Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free travel card and mobile phone

Options
  • 17-05-2024 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I will be on the pension within 3 weeks time and got a letter from the DoSP confirming the award of the free travel.

I tried to make an appointment with the local branch to get the travel pass. To my astonishment the guy in charge wanted a phone number to verify me. Since I have no mobile and only the landline, I gave him the landline number. That was rejected. He would not issue me a travel pass until I give him a mobile number. So I gave him the number of a 15 year old pay as you go phone. We use it from time to time for calling a taxi when we are out and about.

Question: Since when is it necessary to have a mobile phone to get a travel pass? My wife will need a free travel pass as well a few years down the road. I guess it will be the same procedure with a different mobile number. Is every person supposed to have a mobile phone now? And who pays for the phone and fees every 28 days? Something does not sound right to me here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Two-factor authentication is pretty much the norm now. You'll need one to get a verified MyGovID as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

I was in my local SW office yesterday to make my application for my free travel pass.

The girl who was in charge for the process was very friendly. She told me that the guy to whom I have spoken about the pass does not have a clue about it. A mobile phone is not needed to get a free travel pass. You can get a free pass without a phone- no problem.

You only need a mobile phone number if you want a verified MyGovID account. But that has nothing to do with the free pass.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well presumably you can just rock up and get yourself a free travel card, there must be some form of verification involved. I can see that relying of the previous validation for the MyGovID/mobile phone would be convenient for most people. It would be interesting to know what hoops you'd have to jump through if you were unable to supply that mobile number you had etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Based on your OP, what the original person was trying to do is two factor authentication, which requires a mobile number to complete.

You didn't mention if you have a valid PSC (in date), if you have, the free travel can be applied easily, without fuss or two step authentication, you are issued an updated PSC with free Travel added with logo. If you don't have a PSC, Two step Authentication is required, in order to get a PSC.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You do not need a mobile phone to get a PSC either. A mobile phone is ONLY required if you want your number verified to use any online government services like MyGovID stuff.

You can still get a PSC without a mobile phone- but you cannot use it for online services.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/public-services-card/

Quote:

"You should also bring the letter you got confirming your appointment and, if you have one, your mobile phone"

• Advertisement

Since when is a passport with photo ID not enough to verify a person's identity? I was never asked at an airport to give a mobile phone number to do a two factor authentication either.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I fail to see how it is justified too.

I use an English SIM as the phone only comes out once a year if that. The last time was so AIB could get in touch as their mobile messaging/ security does not work.

I need to exit the house and walk down the field to get a signal, that's with any network. AIB said I needed a smartphone. £250 later I still get the same network message and AIB have closed the complaint and clammed up.

So I cannot use a debit card online and many websites will not allow the filling in of documentation without a mobile number.

No end of companies are on Facebook and I have dozens of accounts as after a couple of log ins I have to insert a mobile number, The sites are invariably poor anyway, I don't understand how anyone uses one of their pages for business.

It has to be a basic human rights issue, being old is a tad difficult sometimes, but to present obstacles needlessly is a damn joke. I hardly use the landline, so paying an extortionate monthly fee for an unacceptable service is both a waste and sending the wrong message to companies that want the cash, but fail to deliver the goods is simply wrong!

I have an absolute fortune in credit with the UK provider. At least the £250 tablet that I thought was wasted is allowing me to access the internet on the move, so AIB's incorrect instructions have had a small degree of benefit.

Apologies, I meant to say to have a verified mygov account & to use online services, but I still maintain, the first person trying to assist you, was clearly trying to set up an account.

You have not said you had an existing PSC, if you did, none of this Kerfuffle would be necessary

I did not have a PSC so far.

Neither has my wife. So I asked about her status. I was told she should make an appointment to get such a card. I asked again about the need of an additional new mobile phone since the number I supplied with the phone I brought in is now tied to a PSC card I can use for myself. I was told that my wife won't need an additional phone. She will get a PSC without one. Of course she won't be able to use it for online services.

The confusion relates to what exactly a person is requesting.

There is no need for a mobile phone to get Free travel or PSC, There is however a need for a mobile number to set up a verified Mygov or My welfare account & use online services. It's required for two step authentication, widely used by banks etc.

If the OP Had a PSC, all this Kerfuffle was completely unnecessary as free Travel is applied to an updated PSC.

• Advertisement

I requested a free travel pass via the phone last week. The person I was talking to wanted a mobile phone number from me. I refused first- and you man told me all about the MyGovID thing and the online services. I told him that I have no interest in any online services- the travel pass will do. I was told that I will get no appointment and no travel pass until I agree to the mobile phone procedure.

I made my wish very clear- and so did the person I was talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I know two step verification is needed. Probably the first bit of false information from AIB was the need for a mobile to operate my account through the internet. They blamed the EU. I contacted my MEP and the EU do not specify the use of a mobile at all, in fact my English account uses the landline for security.

It's fine saying mobiles have to be used, but not everyone has a signal, in fact quite a bit of Ireland and the UK had zero reception. On many occasions I had to drive off site to speak to the office here and in the UK.

For a national bank AIB seem farcical, they clearly state English networks are supported yet go on to blame my network provider for the problem.

They cannot use my mobile for two factor security it seems, but they can send passcodes to the same English mobile if I change any parameters on the banking site.

The farcical thing was they gave me the details of a television entertainments company as the firm that handles their security comms. When I contacted them it seems AIB switched to a different company though.

The Tablet they told me would work doesn't, not that it came as a surprise. The consolation is that the Tablet works with an EBS account which has the same business address as AIB.

You really couldn't make this lunacy up.

I smelt a rat with the first fob off, hence the request for clarification to my MEP. You see Lloyds in the UK were subject to the same rules at the time and probably still are adhering to them. I never used a personal mobile in the UK either if I could avoid it so opting for the landline was the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You will need a psc as the travel pass is integrated to it. The card will say FT to denote free travel

That is correct. But you still do not need a mobile phone number to get a PSC- see above!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So as I said the first person you spoke to was essentially trying to set up a mygovid or my welfare account, this is where all the confusion started about a need for a mobile phone number and two step authentication.

The second person you spoke to in the SW office clearly understood you were just looking for Free Travel & as you said, all that was required is a PSC if you hadn't one, or your existing one, free travel added to it.

The need for a mobile phone related to the setting up either of the online services, not as you pointed out in OP, to get Free Travel.

Glad it's resolved.

Advertisement