Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

"Connacht have made enquiries about signing Sam Prendergast on loan for next season but with Leinster reluctant to acquiesce a decision now rests with the IRFU and the player."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/05/21/connacht-look-to-sign-sam-prendergast-on-loan-from-leinster/

Thornley reporting it means this could be real.

Normally, i'd say a loan deal at this stage of his career is simply a bad deal for connacht as its more of a dev stage than a production stage. However, with his family connection, maybe a year to convince him could work.

Especially, if next year is the last year of his current deal. No one outside leinster, the player, his agent and the irfu would know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭kita99

If it is relized, I think that it's not so bad thing because Connacht despalately needs a good kicker. 9 Devine10 Prendergast 11 Hansen 12 Aki or Forde 13 Gavin or O'Connor 14 Jennings, Bolton, Smith or Porch 15 Mullins or Cordero. This back-line may become No.1 in URC.The problem is how Hunphreys will think this. Connacht don't need another FH of Leinster.

I think that FW of Connacht is stronger than the reputation of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I'm very much for this. As they say in the movies: let's see what the kid has

Yea, its interesting.

ROC is reporting it now as well. Prendegast is probably not going to be actually that good next year but the opportunity to recruit him for year would be pretty huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I think the move would suit everyone, most of all him, but will believe it when I see it. He'll certainly learn how tough pro rugby can be playing with us!

One thing I noted from the weekend; Stormers can be very pleased with how they conducted themselves both on and off the pitch. Loads of them stayed around to clap off the leaving players and Manie Libbock, in particular, was happy to have pictures and chats with anyone who wanted it and I've seen plenty of lesser players being too big time to act the same way, plenty of them irish too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I would love to sign Prendergast, i don't believe that a season long loan would be in either his or our interest.

It basically depends on his contract status. If next year is his last year, you get an entire year to pitch him on in staying at comnacht. If its not, yea i'd pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't think there's a scenario where he stays if it goes well for him, Leinster will want him back without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

It's very obvious we need an out half and even for a year Prendergast would obviously improve us but if I was Leinster I wouldn't be placing the development of a future Irish 10 in the hands of Pete Wilkins. Prendergast really should be backing himself for a proper breakthrough at Leinster next year.

The statement released last week seemed to indicate the 43 man squad was the finalised squad for 24/25.

Maybe they're hoping the young lads in the academy will step up at 10 which would be incredibly risky given their lack of senior experience and lack of experience of those around them. Throwing them into a struggling side short of leadership and ideas is a surefire way to stymie their growth.

It could be all paper talk on Prendergast but either way the recruitment process looks more and more haphazard as it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Sam is young… At his age it is about minutes and the quality of those minutes… Connacht offer very high quality fly half minutes, our pack isn't always wining but your backline is great support. So Sam can't do a Ross on it and sit in the pocket and watch the Forwards win the game. He would have to play rugby, which I think he would relish.

Coaching at the moment is an issue… Well I said this about Sam 10 days ago earlier in the thread… I said just later that we need a director of Rugby to give Pete Wilkins support… This is an IRFU (picked) coaching ticket that is not firing, Connacht knew it was fully cooked but we ate it anyway this year. I think if we got a fresh face on old shoulders to oversee things it could work out better for everyone. Wilkins doesn't do the media or Community that well anyway, he is a good coach so why have him doing stuff he doesn't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I can assure you, as a Leinster fan with Ross Byrne at 10 the week of a champions cup final, nobody at leinster wants Sam Prendergast to learn to sit in the pocket and play like Ross. That's a major part of what limits Ross.

I'm ambivalent about Prendergast going to Connacht for a year. Generally I'd be fine with it. He'd get more minutes and far more responsibility at Connacht next season than leinster. And Connacht needs cover since JJ's knee injury. So it could make a lot of sense for both teams.

I'd be concerned that the coaching wouldn't be as good (not bad, just not as good).

We'd want him back at the end of the tear so don't get any ideas about waving contracts at him…

If it worked out it could set a good precedent of short term loaning players between provinces in times of need, to strengthen the provinces and Ireland. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,482 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im seeing on another source (close to connacht) that the Prendergast deal is done

one year loan contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I think we agree the way Ross came through he was going to be limited in the way he plays… He was mainly used for the URC fodder teams, Leinster 2nd string need not get out of 3rd gear…

Sam at Connacht would get a full blooded introduction to professional rugby… He would have to grasp the first string jersey (which he good enough to do) lead a team… Something I think Frawley should been sent to do on maybe a two year loan previously.

As for coaching, generally (i.e. before this season) I would say the care and attention Connacht makes with players is actually higher than in Leinster. They have to get you performing because there might be no one else. More weeks as being the starting position gives you more time invested in you… You are constantly learning how to be a starter (big for 10s)..

This season's coaching ticket seemed to struggle a bit, inconsistent selection, player's seemed to struggle to know what each are doing, attack which lacked direction, lost 3-4 games in the last play of the game, forwards are not at the same standard as last year… Defence has been good for long periods and then just falls apart at times (collective lack knowing what to do). Discipline is the best in the league.

Team has seemed to lost a step in the last year, we expect better.

One thing Sam will be coming into, is a young side… Connacht have a number of young players coming into their backline..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This loan move is a bad result for Leinster. Just weakens Leinster to prop up a poor team. Hawkshaw wasn't enough? Now Leinster lose a bona fide quality outhalf for at least a year because Connacht are shyte? I hope Sam doesn't go. Selfish? Could care less. It's just more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

IIt's Not when the loan gets prendetgqst more game time. Hawkshead is irrelevant to this discussion. They would not be losing him because Connacht are anything dudinusa. Connacht need someone because of long term injury to a senior 10 and prendergast needs lot of game time and a move would help that

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

? Eric for DOR

Any IRFU appointed DOR would have to report to IRFU, not the Connacht Branch. Could Eric cover the duties the present coaching staff have not engaged with ?. Yes, I think he could. Would he be willing to take on the Branch on behalf of the Union ?. Unsure.

Are there any rumours out there about how long his leinster contract is?

If both expire at same time it gets very interesting.

No. This is a one year loan deal though. It would be interesting to see if his Leinster contract extends by a year by virtue of this deal.

Yea, if it doesn't, leinster should offer him an extension now anyway.

Is he a quality out half right now? I dunno. He could be next year maybe or in two years.

Presumably its his choice though. If leinster offered him the back up role for example, maybe he'd stay.

• Advertisement

I'd be highly surprised if leinster haven't his "re-signing" absolutely tied down in stone.

If they do, this is a bad deal for connacht. All the upside is in possibly making it permanent. I don't see him necessarily being better than carty next year.

I guess maybe they can't afford to bring in experienced depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes the biggest advantage of the move would be the full blooded game experience.

And I'm excited about that you have exciting young lads coming through O' Reily, Forde, Jennings and Gavin. I love that for Connacht. I'd probably like Prendergast to play with some experienced tacticians too though.

I can tell by the cut of you you're thinking you can entice him to stay beyond a year. Be honest

He's got all the qualities needed. My guess is Carty gets lessions on his arse from riding the bench.

What's Prendergast going to learn from the Connacht coaching set up? They're clueless. What was Hawkshaw signed for? Is Naughton invisible?

Its more harry west i'm wondering about but they may be out on him. I think at this point hawkshaw is a centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Carty will be out of contract in 2025 and you have to imagine if he wasn't renewed that you'd be saving serious wages from there immediately. The urgency to even bring in Prendergast is because of how badly he's been playing for 2 seasons (being generous to him).

I'd see Prendergast only leaving Leinster temporarily and they'd surely roll out all the stops to make sure he was offered an extension before any loan. But that's not to say Connacht couldn't put potential Carty wages into signing a first choice outhalf. Carty getting a 3 year deal a couple of years back was insanity from Ruane and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lavrenti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I noticed that also. They came around to all the traveling fans and took pictures with them. Nice touch. We went in for dinner in the Huntsman before the game and I was really surprised to see how many SA folks were there. Good for them. I liked that

• Advertisement

Advertisement