Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Still here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its like an Eskimo boasting about buying a fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sorry, I was being referred to, so I thought a reply was in order. I thought I could exit stage left and people would let me go, but as you have evidenced this does not happen readily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you have only used 100 euro of fuel I'm struggling to think when you would have needed to use public charging

maybe so but thay doesn't refute the point I made, in Joe publics mind a car with 200,000 miles or more is basically worthless, ice fud if you will

• Advertisement

Two trips iirc, one to Dublin, one to west Clare for a long weekend. Maybe it was up to €150, I don’t recall that precisely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

250 for two trips, you could have taken a taxi for less 🤣(may not be true)

taxi from portlaoise to cork one way is €250 8 years ago. I paid it once when a wheel bearing failed in my w203 at 2am.

not completely sure why I would take a taxi rather than put petrol in a car though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Pedestrians twice as likely to be hit by electric or hybrid cars, research suggests
    Quieter, heavier vehicles could pose a deadlier threat on impact than petrol or diesel ones, Irish medics say………

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2024/05/22/pedestrians-may-be-twice-as-likely-to-be-hit-by-electric-or-hybrid-cars-research-suggests/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pedestrians not looking left and right before stepping onto the road more likely…….

I don’t think the fuel source matters…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I would suspect the danger would be on country roads with no footpaths. All you've really got to warn you is tyre and wind noise which isn't exactly audible from a distance.

But as said, pedestrians need to be part of the equation too. Walk facing oncoming traffic and wear high-vis or light coloured clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Any near misses I have are due to pedestrians walking across the road with their nose in their phone. Not unique to EVs either. Yes, they're quoter but with so many people walking with headphones on, it won't matter either way. Pedestrians need to be alert but on the flip side, most new EVs have collision avoidance. None of my previous cars had that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

This is based on data from 2013 to 2017 so it's basically completely irrelevant, but it's done the job of generating many headlines that I've seen both here and abroad.

One reason that it's irrelevant is that the main hypothesis is that it's due to the lack of engine noise, which has of course since been rectified as all EVs are required by law to generate a fake engine sound for pedestrian safety and have done for years now.

Another reason why I would question the finding is that it is based on number of pedestrian collisions per million miles driven of each fuel type. But for the time period covered the vast majority of electric vehicles were much lower range than they are today, with early Leafs being dominant. These vehicles would do the vast majority of their driving in urban areas, where all the pedestrians are, while ICE vehicles in this period would have covered far more motorway miles, thus "watering down" the amount of mileage where they could possibly have been in an incident with a pedestrian. I think a "per journey" or "per urban mile driven" statistic would have made a lot more sense, though data probably doesn't exist for that.

Data must surely exist for more recent years than 2017 though and with modern EVs now excelling at longer distances the comparison would be a bit more balanced, it would be interesting to see if there is actually any difference nowadays. I suspect not.

You must have been crossing at a blind junction or dangerous junction. If you can’t see safely down the road, don’t cross. Use a signalled crossing instead.

We say the same to children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,057 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No tyre noise, given you say it was going 'at speed'?

Generally in an ICE car, tyre noise is louder than engine noise at speeds above about 30 or 40km/h; if that Tesla was going fast enough to startle you should have heard tyre noise, not a whirr, same as you would with an ICE car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

FUD and may not be true.

+1

People don’t realise tyre noise is more prominent on cars as they approach.

On a windy day like yesterday, tyre noise is hard to hear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,057 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That may be the case, but the fact that s/he was able to hear a 'slight whirr' suggests it wasn't that windy.

• Advertisement

Glad you're ok. I almost drove into a path of an oncoming vehicle at T junction recently even when I thought I had looked carefully. The human eye blind spot can be a pain if/when you don't turn your head sufficiently but rely on one eye only.

From how I'm reading it, it was very close when they heard it.

Considering 2% of those stats were EVs suggests no one can hear ICE cars either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Regardless of what the media says, it’s the consumer that matters and they haven’t yet voted with their wallets to the degree they were predicted to a few years ago.

I’d say price followed by range followed by lack of consumer confidence around resale values and large bills if something went wrong in the future - ie the unknowns

In terms of resale value it’s The second hand market that dictates this and they have yet to warm to the current asking prices in the numbers that are needed to keep the EV gravy train on track- so yes there’s still a requirement to reduce prices further of new cars so that new car buyers feel they are getting value

For second hand buyers the unknowns around reduced range and potential battery failure outside of guaranteed years or milage are definate concerns - if manufacturers and so called experts are confident about these things let them provide lifetime guarantees- job done

When there continue to be no horror stories and people realise the EV batteries are not failing the perception will change, but in the meantime it's great time to buy second hand EVs. Owners like neglegting their older cars but you can't really neglegt a battery so buying one second hand is safer than any ICE in my opinion.

I have bought two old second hand EVs in recent years and the Nissan has needed front wishbone bushings coming to 8 years of age and also two tyres in just under 2 years we owned it. The i3 I bought last week needs front strut gaiters that protect the shocks and also four new tyres so just typical car stuff. This BMW at 7 years of age still shows just over the promised battery capacity when new and I got it at very good price (30%) compared to its original purchase price of about 40k. The leaf is doing ok too at 75% state of health, which is admittedly well below the BMW, but then it only costs about 25% of the price when new.

Both are expected to cost only a small fraction of what an ICE would do in fuel and routine servicing so are a bit of a bargain for suitable driving within their ranges.

very true my 2020 etron made no noise, i often had to open the window to let people know i was behind them in car parks etc if they were walking in the middle of the lane, my current one makes a pretty audible spaceship noise !

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭DrPsychia

Agreed. There are a few factors causing the slowdown of BEV adoption. One of the reasons Toyota hybrids sell well is reliability, and that reliability is backed up by an up to 10-year (185k km) warranty if you service annually with a main dealer.

Some people have grievances with Toyota regarding their EV efforts and attempts to slow BEV adoption, valid as they may be, Toyota are offering the same service activated 10-year warranty for their BEV components as their hybrids. Their BEV batteries also covered up to 10 years.

Since EVs are technically more reliable because of significantly less moving parts, why are some manufacturer warranties not reflecting that supposed increased reliability? Fair play to the likes of BYD, Kia and Toyota, they are the market leaders in this area.

NIO did an excellent job innovating with their battery swap technology. Their tech should be adopted by more manufacturers for the ease of replacing a battery if it manifests a catastrophic fault, reducing labour costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I certainly won’t argue with anything you’ve said there- I guess perception is everything and if consumers perceive that EVs are not where they need to be in terms of their concerns then the sales just won’t follow.

We’re a two car household both currently ICE’s- I’ve gone through personal torture (slight exaggeration 😀) over replacing one of them that’s over 15 years old with an EV- I FINALLY realised that my reluctance had little to do with concerns about EVs (which admittedly i do still have some) but simply the fact that right now, we’re just using the more modern ICE car for 90 % of our journeys between the two of us- the older ICE car rarely leaves the driveway .

Reduced travel post COVID with many still working from home has greatly reduced the need for two “good” cars in the driveway, from my perspective at least.

If I’m honest I’m probably reluctant to buy an older EV for all the usual reasons - ie battery degradation shorter range and potential or unknown costs if battery fails - I’ll probably change my mind on that when the price is right and just get on with it - but yeah, that’s me, but I imagine that’s a lot of others too.

But I’m very conscious that the next oil crisis is probably just around the corner so I don’t want to wait too long before purchasing an EV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have found hybrid taxis with no sound generator are worse than EVs. Many older hybrid cars make no noise at low speeds.

It's pure scaremongering though. If you don't look and step on to a road you may get a surprise. What about all these escooters that have no noise generator?

• Advertisement

ICE cars have running into people for a hundred years. Obviously hearing them isn't the safety feature you'd assume.

Advertisement