Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

If you wade over into the Gaza thread the loudest squeals are from those who don’t actually care as to what happens to the people on ground in Gaza with pages upon pages of criticism of Biden and Americans for providing aid while all we in Ireland offer are “symbolic features”

With that in mind seeing that Ireland is 1.2% of EU population

Our fair share would be 60,000 Palestinians

let’s get the tents and portable home ready now as a sign of solidarity with peoples front of Judea (or is it Judeans people front we recognise?)

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

We have vast numbers of senior civil servants and well paid politicians to sort that end of it out. Manage the resources correctly and do what we can while prioritizing our own people in need first - that’s my position on it.

Obviously if we could influence other nations to stop bombing other nations it would help greatly - which hopefully this move might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Saw an interview with an migrant who said that South Africa has become unsafe so he came here while his wife and children are back home. It's so unsafe but not unsafe enough to leave them behind. He then complained that he hasn't heard anything about accomodation. A great example of an economic migrant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

What I think some people don't understand is,if we were to bring 50,000 Palestinians to ireland tomorrow,they will bring their problems with them, Downgrading life a bit for everyone here just so some people can look on from afar and pat themselves on the back at how virtuous the Irish are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Plus lets not mention the issues other neighbouring countries have had with refugees from there in the past. Just lob 50k in and everybody will live happily ever after in the multicultural dreamworld.

• Advertisement

We really need to get a handle on what's happening now first before any more come in. That won't happen though as the numbers just keep coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Where the hell is Catherine Martin, Minister for Tourism. https://www.greenparty.ie/people/catherine-martin

It's quite extraordinary that she has been given a free pass by the media on matters affecting tourism for the past year and more.

All you ever hear her blather on about is RTE funding and money for artistes.

A more totally useless minister I can't think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

If it's the same interview I saw, he said that "The government aren't governing, the police aren't policing" about South Africa.

I wonder has anyone told him yet about Ireland...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Indeed - your post was strong on the hand-wringing and virtue-signaling but weak on any actual details.

Have you thought about going into politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ECookie13

B..bu..bu..but, he specifically is Fleeing War and Persecution™ you know, so he must leapfrog all the native Iriish and get on our welfare and housing system instantly.

The poor fella!

Believe or not, boards.ie doesn’t run Ireland. I clearly said a cap should be in place and we help as many people as we can while putting our own national needs first - what do you actually want me to say? when you are finished with the sneering that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Not quite the same is it? Irish in Australia, knowing what the Australian government release in relation to them. Not at all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'd strongly urge you to do some reading on the history of Palestinian refugees in Middle Eastern countries before you think of welcoming them with open arms.

I’d strongly urge you read my post. Nowhere did I say open the floodgates to Palestine. Can you not comprehend what I’ve said there? A Palestinian(if one was to arrive in Ireland) as things currently stand would be genuine refugee in my eyes vs the economic illegal migrants we have coming in at present.

That’s it.

You know very well the poster was using the Irish in Sydney group as an example. If the Australian government published a white paper in relation to non Australians then that would be discussed on those kind of groups. It is exactly the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

why dont we take in 2 millon sure we are far from full with loads of spare tents, glorious weather and tons of spare houses and hotels - why not take them all and start a civil war here the way things are going

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

But that's not what has been happening in Clonmel however people here try to spin it .

The security staff were assaulted and one hospitalised by locals alright , those locals are the travellers who live next door and consider the fields around as theirs for their horses and criminal activities

The only others 'locals' are a ' group ' consisting of an ould CT header from Tipperary , not even Clonmel and a crazy fellow CT lady hanging around doing videos and trying to drum up outrage , sending them to their buds like Micko Keeffe on X to disperse to the gullible Twitter- anti .

While the majority in the town are annoyed that local homeless people are being bypassed yet again ..no-one is supporting /having anything to do with the carryon up at that site unless they are similarly minded head-the -balls .

Same ould story here on this thread... .A few posters posting links from very dubious sources about these 'protests ', and it gets sucked up by others and grows legs here .

Before you know it the entire local community is being quoted as supporting these bunch of loons and racists .

Big difference thinking at home and discussing with family and friends about how badly the government are handling this and housing etc to going out with crazy people like that shouting abuse and videoing it for everyone to see .

People will use the democratic process to note their concern .

There is trouble down in Clonmel .

It is an issue .

But as I have stated here before " the dogs on Heywood Road " know where the problem lies and have been looking for action for years .

So now it's a visible problem nationally .

• Advertisement

What does CT mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

conspiracy theory

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

I'm loving it. Travellers don't want IPA's housed next to them 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

That has always been the fear, but who knows what ROG has planned for the Trudder site. But if that is the case, afaik, modular homes aren't exempt from planning laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Did you miss the part where the anthem of the country whose forces perpetrated the killing of Irish people at Croke Park was played, and its flag raised? But the celebration of Eid by some Muslims — where the Irish flag was held aloft by Muslims and small children were running about with mini tricolour flags and facepaint — raises this deep emotion in you on the blood symbolism of the Croke Park turf?

One day it's complaints Muslims won't integrate with an Irish identity, the next day it's complaints when they make an attempt to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's really very telling to see how the national broadcaster are dealing with the Clonmel story. In places like Roscrea, Newtown, Roscahill etc - reports were all about so called far right activists, loads of photos and descriptions. NGOs intereviewed wringing their hands.

Clonmel? Far more serious damage and violence, gets a brief mention on the news. No mention of travellers, no interviews with Pavee Point. Radio silence.

Could barely be a bigger contrast in how the national broadcaster, the so called filter of the true facts, is dealing with these issues surrounding protests over refugees and asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

maybe they should be glad 😀

Headline from the BBC ……..

“As Ibiza and Mallorca say no to tourists coming to party, it's becoming increasingly clear that expectations on travellers in the world's most popular destinations are changing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

You'll probably find though that people will use the "genuine refugee" line as a token of reasonableness (ie, "I have no problem with genuine refugees but it's the fake and dishonest ones from safe countries I have an issue with") — but will then go on to find fault with policies to host them.

You can also see how certain responses as to how many Palestinians we would have to take in highlight the unintended irony of the "Ireland first, close the door" approach — which is if other countries in Europe also take the "us first" approach then suddenly it becomes a question of who gets f***ed over / overrun with the burden. And while the temptation to say "so what" is there, that will only stand until the chain reaction of one country not caring about f***ing over its neighbours eventually makes its way here (the recent Tory glee of putting Paddy back in his box being a taster of that).

A small price to pay though for a world where refugees, faced with the common sense policies of European nations, will wander into a portal to another dimension and bother us no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Only a few weeks ago I read an article by a journalist retiring after 30 odd years with the Irish Times.

He said that journalism now is far more based on emotion and feeling than analysis. It has been so true of the coverage of immigration since the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Feck it, if the countryman can saw it about the Traveller, why can't the Traveller say it about the countryman. 😅

Advertisement