Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Aha, wishful thinking. It's no coincidence mass immigration is happening in every developed country in the world right now. And not just the rich "white" ones either, it's happening in Japan and Russia too.

If Ireland was a sovereign state we would have had a say in it. Sadly we aren't. Policy is dictated to our "leaders" and they have to pretend like it isn't. Hence politicians stop doing interviews about the stuff they are singing off on. Not a good sign for a democracy

No they went to the UK to break the law.

That really wasn't the slam dunk you thought it was.

You on the other hand are trying to justify the govts massive welfare state that will ruin Irish peoples quality of life via more taxation and denying an entire generation the chance to get a house and have children of their own, while being forced to pay for other peoples.

In short, you are pro fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

Ironic then, that a good chunk of those wannabe nazis are all tax dodgers. If they paid their way there wouldn't be such a drain on the resources they claim are being stolen by de immigrinz.

Now, as for the rest of your spiel, you provide no evidence whatsoever for your theories of 'displacement'. You are literally being hysterical. And yes, if you define a group by negatively stereotyping them, that's racism.

"Nazis" and "tax dodgers" in the same sentence. Pfff I suppose when you can debate you can just ad hominem eh.

Youve lost all credibility, I'm out. But that's good for you, You can get back to your echo chamber

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Since 1992 it was legal for an Irish woman to travel for an abortion. Even if it wasn't, it isn't exactly comparable to arson attacks which absolutely has the potential to kill a random person. An abortion was a necessity for those women, burning down a building is wanton destruction by thugs. So the point stands, repeal was peaceful and met its goals because of public support. You seem to want to make decisions through intimidation. If they kill somebody, do you plan to justify that too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Peaceful protesting and threatening extreme violence if you don't get your way arent the same thing.

You are being lumped in with them for justifying arson and suggesting there might be extreme violence if you and they don't get your way during the upcoming elections.

Ill ask again though how you suggest the government consult the people on every single issue? Or should it only be on issues you personally care about?

We don't have referenda on silly things, we have them when there's a proposed change to the constitution, this was not required by the migration pact therefore there was no referendum, its quite a simple concept to grasp for those who were paying attention in CSPE.

Should the government consult the people on every single issue of the day that comes up? If not then where is the bar exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

For very major issues, yes.

The government can hold non-legally binding referenda if they so chose. It doesn't necessarily have to be a legally binding change to the constitution.

I think people understand that if a referendum were held today on the matter, people would reject mass migration as a policy.

As I said before, European politicians brought this on themselves. Had they not embarked on this insane policy, far-right parties and populism would never have reared its head. They would have remained fringe invisible.

Alright off you go and get 100 people to agree on what a major issue is and how to consistently define with absolute certainty what does and doesn't qualify as a major issue and would require a non binding referendum be held.

Then do it for 1000, then do it for 100,000…. do you see where im going with this? I will grant immigration is important but so is health, housing, crime, taxes, climate change, education, financial regulation, state pensions, childcare etc etc. There will always be someone or a group of someones who thinks their issue is the most major and should be given priority which is why General Elections are how we vote on major issues.

The reason I'm focussing on that issue is precisely because it impacts almost all the other topics you yourself have raised:

health, housing, crime, taxes, education, financial regulation, state pensions, childcare

And that's not even the full extent of it, either.

More people = more problems with all of the above, especially when unplanned and uncontrolled. Suffice to say that this is obvious.

It could not be more major a topic.

• Advertisement

The problem with that argument is immigration is not the main cause of the problems we face in those areas, its simply another stressor on top of what was already there and stopping all immigration tomorrow wont make the issues for those areas go away overnight. Housing, health, crime and all the others have been issues for a good while prior to 2022 which is when immigration policy and concerns moved properly into the forefront of peoples minds mainly due to Ukraine overwhelming our immigration systems even more than they already were. In fact if we solved one or more of the problems in those sectors,housing specifically, I would bet good money the current anger levels over immigration wouldn't be anywhere near as tense.

Immigration is the most important issue to YOU but arguing it is THE most important issue is pretty naive and slightly narcissistic.

Personally i think housing, healthcare and crime are at the very least 3 issues that are more important than immigration currently.

The problem is that it adds to a pre-existing problem; it makes problems that already exist worse.

The government could handle the situation better if fewer people were arriving each year. That's simply a matter of fact. You require fewer GPs, fewer stresses on health services; fewer teachers, fewer houses etc. — and all the rest.

The far-right will continue to rise the longer this issue is ignored. It's absolute madness to continue doing the same thing over and over again to then expect a different result.

I suggest suppressing the far-right by maturing handling this issue in the way that it should be — not by appealing to extremists or to people who want even more migration; but a sensible balance that accommodates all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Repeal campaigners broke no law, and women travelling to the UK for abortions were not breaking any law - we had a referendum in 1992 to give women a constitutional right to travel for an abortion - but even before that referendum there was no law against it, as the Supreme Court ruled in the X case.

These posts (even the ones not condoning arson) are very very silly indeed.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

No, what you want is a Farage style campaign against refugees. If anything, it will egg on the far right cause, you'll have campaigners pushing conspiracy theories about the evils of migrants. It's not even clear how you would word such a referendum. We have elections, we elect politicians to represent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The faux concern for the health service is one of the right's most dishonest moves (along with the faux concern for women)

Huge numbers of healthcare workers are immigrants.

My GP is an immigrant.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

It's wrong to associate abortion as a far-right belief. That's too simplistic.

I think among Democrat voters in the US, up to a quarter of voters oppose abortion. That's not an insignificant percentage.

It's a complex issue, and whilst I believe that women should have the choice, I can perfectly understand why some people hold the opposing view; I get their arguments and reasoning.

Again, it's not a "far-right" issue. It's an issue that some on the religious far-right take seriously. Across the political spectrum, it remains an open debate.

This is irrelevant, the campaign to repeal was used as some kind of stupid justification for engaging in arson by a previous poster and that was what was being responded to. You're oddly enough not calling out the poster who is justifying arson and violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This same tired old argument.

Nobody has an issue with people who come legally through the visa programme to work in health, hospitality etc, we do have a problem with people showing up with no documents or making their way down here from the North because they think the Brits might send them on a plane to Rwanda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember people here cheering for the pointless bit of performative racism and cruelty that is the Rwanda scheme. What did they think was going to happen?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The scheme itself is a good idea but unfortunately the Tories made a balls of the whole thing so it is probably doomed to failure at this stage.

And of course our own useless Government didn't send one migrant back when the agreeement with the Brits was still up and running even though they had agreed to take over 200 of them back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How is it a good idea? The UK has an asylum processing backlog of nearly 150,000, Rwanda will take a few hundred (0.25% or so) and I don't think anyone has been sent yet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

So…. moving swiftly on from Immigration then!!!!

Have we a GenZ agent of Project 2025 on our hands ….. or has his mind been infected with Andrew Tate brain worms?

https://news.sky.com/story/harrison-butker-nfl-distances-itself-from-chiefs-kickers-speech-on-women-as-homemakers-13137582

The above posters are more than happy to conflate skilled visa migration and mass immigration of welfare dependents.

And the faux concern for the health system is laughable - we are paying for it, you're damn right we are concerned about it, we depend on it too.

Like I said the idea itself was a good one to serve as a deterrent but its implementation was a complete mess from the start.

Loos like Lab are going to scrap it when they get in so lets see what they come up with to stop the boats.

It wasn't, that's my point. They've taken an amount of cash equal to half of England's school budget and spent it on performative racism that benefits nobody who doesn't own a flight-chartering company.

It just proves that rightists only care about racism and greed IMO. That money could have really benefitted some poorer parts of the country.

Whats racist about deporting illegal migrants?

You sound like Murphy, Barry and Boyd Barrett, thats the sort of guff they come out with

If you have to resort to lies like this, let's just leave it.

There is no lie, the ones coming on the boats to the UK and arriving here having destroyed their passports are illegal.

Just because you and other left leaning people don't want to accept this doesn't make it any less true.

There is. I even pointed it out. Adding more nonsense doesn't make it true.

We're done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

No matter what you believe, there's no need for "quotation marks" around asylum in the way you used it.

Advertisement