Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRFU Funding Model changes

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's a discussion, not advice

You posted as if Leinster are giving advice, I guess you have confirmed this is not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Apparently he knows everything about the leinster system.

Incredible knowledge for someone not living in Ireland.

Mod: Attack the post not the poster.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But if these players haven’t been signed to Leinster’s academy, then by definition it’s not “just taking players from Leinster” right?

In any case I don’t think it’s anyway likely to any great scale; Provinces won’t be favouring this option over developing their own players. It’s just not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Does the CC distribution matter? Shouldn't a CC contract be earned?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

And they still will need to be earned. This change will have no appreciable impact on who gets a CC.

But if CC’s were 100% union funded (which, by all accounts, they were), then the distribution does matter with regards down-stream impacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

With the wording of the proposed changes, "contribute up to 30% of the cost of a national contract for their players", I reckon there will be a flat fee of €150k per player on CC, which means for the lower end CC of €500k it would constitute 30%, for the mid range CC of 600k it would be 25%, and for the higher end CC of €750 it would work out at 20%.

By that reasoning I estimate that Leinster could face a bill of around 1.5m for their CC players next season.

The flip-side of that is that most if not all of this cost will probably be offset with the new incentives and fund-matching being promised.

There's no mention of Players Of National Interest (PONI), I'd assume they are not going to divulge how much they spend on topping up salaries across the provinces above what the province wants to pay for them. I'd imagine Lowe, Gibson-Park, McCarthy, Healy, Conan, Kelleher, Connors, Baird, Bealham, Hansen, O'Mahony, Murray, Crowley, McCloskey, Stockdale, Timoney would all be players of national interest of varying degrees.

Advertisement