Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Roots 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Also line up -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I wish ye all the best lads, anyone going but 210 yoyos is a steep ask when you've got a Gerry Cinnamon tribute 3rd from the top on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Im sure there is financial and other logistics to consider when it comes to a festival, but why they dont make this a 2 day festival and try and make a better line up with all those acts.

There is so much scope for a brilliant west of ireland weekend festival, had hoped that wildroots would have finally been the one but currently way off that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

What's the latest with this festival ? I just got myself a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Gary_dunne

• Advertisement

Generally is it good. I haven't really heard of any of the bands.

I've been to both the 2022 and 2023 event. The first year was by far the better of the two, fist festival after COVID, big enough crowds about 12k or so with some decent acts. I was camping and the area for that was fine, decent selection of food vendors. Security was very lax if you were camping so could bring your own cans into the stage areas, bars must have lost out on a fortune. Nice family vibe during the day and good craic at night.

The second year wasn't as good, quite a poor line-up (better than this years) and the toilets were a disaster, half hour queues for builders toilets. Security a bit stricter on bringing drink in, some were grand with it, some made you pour it into a plastic cup instead of the can and some let nothing in.

The weather really saved it last year, scorching on all 3 days which led to a much better atmosphere, would have been completely different place in the rain.

Line-Up is quite poor but Damien Dempsey is always good, Hermitage Green were a success 2 years ago at it. The Barley Mob and Ham Sandwich are good for chilling during the day and the trad church is always lively with decent sessions going.

I'm not going this year, as mortgage saving, but the Bring your friend for free offer is on again and a brilliant deal. Two tickets for a 3 day camping for essentially €105 each is a no brainer if the weather is good regardless of the acts that are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭TenPicnics

I was there in 2022, decided against it last year due to very poor line up. Reports from friends who went were not good, very shoddy facilities along with a lack of decent music. f the weather isn't good for it this year I wouldn't be surprised if it folded for good. The location is stunning, it's a shame if a viable festival can't use the land, but I don't think Wild Roots as it stands can survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Annani

I had a completely different experience to your friends in 2023.

im not sure what you mean by shoddy facilities?

it’s beautiful location. Good size and chilled crowd and family campsite was spacious . Lots of good quality food on offer.

The only real negative was there could have been more shaded areas but it was absolutely scorching weather that weekend.

We are going again next week with a bigger tent with shade and really looking forward to it

I agree with most of what you've said but the the toilets last year were horrendous last year. Queues of nearly half an hour all evenings at both the ones near main stage and the ones by the campsite. Most lads ended up just pissing against the fences. None of them had toilet roll after day 1 and they were filthy.

I still enjoyed the weekend but they really need to make sure it isn't just standard builders toilets this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

agree completely, the toilet situation was absolutely awful. About 10 portaloos for the whole site, hopefully the organisers recognise the issue and and extra facilities this year

How much of a mission is it to go from the site to a pub for normal pints ?

Not too much of a mission, probably half hour 45 mins walk into the town, grand on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

FESTIVAL CANCELLED…as per Ocean FM news!!

Ye it’s up on their Instagram now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been murmurs of it all morning.. front page of local newspaper this morning:

Can't say I'm suprised, but still a shame to see!

Oh no 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Phishwax

Shite lineup and ran by cowboys. Good riddance. Plenty of lovely music festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RINO87

Hopefully people get their money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

I know festivals are expensive to run but that line up doesn't match the price on the ticket for me so its no surprise to see it fail, it was probably destined to at some stage after this years. The ticket cost about 40 quid more than my Electric Picnic ticket and while people are criticising that line up this one is mostly just radio presenters, random DJs and tribute acts. Piss poor for €210 like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Johnnymac706

Night and Day festival only up the road so hopefully that gets the overflow as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I'd be worried about this one. Refunds not till June 22nd is bizarre unusual and worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Wooderson

They clearly haven't a pot to p1ss in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

In case anyone had booked accommodation for the festival and will still come for that weekend, the Rory Gallagher Festival is on in Ballyshannon same weekend and the Sligo County Fleadh in Easkey. There is always live music in Sligo town as well 7 nights a week - I realise these are worlds apart from a festival like Wild Roots but just in case anyone has non-refundable accommodation booked :)

https://sligocountyfleadh.ie/

https://www.rorygallagherfestival.com/

https://www.johnthemap.co.uk/sm-file/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MacPint

Pity to see it go. Alas. Didn’t there used to be a festival in Temple House?

On the topic of NW festivals I hear Sea Sessions is not selling well. They should have tried to scale it up a few years ago when it was selling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Moving it out of the town last year did it no favours whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rockterrain

You'll get much better quality of music at Rory Fest at a fraction of that price. Some fantastic free pub gigs across the weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There was also another more electronic dance festival that you could byob called No Place Like Dome which ran for a few years in County Sligo.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement