Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRFU Funding Model changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

The CEO said the new model is more transparent, but as always, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's wait and see

In essence, this new model is simpler, more transparent, more equitable and delivers better incentivisation and alignment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Reducing the number of Irish players in the system and sending them overseas is a positive how?

You are making one of the provinces weaker and also making the entire system weaker, including Ireland. Deegan was captain of the EI tour.

Not sure why any Irish supporter would paint this as a positive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not a positive but it's also not a negative. Max Deegan moving to England or France would have no impact whatsoever on Irish Rugby.

To suggest it makes Ireland weaker is laughably hysterical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I understand the argument that it would make one of the provinces weaker.

But with regards Ireland, you're on one thread claiming that bringing Haley (who has 1 cap ) back in would be a "huge call" while simultaneously here saying losing Deegan (who has 2 caps) would make Ireland weaker?

That doesn't seem consistent to me.

• But that’s not without a cost - the other provinces will neglect player development if they think they can just constantly fill in their squad with Leinster players, and this sort of move while making Ulster better makes Leinster worse too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It is a negative, you suddenly make one of the provinces weaker, that has a knock on affect on their ability of Leinster to play in two competition, which means less money for the IRFU if they don't make knock outs/finals and then less money for the provinces because the IRFU are making less.

The last resort for any Irish fan should be thinking its a good idea for players to have to move overseas to play rugby.

Deegan is a capped international, he is just outside the squad and a few injuries and he would come straight in, this was seen as his role as captain of the EI tour. Won a Young World Player of Year award as well which is no mean feat. Quality player

"laughably hysterical" 😓

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deramore

What is the obsession with Deegan? Of the 6 back rows that started the Ulster v Leinster game the other night he probably played the worst. And of the 6 only Conan is close to the Irish team. Who cares if he plays for Leinster or Ulster or the Free Jacks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Really? And how did your super subs manage against Ulster or in SA. Nah, us provinces are fine..

Deegan could have been a good player, but you can only get good by playing in big games, and he's reaping what he sewed there. You can also see Penny starting to hit his level too. None of those guys are good enough for the other provinces to bother with, well maybe Connacht..

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

the other provinces will neglect player development if they think they can just constantly fill in their squad with Leinster players

Possibly 1 of the most "The Sky is Falling Down" comments, I have read here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

You know who else was on the Emerging Ireland tour and was also a Young Player of the 6N Championship?

James Culhane - who now is on a senior deal, and should be stepping up to make senior minutes. Deegan's gap would be filled very quickly.

Also, it would take quite a few injuries to get Deegan into an Ireland squad - but that's by the by (seeing as Timoney, Prendergast and Coombes are all ahead of him based on international squads of the last twelve months).

If Deegan went to Ulster instead of re-signing (or abroad, a la Moloney) Leinster fans would not have seen him as a great loss. They'd 100% be ready to jump on the Culhane wagon

There is not a hope in hell of another province saying "We do not need to develop players; Leinster will keep us going" in the fashion you've just said. Zero. Fans want homegrown talent regardless.

Ulster fans would prefer to see a guy like Doak Jr breaking through than having to sign Ed Byrne. Munster would prefer O'Leary Kareem to become a star than having to rely on importing someone like Tom Farrell. Connacht fans would prefer to see a guy like Oisin McCormick own the 7 jersey rather than say Scott Penny making the move West.

Given the IRFUs heavy hand in Academies and the like - that kind of "Erahh be grand" attitude is just not going to happen.

• Advertisement

• It literally isn’t since it’s what happened here for the best part of a decade.

There’s an obvious difference between the provinces development not being good enough and the suggestion that they would actively / wilfully neglect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This part is getting overlooked:

Annual funding of approximately €40 million will be provided by the IRFU to provinces on a more transparent and equitable basis,including new incentives based on future growth of income from EPCR and URC competitions plus a new matched funding programme to help drive fundraising efforts and additional investment in the domestic game.

One interpretation here, is that they want supplementation of provincial wage bills to decouple (at least somewhat) from national selection. So for e.g., Munster went and found IQ players in Frisch and Haley, but will never see any help with their wages since neither will get a central contract. Similar outlook for homegrown players like Coombes and Hodnett. And yet, these players were key in winning the league last season.

Under the new scheme, a province might indirectly receive more supplementation of their wage bill if signing/developing players of such calibre sees them going long in tournaments, or attracting more fundraising.

Devil, as always, will be in the details, but I actually see how this can reward all provinces for signing/developing good players, while also preventing the decisions of national coaches from being the primary factor in how much benefits provinces receive from central money.

I'd actually welcome this move if I have interpreted correctly. There's a common misunderstanding that a "productive" province is simply the one with lots of players selected for the national team. But the latter is ultimately down to the decisions of a few individuals, with their own preferences and styles, and who commonly aren't in their positions long-term.

My own take is that I would guess this indirectly re-balances it back towards the 7:5 CC split we’ve had for pretty much the last number of years.

• In practical terms there really isn’t. At multiple times in the past 15 years the provinces have turned away from developing their own talent and relied on the short term fix of imported players.

Ulster started games in recent years with a pack where every player was from outside the province. A couple of seasons from 2018-20 Munster occasionally had as many as 5 NIQs in their squad (excluding project players of relatively poor quality too who weren’t likely to progress to an Irish shirt like Rhys Marshall, Matt Gallagher, Keynan Knox etc).

That’s pretty much the definition of wilfully neglecting development.

In practical terms, there’s literally every difference.

Munster’s development has improved significantly in recent years. They’re not going to suddenly turn away from that and actively neglect it like you’re suggesting.

• It absolutely has, and I’d really hope it continues, but you can’t say definitively it won’t change again. Different coaching tickets pursue different agendas, and when coaches some times get under pressure they try to go for short term solutions etc.

My point anyway wasn’t that it won’t happen again specifically in Munster’s case, only that there is absolutely a logical argument that in the past some of the Irish provinces could absolutely be accused of having neglected the development of players (it’s exactly what led to the current CC disparity).

• How about another perfect example - Connacht lose JJ Hanrahan to an ACL and the solution is to try and grab Leinster’s young high potential 10 as a short term fix, rather than making any effort at turning to their own 2 Academy out halves (2 players who’ve gotten 0 minutes from Connacht so far).

Its literally a perfect illustration of what I described.

It absolutely has, and I’d really hope it continues, but you can’t say definitively it won’t change again.

In which case you can’t say definitively it won’t change again with Leinster. Thereby, the other Provinces won’t want to fill in their squad from Leinster.

It’s just a huge leap to me that they would wilfully neglect development in the manner you’re suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It doesn't make any sense that guys develop well at leinster with older players in front of them on depth charts, but if you put a leinster guy in an ulster depth chart, that the younger guys behind them can't develop.

Its magical thinking.

• Advertisement

Another thing on this, is that you constantly hear that players get selected on how they do in champions cup late rounds.

It would really help the best young ulster players to be in the late rounds, and guys like deegan might help them do that. That might be in the irfu's interest.

• Yeah, it absolutely could happen with Leinster, I haven’t suggested otherwise.

How is it a huge leap to suggest it could happen when I’ve provided multiple very recent examples of it effectively happening?

Because, going back to the start of this…

There’s an obvious difference between the provinces development not being good enough and the suggestion that they would actively / wilfully neglect it.

Will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It does if the older players at Leinster are having their provincial minutes heavily managed because they play a lot for Ireland but the Leinster guy at Ulster (e.g. Deegan) is available nearly all the time.

That's aside from Leinster having more of a culture of success, which is a factor in what level players develop to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can't wrap my head around how this is remotely a likely scenario worth discussing

• It actually isn’t - it’s a pretty simple concept.

Leinster, far more than any other Irish province, have consistently given a high quantum of minutes to young developing players. Some of this is quasi by necessity since they’re forced to rest the internationals, but there is no disputing there has been a firm culture in Leinster for a long time of giving minutes to youth. Leinster’s track record of developing young talent is on a par with any team in world rugby arguably.

Munster have prioritised development in recent years to obvious effect, but this absolutely wasn’t always the case.

For months now we’ve heard the stories of how x player from Leinster should be moved elsewhere to make up for the other provinces’ failure to develop players to a sufficient standard.

If we get to more of a model where this sort of thinking becomes really prevalent, then it’s easy to see a scenario where other provinces always see this as the easier fix, we’re seeing it play out right now with Sam Prendergast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The decisions are approved by the union. Hard to imagine that the union does not recommend coaches.

The first one i'd agree on. Presumably though there would still be less overall talent so still time for guys to play.

The second one, well adding good players can help the amount of success you have.

• It’s already happening to a large extent - look at Connacht’s squad ffs. While they have some excellent young talented players like Matthew Devine, Hugh Gavin and Cathal Forde, they also have a squad stuffed full of Leinster produced players like Peter Dooley, Jack Aungier, Oisin Dowling, Josh Murphy, Gavin Thornbury, Sean O’Brien, Tom Daly, Tom Farrell, Andrew Smith & David Hawkshaw.

Another bunch of guys who came through the Leinster sub-academy process like Cian Prendergast, Sam Illo and Paul Boyle.

We’ve had months of speculation that Michael Milne should he moved to be Munster, Max Deegan to Ulster, Harry Byrne to Connacht, Ciaran Frawley to wherever. It’s absolutely a live concern if there’s a material shift in the IRFU policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The problem with this is a province can't outbid another province.

Advertisement