Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

Well what is your opinion on Baileys scratches v Alfie's fresh old hand injury. Do you agree that both could be plausible.

Im trying to point out to you that circumstantial evidence could point elsewhere. It's a case of the gardai trying to fit a square peg into a round hole isn't. If I had confidence that the investigation was conducted properly I would be happy to dismiss other suspects but I have no confidence whatsoever in the team involved given the shenanigans we know they got up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The poster that says they are Bridget posted documents here a while back with the account of how the Garda was satisfied it was an old injury.

I know people want to think there is a lot more to this case than Ian Bailey and that it being Bailey is just not juicy enough.

Its natural to sit here and wonder is there something else to it all, something the authorities didn't see but that one of us sees.

It's why true crime and unsolved cause "media" is so popular these days.

We sometimes like to see ourselves as smarter than the authorities also.

But after listening to the West Cork podcast and watching a few documentaries about this and also the real lack of any media putting forward a strong alternative I personally feel that Bailey is the best suspect for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭drury..

You're inventing other suspects again

There are no other suspects to be dismissed

• Registered Users Posts: 30,100 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That doesnt establish it as an actual fact. So you are guilty when you stated it as such of whatever you were so bothered about in your last post. S

He didnt go round with a bandage in all the time, there are no such reports. So why that day. Maybe a perfectly innocent explanation but there was clearly some recent issue.

The case has not been solved. Police forces do get the suspect wrong and miscarriages of justice occur.

The Garda investigation was botched and we have unsafe conduct with witnesses and evidence lost and logs tampered with. The integrity and competence of the investigation is very much open to question.

Something that has been pointed out to multiple times in the thread and you just ignore and treat as if it never happened.

All of that points to a higher than usual likelihood the Guards have the wrong suspect

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Witness statements from Jules and from Marie Farrell.

Baileys coat.

The wine bottle.

The Garda Jobs book was tampered with and had pages deliberately removed

The gate could not be located at the timr of the GSOC investigation.

https://www.thejournal.ie/grave-concern-over-missing-evidence-in-du-plantier-murder-investigation-4161933-Aug2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I personally feel that Bailey is the best suspect for this."

I don't think Bailey was ever a suspect in this review, at best maybe a person of interest.

I'd imagine if Jules and her family were questioned about Bailey's involvement, or Bailey himself when he was still around, the press would have been all over it. Senan Baloney is probably still parked outside the Prarie cottage waiting for something to happen. He's had a grudge against Bailey for 27 years for dissing him at the crime scene all those years ago- balanced reporting-me arse.

The media say otherwise that bailey is the focus of the review

You seem to think the gardai done a great job and Bailey is the right man.

Whats your opinion on Marie Farrells relationship with the gardai. Why did she lie? Why was she so close to them.

Why did the gardai bribe a local guy to try and get info from Bailey?

Why did they rip pages from notebooks?

Why did they not follow up certain leads?

Why did they never confirm why Marie was out that night and who was she with?

Why didn't they charge Marie Farrell for the lies she told?

Have you listened to the Bandon tapes?

Did you see Dermot Dwyer in the documentary. Do you believe he's a straight and honest guy? It's laughable if you believe he is.

You cannot honestly believe that a professional investigation was carried out by the the idiot gardai investigation team involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jesuisjuste

What about the unknown DNA sample, is that not a suspect?

• Advertisement

3 is tampering not lost, which I accept occured, no surprise to me

4 wasn't lost

1 and 2 any link to factcheck those as lost ?

Have you listened to the Bandon tapes?

What exactly is in the Bandon Tapes that is so incriminating?

It confirms what unprofessional idiots they were

Not sure what point you think you are trying to make splitting hairs about whether it was lost or destroyed or tampered with.

Its GSOC reporting these things.

The gate could not be located at the time of the GSOC investigation - chain of evidence failure.

It all speaks to the investigation being of dubious integrity and competence which was the original point made. Are you going to claim otherwise and if so what is the basis for your claim?

According to gsoc, sounds about right

"there was evidence of a lack of administration and management of aspects of the investigation into the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier"

I'm no defender of the the gardai here

In what way.

What was said ?

From what I believe there was no great revelations in them.

But if there was please elaborate on them.

Don't be expecting too many'facts' if the rest of his postings are a guide

The main point I got was their relationship with Marie Farrell was extremely friendly and their chat was unprofessional. It implies that they could have coerced Marie into lying as a witness. It was almost like Marie was one of them. There is no doubt that their relationship with Marie was improper and went way beyond boundaries. Hopefully Marie tells the truth some day.

I take it you've read the transcript of the tapes Fr Tod?

Read the article above re gsoc

Its not news that the eyewitness testimony is dodgy and there was Garda shenanigans

I disregard Marie Farrell completely

• Advertisement

Right given you said the above…. some basic questions for you to answer

Do you believe the gardai done a good job investigating all aspects of the murder?

Do you understand and accept that their investigation may have been biased?

Do you have faith that they investigated all other suspects completely and correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Evergreen_7

exactly.
    I’ve pretty much given up on this thread as it’s full of baileyites, keep talking sense please.

If it quacks like a duck folks.

Probably not

Possibly yes

Possibly not

My belief that bailey is the likely killer is not based entirely on any unshakeable belief in the gardai, far from it.

1. I believe the theory of an amarous/infatuated/drunk whatever late nite caller is likely correct.

2. I believe Bailey is probably that man

3. Do I believe bailey when he said he only ever saw Sophie from a distance, no, that smells of BS and a number of persons contradict that.

4. Do I believe he lied about his alibi , yes

5. Is he suspicious as hell , yes

6 Did he turn up at sophies door that nite , i think he did

7 Is the above proof he killed her ,no, well below the standard of proof

1. Do any of us know AN other person other than Bailey killed Sophie .

No

2. Do any of us know Bailey killed Sophie .

No

Unlike many here in denial re point ,1, who think they know bailey didn't kill her

I am not in denial about 1 or 2, there's no proof either way

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't believe that anyone has dismissed Bailey as a potential killer. What people have been saying is that there is no evidence against him despite the crap the media have been fed by AGS, which, given what was given to both the DPP and the French investigation, is absolutely worthless , despite having spent decades trying all they could to pin this on him.

Im not going over all the old ground re evidence

I'll put it this way

Very unlucky for a man with 0 evidence against him to be convicted of murder in a french court

" given what was given to both the DPP and the French investigation,"

The Gardaí gave the French investigatation team their original files , which included Marie Farrell's statement about seeing Bailey at Kealfada Bridge, which was read into evidence at the French trial. Marie Farrell had retracted that statement by the time of the trial, so it should never have been part of the evidence in the first place.

Malachi Reid chose not to go to France, but his mother Amanda went along for the ride and believe it or not, was allowed to give his statement, which was read into evidence without being challenged. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jesuisjuste

I think we can all agree on your two points above. The only difference between you @drury.. , @Fr Tod Umptious etc. and the rest of the people on here is that you guys are happy with the status quo, happy to draw a line in the sand for whatever reasons….

Most of the rest of the people on here believe there is likely further information available, as well as further opportunity for testing of samples (no brainer imo), which may open up a new line of enquiry, or enhance an old one. Many loose ends have been left open. This would also include potentially further evidence proving Bailey's guilt by the way.

By definition, if the cold case team are open minded and continue to investigate open lines of enquiry (in particular the unknown DNA), re-interview witnesses etc. then further evidence can be found against the killer, Bailey or not.

To put it another way, some people on here want to find proof of the killer's guilt, and some people don't….

You do grasp the idea that investigators will likely wish to "focus" at some stage in a review or investigation

If they didn't start with an open-mind, I would see that as a flawed review

I also have an open-mind as I view bailey as merely the "likely killer" based on what we know

I believe there's the possibility of a different scenario having occurred not involving bailey

• Advertisement

Stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm not happy with the status quo, I'd much prefer that the case get solved.

But I am happy in my opinion that Bailey is the prime suspect and I am happy to acknowledge that there has never been enough evidence against him to bring a charge, and also that the French trial was sham.

I also believe that just because the Garda investigation was a mess it doesn't automatically mean that Baily can't be the killer.

Advertisement