Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭jacool

On BBC Five Live last night, they said Idah signed up to 2028 at Norwich, but the buyout would only be £5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would have been fine with Lennon being appointed. Even more so when other preferred options fell through and we are now in an absurd situation of offering a new manager zero preparation before our next competitive match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

When we took Adam on loan in January I was surprised it wasn’t a loan to buy option. I wasn’t certain that he could make a significant contribution at Celtic but he’s taken to the task brilliantly.

I think if Brendan Rodgers wants him we’ll get him and under Rodgers’ tutelage and coaching I think Adam can come on in leaps and bounds. Hopefully a deal will be done now.

Happy for Kenny to sign a long term deal with Pats, no doubt he will be a success there.

I do think it confirms a lot in terms of the conversation during his reign. We ideally would have a manager who's natural level is above LOI level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Always thought it was decent move for him. Don't think he's at premiership or even championship level but the SPL is a perfect fit for him. Delighted it went well for him

The way you’re trying to compartmentalise things there doesn’t tell the whole picture. The SPL might not be the same level overall than the English Championship but Idah is playing for a far bigger club than any English Championship club. It’s a challenge that he has risen to. He’s playing under a better manager than he ever has before and he’s playing with better players than he ever has before. His game is improving and has improved for those reasons and because he’s got the personality to take the opportunity. He’s not first pick, he’s usually a sub on the hour mark for Kyogo but he’s getting lots of game time. It’s been a good move for him so hopefully it’ll become a permanent move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would be some come down for Idah going back to grafting for Norwich after the few months he had. Scoring goals, winning trophies getting noticed at home and abroad, prospect of UCL football. He seems to be enjoying it up there so hopefully he stays and is successful.

2 players in champions league has to be good for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭fran38

He wont be going back to Norwich after scoring that 1st goal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,219 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Interesting to see if Undav returns to Brighton again. Played himself into Germany's Euro squad. His last spell with them wasn't great but he is a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mikey Johnston V Will Smallbone at the moment in the second playoff semi. Manning on the bench too.

• Advertisement

End of the first half, Smallbone's Southampton much better. West Brom woeful - though Mikey Johnston looks the only bright spark there, the only one making things happen. Johnston had probably the best moment of the half, dribbling through 3 players, and playing a lovely perfectly weighted ball over the opposite flank in the final third to two WB players - who each assumed the other would go for it, and both just stood there as it rolled past them. Really embarrassing looking stuff.

Whoever gets through of this round, would expect Leeds to beat them handy enough.

Smallbone puts Southampton ahead with a terrific strike. Started the move too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭jacool

Neil Lennon takes over at Rapid Bucaresti!

They were interviewing Martin O'Neil as well apparently… seems they had a very specific 'type' in mind 😅

A glib and boring comment.

Meanwhile back at the ranch we still have no manager for the senior men’s team. Ha Ha big laugh.

crikey, that's quite a reaction - not sure what you mean though. Just thought it was funny that they were interviewing two managers so closely connected through their shared history/jobs/nationality/style.

(i've also said a whole bunch of times i'd have taken Lennon quite happily once Carsley was out - and certainly any day of the week over O'Shea)

I’m just falling to see the funny side of the shambles that the FAI are making of this appointment, it’s a joke but a boring, tedious and not for us an at all funny one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,219 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stephen Kenny showing his talent anyway, zero points from 2 games. Even our league is beyond him now.

I wasn't making a joke - or commenting in any way - about the current Ireland appointment… that had nothing at all to do with my post.

It just amused me that such a far flung club as Rapid Bucaresti were interviewing two local men with such a massive amount in common - that it looked, as i said, like they had a 'type'. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He took over mid-season at a struggling side just five days ago. He's probably had more matches than training sessions in that time. And the last one was a last-minute defeat against the league leaders.

He's been given a five year contract so evidently the chairman is looking long-term and not expecting instant miracles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TokTik

He just needs time to implement his ideas.

Where have I heard that before??

I think, in fairness, he will succeed there. This is his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kind of related to the national team but former FAI CEO Fran Rooney has died.

He was only 67.

I recall when he became FAI CEO in 2003 that there was the hope that he would "sort out" the organization, because at the time and as there always is with the FAI there was lots of concern around governance, finances etc.

He lasted just about a year, I don't know or recall whether he left himself or was pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Believe he was pushed. It's no coincidence that Delaney got the job after Rooney left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Ogbene could defintely get a premier league move.

The author of the article works for Whoscored so could be something like picking players based by their Whoscored rating.

Also it's probably hard to list everyone you think could move. Need to keep it short otherwise it could turn into a blog. I wouldn't have listed either player too because feel they wouldn't be in the top three of most likely to leave.

I think he could too but unlike the other Luton players listed I think his options could be more limited.

Think he would be a good get for someone like Brentford but if they're bringing him in its likely to be a squad player. Covers RW and RWB which would suit them. Issue I can see with Ogbene could be the price Luton might want.

Similar with O'Shea. Burnley will need to sell some players given the big squad they have and some players will push to leave. Don't think O'Shea will push to leave and Burnley could demand a big fee to keep clubs away.

Sorry might have picked you up wrong earlier.

You’re right, they did appear to have a type in mind. The type of manager that has an extensive CV with a bit of experience.

Post edited by TheCitizen on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

With Vincent Kompany supposedly being Bayern's first choice to be manager then Cullen and O'Shea should be asking their agents to get some feelers out about possible moves if Kompany does move. Things could get messy at Burnley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭bren2001

Kompany is about Bayerns 50th choice. They’ve made a mess of appointing their next manager on a scale similar to the FAI.

Burnley have a great chance at bouncing back up. No point in fleeing the club to stay in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Worded badly more meant he's looking like the guy now that they're pushing for as the next manager and he's open to moving.

Think O'Shea can get a move back to the PL. Not saying the lads should be forcing their way out of Burnley but should be asking their agents to see what options are out there..

Think there's a possibility that things could get messy at Burnley this summer. They've spent a **** ton of money since VK came in and looks like VK was the one calling the shots on transfers. Would like to see Burnley bring in someone like Corberan if the lads stay. Might also try sign Mikey Johnston after his loan spell.

I honestly can't see it. He'll have players like Kimmich now who'll be a perfect fit for that role he wanted Cullen to play at Anderlecht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Elsewhere, I see Aaron Connolly has been released by Hull. Pretty disappointing… had looked like he was finally starting to get a bit settled after 18 months there. Back to the drawing board again for him.

They sacked the manager, Liam Rosenior, as well so maybe if he can get a gig somewhere else in the championship he might bring Connolly along - though he'd dropped him over the last few months of the season, so who knows.

Was another good article the other day from Neil O'Riordan. Looks more into his background growing up. Mentions that he won national titles in soccer and boxing on the same day and then won Munster road bowling title the following day. Also talks about the lad having type 1 diabetes.

Cyrus Christie was released by Hull too. That concussion and shoulder injury when Agnus Gunn tried to decapitate Connolly really killed his momentum.

While he technically only missed two games and played the next game Rosenior talked about him still having some after affects from the injury.

But I think he said come April his training performances weren't good enough to justify a place in the squad for someone that wasn't being kept on next season.

I know he comes off as cocky and arrogant at times but I'd say he's also someone that if he gets a setback it sets him back mentally. Given Blackburn's money issues wouldn't be surprised to see them try and sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Zefi switching to Albania

• Advertisement

Wow, that's a surprising one. Had he dropped out of the running for Irish underage squads? Hearing him talk (with his big Irish head on him) about how proud he was playing for Ireland, it's a bit of a shock to hear him switch, unless he reckons he's not getting called up by the U21s or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Where did you hear that? Nothing on google

seems to be on a few Albanian football twitter accounts. Who knows how legit that is… i'd guess we'll see over the course of the day..

AZ Alkmaar supposedly have some interest in Troy Parrott. Tweet is from a Dutch guy whose an Excelsior fan and does a fan podcast.

AZ Alkmaar would be a massive move if they signed him as Vangelis Pavlidis replacement. Think in the last 20 years they've only finished outside the top 4 twice and both times they finished 5th.

Yeah they're overage for the U19s now and isn't in the running for an U21s call up. Wouldn't be surprised if the switch is something to do with that because he feels he's being overlooked as others have gotten called up before him.

There's no doubting the kids got talent but there's also a vibe of this lad thinks he's much better than what he is. Was always more impressed with Vata when both played for Ireland.

While it's never nice if a player switches there's other younger players which also look as talented as he did at underage. Also Calum Kavanagh (a few months older) has had a good start to 2024 at League 2 level and Ollie O'Neill (whose a year older) has had a good start to 2024 at League One level.

Tyler Goodrham whose also only a few months older than Zefi played 40games for Oxford as they won promotion to the Championship via the playoffs. For the last ten games also he switched from being a winger to playing more centrally.

If Zefi had switched a few years ago I'd be more worried, but now days you've Mason Melia, Jadon Umeh, Ike Orazi, Trent Kone Doherty, and Naj Razi who are younger and coming through the underage.

Even at the 2005 age group Mark O'Mahony and Franco Umeh are closer at making the break through at senior level and even Rocco Vata. Plus you've got some 2003 lads making an impact at senior club level.

As long as he doesn't come back to the lower leagues in England I think he'll continue to develop. Very positive season for him.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Agree, would much rather he stays abroad instead of trying to come back to make it work in the championship.

Pity that Excelsior are also in the relegation playoffs because if they make it to the finals the second leg is June 2nd and we play Hungary June 4th. They beat ADO 2-1 in the first leg of the semis and play again tomorrow night at home in the return leg.

Not sure what involvement he might have in the squad if he's only joining up with the squad the day before we play Hungary. Might depend on who shows up or pulls out.

That shouldn't even be allowed to happen though. I'd imagine Ireland have the right to call him away from the Excelsior team before that match. It is an international window and not our problem the Dutch league can't finish up in time.

We'll probably be nice though.

Don't think there's a thing Ireland can do because the June 3rd to 11th window isn't an official UEFA window because of Euro 2024.

On the FIFA website for match calendar says this window is for all confederations except UEFA. Think before the 2022 WC that wasn't an official window either. Teams didn't have to release players to us if they didn't want. Think City only allowed Haaland play in one game that window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Once again our promising players **** off and with the state of our managerial hunt who can blame them

**** Farce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement