Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It seems the Daily Mail UK is covering the tent clearing story like it was happening in Westminster. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Just another day in Treasure Ireland. We deserve everything we get. Irish Taxpayer - The Worlds Atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

when are we full, when we run out of tents ?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It feels like we are slowly moving back to the more realistic appraisal of the effect of these tweets. Appreciate a different poster said it but the original conversation here was partially an assertion that the tweets were a major factor in the spike and that the Ukraine War was actually a less relevant factor than the tweets.

If we are now saying that the tweets might have had the effect of appearing here and there and might have formed part of some people’s reasoning to venture to Ireland (even though I’d imagine it was in conjunction with other things), then I could take that as a reasonable argument. It’s another thing entirely to say that but for these tweets we would not have seen a spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That exactly the point. Where is the same drive to help our own people from the money we all contribute into the system?

And there is billions to spend as we have had successive budget surpluses.

The same drive is just not there and the reason for that is to keep property prices artificially inflated. It's that simple.

For a country of our means, we could make great inroads on the housing issue with the right people in charge. Fine Gael, Fianna Fail are not the right people.

In fact I don't think anyone in there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Repro212

It's the principle though Strazdas. Even if not a single soul had seen O'Gorman's tweets, the very fact that a government minister thought nothing of putting that kind of message out there shows the total lack of empathy that he (and whoever else signed it off) has for Irish families who have no home of their own. They have nothing but contempt for their own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Never ending flow, and it only took a few hours. Stop handing out f**king tents you morons!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's almost as if addressing pull factors that are within our control works but the poster you're replying to is insistent that we should ignore pull factors and concentrate on push factors that are outside of our control. You'd be forgiven for thinking that they'd prefer the influx continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

You would want to be fooling yourself to think that a minister of a country issues an open invite to applicants in numerous languages would not have an effect on the numbers coming here. Id say it was on every WhatsApp, telegram group going FFS get to Ireland free houses !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Bloody Harris has made some mess of this. Basically told them if you camp in groups in the city we will find you accomodation. **** idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see a lady who came here in 2022 from Botswana and the IPAC rejected her asylum claim. The woman claims her father wants to use her body parts as part of a ritual sacrifice.

She said she was too afraid to report him to local police back home as he was regarded highly.

So IPAC decided her claim wasn't valid. She then appealed to the high court where Ms Justice Mary Rose Gearty quashed IPAC’s decision on the basis that the grounds for rejecting her application had not been properly and fully explained to her.

This is so infuriating. Taxpayers loosing again.

And this is why people come to Ireland as they know they will get loads of opportunities to appeal and drag the process out & eventually get to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I wasn't going to bother replying as it looks like others covered it pretty well, but I can't resist

1. The tweets made by a relatively unknown Irish minister were more important factors in the increase of non-Ukrainian IPA applications than the outbreak of the Ukraine War;

As has been pointed out to you, O'Gorman not being Macron means nothing - It was an official Gov.ie document. Once the interest in Ireland by our AS friends was piqued, a bit of research would've shown that we have a weak government and a gobsh!te of a justice minister c/w an extremely low deportation rate.

2. It is not valid to point out that the pressures exerted on systems across Europe by the Ukraine War would reasonably have had an effect on the number of non-Ukrainian IPA applicants who may have hoped to capitalise from the relative disarray in order to get their foot in the door in places like Ireland. The tweets were a more important factor than this.

Yeah, there was no other reason to try to get to the little rock on the west of the continent (see comment above)

3. The fact that other countries also experienced elevated numbers of post-Covid non-Ukrainian IPA applications is less relevant to the point than these tweets and therefore more weight should be put on the tweets than any wider context as to the experience of similar nearby countries in Europe.

There was a demand to embark on their 'better life' journeys building up because of covid restrictions - when these restrictions ended, it exploded, coinciding (with the war in UA)

I reiterate - End of covid restrictions coincided with the outbreak of the war - you decide to blame the war, I and others blame the year (of no travel) that the AS's had to research and to prepare for their journeys and yes, those tweets would have had a influence on these preparations.

I'll end with this -

Your brilliant theory of the increase in asylum seekers in Ireland and Europe being down to the war sounds like a perfect excuse for our Govt to use as they flail about in a heap desperately trying to control the narrative/spin/PR, but they haven't used this excuse - Why is that? (rhetorical)

I'll be leaving it there as I'm not wasting anymore time talking to someone that I think is in the 'There are none so blind…' camp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Tents are back.

Embarrassing. I predict they will dissappear overnight and we will have Guards present at the canal.

Can't have the international media seeing us for what we are can we. Which is all Fine Gael really care about. How they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

When I said Thursday for the tents I meant Tuesday afternoon 😂

You ever get the feeling that the government will recycle this plan until people are broken and just accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

If Irish people living at home really want a modular home, why don't they just buy one? For example, this two bed modular home is only €19,000. Surely that isn't out the financial reach of Irish people living at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

You need planning permission for anything over 25 sq m so good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

That’s one out of touch comment.

but I’ll humor you, a site for planning generally had to be 0.5 acres, sewerage will cost at least 5000, electric 4000, water 2000. That’s assuming you get planning permission(which you won’t). So your empty(and likely not wired, plumbed, insulated or finished) shed becomes 30k+ without a site fairly fast.

Why didn’t the government opt for these, if they are good enough, in your opinion?

Perhaps read the web page - the shed doesn’t even come with gutters…

• Advertisement

assuming they live 7km as the crow flies(or whatever arbitrary distance the county council has set) from their family home and all the other things that they need to qualify for “local needs” yeah?

Also as pointed out to you they won’t get planning permission for a log cabin.

I don't see how my comment is out of touch. There's plenty of people is this thread wondering why modular homes were not offered as a solution to Garda or nurses. What I'm wondering is why cant garda or nurses afford €100,000 for a modular home in Clonmel? Personally, there's no way in a million years I'd leave renting in Dublin for a modular home in Clonmel but if the posters are this thread think garda and nurses who work in Dublin would jump at the chance then they are entitled to that position.

For example, here's a post in this thread on tje subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/05/21/tents-on-dublin-canal-are-cleared-again-as-almost-100-refugees-are-offered-accommodation/

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Tents back on the canal already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

The residents of Ballyogan are protesting. People from the canal area were sent there, but residents blocked the entrance. The coaches have since moved on, don't know where to.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

why shouldn’t they keep banging on about it ? nobody should forget what an idiot that man is.

nothing should be noted that comes from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

So this is what ye've been reduced to.

Petty little trolling comments because reality is coming up against ideology.

Snide little asides so you can continue in the belief of moral superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

45 tents back on the canal.

• Advertisement

you won’t get planning permission, so you won’t get a mortgage. A bank also won’t give a mortgage on something that will rot into the ground in 10 years.

I’ll be frank - assuming your not intentionally being obtuse your suggestion is stupid.

The government units are steel framed modular homes by the way - not Garden sheds without guttering or flooring.

Advertisement