Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRFU Funding Model changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

All 4 provinces will not thrive. It's a dream. The only way they thrive is by forcing Leinster star players to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leinster give a lot of time to young players because they can win whilst doing so. They have a squad with great depth, a good few near ireland level experienced players to play with the young guys, and two schools in province pumping out almost pro ready players that account for roughly FIFTY PER CENT of your total pro players. That's like 20% a leinster rugby achievement. That's mostly just them.

Other provinces could do better, but you could put the entire leinster staff in ulster and you could give them as much time as you want, they would never play young players as much because firstly they need more development, and they would want to win games.

People have the causality of this all messed up imo.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• No, that’s a cop out.

It wasn’t just the case that there weren’t any good potential international rugby players in Munster born between 1992-1997 and that Munster’s underage coaches “weren’t good enough” and overlooked them, it was part of a cultural ideology in the club at the time where the head coaches preferred to sign experienced pros (usually from SA) to play their gameplan rather than try to develop players. All of Arno Botha, Jean Deysel, Gerbrandt Grobler, Chris Cloete, Jaco Taute, Thomas du Toit, Jed Holloway, Alby Mathewson etc are prime examples of this.

But there's an inbalance due to Leinster having better players. Why punish Leinster? We all see that Munster have CC talent coming through. Isn't this the best way to sort out the CC problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

What an utterly ridiculous comment.

Firstly, as I highlighted above, the idea that Munster purposefully decided not to develop homegrown players in order to raid Leinster players is completely silly.

Secondly, project players offer no indication of how a club wants to develop players. For example, you highlight Rhys Marshall as an example of a poor quality player who as unlikely to make it to the Irish shirt. Munster's hookers at the time (2016-17 season) included Niall Scannell (who went on to play 6 Nations that year) and Mike Sherry (who had also been internationally capped). So two international hookers produced. The two other hookers in that squad were Duncan Casey (who was always injured following the 2015 season, which cannot be helped), and Kevin O'Byrne. The Academy hooker at the time was a bloke called Vincent O'Brien who seems to have disappeared from the face of the planet - however the following year, two new hookers were added to the Academy: Eoghan Clarke and Diarmuid Barron - the latter of whom went on to play for Emerging Ireland last year and has captained Munster.

Keynan Knox was fairly experimental as a far as things go - the only other prop in the Academy at the time was Joey Conway, a good but undersized player who seems to have found his level at Bedford. Liam O'Connor had been promoted from the Academy the previous year, and was absolutely rocking the Provincial scene prior to his unfortunate run of injuries, culminating in his retirement. I've no doubt if his form remained at the level of his breakout, he'd have been in an Emerging Ireland style set up. The following year, James French and Josh Whycherly, joined the Academy - the latter of whom also toured on Emerging Ireland and is effectively Munster's second choice loosehead. The next home-produced prop after that is Donnelly, who the jury remains out on.

Matt Gallagher was a handy player who had a dislocated shoulder at an awful time. He joined in 2020. Jake Flannery was the only full back in the Academy at the time (I am uncertain if the injury ridden Jonathan Wren was also capable of playing 15). Campell joined the Academy the following Summer and was quickly promoted after Gallagher's departure.

Going through your selected range of 2018 - 2020, I have listed the NIQ players and also in brackets the young homegrown players in those positions at the same time.

2017 (doing this as well since there's no NIQs in 2020): Gerbrandt Groeblar (Fineen Whycherly in Academy at time, now has 106 Munster appearances.)

2018: Arno Botha (Gavin Coombes and Jack O'Sullivan in Academy: 96 and 37 senior caps respectively), Chris Cloete (Jack Daly in Academy: 10 senior caps to date and extended into next season despite injury woes - Hodnett joined the Academy the following year), Alby Matthewson (Craig Casey and Jack Stafford in Academy - Craig now at 80+ Munster appearances and internationally capped), Jaco Taute (Alex McHenry, Matt More (joined with Knox) not to standard.

2019: Damian De Allende (Dan Goggin: 81 Munster appearances despite being average enough), RG Snyman (Darren O'Shea somehow has 44 Munster appearances; Pa Kelly (retired due to injury), Tom Ahern and Eoin O'Connor joined the Academy that year - the middle of whom is now a mainstay and future international).

2020: No new NIQs that I can see on the Munster website - a certain Alex Kendellan added to the Academy this year.

Apart from our noted inability (rather than negligence) to produce a centre, Munster have developed players time and again from grass roots to replace these NIQs. Hardly indicative of "wilfully neglecting development" is it?

Interestingly, since this comment began about how Munster would raid Leinster players to avoid having to develop their own, here's a list of Leinster players who joined Munster in the same time frame:

2017: Jeremy Loughman (who has become an Irish international since leaving Leinster, Munster have produced Liam O'Connor (retired due to injury) and Josh Whycherly since; while our other senior looseheads at the time: James Cronin and Killer, were also homegrown prior to that).

2018: Joey Carbery (Ben Healy added to the Academy in the same year, went on to make 40+ Munster appearances and is now capped for Scotland; Jack Crowley produced after the fact - Hanrahan and Bill Johnston were our other senior outhalves at the time).

2019: Nick McCarthy (hardly a stalwart Leinster player - I don't need to rehash who Munster have produced at 9 since…)

2020: Paddy Patterson (see above), Roman Salanoa (perennially injured: Donnelly, Ryan, McSweeney all added to Academy within next 18 months - jury still out)

Hardly indicative of "wilfully neglecting development" is it?

• Advertisement

• Nah, it’s way too simplistic to simply attribute it to two schools. St Michael’s c. 15 years ago had virtually no track record of success on the field or in producing pro rugby players to any great extent.

They’ve substantially changed that - some of that is unquestionably money but it’s that all it was it would be easily fixable. The facilities are great, but schools like Glenstal, RBAI and PBC have great facilities. The coaching and culture is superb, but equally that should be replicable.

You know very little about what goes on in Michaels or Blackrock, or Leinster underage player development, but you constantly lecture us about how simple it all is and how Leinster deserve no credit (or max 20% credit 😒) for the production of international quality rugby players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

100%. I’ve made the point before; it’s not just that Leinster play young players.

It’s that the young players are good enough to play.

What the hell are Connacht supposed to do about that? They don't have the player base to change that.

You are like one of those american politicians telling people to pull themselves up by their shoelaces.

Also, Connacht gave you a nice shiny ten euro note in Henshaw (at the start of his prime on a central deal right away, so free!) and you gave them back a handful of change that you didn't even want, and you have the neck to complain about that? For the love of god.

Connacht could sign another 1000 Illos and that debt is not paid.

• But that’s directly driven by coaching and development and how much of a priority it is for the provincial coaches.

Are you seriously telling us that there just wasn’t any good young players in Munster for around a 5-7 year period?

At a certain point of development, playing time way above your level doesn't develop you. It has to be appropriate and you have to be ready.

• Advertisement

• You can mention Henshaw all you want, he’s pretty much your sole example here, whereas I could probably list out 60+ players who’ve gone the other way if I was bothered.

It’s this nonsensical defeatist attitude that you and others take, that it’s utterly implausible that other provinces could ever be expected to produce players like Leinster do.

I asked this same question earlier in the thread, but I’ll ask again here, why in your view is it inconceivable that the other provinces could produce players at even a proportionally similar quantum to Leinster?

• You’re a big believer in this theory that rugby players aren’t made, they’re just born basically.

It isn’t the case - guys like Hugo Keenan and Josh van der Flier are prime examples of really unfancied players at academy level who Leinster turned into two of the best players in world rugby.

Yea the sole incredibly valuable example, the sole already elite player for absolutely free. And in exchange a lot of players you didn't want.

I think Ulster and Munster probably should be doing a better job but there are good signs that is changing. I also think leinster had a golden generation and that is very unlikely to sustain but they are very well run. I think connacht are doing WAY better than they should be doing.

I def don't think players gojng to ulster and munster would hinder them though. Both will play young players when they are ready.

Let's play the game so:

Arno Botha: I have highlighted in depth the backrows who have been developed during and since that time frame above.

Jean Deysel: played in 6 times for Munster in 2017 on loan - which seems a bit extreme of an example for inhibiting player development. Nevertheless, Gavin Coombes was in the Academy at the time while young senior backrowers at the time included Jack O'Donoghue who had already played FIFTY TIMES for Munster, was capped twice that Summer, and has gone on to make 150 MORE appearances despite two brutal knee injuries.

Jed Holloway: played 4 times for Munster in 2019 (again, a but excessive re: inhibiting player development), I have highlighted in depth the backrows who have been developed during and since that time frame above.

Thomas Du Toit: 6 appearances between 2016 and 2017 - again; how is this impacting player development? Brian Scott in the Academy at the time, made his debut that year and played 26 games before retiring due to injury.

The rest I've dealt with above, I believe. It's also worth noting that backrow is not a position in which Munster have recently raided Leinster (unless you count Conor Oliver, a Leinster clubs player who came through the Munster Academy - and that's tenuous at best).

No doubt that Munster have added quality. Just the backrows alone, is excellent.

• I’ve acknowledged multiple times how development has improved dramatically in recent years, and all you’ve done is cite players who illustrate that point.

The last 20 cap international to have come through is still Niall Scannell (obviously guys like Crowley and Casey will get there), but there’s literally a whole missing generation of talent in the Munster squad: there are almost no homegrown players in the squad born between 1992-1997. Munster completely lost their way for at least 5 years and arguably longer on player development and that looks like wilful neglect IMO.

Connacht gave Leinster nothing! Henshaw chose Leinster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The idea that other provinces will deliberately neglect development because they can attract leinster players is still ridiculous. From the IRFU's perspective the current situation could easily be seen as not a great use of resources. It's not about punishing anyone.

• So where are all the players from that earlier cohort?

Where are the homegrown players born between 1992 and 1997, guys who should be between 27-32 now and in their absolute peak? What happened to that whole generation of players?

I’m not specifically saying each of those NIQs were blocking development, I’m saying they were illustrative of the coaching tickets attitudes at the time, it was always about reaching for short term fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

The IRFU carried out this review (after failing to meet most of their own KPIs) and then decided this is their way to improve Irish Rugby.

Let's give it a chance because we know the old way wasn't working.

• Advertisement

• I obviously don’t mean they’ll do it en masse for Christ’s sake, but it’s already the much touted solution by them whenever they have holes in their current squads.

There were months of rumours and stories this year alone about how Jack Boyle, Michael Milne, Ronan Kelleher, Max Deegan, Scott Penny, Ciaran Frawley, Sam Prendergast, Harry Byrne etc should be moved around to fill holes. If this actually happened it would materially weaken Leinster.

• The old way wasn’t working?

We just won back to back 6 Nations. We’ve been one of the best teams in world rugby for years. We go out thinking we can beat any team we play against now, and have routinely and regularly beaten the “big 3” southern hemisphere teams in the past decade or so.

Our provinces are all always competing at the very top of the URC. Munster won it last year, Leinster won 4 on the bounce from 2017-2021. We have great attendances and huge growing support for the game. We manage to keep almost all of best players here in Ireland, and on top of that have the ability to attract some of the very best players in the world to play here too like Jordie Barrett, RG Snyman, Damian de Allende, Charles Piutau etc.

To claim the old way “wasn’t working” is abject nonsense.

The following current senior players all fall within that age group: Calvin Nash, Jack O'Donoghue, Rory Scannell, Niall Scannell, Fineen Whycherly, Gavin Coombes, Liam Coombes, Shane Daly.

Departed players of that generation include: Dan Goggin, Liam O'Connor, Neil Cronin, JJ Hanrahan, Alex McHenry, Brian Scott, Sean O'Connor, Darren O'Shea, Connor Oliver, Stephen Fitzgerald, Bill Johnston, Darren Sweetnam.

What might be lacking in international quality isn't lacking in volume. I think the complete mediocrity of some of those players (McHenry, S. O'Connor, Fitzgerald, Johnston) along with some unfortunate retirements (Scott, L. O'Connor) have made the generation seem more sparse than it is. That being said, I don't think it can be said that Munster neglected this generation. Far from it.

The Academy page is interesting in this regard, as it allows you to roll back the years. There's lots of names that never amounted to anything, but I think that's more indicative of the less refined approach to Academy selection from that era. Nowadays, you nearly have to be a ready made URC player to make the provincial Academies. That wasn't the case before, so you have a lot of names which never turned out into anything. However, I'm sure you find these across all four provinces (it'd be absurd if I said for example, that the fact Mark Hernan never became a Leinster regular was indicative of developmental neglect).

• That’s not a huge return IMO for a cohort that should be the bulk of the squad, and I think the more successful examples are the guys at the back end who’ve made the breakthrough in more recent times like Nash, Coombes & Daly.

Mark Hernan incidentally was a really highly regarded open side who had to “retire” due to multiple injuries.

Its not unique to me. I'll need to find it but i heard an interview with an academy guy at another province who said that was the gap they would most like to close. As in how developed leinster players are entering the academy.

I think you are basically looking at lagging indicators. A team signing someone indicates a gap in their pathway, or a flaw in development years ago, not now. You basically have it reversed.

As long as you believe that you are improving the pathway, and you see the players at u18/u19/nts coming, then signing someone non homegrown for two years changes basically nothing. Yes, there is a limit but no one is close to that.

My bad on Hernan's front - didn't realise that was injury related. I'd have chosen a better example if I was better informed.

7 internationals is nothing to be scoffed at IMO. I'm sure if you took five (or even three) year slices you might find it is a bit more lack-luster than others, but I'm not sure I'd put that down to neglect but rather the ups and downs you get in developmental generations.

Take Leinster in 2015 for example: there's a few hits, a few average players (some of whom left for other pursuits), a few misses, and a few unfortunate injury cases. https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/2015/07/13/academy-panel-announced-for-201516/ .

But that can be caveated by the fact that all seven players promoted that year all went onto senior provincial contracts. It just depends on the year for me.

technically everyone who leaves leinster chose to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

If everyone that left Leinster stayed at Leinster they'd have a squad of *80+, could they afford that, would they all be happy to stay there?

*Could be exaggerated as I couldn't be arsed to actually research it

I mean, it would be funny to see them try at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I asked a similar question, talk to a lot of fans and look at this thread for an excellent example.

The attitude that any of the other provinces can never develop players like Leinster, as I pointed out, none of the provinces including Leinster are even close to exhausted the number of young people in their provinces or the potential players they have.

If the case was Ulster had covered all potential players across the province and then came back saying look we have done all we can and we can produce, I think then they have a case of reviewing the situation, but it isn't even close to that. Based on other thread we wil get all sort of excuses like religion etc.

Go to another province and the same

As I said in Leinster they have a huge amount of work to do, even in my area the rugby team has maybe 10% of the players the GAA has and maybe 30% of the players the soccer has at a very young age(u12). That has to grow

Instead of trying to see what to do to resolve this, all we hear day in day out is about Leinster and private schools from people who don't have one idea how the system works and never heard about it till the press got obsessed a few years ago .

Advertisement