Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

see post above this one… “fcuk all” you say? 🤥

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have to say, I'm not understanding the reason it hasn't been done before. What are the alternatives? Palestine as a protectorate of some other country? Nobody wants them. Unlike Taiwan which is the only other place I can think of with a similarly nebulous status, where China does consider the place theirs. We've been talking about "two state solutions" for decades at this point...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Who said anything like that.. do you realise that there is more to Palestine than Gaza??

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Ireland is only a nasty spot on the ass of decent countries.

Most respectable countries and governments hold back on such nonsense until Hamas is destroyed and their influence in Palestine is eradicated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Are you even Irish, do you even live here? You seem to post in this thread only to insult Ireland, but if we matter so little why do you bother?

• Advertisement

Great group of countries, ireland fits in well

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Nonsense!!!

"This isn't an Arab/Israeli thing…" What are you talking about? It's quintessentially an Arab Israeli thing. At the end of the day they are the peoples who will have to work out a way of coexisting peacefully with each other.

Of course, external powers take an interest. They always do in local conflicts in which they seek to further their own interests. But Iran didn't instigate the Israel/Arab or even Israel/Palestine conflict. Any more than the Germans instigated the Irish Home Rule crisis of 1912-14. Sure. They exploited it for their own ends, by giving guns to BOTH sides—Unionist and Nationalist because their best interests were served by encouraging a debilitating civil war inside the United Kingdom. But the conditions for that crisis were caused without any German input whatsoever.

I accept that relatively powerless countries like Ireland, Norway and Spain recognising Palestinian statehood is something of a "take the knee" gesture but when combined with the earlier recognitions by many other countries around the world, including several smaller EU countries, the momentum is building for a solution that just might be the basis for a lasting peace.

Israel has been quite content to stomach a bantustan/Indian reservation style solution in which millions of Palestinians are herded into a non viable "strip" of land, starved of the means of independent living and subjected to periodic devastating attacks when the pressure gets too much. But October 7th shows where that policy leads.

Israel is great at winning wars. All that means is they have to keep fighting them. Winning a war and winning a peace are two different things. Pity the Israelis are so clueless about the second challenge.

The only thing strong about Ireland is its debit balance.

Still owes a s#itload of money that hasn't been paid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

The reason is that now that Ireland / Spain and Norway have recognised Palestine these countries have nothing to stop them from immediately proceeding to build a European pier in Gaza and spend billions on providing aid

And hence the social commentators in these countries can continue to blame US military and Biden for trying to offer aid without appearing like a complete bunch of **** hypocrites

/s

Read the last few pages (beside proceeding to attack instead of debate posters) of this thread, page after page of giving out about Biden and Americans without a shred of irony as our own countries are doing nothing beside “symbolic gestures”

Symbolism won’t feed the people of Gaza nor get rid of HAMAS as you yourself have now admitted

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That comment was made the guts of 4 months ago but anyway..

I've heard that saying for years, and given the worst of Hamas and its ideology, there is a lot of truth to it. The Palestinian leadership are more than happy to sacrifice its people for a reactionary, fascist, religious and political cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

He's not Irish, looking at his posts I had to look at his profile, not a very happy camper by the looks of things coming to Ireland. If below represents what he thinks of us he should get out fast, before we contaminate him.

—— Ireland is only a nasty spot on the ass of decent countries.

Most respectable countries and governments hold back on such nonsense until Hamas is destroyed and their influence in Palestine is eradicated

— — Great group of countries, ireland fits in well

— — The only thing strong about Ireland is its debit balance.

Still owes a s#itload of money that hasn't been paid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do you actually know how many countries recognise Palestine?

NNot Irish , unfortunately live here for the moment through work. I stand by my opinions

Yep. Most respectable well governed countries dont

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Could you not apply for a transfer out of the country if it pisses you off so much. Maybe to one of those countries where boards.ie is blocked so we wont have to listen to your moaning about us any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

You are confusing two things. Prior to October 7th great strides were being made to normalise relations between Saudi and Egypt and Israel. Iran was deeply uncomfortable with this and October 7th was a vicious assault by Iran on these forward movements. Iran does not want to see anything that improves Arab Israeli relations as it means tolerating and accepting Israels right to exist. We are now effectively in a proxy war between Iran and Israel as Hamas are nothing but Iranian terrorist stooges. I have no doubt the Russians diplomatically encouraged this with Iran as it suits Russia, as it splits the West and distracts out attention from Ukraine. South Africa just another useful idiot in the Russian camp with the ICC nonsense. Israels immediate task is to elimate and degrade as much of Hamas's capacity as possible to protect itself. Where we go after that who knows and unless the Iranian regime collapses I won't hold out much hope of peace anytime soon as Hezbollah are more Iranian stooges on Israel's doorstep. The innocent civilians in Gaza I am afraid are just caught in the middle of all of this being used as pawns by Hamas to move Western sentiment against Israel and its working to some extent as you see with useful idiots like Harris and Spanish and Norwegian mistakes today as well. The problem is many people have conflated what is occurring here with the much older Israeli/Palestinian question but really what we have is a state Iran who wants to wipe Israel from the planet or failing that being viable, disrupt and involve Israel in warfare and controversy to at least prevent closer and peaceful ties with other Middle Eastern countries. While I am fully conversant and aware of the historical and continuing Arab Israeli questions, this I am afraid is another issue entirely and it's one which I fear will continue to run unless we see a dramatic collapse in Iran's awful regime.

2028 is my time. Surely I am entitled to post my opinions. They may be different to alot of posters but isn't that what makes it a forum. Stuck with me until then I'm afraid

Careful now, well nuanced and thought opinions based on facts get you labelled as ruZZian around these parts

But yeh spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Ireland hypocrites for recognising Palestine. Most citizens wouldn't even vote for a unified Ireland yet you stick your noses in foreign affairs. Virtue signaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Yes, calling Simon Harris a useful idiot is a profound critique of Irish foreign policy.

Of course that only works if you ignore everything going on in the West Bank for the last years, which is what the Israelis want... Look away from our ethnic cleansing and settlement (which is in itself a war crime)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Recognising the sovereignty of another state isn't virtue signaling and calling it that demonstrates a total lack of understanding of international relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I’ve been to Tel Aviv, never been to Gaza for obvious reasons. And the disparity in treatment was obvious then. Have you been there?

If everyone turned a blind eye World War Two wouldn’t have happened right? And where would we be now.

I agree Hamas is a major issue, however I’m also of the belief that Israel is too. They have proven they can bomb and attack quite accurately but choose not to in Gaza. Dumb bomsb etc. I still believe recognising a two state gives ordinary Palestinians something to hope and look toward rather than vengeance one generation after the next due to the apartheid treatment, stealing of land, brutal treatment by the Israelis. As was mentioned after the October attacks, I condemn Hamas. Doesn’t change the fact this didn’t happen “in a vacuum”

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Not trying to make anything 'work' and well aware of what has been going on in the West Bank. Plenty to be discussed and critiqued on both sides in the long running Arab / Israeli issues. But what is going on right now is a different matter. I honestly think many people struggle to understand this. I am very happy to discuss and look at issues on all sides in that long running conflict be it Israeli or Arab but now is really not the time. Iran and it's support for Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis etc (who are happy to sink and shoot at Western ships and tie up American, British and other naval vessels protecting your goods being delivered from the Far East….) is the issue at hand here. Hate to say it but behaviour from Harris today, Spain and Norway is exactly what HHH and Iran wants, we are literally playing into their hands. Of course the right wing nature of the current administration in Israel isn't helping optics or realities but Iran is more than aware of this as they do all they can to tip Western countries against Israel. Every bit of help we provide is being carefully noted in Tehran and Moscow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

So the US have a law that permits them to break international law. Lunacy! Imagine if they actually tried to use it to launch such an action in a Nato partner's country.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

United national movement?

Permit me to jog your memory. First, there was the Irish Parliamentary Party, still a force in 1919 and that had been the third largest party in Westminster at the outbreak of the First World War. Then there was Sinn Fein which swept the election in 1919. They stuck together for about three years until the Treaty was proffered, then they started shooting the crap out of each other in the Civil War and beyond. More people killed in the Civil War than had been in the War of Independence. Then further splits into Fianna Fail, Republican Congress, down through the years to Official IRA, Provisional IRA, INLA, Real IRA, Continuity IRA etc etc.

All the while, south of the border there were political assassinations, reprisal killings, firing squads, hangings, internment……and that's without mentioning the Unionists. Or Labour.

Unified national movement…..my arse!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id have to agree - I spent time in Tel Aviv and Ashkelon and the treatment 24 years ago of the Palestinians was disgraceful even during times of so called peace - water and power shut off to Gaza, Palestinians treated like dirt by the Israelis.

Like yourself I condemn what Hamas did but its not like they werent pushed into a reaction and now its time for both sides to pull back and try and obtain a peaceful agreement - Hamas by returning the hostages in exchange for a lasting ceasefire and access to humanitarian aid.

The only possible solution for the future is a Two State solution and to have a two state solution the state of Palestine has to be recognised by the international community at its agreed borders set out in 1948. Its the Israelis that seemed to have a problem with these borders and constantly encroached on Palestinian territory.

I do feel that had Palestine been recognised as a state way back in 1948 then we wouldnt be here now and there could have been peace in the region.

• Advertisement

No, those things are not just the issue at hand, if there was a moratorium on settlement fine maybe you could say that but the last years have seen a big increase in settlement plus we have just a few days ago an Israeli minister says he wants to colonise the Gaza Strip and the current population should "be encouraged" to leave.

For years we have been told by the Americans and Israelis to wait and put off recognising Palestine and meanwhile they have just increased the rate of colonisation. You are just putting forward another excuse to delay, and soon enough there won't be anything left to recognise (which I'm sure is something the Israel gov is very cognisant of)

Advertisement