Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rjoe90

Quinlivan and competent isn’t something I expected to see together..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 piberry

The odds in Boylesports seem to be the only available poll, though RTE can hardly use that.

Whatever the deposit was for candidates, it seems like it could have been higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Its quite a crowded field and difficult to get a real debate. It might have been an idea to have some sort of initial run off to narrow the field of candidates.

3-4 strong candidates from whatever party or independent and give them all the space to get their plans across.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Policies aside he knows how to talk and debate and knew the subject. Many of them were just waffling in comparison, Butler too aggressive and Leddin who I would be quite on the side of politically looked like a fella just rehearsing lines for the general election and had no interest.

Sheehan's performance was the first time in a long time that I have seen a bit of balls from Labour. No hope of winning but he stole the 2nd debate. Leddin was talking about unicorns & fairy dust stuff like the train to Shannon while Sheehan was bringing up actual achievable stuff like more frequency to Castleconnell/Nenagh or how park & ride is a quick easy win.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

wasted another 30 minutes of my life .

Butler is the man for me. I can sense the love he has for the city, He has the cut of a fella that would hide out in Costelloes so he has my vote on that alone. With 2 kids , he has skin in the game. Apart from Dee with 4 kids, the others are well past it and you'd wonder what is really motivating them.

Brian Leddin has decorum but that's it. Contrary to what he says he has delivered nawthin on the double. The Foynes freight line has been in planning since 2013 when Europeans biggest zinc deposit was discovered in Pallasgreen by Glencore. It has nothing to do with the Irish Government policy. Wont happen, cant happen.

Dee Ryan would find it difficult with proceedings in council and things could turn nasty very quickly. They don't like business people in city hall. Look at the evidence all around, things are unlikely to change.

Conor Sheehan sounds like a loose canon. You can't come to a public debate on your candidacy for mayor and say thing like civil servants are 'control freaks' freaks might be insulted. He also said he'd put a 'boot in the backside' of civil servants. He can put whatever he wants in there but it won't work without vaseline.

What is a city , but the people.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

On Frankie, he is a grand Local Councilor, but mayor please no

He has not been seen in his electrocal area for a few years and put together a leaflet that a TY student would be chastised for.

This from someone who has previously voted for Frankie.

Odd on Oddschecker

Moran 5/6, Helen O'D 2/1 Frankie 3/1

Dee Ryan 4/1 Maurice 4/1 Butler 10/1 Leddin & Sheehan 66/1

Sheehan in my opinion is raising his visibility ahead of the next general election.

I think it would be a real shame if Ryan or Butler get it just because of the party that put them forward. Butler in particular seems to have no real vision and it will be the same old uninspiring circle of already tried "solutions" that don't actually fix the retail or traffic problems.

Same for O'Donnell. Just fantasy stuff you see on the likes of Limerick City Citizens about bringing "big shops" back to the city centre (mostly by driving but also magically not becoming traffic)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I felt D Butler was saying what he thought people wanted to hear. A lot of sound bites.

Too many of them throwing out negative stereotypes and stories that they clearly heard online or through gossip that they actually knew nothing about.

Like O'Donnell and her 2 boarded up houses in Moyross. They are actually now getting around house by house and sorting them.

Or the An Rabharta Glas candidate wanting to "revisit" Busconnects and trying to claim the train to Dublin is very infrequent and on a crappy commuter train. Sounded more like someone who has heard about buses and trains from people who haven't used them in years rather than someone who has actually experienced them.

And of course someone (Leddin) had to sell that mind numbing bar stool expert fantasy of a train to Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Yes he essentially promised everything to everyone during his opening pitch which lost him credibility immediately. I've noticed that he's started referencing "rural housing" a lot recently also. By that he clearly means one-off dwellings in an isolated field far from local services which is entirely at odds with the National Planning Framework. Obviously he believes this will be a vote winner with rural dwellers.

I thought Moran, Leddin and Sheehan cames across as the most coherent and convincing on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

I didn't think I'd have to fill out my voting card all the way down to 15 but after listening to Daniel Butler last evening I feel obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 whatdastory

Very interesting interview here with the last candidate to throw their hat in the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

I said I'd stay out of this thread, but this Moran stuff is ridiculous. His CV is filled with jobs he's left before his term was up or messed up. Anyone who has read the Phoenix piece and still thinks he has Limerick's best interest at heart is as delusional as he is.

I laughed so hard when he said he was going to solve the housing crisis in five years. This coming from the guy who brought vulture funds into the country, one of the reasons we have a housing crisis in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I had to laugh when my brothers MIL was talking about some thing she was going to for John Moran a few weeks ago. Said something like he's made his money outside of politics so you know he's not doing this just for the money. Had to laugh really. Pigs will fly before a lobbyist gets involved with something without the intentions of making money off it.

He has his finger on the pulse. Considering the off the shelf sleeveeen gombeens spinnning the same dreams for us , maybe it's time to cope on and listen to reason. I doubt anyone will and nothing will have changed in another 5 years and Bran Ledin will stillbe talking about a train to Shannon when he's in his lonely sixties . Id sooner vote for a true gael than a man that invited in the vulture funds that conditioned the Irish Government never to get involved in house building again. With the unbelieveable surpluses in finances , is it any wonder that people are scratching their heads cinfused, but we can thank Michel Hunans little Irsiih francophile from athe

• Registered Users Posts: 14 whatdastory

Do you not think it's interesting ? I think his focus on transparency is very refreshing and something no other candidate has taken. I also like his approach with politics needing to be "inside out" and media "back to front" - buy hey, that's just my opinion

Bringing in the vulture funds was bad enough but the nasty terms were set by peter pan, He advised / forced/ threatened the Irish Government , at the behest of the banks, to massively limit spending on water and wastewater Infrastructure . He advised and encouraged centralisation of water services in 2011/2012 prior to leaving the department of finance. The Northern Distributor cant go ahead because of a deal he weaseled for the Tunnel Company i.e No other crossing /bridge of the Shannon can be made until the tunnel and motorway bill is paid off entirely.

I just find it odd for someone to post something and say nothing about other than "interesting"

It usually points to the subject being some ranter, looper or conspiracy nut on this thread and I don't want to waste my life listening to podcasts to find out.

So some opinion on why he is interesting is helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

That's his most recent tweet 😂

Would love to know what his views on pedophilia have to do with being mayor of Limerick but not clicking onto that YouTube channel because I'd say there's some truth in your second sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Had a look there in a private tab. Simplistic, faux philosophical nonsense. Jordon Peterson style waffle.

His video confirming his candidacy from 8 days ago had 77 views. I doubt the other candidates will be losing much sleep over him.

In the debate he tried putting himself in the same circle as Jim Kemmy! Kemmy was probably turning in his grave at that ultra capitalist mentioning his name. He went on about securing funding for Georgian revitalisation, but who is it who is benefiting from that? None other than Moran himself. I reckon he steals toilet paper from public toilets to get out of paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lord Baron Lane 8

Directly Elected Mayor of Limerick City is Money for Jam .

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

I still can't fully fathom why Maurice Quinlivan is going for this - either SF thought he would be a shoe-in , and the by-election it triggered ( depending on General Election timing) would be a further SF win if he won the mayor role.

Nor sure there is a readymade high quality SF general election candidate after him - Gavan possibly , but not on the same level.

On the other sitting TD, I reckon Leddin knows he's goosed next election so this was a way out for him. But he won't win the mayor either, ( nor was he likely to) .

So odd for both TD's in one sense, other than as 'visibility' campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Leddin genuinely thinks he can win the DEM election, he also believes his views/ideas on Limerick are what will win him the election.

His problem, IMHO, is that other candidates have similar ideas as his (so that vote is diluted) and that he is a Green TD who rightly or wrongly are linked with all that is bad with the current government.

He (and fair play to him for sticking to his principles) gets the backs up of motorists, farmers, SMEs and the homeless (including those living at home)

I think he'll be below 3rd place in the first count, be interesting to see what transfers he picks up

I didn't get the impression he was too worried about winning on Tuesday.

I think he just saw it as some free pre election canvassing and a way to get his train plan into the conversation. I hope it works to an extent because I do think we should get an Adare/Well/Raheen I.E. train and more regular buses to the county but overall other candidates had green transport policy that was far more achievable.

O'Donnell came across as the most realistic of them all to me, wasn't pie in the sky ideas but getting the basics right. I liked that. We can have all the shiny new objects but if the basics aren't right then that will crumble. 8 million a year doesn't go very far for an entire county. So making the villages, towns and cities just nicer places to be is a win in my books.

How is she going to get people into the city in terms of transport/traffic ?

Where and how is she getting all the big retailers out of the retail parks and back into town ?

How is she going to get the street sweepers to fit around all the poles and into all the corners ?

She says the city isn't busy but yet the paths are filthy. Is it the footprints to ghosts are dirtying the streets ?

She is playing up to the stereotypes of the city created by people who never do and never will go to the city.

• Advertisement

I'd say those are questions you should ask her to be honest and not a randomer on the internet.

The one thing that she would know about better than any of the other candidates though is the cleanliness of Limerick, she did co-found Team Limerick Clean-up and is out every week with Tidy Towns. If the place was clean, then there would be no need for Tidy Towns groups anywhere in the county. Limerick isn't clean, it's not a stereotype, just a fact. If you think it's I wouldn't like to see the state of your house.

Advertisement