Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint recommendations

Options
  • 22-05-2024 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm painting a new build and looking for some white paint recommendations.

After using Woodies own brand and a white paint I got from machons I am frustrated as heck as they are pure rubbish nearly €80 for 40 liters. 4 coats of white on the ceilings and it's still need more coats. The last house I done I used dulux and max 3 coats and the walls were perfect but most builders providers don't seem to carry dulux any more. Going to be buying it in screwfix since they are reasonably priced

Doesn't have to be any thing special just a matt white is all I'm looking for as a base coat and for ceilings.

https://www.screwfix.ie/c/decorating/paint/cat850142?parentcolour=white&cm_sp=managedredirect-_-decorating-_-whitepaint

Also would like suggestions for painting timber work. It's mostly MDF so shouldn't be any need to seal it. Would prefer non oil based paint as they are a nightmare to clean brushes and rollers after it.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

I used this in the past and was very happy with the results. It looks more expensive than the dulux you bought but is on sale from time to time.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/leyland-trade-contract-matt-brilliant-white-emulsion-paint-10ltr/33680

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

Thanks I'll it still cheaper than the rubbish I bought from McMahons.

Ill buy 1 x 10L to see what it's like

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I presume it's not bare plaster you're painting?

Dulux Total Cover Matt is usually my go to for covering a colour or as a base coat, 2 for €54 in Woodies atm. You can get cheaper brands obviously but you'll pay for the savings with time doing extra coats in my experience.

Yes bare plaster as it's a new build. To be more accurate plasterboard and tape and jointing.

I'm assuming this total cover is for going over other colors?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭drury..

Water down the first coat obviously on bare walls ceilings

I use DTCM in white for ceilings it's good stuff

The cheap white will break your heart .Poor finish on it too

• Advertisement

Yes have water it down as per instructions. Stuff I have used seems to be seems to be transparent whether it's watered down or not.

The stuff I got from McMahons wasn't even cheap over 30 for 10 liters. Wish I had seen it was made by Crown before buying.

Has my heart broken and hands, arms and shoulders aren't far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I'd full agree with using Dulux total cover, great paint, and at 54 for 20ltr ,its good value

As for Layland, its pure and utter rubbish,

OP, for your timberwork i'd suggest Colourtrend waterbased satin wood.

Cheap paint and crap rollers and stupid trays instead of skuttles

I learnt it as I went along same as most here id say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If you've a few mist coats on it already I'd put two coats of Dulux Total Cover undiluted over what you have now and see where you are then.

Have you a good roller sleeve? A bad one will break your heart aswell

Is this the same as the total cover paint mentioned.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dulux-white-total-cover-paint-10ltr/185hk

Yes have decent Harris rollers but going to buy this later unless someone can recommend something better.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/fortress-trade-12-pro-big-roller-set-17-pieces/521fm

• Advertisement

Thats the paint .

I wouldn't buy that kit personally. I'd buy better separates

You'll want a cutting in brush like a 3"

I bought a 4.5" Purdy cage roller there recently for narrow walls, those 4" tend to slide

A 2" roller is handy as well for timber

Id prefer work with a good quality quality 9" with a bracket one side only

It gets U in tighter to the edges and also the 12 is too big for narrow sections of wall

The pros might be alright with the 12 or get both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Just to piggy back on this thread, I'll be picking up a 10l tub of Dulux Total Cover Matt one of the evenings this week from Woodies, Blanch, D15 if anyone is around and wants to team up for the 2 tub deal for €54. They're 31 each and about €37 in other paint suppliers. Screwfix have them advertised on clearance for €17.95 but no stock in any shop so don't know why they just can't remove that. They have a few other paints with no stock anywhere.

Post edited by Dr_Colossus on

Advertisement