter works. I'm sure you've also heard how the internet never forgets

One million asylum seekers entered the EU in 2023. Those numbers are by far the highest since the Syrian migrant crisis of 2015. People are fooling themselves if they think we would be fine in Ireland if only O'Gorman hadn't sent out those tweets three years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

You can't compare 'plenty of illegal Irish in the US as well' to the situation we have here. I knew plenty who stayed in the US illegally in the 80's and 90's. Yes, they were breaking the law, I dont deny that. But they stayed with aunty Mary or cousin Tom until they got set up, worked hard to pay their way, paid for their own housing, food, etc. Most I know eventually returned or gained legal status. Hardly anyone migrates illegally to the US anymore. Work in Ireland in a big factor, but its much harder now to life a comfortable life in the US as an illegal. After 9/11, rules around social security numbers, banking, driving licsence, work contracts, housing leases, healthcare, etc tightened up to make it very difficult to obtain the above with a greencard. Plus ICE deporations became the norm if you were stopped say for a minor traffic violation or a fight in a bar. Before then, cops tended to turn blind eye to illegal Irish.

No one said we would be fine if those tweets weren't sent. But you can't deny that those tweets would have been an extra enticement for some. There's literally facebook groups where this kind of info gets shared around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Apparently each modular home costs 400k, that will be some bill in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If we magically had zero immigration in the morning and could magically deport the immigrants already living here…

There would still be zero political will to provide modular homes for homeless people.

It would undermine house prices and the (can you believe this) right-wing would be up in arms about giving houses to 'welfare scroungers'.

You've just accepted that there will never be political will to help Irish people and I think that's the point. Why is there zero political to help Irish people but billions to spend on refugees? Can you not see how thats incredibly frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

my god - enough to build a state of the art house - this really boils my blood after struggling to finance my own home - I wish I had a total budget of 400k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

We are told our nurses and gards can’t afford rent in Dublin, with some emigrating cause of the cost.

Why wasn’t modular homes offered as a solution for these people?

What a kick in the teeth to the Irish working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It seems the Daily Mail UK is covering the tent clearing story like it was happening in Westminster. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Just another day in Treasure Ireland. We deserve everything we get. Irish Taxpayer - The Worlds Atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭combat14

when are we full, when we run out of tents ?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It feels like we are slowly moving back to the more realistic appraisal of the effect of these tweets. Appreciate a different poster said it but the original conversation here was partially an assertion that the tweets were a major factor in the spike and that the Ukraine War was actually a less relevant factor than the tweets.

If we are now saying that the tweets might have had the effect of appearing here and there and might have formed part of some people’s reasoning to venture to Ireland (even though I’d imagine it was in conjunction with other things), then I could take that as a reasonable argument. It’s another thing entirely to say that but for these tweets we would not have seen a spike.

That exactly the point. Where is the same drive to help our own people from the money we all contribute into the system?

And there is billions to spend as we have had successive budget surpluses.

The same drive is just not there and the reason for that is to keep property prices artificially inflated. It's that simple.

For a country of our means, we could make great inroads on the housing issue with the right people in charge. Fine Gael, Fianna Fail are not the right people.

In fact I don't think anyone in there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Repro212

It's the principle though Strazdas. Even if not a single soul had seen O'Gorman's tweets, the very fact that a government minister thought nothing of putting that kind of message out there shows the total lack of empathy that he (and whoever else signed it off) has for Irish families who have no home of their own. They have nothing but contempt for their own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Never ending flow, and it only took a few hours. Stop handing out f**king tents you morons!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's almost as if addressing pull factors that are within our control works but the poster you're replying to is insistent that we should ignore pull factors and concentrate on push factors that are outside of our control. You'd be forgiven for thinking that they'd prefer the influx continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

You would want to be fooling yourself to think that a minister of a country issues an open invite to applicants in numerous languages would not have an effect on the numbers coming here. Id say it was on every WhatsApp, telegram group going FFS get to Ireland free houses !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Bloody Harris has made some mess of this. Basically told them if you camp in groups in the city we will find you accomodation. **** idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see a lady who came here in 2022 from Botswana and the IPAC rejected her asylum claim. The woman claims her father wants to use her body parts as part of a ritual sacrifice.

She said she was too afraid to report him to local police back home as he was regarded highly.

So IPAC decided her claim wasn't valid. She then appealed to the high court where Ms Justice Mary Rose Gearty quashed IPAC’s decision on the basis that the grounds for rejecting her application had not been properly and fully explained to her.

This is so infuriating. Taxpayers loosing again.

And this is why people come to Ireland as they know they will get loads of opportunities to appeal and drag the process out & eventually get to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I wasn't going to bother replying as it looks like others covered it pretty well, but I can't resist

1. The tweets made by a relatively unknown Irish minister were more important factors in the increase of non-Ukrainian IPA applications than the outbreak of the Ukraine War;

As has been pointed out to you, O'Gorman not being Macron means nothing - It was an official Gov.ie document. Once the interest in Ireland by our AS friends was piqued, a bit of research would've shown that we have a weak government and a gobsh!te of a justice minister c/w an extremely low deportation rate.

2. It is not valid to point out that the pressures exerted on systems across Europe by the Ukraine War would reasonably have had an effect on the number of non-Ukrainian IPA applicants who may have hoped to capitalise from the relative disarray in order to get their foot in the door in places like Ireland. The tweets were a more important factor than this.

Yeah, there was no other reason to try to get to the little rock on the west of the continent (see comment above)

3. The fact that other countries also experienced elevated numbers of post-Covid non-Ukrainian IPA applications is less relevant to the point than these tweets and therefore more weight should be put on the tweets than any wider context as to the experience of similar nearby countries in Europe.

There was a demand to embark on their 'better life' journeys building up because of covid restrictions - when these restrictions ended, it exploded, coinciding (with the war in UA)

I reiterate - End of covid restrictions coincided with the outbreak of the war - you decide to blame the war, I and others blame the year (of no travel) that the AS's had to research and to prepare for their journeys and yes, those tweets would have had a influence on these preparations.

I'll end with this -

Your brilliant theory of the increase in asylum seekers in Ireland and Europe being down to the war sounds like a perfect excuse for our Govt to use as they flail about in a heap desperately trying to control the narrative/spin/PR, but they haven't used this excuse - Why is that? (rhetorical)

I'll be leaving it there as I'm not wasting anymore time talking to someone that I think is in the 'There are none so blind…' camp

• Advertisement

Tents are back.

Embarrassing. I predict they will dissappear overnight and we will have Guards present at the canal.

Can't have the international media seeing us for what we are can we. Which is all Fine Gael really care about. How they look.

Advertisement