Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No I don't. Saying Israel are wrong doesn't mean you literally hate Israel. I'm talking about the kind of people who say that Hamas are freedom fighters and that the rape and murder of civilians and the taking of female army members as sex slaves is legitimate resistance. People who take the side of Iran and the houthis in recent events just because they think they are on the "same side". They would rather see Israel wiped out of existence. Those are fervent Israel haters. Plenty of them about

There's not a country in the world who wouldnt go to all out war in response if an attack like October 7 had happened to them, perpetrated by a neighbouring government. The videos made public are just the tip of the iceberg of what was done to them

Post edited by ceadaoin. on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,611 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Irish government taking an active role in Palestine is to deflect from their own failings in at home. It's all ****-stirring to appease the mob who they are catering to.

It's cynical move from an utterly incompetent government. In fairness, I will admit that on the part of the Greens, they have always been pro-Palestine, so I withdraw the cynical label when it comes to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

They are not clueless, it's by design. The current Israeli Government have no interest in winning the peace. Bear in mind Bibi is the guy who held a mock funeral for Rabin. He has stated there will be no Palestinian state under his watch. Yet we are supposed to believe it's all about the timing of this move.

The irony of it all is that these moves by Khan and Harris have probably increased support for him among Israelis. He must be secretly delighted by it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

FG members were against recognition, they voted it down at the ard fheis.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41400922.html

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

You ‘proved’ me wrong by waffling on about FF, FG etc - none of which has relevance to 1919

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

The amount of Irish people across the web who think Ireland shouldn't do this because of MNCs is kind of remarkable. They think Ireland should just support the US and Israel's destruction of people and threats against the ICC because of money. Can they not should move to the US and deep throat their employers in person? Or better yet, move to Israel and block some aid trucks in their Dublin jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

I have seen literly no one argue that Hamas are freedom fighters and the the rape and murder of civilians and the taking of female army menbers as sex slaves is legitimate resistance. So who are you talking about or are you just intentionally building a false dichotomy as you cannot build a cogent justification for the Israeli response?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm going to just go with the second paragraph. There's not a country in the world who would put up with 75 years of subjugation, imprisonment without charge, withholding of natural resources, destruction of airports, ports, industry, blockades of its own fishing waters, having children shot to death on its beaches, illegal displacement of 100,000 of civilians, theft of homes, farms to be handed over to people with literally zero connection to them or the country.

And this is not a defence of Hamas. This is just normality for Palestinians with Israel.

With all that, there is an awful lot to really, really dislike about Israel. And it's important to say Israel, not Jewish people (you thankfully have not framed it that way).

I don't care that they are the most "western" country in the middle east. They are apparently liberal, and are a democracy. They treat 2 milion people like they are subhumans and they have official policies run by their governments as part of that.

Israel is a country where around 8-10% of the population live on stolen land as if it's still the 1800s. They have different laws for people on that land with Palestinians going to military courts and settlers going to civilian courts. They routinely kill innocent Palestinians and this time last year, the world was condemning them for it.

Shame on any Irish person who supports an apartheid nation currently displacing and starving millions of people using bombs. It's absurdity that Ireland of all places has people in it who support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The only possible solution for the future is a Two State solution and to have a two state solution the state of Palestine has to be recognised by the international community at its agreed borders set out in 1948. Its the Israelis that seemed to have a problem with these borders and constantly encroached on Palestinian territory.

I do feel that had Palestine been recognised as a state way back in 1948 then we wouldnt be here now and there could have been peace in the region.

Eh, what?

The UN under resolution 181 (ii) created the borders for the State of Israel (for Jews) and an Arab State i.e Palestine.

The Jews accepted this, the Arabs did not. This led to the invasion of Israel in an attempt to wipe them out in the 1948 war.

Had the Arab leadership NOT attacked Israel there would have been peace there since then. But no, many of them could not fathom a Jewish state on their border.

Lastly, this is reality. One does not get to attack a state 5-6 times over 70 years, lose every single time and then try and call a reset, start-over as if it was a Playstation game. That is not who the world works.

The finger should be pointed at the Palestinian leadership for this mess. They should never have attacked Israel in 1948.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Considering that the PLO was only founded in 1964, you're talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

You mean the Arabs didnt attack Israel in 1948?

One can't have it both ways.

Advocate the creation of Palestine from the 1948 borders ala the UN resolution 181(ii) but then ignore the primary reason this didn't happen, which was the invasion of Israel by its Arab neighbours, which the Palestinians wholly supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The aquistition of territory by force is illegal under international law, thus Israel's colonies in the West Bank, Arab East Jerusalem, Golan etc are illegal expansionist efforts.

This will not doubt be welcomed by those who were opposed to the timing of Simon's announcement. They can't cite it as a win for Hamas, seeing as leading Hamas members may have arrest warrants issued for them too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13450685/germany-arrest-benjamin-netanyahu-icc-war-crimes-isreal-gaza.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/22/israel-national-security-jake-sullivan

To everyone mocking us, this stuff does make waves. I'm very proud of Ireland standing up and making the US take note that the current approach is making Israel lose support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Do you perhaps want to give a history lesson as to how Israel got to that point?

Should the ethnic Germans ask for bits of Poland and the Chezh Republic back?

And to every buffoon in this thread who think that Ireland recognising Palestine somehow boosts Hamas, this is what Israel themselves are doing to boost Hamas. Your favourite war criminal:

https://www.politico.eu/article/benjamin-netanyahu-hamas-qatar-money-war-israel-gaza-palestine/

Former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is a leading example of a politician who takes that version of events with a pinch of salt. “In the last 15 years, Israel did everything to downgrade the Palestinian Authority and to boost Hamas,” he previously told POLITICO. “Gaza was on the brink of collapse because they had no resources, they had no money, and the PA refused to give Hamas any money. Bibi saved them. Bibi made a deal with Qatar and they started to move millions and millions of dollars to Gaza.”

Most incriminatingly, Netanyahu himself said in 2019 at a Likud party conference: “Anyone who wants to prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state needs to support strengthening Hamas.”

Like people here seriously don't have any problem with Israel propping up Hamas so that Palestine cannot form a proper state, which directly lead to October's attack. They'd rather sit in this thread claiming to be embarrassed to be Irish. Why aren't they critical of Israel for propping up Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think they have highlighted the problem here. The destruction of Hamas by military means doesn't seem possible so if Israel keeps killing 10s of thousands of civilians is will just keep becoming isolated internationally.

Also I think if the hostages are released I think Israel will be forced to stop their action as their international support will drop like a stone.i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The countries recognising the state of Palestine, just doesn't make sense to me. Spain, Hungary, Romania, Cyprus, Greece,

These countries have failed to recognise Kosovo, a functioning state, who declared independence in 2008. And yet they can recognise Palestine?

Doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 23,623 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What about the other countries that do. Does that make sense to you? Were you equally perplexed at countries that recognised Israel back in 1948. It seems like this is just a way for you to criticise recognising Palestine as a state. I thought it was merely a timing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I just don't see the point? Or the benefit, to anyone? At least we recognise Kosovo, the countries I listed earlier, don't, but yet they recognise Palestine. Doesn't make sense to me.

I am sure there were people who thought the same at the time the state of Israel was officially recognised. Were those states who decided to recognise Israel wrong to do so? The move by Ireland may encourage others to recognise the state of Palestine and help gather momentum for a process to begin whereby a two state solution eventually comes to pass. We know for the likes of Bibi and Ben Givir there is no benefit nor ever a good time to recognise the state of Palestine. Israel needs someone like Olmert or even Barack at the helm again. Bibi is causing Israel to become more and more isolated- while in the short term that suits him perfectly well, in the long run it's bad for Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

You really need to brush up on your history and facts before throwing out silly comments - ask yourself, when did international law come into existence?? I'll help you out… it wasnt before WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Hmmm, so you can't offer an opinion on something until it's codified into law?

Silly comment and silly thanks considering Cyprus/Hungary/Romania recognised them since 1988 and Greece since 1990.

Love to see the bias in full swing….

• Advertisement

The opinion is invalid as the international law is effective for one and not for the other.

Advertisement