Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Well I hope we don't see another spell like this until September because I am seeing rain/showers most days in my area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

My post was tongue in cheek, Irish summers are generally ok, with the exception of the odd crap summer. We generally always have a spell of settled weather that last at least 2/3/4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not a cloud visible in Galway, beautiful morning

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Needmoretea

The cloud has rolled away, now we have our blue skies again. Dublin 9

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A cloudy morning here in Meath, hopefully it will burn off soon. Today is the final day of the nice warm and sunny weather so going to make the most of it. Unfortunately it looks like the weather will be taking a relatively cooler and unsettled turn this week, particularly from Thursday/Friday onwards. Fingers crossed the next spell of warm and sunny weather isn't far away.

I will post the summer threads in about a weeks time hopefully by then the trend will be looking good for early to mid June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Two very different forecasts this morning from met eireann and Mt cranium for the coming weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Definitely uncertainty in the models from Thursday onwards but most outcomes favour things turning close to average and on the unsettled side with the Atlantic possibly striking back around the beginning to June. We shall see. We've done very well up to this point in May with a very much warmer than average first half to the month. Unlikely this trend will continue for the second half of the month with temperatures trending more close to average.

Whatever way June pans out this year, I'm more interested in having a very warm and decent July and August with absolutely no repeat of last summers trainwreck.

Very warm in direct Sun out my back Garden while having a bit of lunch. Currently 22c N.Kildare , i do notice a huge bank of cloud to my south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Another stunning day in South Wicklow but the last for a while it seems. Tomorrow looking showery and potentially thundery for a few hours up to lunch time and changeable for the days ahead. It's been a super month though really can't complain overall

• Advertisement

Yeah today was last warm and sunny day of this current spell. Much more in the way of cloud from tomorrow and temperatures sliding away rest of this week to more average values. Models are showing signs of wobbling on the unsettled outlook into June with potential for more warm or very warm weather but possibly quite volatile, still a long way to go with this tho.

The past 2 to 3 weeks have been well needed after such a prolonged spell of deluges persisting through several seasons. It's great knowing that after all the nice weather of recent weeks, we are still In Spring and 10 days away from the start of summer with potential for some warm weather over the next 3 to 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Definitely cooling down a lot this evening in Galway City. Was roasting this time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

2 right good days for most when all is said and done. And a good weekend before that.This month has been mostly dry in Mid Tipp, no complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

Still lovely here in NCD, but I see the rain is hammering down in some parts of the country.

The weather has been absolutely superb in May and it's great that so many nice days were on the weekends for us all to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful evening Meath after a dull start in the morning hours. Light breeze this pm so not as warm as yesterday evening.

What's in store tomorrow? Bubbling up showers? Under 15 GAA match. Hope no down pours or thunder.

13⁰ Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Been a fantastic few days in Cork, still very pleasant outside, birds singing away. Very summerlike feel to this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭acequion

"Irish" summers? Maybe ye get them ok in the east and south east, but summers in the west and south west are generally poor, with August [apart from 2003 and 2022] being very disappointing. Yes you get bits here and there, but decent settled spells of 2/3/4 weeks in summer are the exception rather than the rule, unfortunately. And with climate change Irish summers overall seem to be getting wetter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Started fine early morning but the sea fog drifted ashore about 07.00 and left a covering of low cloud over coastal areas for the day and more foggy towards the sea, felt a bit cool near the coast and cooled down somewhat this evening to 12.7C from a high of 15.3C.

Early Satellite pic form NASSA showing the fog hugging the coast here in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lovely morning in Dublin...bit of heat in the sun as well.

• Advertisement

Distinct "Chill" in comparison with the last few days although still t-shirt weather for walk up to town for Coffee. Bit of luck, could ave some sparks here after lunch, currently 14c and heavy feel in the air. N. Kildare

I was debating whether i prefferred yesterday mornings beautiful pleasent sun to wake up to or the "reel feel" temp of 35c to wake up to on holidays not so long ago.

First world problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

A mixture of cloud and sunny spells in N Kildare 13c

Normal service has resumed,overcast and cloudy this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Nice walk to school in shorts and t-shirt this morning in NCD. Sun still warm.

Moderate Rain, very muggy now, 16c, little to no wind. N Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Warm and dry in Galway. I feel that if we get some rain soon, there will be an explosion in growth. My newly planted trees and shrubs could do with rain.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Lovely morning Meath. Sunny.

For how long I wonder.

14° Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

24 mm of rain since 10:30 N Tipp

Seven Worlds will Collide

Another lovely day here in Meath wasn't expecting this, 18C and mostly sunny.

We seem to avoided the biggest of the rain so far here in south tipp thank god. Only spitting rain all mornimg

Heavens have opened in Kildare and seems to be very stationary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Yes, radar has it floating above us, hope some thunder and flashes develop in it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Another beautiful day here with a slightly cooling breeze, still its 18.7C here now and mostly sunny, feels like summer has started properly. Great to see so many people decked out in shorts the last week or so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭adocholiday

We dodged a massive bullet today (so far) in South Wicklow. At one point there was torrential rain to the North, West and South of me but it's been lovely and sunny here all day aside from a few distant rumbles. Hopefully doesn't shift our direction at some stage!

Driving around north Galway this afternoon. Very heavy thunderstorms. Dangerous driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

Another dry day here in Mid Tipp, a cloudy day has given way to pleasant sunny evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

North east, thought we’d have rain by now. It’s been a beautiful day.. delighted as we got all the grass cut in the last hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was in West Wicklow today for the mother of all thunder and lighting storms.

It was absolutely unbelievable, haven't seen the likes of it in years. Lasted about an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

Another dry day in south county Dublin at least.

It never even really looked like it was going to rain. The temperature got up to 18º and it felt a bit warmer in the sun. A perfect late spring day for Ireland really.

There hasn't been much appreciable rainfall in Dublin in about a week. I think some places in north county Dublin got a few thunderstorms a few days ago. But they didn't hit the south of the county.

Obviously places further West haven't been as lucky as the capital over the past few days. But days like these really underline why there's often so much disagreement on the forum about whether a summer was 'good' or 'bad' etc. As there really can be a very big difference between East and West at times.

The weather for the capital during these 'sneaky' good days that we manage to cling onto is often better than what we get when the 'good weather' actually arrives as we can often be plagued by a cool sea breeze or sea mist and low cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Baseball72

I was up in Cabinteely village this morning, it was like being in a Mediterranean country, sunny, and warm, with people sitting on benches relaxing and having coffee/tea. Truly blessed to have a day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah Dublin was never really in the firing line for thunderstorms today. The past few days have been really really good here. Definitely summer like weather. Hopefully a good summer to come for all of the country after that shambolic one last year.

Thunderstorms seem to be more prevalent these last couple of years. I wonder will we get a repeat of June 2023. Might be better if they’re spread out over the summer this year as a result of persistent high temperatures 🤞

• Advertisement

To be fair, apart from today and last Monday it has been very nice weather in Galway since May 1st. Very little rainfall apart from those 2 days. I think May 2024 could break heat records just like June 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It turned a very different day than forecast here on Dublin/Kildare border. Supposed to have showers since morning, but nothing at all until just a light shower around 9.30pm. A lovely day overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

That's good to hear. Galway can really bear the brunt of the cloudy and rainy weather in Ireland at times. Delighted it's been a nice month for you.

Yes - temps are currently around 3º above the LTA in some places. It'll dip over the coming week but everywhere will end up with temps way above average for the month.

No rain Meath. Beautiful day. Evening very threatening. Plenty back clouds went sailing by.

14⁰ Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Watching the deep dive on YouTube very interesting and alot of rain heading to mainland UK possibly 150mm of rainfall over higher ground during Wednesday and Thursday, they also mentioned a funnel in Derry or could have been donegal and another one in southwest England, if I'm not mistaken Ireland in the past 2 days have had 5 funnels and a waterspout in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Can anyone tell me what the weather will be for Saturday? Weather apps and forecasts are all different at the moment. Some more or less wet day, others small showers in the afternoon. We have communion so I'm trying to plan food and seating etc. Raging as the last 2 weekends were so nice.

Sorry should have said we live outside Gorey close to the wicklow border. I know its so hard to tell as it rained at our house yesterday afternoon and literally 500metres up the road it was a totally dry day.

Lovely autumnal morning out there. Grey as a pit. 10c N Kildare

Cloudy Morning in N Kildare 14c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭pauldry

Saturday is promised wet currently. In fact latest runs are terrible for rest of May after being good only a week ago. Cool and Unsettled on last few after it showing dry and settled before. However not set in stone yet. Depends on what happens with the UK deluge in the next couple of days. I'd expect a cooler spell after that dry or wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Advertisement