Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

Not people, just a poster. sf cheerleader who may or may not support them depending on which account they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,850 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeh, the difference between a poll and a General Election is a 'pinhead'.

Something long overdue. We benefitted from that same recognition as a fledgling state too.

'that power swapped between'.

If you understand grammar it's a fairly benign statement of fact. If I'd written, 'They swapped power between them' that would validate your complaint.
    There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it did lead to a cosiness and sham fighting to appear different when they weren't really anymore.

It led to situations where the likes of Enda Kenny could promise a new politics with no intention of delivering it, knowing that it would not do any long term damage.

*I get that I phrased it wrong in the past, but once I understood that I changed how I phrased it. Maybe you should review your understanding of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ahh it's some bulls**t SF came up with and waffle on about it now thinking that people will see Ireland as a bad country

In fact we are a very good country to live in, some issues of course but every country has them

It's usual the waster element in Ireland, who thinks everyone else owes them a living come up with this. Normally followed by why they haven't a free house, or why do they need to work etc etc

Seemingly it is terrible to ask people to get off their arse, get an education, get a job and work to pay for things you want, instead of sitting back and complaining because the government is not using tax from someone else to buy them stuff because they are too lazy to do the above.

As I pointed out on this thread before, Ireland has become an incredible country, hence why so many people want to come and live in it. If we didn't have FF and FG what we would have? they have managed to turn Ireland into a place that people can go to school, college, then get a job and plan to stay for life. From a country that my father grew up in and when he was 16 he went off to a building site in London.

Now it took us a while but we got to this position, now you have clowns complaining about it

Terrible debating to be honest.
    Having to invent stuff people are saying is not a good place to be.
    Refusing to back up what you are claiming again and again, not a good look either.

Stop talking sense.

FF and FG are in a conspiracy to always have power, dont you know.

We are talking in the context of polls and based on that we are speculating about the formation of the next government.

Its the entire basis of the thread FFS!

You know this.

I know this.

So stop playing silly games about being pedantic about every single thing.

Just because SF is shedding support according to polls, aint my problem. Perhaps reflect on the why.

The term 'power swap' is used as a pejorative.

We had this conversation before and you were fillited on the topic once we got into it.

Yea, its a cute little term used by SF supporters, but ultimately it's a nonsense argument.

But it does show us something

SF want us to elect them because they are NOT FF or FG.

But they won't sell themselves to us as their own thing. Very telling, and the more people use the 'power swap' term the more it reenforces my thinking on this.

• Advertisement

You responded to a post where I corrected somebody who claimed SF 'are shedding votes'.
    They aren't.
    Are they falling in the polls, yes, some of them and they are rising in others.

Nobody is disagreeing with your point on the polls Mark.

Are they falling in the polls, yes, some of them and they are rising in others.

The trend for SF is down down down.

Disaster for them to be honest.

Last year SF were expecting to get 6 MEP's elected this year.

Now they are looking to get just 3 elected.

And I explained I had in the past used the term incorrectly.

But it is my opinion (sorry you disagree with it) that the fact that power swapped between just two parties (through no sinister manipulating or fault of their own) led to the situation we have had for quite a while. Two parties who are essentially the same, in a cozy relationship which has led to a level of toxicity in Irish politics and governance.

FG were at 35% in the polls too and have fallen to GE 2020 levels.

Parties rise and fall in the polls.
    Disaster? That's a bit of an exaggeration tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭pureza

It would consign them to opposition again untill at least 2030 on recent trends as the current government would get reelected though wouldn't it

I doubt the greens would have any hassle ok'ing another agreement given their success in implimenting what they wanted and the FG and FF leadership do prefer a continuation dont they,its extremely unlikely their conventions would vote that down either now isnt it,lets be realistic

in a cozy relationship which has led to a level of toxicity in Irish politics and governance.

Ah, so now the 'Power Swap' is to blame for the toxicity in Irish politics.

Go on, elaborate on this nonsense.

Look, I know it is your habit to mis-represent what has been said.
    I quite clearly said that I don't use 'powerswap' any longer and clarified what I mean't by it.

If you can't cope with somebody accepting they wrongly used a term, that is your issue.

Now if you genuinely want to understand what I mean about 'a level of toxicity', scroll back a few posts and read what I said about Enda Kenny etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭pureza

I'd have though FF and FG cooperating healed relationships,wheres the toxicity ?

I'm confused

Disaster? That's a bit of an exaggeration tbh.

SF were talked about in leading the next government with a left-wing party.

Some were getting giddy at the prospect that SF could get an overall majority.

Now, those days are done.

SF support is back to where it was in 2020, at the last GE.

Their only option to power is now with FF or FG, so there goes the "Change" argument

And guess what?

Their support has fallen where they have not spent one day in power, not one.

Across the water, Labour has a 20-point lead on the Tories, even though Sir Keir Starmer, isn't all that popular.

FG has been in power 14 years, and SF is in the margin of error next to them.

Yeap, in hindsight its a disaster.

SF should be out of sight, but they made bags of it.

The people have gotten tired of their consistent whining, their flip flopping, their lack of solutions and policies.

Immigration has hit them very very hard and their working-class voters are abonding them in droves as the polls are suggesting.

Even their candiates are quite weak. The SF guy on upfront was like white bread. Weak and tasteless. They have a serious lack of talent in their ranks.

And while their party is out trying to get votes, MLMD is off to the US, swanning about about place attending expensive BBQ's trying to raise money.

She has more or less thrown in the towel, she is nowhere to be seen. What is her view on immigration? No one really knows.

It would consign them to opposition again untill at least 2030 on recent trends as the current government would get reelected though wouldn't it

Yes, if a GE returned the last poll results, I think FF/FG and others would be too tempted to not change (although I still think another coalition of the two will provoke internal strife in FF)

I'd also still put a lot of store in an actual election campaign.

• Advertisement

You blamed FF and FG and the 'powerswap' for the toxicity in Irish politics.

These are your words.

Now, either you are making stuff up… again, or you genuinely believe it.

Either or, can you elaborate on it.

WRONG.
    Read posts properly please:

But it is my opinion (sorry you disagree with it) that the fact that power swapped between just two parties (through no sinister manipulating or fault of their own) led to the situation we have had for quite a while. Two parties who are essentially the same, in a cozy relationship which has led to a level of toxicity in Irish politics and governance.

SF were talked about in leading the next government with a left-wing party.

Some were getting giddy at the prospect that SF could get an overall majority.

Neither of these two apply to me.
    Take it up with those who posted in that way.

Two parties who are essentially the same, in a cozy relationship which has led to a level of toxicity in Irish politics

Elaborate on the bit in bold please.

Ok, lets go back to the question at hand.

How do SF form a government, and how do they form one without FG and FF?

By reaching the requisite numbers in a GE.
    And then via negotiation of a palatable programme for government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

You should have included the 'cozy relationship' bit cos it's the new pejorative term from power swap.

Of course a coalition of SF/FF which the poster has been advocating, indeed stipulating that it is FFs 'last chance saloon' could never be described as such. That would instead be a 'negotiation of a palatable programme for Government'.

There is such a thing as a coalition between two different parties where they agree to compromise on policy principles. Nothing wrong with a proper respectful coalition. The parties can go their separate ways after, integrity intact. The tendency in the coalitions we have had to date here has been the minor party scapegoated and sundered at the polling booth.

The coming together of FF and FG after years of 'civil war' politics didn't happen overnight. I think they grew comfortable and complacent about their dominance, and they grew more and more alike bar the sham fighting.
    That was what I was referring to when I said 'cozy relationship'.
    As I said they knew either would not be out of power long if they kept it up.
    The emergence of an opposition capable of forming a government without them, easily joined them together. The sham was over, a key change on the Irish political landscape.
    Is the above pejorative? Maybe, so what? Plenty of political parties here are referenced pejoratively.

SF could go the same way, who knows. I'll recognise it if I see it happening though.

That is the most banal answer possible. Well done.

No substance and no thought behind it.

Which parties should SF negotiate with and what number of seats would be a good outcome for SF?

• Advertisement

The emergence of an opposition capable of forming a government without them,

When was this now?

Advertisement