Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Nope I said "Prices went up and small time landlords increased in number because the
    govt have decided to (obediently) open the borders"

So increased demand was met with an increase in landlords, both small and large, hence the next part of my sentence

"and also allow the building of build-to-rent properties by foreign investment companies."

If those brand spanking new buildings were apartments for sale rent wouldnt be going up, but they're not are they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I'm not sure how you getting the last part. If properties are being built and put on the rental market, how is this forcing up rents? You said earlier, that this might be because of monopolies or cartels, but where is the evidence of this?

Simply because even though we are at capacity immigration has been allowed to continue, and the new buildings for rent aren't necessarily on the open market, they are rented out to local councils who guarantee their income for the next 25 years. Even HAP itself pushes up rents, as well as special payments to Ukranains (800euro per month towards accomodation)

As for Cartels/monolpolies well about ten years ago ver large financial investment companies used ICAV used to legally money launder properties purchase profits made in the US to here! Thing is, it also applied to Irish Property, so they bought the place up at recession prices!!!

You say there is no evidence of this: google Irish Collective Asset-management Vehicle.

I'm not sure you are understanding the question. Nobody is disputing that increased demand due to immigration is driving prices up or that HAP pushes up rents in certain cases.

The question is why you think increasing supply is pushing up rents. You would agree, no doubt, that the increasing supply of something generally has a downward effect on prices. Maybe not enough to counter other forces, but the general effect is downward.

I have googled ICAVs. Do you think they hold a monopoly on rented property in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The increased prices is pretty simple to answer.

Institutional investors tend to buy new developments which are not subject to RPZ rent caps as they are first time rentals. Therefore they can set high rental prices, and still get people to rent them. There are enough news articles to support the fact that in a lot of cases LLs are ignoring RPZ caps on legal rent increases and increasing rents to what they see the funds are charging, and hard pressed tenants are paying it.

• Advertisement

But if supply were not created in the non-RPZ areas, rents among the existing units also in the non-RPZ would be pushed even higher as the same number of people seeking to rent would be competing for a smaller number of properties. Therefor, sadly, I don't accept your reasoning.

The fact is, all new supply will tend to reduce prices or rents in the areas where that new supply is created. In non-RPZ areas, new units built to rent, whether by institutional or amateur landords will have tend to reduce rents or have a moderating effect on rent increases in those areas where they build.

I just think that institutional investors are likely to provide a better service from the tenant's perspective and should therefore be encouraged.

because this

Rent can be increased indefinitely in certain areas, hence why RPZ's exist. Demand can be increased indefinitely due to our welfare state policies, even if immigration was halted with immediate effect.

Adding more supply to a captive market just means more profit.

I can’t copy and paste for some reason but if your google “rent increases Dublin” you will see that new rentals rent rates are rising and due to non compliance in existing rentals, they are also rising above RPZ limits, Demand is still ahead of supply so institutional investors are pushing up rental costs.

They can only be increased by the amount people are prepared to pay.

Secondly, no one is disputing that rents can be increased due to money being pumped in via social welfare.

What is being disputed is that increasing supply specifically is a cause of rent increases. I suspect what has happened is that you have heard this repeated and believe it to be the case but now can't back up your belief.

Oh I will end with quite a quirk that is depressingly true. So I have friends in tech and in finance and they all got their orders to go back in to the office despite it absolutely not being necessary. So online you read about middle managers demanding this because they cannot see them working or similar…

Nope

Turns out in both cases it was because the company's investors/parent company also own the office, and need it to be rented out. 🤣

• Advertisement

If supply is not being sufficiently met by institutional investors i.e. they should building more, then are you not contradicting yourself if you are also saying that investors building build-to-rent units are driving up rents?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A) This just means not enough are being built

B) It does not mean that it is causing rents to increase. Those who will pay more for the new developments also would have been outbidding people for less valuable rental accommodation as they had no choice. The demand in that sector will thus decrease.

It really depends on whether funds are continuing to invest at levels they have in the past. In the final 3 months of 2023 there was a sharp drop in foreign investment in the Irish rental market. As prior investments come to the market, rents are rising due to the fact they are first time rentals, but lack of investment in 2023 won’t be felt until sometime in the future when those properties would have been finished and ready to rent. So funds pushed up rent, then turned off the tap, so fewer properties in future, which keeps rents at the levels they set, plus the clockwork-like rent reviews/increases which shareholders demand.

Edit: it’s so frustrating I can’t link to articles, but if you google “fund investment drop property Ireland” you will find numerous articles which confirm the sharp drop in residential property in Ireland by funds last year. Maybe they think that more investment will actually cause rents to drop on existing investments so are holding firm.

No one disputes that not enough properties are being built, so that statement isn’t quite as intuitive as you thought it was when you typed it.

Given that central bank data shows there are low levels of BTL mortgages being drawn down, the only group capable of moving the market to the extent reported in Dublin in new lets are fund investors. When the ceiling is raised, those LLs who are non compliant, of which reported data indicate there are a lot, look at what is being charged in the market.

If a new rental appears in a RPZ at a relatively high price and a tenant is found, then that tenant is no longer competing elsewhere with others for the limited supply available, so overall the average rent will not rise generally.

You also say somewhere in your post that the fact that developers have stopped building at the rate they used to will keep rents high, which contradicts your other assertion that funds building build-to-rent properties pushes up prices. Which is true?

There is no competition amongst tenants, LL set rents knowing that there will be many applicants.

. Rising rents in first time lets set the bar for other landlords when they rent/rent review. Given the lack of compliance, a LL can look at a 2.5k apartment and think, that is what I should be charging. It’s not legal, but the data reported indicates rents are rising in existing rentals higher than RPZ legislation should allow.

There is no contradiction, if fewer properties are built, then funds can set prices higher know there will be fewer properties, and rents can be raised for those available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That is not the way markets work.

Yes it is.

Rent prices are ultimately set at the level that people are able and willing to pay. If those willing and able to pay higher rents are moving into new properties, even if those rents are higher, it alleviates pressure in the existing stock and reduces the rent level (or at least reduces the upwards pressure). This is why arguments against new developments only being for rich people are nonsensical, literally every single bit of housing that is built, from social housing to magnificent penthouse villas reduces rental pressure and lowers rents. You seem to be presuming that people will raise rents cause they see other people charging more, but while the market is not this efficient in reality, they are essentially already charging the most they can get away with.

Ultimately, whether it is institutional landlords or individuals makes diddly squat difference on rent prices but one offers a far more professional service (on average at least)

Is there a surplus of available unoccupied rentals? It would appear there is still room for further increases.

If funds stop investing, as data from the third quarter of 2023 show they have, then rents will continue to rise, and new rentals set the bar because they are not restricted by RPZ legislation. Remember, developments which funds provided forward funding for in 2022 may not come to the market until late this year or next year, and those rents will be higher if there is still high demand, which shows no signs of abating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Is daft.ie still showing you properties from 10 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

For anyone on this thread that is trying and struggling to get on the property ladder what would be the main problems that ye think are getting in the way of your plans to buy a house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Possibly others who buy up property as investments and to amass wealth? Between that and the government actively competing in the housing market to purchase social housing. And of course, an old practice resurfacing of employers need to provide housing for their employees, used to build them like Guinness's, now they buy them.

What's left is for the young and not so young to scrabble over.

I bought my first rental property when I was 23. I am personally of the opinion (I’m not saying I’m correct) that too many people are hung up on wanting to live in a big city where houses are very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Agree 100% with you. A house in an estate near where I live sold for €200,000 about 8 months ago. Another house in the same estate is currently making €270,000 and is tipped to make up to €300,000. Seems like where I live with the last 12 months there’s been hyperinflation in house prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Plus the cheaper end of the market where landlords are locked into lower rents is emptying out as their best option becomes leaving the business altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

living at home…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

another thread falling into the vanilla black hole....maybe this post will let it fall through to the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I hear the issue popping up regular now in vox pops for the elections. Think of all the families affected, not just the 20-30 yr olds themselves but their parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbours who are aware of this.

I think we'll see a lot of scrabbling and infighting between parties in coming elections as they try to shrug off any responsibility for the situation. And of course inevitably this is tied into the influx of people into the state over the past two years and ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The situation is crazy, and I guess people don't realise until they are close to it.

We're facing another general election within ten months with the housing crisis actually worse than it was in 2020.

Fecking cabins are being touted as a genuine part of the solution. https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/home/1389478/renewed-calls-to-tipperary-council-to-relax-planning-policy-on-log-cabins-and-mobile-homes.html

I can understand people being very cynical about supports for ayslum seekers if they are working themselves but have to live with their parents in their 30s or 40s.

The country is fecked, we are working hard, full employment, but quality of life is going way down for thousands of people. Twenty years ago the idea of people working all their lives but unable to rent a fecking house was unthinkable.

There is a huge shock coming to FF and FG in the general election. People put up with poor health facilities and being sleepwalked into the worst recession in post-war European history, but the centre parties kept a hold of power. I don't think it'll happen again, the public mood is toxic.

Advertisement