Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Europa League

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I thought it was a terrific strike on first look, but after replays I think the keeper should have done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yes.

Alonso's unlikely fairytale of perfection is over.

Incredible run, and no shame in losing to this Atalanta performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Leverkusen won't be getting out of this hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

They looked very ordinary in the second leg against Weat Ham, which was the only time I'd watched them for a full 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Leverkusen never turned up but their defence froze big style for all three goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Leverkusen look like pushing so hard all season has really caught up to them at the end. 2nd to everything. Just nowhere near the energy of Atalanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think an unbeaten league season is hype tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Alonso has got it all wrong tonight but don't let that take away from this Atalanta performce. Ederson in CM has been unreal!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think Leverkusen putting so much energy into going unbeaten has made them take their eye off the actual winning of things. They had he league wrapped up and could coast for weeks but never let up. Nearly cost hem v Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This Gasperini style is Bielsa's Leeds on drugs. Leverkusen cannot figure it out at all. Much like Liverpool couldn't.

They deserved so much more than Liverpool's B-side in that first leg alright - in hindsight, nothing but the full first team would've been enough in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Ederson could be a serious addition for Brazil in the Copa America

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Atalanta bossing it, Leverkusen looking spooked and lethargic, disappointed with their lack of intensity.

Looks like a pen for Leverkusen, could be a lifeline. Surely too little too late though.

<edit> Not given… wha? The lad gets funted between his legs. Is it for Schick being potentially offside, despite him never getting near playing the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I have to say I heard lots about how good Leverkusen were...don't watch much Bundesliga...but on tonight's performance Liverpool dodged a bullet with Alonso...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Unbeaten all season and they dodged a bullet because of 1 match you watched.

Klopp lost a few finals too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

First trophy since 1963, delighted for Atalanta congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Final Result
    Atalanta (ITA) 3 V 0 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)

2023-24 Winners
    Atalanta (ITA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Atalanta just bullied Bayer, they just couldnt handle the physicality.

You look at those Bayer attackers, none of them could hold up the ball and just bullied off the ball. Atalanta defenders didnt even break a sweat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tough one for Leverkusen, should pick up a gong Saturday in the German cup final (my favourite looking trophy fwiw)

Atalanta incredible tonight, well worthy winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Has been linked with a move this summer. Certainly utd for the past few months.

There's a lot of clubs could do with a DM like him… Bayern, Man Utd, and Liverpool for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Manager brings on Toloi in injury time! Christ almighty!!

Fully deserved win by Atalanta. Very soft refereeing helped them. 2 of the 3 Leverkusen bookings were for dissent because the ref let all the bad fouls go. Booking Zappacosta on 60 and Koopmeiners on 70 was too little, too late. However, only one team tested the other keeper, and Lookman could have had a 4th had he been played in after another excellent run.

There won't be a grape picked in Bergamo for a fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Unfortunate for Bayer but can't be anything other than happy for Atalanta. Particularly after losing a cup final last week.

The work they've done and the team they've turned into in recent years is underestimated. Should have won 2 Seria A titles in recent years, going through phases and runs off battering anyone in their way

It could be argued at one point in time not so long ago, they became one of the best teams in the world, was it against PSG in the Champions League one year they got robbed? Probably would of won it only for that.

They've regressed a little in the last 2 years or so, but still punching way above where they were for most of their history. Very well deserved. A great team and great to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Leverkusen just not in it tonight at all. Tired? Perhaps, but it was clear fairly early they needed an outlet up top and Alonso didn't make the subs early enough.

But delighted for Atalanta. They have been great to watch for quite a few seasons and deserved something in return. The old timer outfoxed the new hot property manager.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2019-20 is he only season they were remotely close to a title, finishing 3rd and 5 points back. It was one in which the top 4 finished within 5 of each other

Other than that they have not been remotely close to challenging for a league really, typically finishing 15-20 points back.

But they are a super team to watch.

PSG but them with a 97th minute goal in the COVID one legged one in 2020. Would've been a better final

I think they had two seasons in the league though where they started slow and fell behind, but put big runs together, that if they had started quicker were the strongest in the league once they got going.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure they strung two huge runs together in two separate seasons, literally pounding teams by often 5 goals, but slows starts killed them.

Must be the 19-20 season I'm really thinking off. Would I be right in saying they started slow but ate the ground up but just left it too late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,479 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just back from the match. No denying Atalanta, by far the better team, Leverkusen seemed very passive

Kudos to both sets of fans though, cracking atmosphere. Even after full time the Leverkusen fans were in fine voice, have to admire it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That didn't take long. Twitter slagging off the Aviva Stadium, saying how bizarre it looks. One end looks like a training ground they said. I kind of agree with them. They should have made it uniform on all four sides. Only in Dublin do they half do things. Same with Croker too.

They couldn't make it the same on all sides and it's the same with Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Don’t mind Twitter. Two fantastic locations for fans within walking distance of city centre with plenty of bars around. Far superior to some fancy new place in the middle of nowhere. The benefit should always be for those who go to matches rather than the selfie brigade and moaners on social media.

Social media rant over..I’ll ask the question I came here for 😊

With Atalanta winning last night and looking good for top five in Serie A is there now a spare Champions’ League spot and if so where does it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Great fun yesterday in Dublin, there was a fantastic atmosphere in the stadium from well over an hour and a half before kick-off. We were in amongst the Atalanta fans and they were brilliant. The Leverkusen end looked very impressive also and stayed until after the trophy presentation to their credit.

On the pitch Atalanta were super and fully deserving of their 3-0 win. Lookman was brilliant and his hattrick is the first in a UEFA club final since the 70s I think, his 2nd goal was the pick of the goals just fantastically placed into the bottom corner. Koopmeiners and Ederson were brilliant in midfield and put some much pressure on the Leverkusen midfield that it collapsed essentially. Delighted for them to get the trophy their efforts have deserved in the last few years.

I'd think Alonso set up his team to match Atalanta somewhat and it quite simply didn't work. Boniface not starting really hampered them as you could see that Leverkusen improved somewhat in the 2nd half when he came on as they had someone up front to hold up the ball. Disappointing night for them but they've had a great history making season and will hopefully complete the double on Saturday.

Very jealous. I applied for a ticket before the semifinals but was unsuccessful.

Yeah I was unsuccessful in the ballot too but I got mine from the Atalanta allocation tickets on their website. They had a free sale a few days after they sold to their season ticket holders and members. They only put it up on the Italian language version of their website,so Google translate had to do some work. I'm fairly sure they didn't sell out their allocation, certainly looked a smaller section than the Leverkusen fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Great to hear it went so smoothly.

I know loads that were able to get tickets online last week. Must have been plenty returns after the English clubs exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,479 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I heard they only sold 8k of their 13k. Online suggestions were that flight and hotel prices stopped people, which is very sad if true

Only picked up tickets myself last week, just through the UEFA website. Delighted I did, really enjoyed the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Excellent event last night. Got a taxi over to Ryans Beggars Bush at about 4.30 and there was virtually no traffic along the way, Ryans was surprisingly quiet at this stage but did start to fill up around 5.30, mainly Irish people though as I'm assuming most of the club fans were in the fan zones. Didn't have to queue at all to enter the ground, for toilets or for food/drink in the ground before the game started. Cracking atmosphere in the stadium and both fans were a credit to themselves, the Atalanta fans had one chant in particular which was probably the loudest noise I've ever heard in the Aviva. Getting out of the stadium afterwards was a breeze too although I didn't hang around for the trophy presentation as I was unsure how hard it would be to get home. Huge credit to all involved in organising it, from my own experience it was a flawless event in terms of organisation. Only slight disappointment for me on a personal level was not getting to see many of the fans from either club up close in the build up.

The game itself was a good one too, Atalanta full credit for their 3-0 win and were brilliant in how they pressed and didn't allow Leverkusen to build up at all. Very similar to how they played against Liverpool in the first leg.

I'm a regular at LOI and Ireland games but it was great to be able to attend a football match like that in your own city, will definitely be trying to get my hands on tickets for as many games as I can at Euro 2028 regardless of who is playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought Alonso didn't cover himself in glory yesterday.

It was obvious fairly early they were being outplayed, and he didn't make any changes soon enough to stop the rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah, there’s a few different permutations that can happen in the last game week for that to happen.

Advertisement