Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Or just more Garda assigned to full-time roads policing duty. An experienced officer out on patrol is sure to pick up the cues or traits of someone on their phone

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AndrewJRenko has been reminded that he is threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

With the technology we live with today do we really need physical feet on the ground? Cameras should really be able to detect these kinds of things

We are agreed that enforcement is needed though

If a camera/tech can do a good job then great. The problem is, they would be static/fixed locations.

Yeah but there are certain locations where using a phone or breaking a red light is far more dangerous than others. We're not looking to catch anybody, we want them to drive safer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Catch people on the dual carriageways and motorways and it has a ripple effect to lower usage across other roads.
    No one is saying it’s a magic bullet but it’s a step in the right direction and will improve driver behaviour and ultimately save lives and prevent injuries.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You won't get them to drive safer without instilling a fear of being caught though.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭drury..

They need to do something to up the deterrent level it's endemic

The muppets that just can't put down the fone are the worst. Not even doing anything urgent.

There should be no excuse for phone usage while at the wheel in 2024. Bluetooth connections are in nearly every new car sold in the last 14 years

That's another distraction while driving even with the Bluetooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Not much help if you want to watch Tik Tok videos or keep up to date on Whatsapp (as some drivers seem to want to do).

If our enforcement was better it would be a non-issue

Agreed. Scrolling, social media etc is an addiction, and could be as deadly as substance addiction when driving a vehicle.

There's a lot with the 2 hands on the wheel and fone simultaneously at 12 o'clock position

Seems to be the preferred method for typing with a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If a sense of personal responsibility was better...,.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Jay Leno had a joke years ago that driving is the last thing on an American’s mind when they get behind the wheel. Everything else is more important.

Thanks to smart phones (and other factors) we’re now in the same boat.

Flicking on to the next song, reading the latest in the group chat etc. is not more important than looking where you’re going.
    Trying to get that through to people though, is so difficult. ‘I’m only looking at it for a second’ ‘I’ve never had a crash’ and then there is is the absolute entitlement of people who just don’t want to be told what to do by anyone else, regardless of its merit.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

That's not happening

Start hauling them before the courts with 1000 fine and 5points would help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Harsh penalties, will result in highly contested cases.

Just look at drink driving.. it is the single most contested traffic matter.

Why.. because a driving licence is at risk .

Substantial fines, and short bans, would be more effective than penalty points and long bans.

I agree with the latter point on substantial fines. However, if drivers treated their licence to drive as valuable and important to begin with, there would be little need for highly contested court cases. Instead, a cohort are treatinf their licences as a permit to do what they like and impose that on other who value and respect their licence to drive. I was out cycling this afternoon and the amount of close passes, with on coming traffic, before blind bends was insane. In all cases the vehicle coming from behind made no effort to respect others. They just ploughed through like they own the road and there is absolutely no risk to themselves or others. I was out for 2.5hrs, mainly on national roads and never seen one marked Garda vehicle.Things cannot continue like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GPoint

Phone addiction is a disease.
    Some people need to be glued to their phones all the time. I see people cannot let it go even in the toilets, trying to pee one handed and holding phone scrolling with another hand. What is it in the phone that one cannot leave it even in the toilets is beyond understanding. Same with the drivers . Phone should be left in your bag. If no bag then put in glove box. No speed limits will help until people change behaviour. Mass propaganda campaign in social media may help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Static, but mobile. The tech is there that they can be portable and battery powered, notwithstanding vehicle based cameras.

I say introduce an optional Saturday driving school in lieu of points, the fine should stay to pay for the schooling. People will only do it once as that would be weekend ruined for many and they won't want that again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think in the UK for minor offences they give the option of points or a safe driving course.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The punishment at the moment is fine. What is missing from the legal process is the enforcement of the laws.
    We saw it with the introduction of penalty points - people thought that they could be caught and drive with care. Nowadays people know that whatever crap behaviour they show on the roads will, unless very unlucky, go unpunished. It has otten to the stage that people are blatantly not caring about the laws and some feel they can do as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But we aren't even good at implementing bans in this country.

Have you seen the stats for percentage of people who surrender their licences when they arrive in court? It's terrible. And there is little to no follow up when they don't surrender it.

We have thousands of people driving around in this country who were told by the courts to surrender their licence and simply didn't bother themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just posted this in the cycling forum - it's a signal of the impunity and recklessness with which people treat large vehicles (both the lorry driver and the van driver)

doing 40km/h+ along the side of the runway earlier, a chap driving a hannigan freight 40 footer overtook me, into oncoming traffic. it was not a mistake, it was quite deliberate. the motorist in the oncoming car had to swerve to avoid being hit.

remarkably, just as he had about finished pulling back into lane, the driver of a van coming the opposite direction (behind the car mentioned above) appeared to swing towards the lorry while leaning on the horn, presumably as a way of voicing his displeasure. he got uncomfortably close to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

we have more then enough laws,as said above what we dont have is enforcement…i give thanks to the hairy dude in the sky that i dont have to travel during the rush hours but even being on the roads at the quieter times of day the amount of stupid driving i see is unreal,overtakes on bends,undertakes on hard shoulders,red lights dont seem to mean anything more of an "advisement",near every driver i see either has the phone clamped to the head or in the lap,its nuts!

Im seriously thinking about buying an old land rover type of maching and kitting it out with full race/rally spec safety roll bars and deepest jungle/outback bullbars front,sides and back!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I ride a bike and the local roads are basically narrow cul de sacs with parked cars.

On several occasions recently, I have been overtaken by local cars that came uncomfortably close both beside me and having to pull in front of me because of parked cars. In order tp pass me, they had to accelerate hard and brake hard because of the short space available to them. And this in a 30 Km/h limit.

Now I reckon, these rushing motorists saved less than 30 seconds, but if they had knocked me off my bike, there would be a very different story - resulting in much greater time wasted than was saved. One elderly driver had a blue disabled driver badge.

Why do they do it?

The funny thing is that motorists who lose the rag at being held up behind you for 20s won't bat an eyelid when they hit a set of traffic lights further up the road and have to sit there for 40s.

In the incident I mentioned above, that lorry driver was sitting behind me for less than probably 20s before the overtake, and since I was going 40 anyway, I had actually cost him less than 10s. But it was enough to get him to commit to a flagrantly dangerous overtake.

• Advertisement

I had somebody undertake me the other day pull into my lane and then suddenly slam on the brakes because he was at a red light.

Not only was I not driving slowly, doing 60 in a 60 zone but also I was driving an ambulance! That to me shows how far we've come, what kind of person does that to an ambulance like?

Advertisement