Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4, Cula4, TG4 +1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You think that they would consider putting TG4 +1 on Sky as the shut down the SD broadcast. Anyone know if +1 is planned for sky, strange to not see it there when it is clearly sharing the same space as Cula4 (Though I'd expect it to be in HD also!)

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Shan Doras

@RoTelly Have they told us if anybody is watching the Cula4 channel?

No not sure if they applied to be on TAM Ireland ratings. While TAM Ireland will have them and TG4 know what they are every 15minutes, TG4 can't release that information as it is confidential to TAM Ireland as they are non-paying channels. Same for RTÉ NEWS channel, though RTÉ News have let it is slip and way back when it was the 2nd watch TV channel not report on TAM Ireland / Neilsen, I think Channel 5 was in that list also, may have taken the top place.

______

Yesterday

I bet Cula4 doesn't have any viewers especially since it continues on the main channel

IMO they should really have +1 the times when CULA4 is on TG4.

e.g. when CULA4 is on TG4 the programme an hour earlier should be on CULA4.

RTÉjr has just 0.30% of the audience can't imagine Cula4 has much more.

I be more interested in TG4+1 as it is across platforms, unlike VMTV1+1. And also as it has a later start to RTÉ2+1, I honestly think it might actually be doing better than both.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It really doesn't matter. It's not there for the viewers but to keep lobby groups happy at taxpayer expense.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

I would have liked it if TG4+1 could have been the Film Channel in association with the Irish Film Board.

Cine4, between 7 - 1, put France 24 back on late night on that channel. 3 movies isn't much and I'd image both TG4 and Screen Ireland would have rights to air those each night.

______

Yesterday

TG4 are spending tax payers money on foolish things, like why fairly recently launch a +1 channel when online players have made such stations obsolete and even RTE are closing theirs ? What is the point of the Cula4 channel when Cula4 remains on the main channel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I find the +1 a big plus (no pun intended).

Anything good on all the main channels usually clash at nighttime. Without the +1's I wouldn't get to see a lot of stuff I want to.

Virgin should have added a +1 as well instead of VM4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Fair point not everyone has smart TVs or good enough internet to access stuff via players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭decor58

The +1's are handy as you say in the case of a clash and it appears as if everything doesn't make it to the players and then there is a delay in getting to the player, its also handy to record be it at the regular time or the +1 and skip the ads. Plus as has been said the internet signal can prove to be an issue, on top of that the availability of the VM player is not universal, we have 3 brands of tv and resort to Now sticks to access the VM player.

I've never tried TG4's player, but RTE Player is well known to be complete dogshît and despite multiple reboots they're incapable of fixing it. So losing the +1 channels to save hardly any money at all is a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

TG4 player functions perfectly technically but a lot of stuff doesn't be put on it and it's very difficult to navigate or search.

It works reasonably ok on a smart TV I have but anytime previously I've used the app via Chromecast it was patchy to say the least. Also the app I have on my smart TV won't allow me to watch shows live. At time we can have reception issues with RTE so that's a bit of a pain.

RTÉ aren't replacing their plus 1's with anything. How much extra does CULA4/TG4+1 actually cost to run.

______

Yesterday

Would love to see it as a channel even an player brought to you by TG4 and Screen Ireland, Cine4 has a new logo.

______

Yesterday

I am not sure what TG4 have asked for in the budget I have read one report saying it wants 14m for Nuacht TG4 (News), but there is no real details. I was never a huge fan of the idea of Nuacht TG4 moving away from RTÉ, I honestly felt it was just one of those points that the FOMC thought was a good idea to add to their 50 points. I think as the broadcaster TG4 is responsible for the news output but that news output can come from RTÉ IMO.

So what would they plan to do with 14m a year, extend their news programme to 1hour, a lunch time news and a late night news. You think that with the limited resources that they have they would consider doing this now, it might bring the NUJ to the table if the Lunch time and late night news on TG4 was present by a non-journalist member and was just a translation of France24 and RTÉ NEWS, similar to that of their Fiorsceal programme.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Explained here,

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0716/1460185-tg4-news-service/

The cost is to set up Nuacht TG4 separate from Nuacht RTE (baring in mind any synergies/costs currently shared between the two would have to be duplicated) and running costs for three years.

Post edited by icdg on

Needless duplication but it's taxpayers' money we're talking about here…

What of the 3 years after that? What are we talking about in terms of services.

We aren't talking about a new TV channel.

A news section on TG4 website (something that they should have, even if it is just a copy of Nuacht RTÉ), Extra news programming, an additional hour of TV news, additional episodes of 7lá.

The FOMC only suggested editorial control, RTÉ could still continue to fund the programme, indeed the head of Nuacht RTÉ for TV could simply move over to become staff at TG4.

As for the following : -

Speaking earlier on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta's Adhmhaidin programme, TG4 Director General Alan Esslemont said it is evident from SIPTU that their members in Nuacht TG4's studio in Co Galway are very unhappy about working conditions.

"The studio is falling apart," he said. "And if it were not for the investment that I made when I arrived, the studio would have fallen apart."

He seems to be blaming RTÉ for the lack of maintenance of TG4 studios. While asking for an extra 2m to update equipment, surely that his is job as part of his current funding and previous funding.

RTÉ currently spend €7 on TG4 programming, most of this is news and current affairs, he wants 11m to cover this.

I don't see anything extra being provided or any ideas given as to what TG4 will offer the audience.

If it is extra visual content then I can understand (7lá moving to a 4 day week, Nuacht TG4 going out for an hour).

None of this is address in the article, rather the relationship between RTÉ, TG4 and the Unions.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

The cheek of TG4 coming out with the begging bowl again after already getting a bucket of Tax payers money for setting up a separate totally unnecessary Cula4 channel

How much money are we talking here? Fair dues to them. They are the only Irish TV broadcaster with energy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

€13.6m over three years, and more after that, to do exactly what they have been doing for the past 28 years with no additional commitment (and some versions of that article that suggested they’d be setting up an entire news channel are a pipe dream). All because they’ve had a row with RTE and want someone else to produce their news instead.

TBH the extra money to TG4 in the last budget had nothing to do with CULA4. TG4 had already decided on that regardless of the budget increase. And I think that their is some value to be got from CULA4, though I would prefer if they either remove the programming from TG4 or had Cula4 as a +1 service to TG4's CULA4 rather than a simucast. I would have also have liked to have seen CINE4 rather than +1.

The additional funding must come with extra commitments (not a full time channel). I assume one extra commitment would have to be a news service on TG4.ie, but really they'd need more than that.

IMO if The Gove did give 17m to TG4 it'd really would need to merge with RnaG at least there would be some Economies of scale for the news service.

______

Yesterday

When Cula4 isn't on their main channel, The Pre-7pm schedule consists of, The Wonder years, Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman, The Golden Girls, Shark tank, Murder she wrote & Irish paint magic, surely that schedule is extremely questionable for an Irish language station in receipt of a substantial amount of tax payers money?

Yeah it is, I wouldn't mind if they mixed it with an Irish presenters but also they have really reduced the amount of links to programmes, I'd not be surprised if idents are carried before The Golden Girls with no Irish Language continuity announcement. Also at this point the selection of programmes is poor and repeative. At this point they have repeated all episodes at least 5 times if not more.

They should have at least replace them with newer programming such as Friends, Malcom in the Middle and Monk.

TG4 to me has fallen from grace, yes they still make some good programming but their imports are poor, and while I understand that imports are cheap and that these shows come from the same distributor as the cartoons that are Dubbed, I wonder how necessary they are considering that most of the animation shown on TG4 are European imports.

I love to know the audience numbers for the repeats, perhaps when they first appeared about 10 years ago it might have been a novelty but at this point, surely repeats of your own back catalogue would be better used.

______

Yesterday

TG4's non Irish language content can only be funded by non government funding or it was the case initially so ads programme resales etc..

No this is not true, there is no requirement for either RTÉ or TG4 not to spend money on imports using public revenue.

TG4 from 1999 to 2008-ish had a deal with Warner Brothers hence you had alot of HBO programming, TG4 had bought these shows mainly for Cula4, hence the dubbing of Batman and other DC animate serials at the time. This helped TG4 with both children's and non-Irish language programming. This happened at the time to be around 3million, which was of set by commercial revenue.

I am sure their are other American programming packages (with similar programming) open to TG4 beyond the one they currently have and have had for the last number of years.

______

Yesterday

Do we know how much money TG4 took in, in advertising in 2023?

• Advertisement

Annual reports for both RTÉ and TG4 have yet to be published.

€5.2 million in 2022, €3.4m is advertising, they spend €3.6m on Dubbed/Acquired/subtitling, so not sure how that is broken down for Acquired programming.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement