Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, MotorCheck identifies it as a Volkswagen Golf E1F 5DR 85 Auto, 2017.

That's the 85kW motor which was replaced by the 100kW motor in the 2017 model.

Edit: The seller has allowed the ad to be populated by the later model's specs. Sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It’s possible the seller is a victim of DD automated model spec listing. It seems to be a common complaint. That said, the seller could have easily listed the battery size within the text description if they wanted to be transparent….

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good searching lads! Thanks for confirming it's the smaller battery.

Even with the smaller battery it would make a nice second family car / commuting car

If you could get it nearer €9k than €10k it would be a total bargain for a car like that for the year. Had a look earlier and the cheapest Ioniqs (also 2017) are now back up to €12k-13k asking on DoneDeal.

They actually listed it as a Golf, not an e-Golf, but somehow managed to find the spec for a later model than theirs. Possibly an error, but you'd think they'd check and correct it as you say.

• so now you expect €2k /20% off the asking price of the already cheapest version of that car for sale. Sometimes I wonder what planet you are on with your wild posts

• Advertisement

Perhaps you don't try or do not have the negotiation skills it takes to get good deals. Or the timing or the readiness to jump on a deal. I can assure you I often get deals much better than 20% off what is already the cheapest asking price of an item. But you are free to not believe me of course.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭User1998

Me too, I’ve definitely gotten 33%+ off on a few occasions. I do think tho that in this case a big discount might be harder to achieve because it seems to be a part time trader who is selling it so they will want to maximise profit. And they’ve already taken €1k off the asking price. Always worth a try tho.

• of course it’s possible to get a healthy discount on SOME sales. The biggest factor is the sellers circumstances. A part time trader selling a car for an already competitive price and haven already knocked €1k off the asking is not going to knock another €2k off it like you claim. Thats dream land stuff.

Look we know you got a few nice deals over the years (we all know because you tell us about every one of them at least once a week) but it’s hot air for you to keep claiming that every car for sale on the internet has an automatic 20% wiggle room, it’s your standard to reply to every ad that is posted on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Let's not over-egg the "negotiation skills" aspect either. A lot of it is down to simply taking advantage of a seller's situation and/or being a bully.

Being a bully? I assure you I am always very friendly and polite. There is no gun against the seller's head, the deal is 100% voluntary on both sides. Of course in many of the best deals, the seller really wants or needs the money, so makes a large concession on price. Taking advantage? LOL. Welcome to the real world.

I agree though with the above posters that massive discounts resulting in an agreed price clearly way below market value are pretty much impossible from dealers or garages and very unlikely from part time traders. I also never said I would be able to get that car for €9k or €10k. Or would even expect to get it. Re-read my posts. But I would most certainly try it

You gotta be realistic as a seller sometimes. The cash in front of you can sometimes be likely the best you would get for some time. I recently sold an item on adverts for about 70% under my asking price, which I had dropped already and even before I did that, it was already cheaper than you could get the item on eBay anywhere in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Ffs, it really is incredible how people on here twist words and the intent behind those words to have dig. It was very clear from what you were saying what you meant. Ignore it.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭pah

Does the 85kw and 100kw not refer to the motor i.e. the power or does the larger kw motor imply a larger battery also?

As a side note EV terms can be confusing and I rarely see it mentioned as part of the issue with EV sales

batteries given in KWh or Ah for i3's, power given in Kw or BHP and donedeal descriptions listing things wrong at least half the time.

Yes, it's the power of the motor, but doesn't necessarily mean that the battery has greater storage with the more powerful motor.

In the case of the e-Golf, it does, but it doesn't necessarily need to. One's a measure of storage, the other is a measure of power output. If the motor's power output goes up though, the battery will deplete faster, so usually the storage goes up too.

Power output used always be measured in bhp (brake horsepower) but it's now tending to be stated in kW (kilowatts).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭djan

I don't see where any confusion comes in with EV terms? For battery capacity, kWh is the standard really bar the one time BMW went a bit wild with i3. When it comes to power, kW and BHP(PS) is akin to miles and km. As is custom in continental Europe and is actually within EU legislation, the standard unit for engine performance is kW with BHP only being allowed as an additional descriptor.

Main confusion definitely arises from the drastic changes in range depending on driving style and external conditions due to the extremely high efficiency of electric motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just as a rule of thumb your conversion rate is about 1bhp = 0.75kW or 1kW = 1.35bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 21 natexornate

Interestingly, this car is back up for sale from its new owner for 50 euro less than last time, asking 11,450:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-40kw-cold-pack/37053145

At least this time the damage on the front bumper is clearly shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

That was reduced to 10k before being marked as sold too.

☀️

That's a good point, thanks. Didn't remember that when posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Luna84

NCT due too soon. Well withing the 90 days prior to due date to get it done so new owner does not have to worry about it and make the vehicle easier to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Some sort of wannabe dealer? Trying to flip it for a profit?

• Advertisement

I messaged him and he said it was going to be 6k for a charger install in his house (old, consumer unit upgrade, etc…). 3-pin charger too slow and too much hassle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You cannot check and correct it. It’s populated by DD directly.

I know. The model details are populated by DD, but you pick the model.

Edit: You can also add detail in the description or the headline

Makes no difference. I Selected the performance model for a car a few weeks back and it still populated it with the SR+ details.

Doesn't stop you adding it to the description though.

Agree. But that’s not my point. I was correcting the post that stated it could be checked and edited in the pre-populated fields.

Well maybe you should have checked the post I replied to which mentioned adding the info to the description, not the pre-populated fields. Which I directly referred to: "correct it as you say".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

I have my 2017 Ioniq available. Have a new 232 one in the drive. Just replaced all TPMS sensors. Did 2 abs sensors in rear. Replaced the gear oil with Liqui Moly 70/75. New Michelin tyres. Showing 240km range atm. Quick sale required as 3 cars in drive. 11k special offer for Boards.ie

Post edited by snowcat on

Well you Can’t edit the pre populated fields. Even when you select the correct spec as you put it.

Your comment

“Edit: The seller has allowed the ad to be populated by the later model's specs. Sneaky.”

Seller has no input to the population of the data.

• Advertisement

So having been proven wrong in the post you said you were correcting, you've now moved on to another post because you're not man enough to admit your error.

Good to know.

Advertisement