Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Who has dispatched the force out to Ballyogan in such numbers.

I must say the determination of the Government to plough on with an unpopular policy stoking tensions in communities with no consultation is a very very dangerous tactic from them. They will really awaken a sleeping bear if they push it too far.

There are a lot of good people in the Guards but it's also a magnet for a lot of power tripping oafs with little between the ears. That Guard was utterly stupid not to realise he was probably being filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

The so called right wing vote will get at least 4 of the European seats . That's 25;percent of the vote , I would call that a major shift of opinion in the country. None of them would of had a chance if getting elected in the last election. Your kidding yourself if you think that's not a kick up the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Indeed, will happen imo, Gov have ignored the people far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's okay - All will be explained tomorrow night on RTE's Prime Time when they delve into the incident and report on just how this Govt took their lead from the Hong Kong protesters suppression four years ago

RTE are renowned for their tenacity in holding this government to account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

ain't that the truth, and you and I need to jump through hoops to widen a driveway or convert the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

its coming directly from O'Gorman, these centres must go ahead and any protests pushed aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

put it this way,if I were a guard and was ordered to do that kind of crap against Irish

People,I would be tendering my resignation toot sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I can honestly see the whole country kicking off at this. It's a deeply unpopular shady tactic.

TBH I think the Guards will down tools at some point and stop doing this. They are doing it for a Goverment who have treated them like shite.

A penny for the real thoughts of the Guards there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

They want to put tents up in Thornton Hall that they bought for €50 million to build a now jail as there not enough space and still people with 100 plus convictions going free as prisons are full.

And is now it s worth a fraction it what they paid. Now value less than 3 million.

Let criminals out to save money but house people from abroad.

They really think we have endless money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Countries fuct and a government isn't listening to its people.

Mass marches on the Dail is the only way forward. Or go full European and dump lorry loads of shyte on the government doorstep. Bring Dublin to an absolute stand still.

Shame the cnuts into listening to its people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Sad to see a garda assaulting an old man in this country, i thought we were better than that,I hope Gsoc investigate the incident.AGS will be rapidly losing public support if they continue with his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Which four 'right wing' candidates are you expecting to be MEPs? And even if four were elected, it would hardly be some political earthquake or revolution - Europe has always seen a fair number of oddballs and dissidents get elected (Flanagan, Daly, Wallace etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They tell people how to behave in Norway. They send male and female Muslims to education classes where they're thought how to respect women. There's a reason they had to resort to this in one of the world's most liberal countries. We'll find out the hard way.

Another march come bank holiday I reckon. Need big numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Have you not spent the last few days saying you didn't anticipate the Ukrainian war lasting more than six months ? Why didn't you?

But here you are making more predictions.

Imagine needing classes to teach them how to respect women? What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

Various parts of the country are heating up ,and I'm not talking about the weather, the government are now invisible in this I.e we invited a spokesperson on but no one was available, Agree with the poster about the guards ,I'm sure their well pissed off as well.

I said 'most people' didn't anticipate a Russo-Ukrainian war that would last 3-4 years or longer. Wars that are stalemates and with a battle front that hardly moves for years are usually very hard to predict in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Well you always agree with what you say is 'most people'. And it's less than two and a half years so are you going for a prediction of 3 or 4 now?

Plus a government should plan better than what 'most people' think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Agree with the posters here… Usually during the summer there’s a big mass brawl of some type somewhere when you have the combination of drink & sun, and boredom of youths not being in school/college… Now with these added frustrations, I really can see it all kicking off somewhere some night during the summer

• Advertisement

Never mind what I'm predicting - I keep seeing predictions about how some sort of 'political earthquake' involving anti-immigration candidates is going to happen in the Irish European and local elections in June. I've seen this stated repeatedly here with the greatest of confidence for the last few months (this despite the fact that there is no sign in polls that the mainstream parties in the Dáil are losing support….the only one that appears to have gone into something of a slump is Sinn Fein).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

No everyone can go to a march but they have a vote.

Look at the last referendum where the government and opposition were so sure of themselves and then did a uturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm wondering this too. The only seriously right-wing contender likely to take a seat that I can see is Boylan. Two others who have made critical noises about immigration policy - Mcnamara and Toibin - have a very good and decent chance respectively, but neither would describe themselves as right wing, and I dount either goes near far enough for the blowhards on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

You're bordering on contempt, it has been explained to you countless times but I shall use your own words as vector

"just because Irish migrants aren't asylum seekers or illegal migrants"

Conflating theses separate categories as one is conflating consensual with non-consensual

Any effect that holds plurality between the categories is irrelevant only the non-consensual nature and its effects

There are specific guidelines in relation to this, I shall not quote from Irish case law as that would be disrespectful but include a citation that is in the public domain

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4n1l3n8zg1o

Post edited by whatever. on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Many of the women in the documentary said they'd never be able to live freely and equally because they've known the opposite since a child. But they said they'd at least try and steer their daughters down the right path. It definitely helps.

Been to a few beaches recently and there's a lot of Somalians. The dad and son's go in for a swim but the daughters and wife(s) are completely covered and at best get to dip their ankles in. Disgusting culture and shouldn't be encouraged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

I am not specifically Mr Oaf but would like to point out that

Right / Left are economic positions, by definition right wing is pro (open, low or no regulation →immigration and left wing is the opposite

Authoritarian / Libertarian are social positions

The politicians making statements lack the intellect to understand the difference, it does a disservice to us all

Those critical of the current policy would be correctly described socially and economically as the centre ground

Those supporting the current 'policy' would be correctly described as right wing neo-liberals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

McNamara, Tobin, mullooly,boylan all have a major chance. I reckon a load running on anti immigration platform will get elected in the local elections also. Let's just see but if 25 percent of the population is voting that way that is a seismic shift no matter what way you dress it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's sad to be waking up to further reports of this kind of aggression.

The Gardai have a lot to be putting up with.

Fair play to them for the restraint shown with that abuse hurled at them, all with numerous 'citizen journalists' holding phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Looks very much like there'll be no deportations to Rwanda after all.

It seems to be dependent now on a Tory election win, which seems highly unlikely.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/rishi-sunak-admits-no-rwanda-071643958.html

Advertisement