Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't need to ask her because she is campaigning and I can hear what she says.

If she is a co-founder of Team Limerick Clean-up and is on Limerick Tidy Towns but thinks the city is filthy to the level of hyperbole she says then she obviously isn't doing a very good job with either is she.

Anyone who has been around Limerick and also any other city in Ireland or Europe and claims Limerick is particularly filthy for a city is a liar.

And expect some questions on a discussion forum if you are gonna endorse a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

TLC is one day a year and Tidy Towns is a small group of people volunteering to litter pick twice a week in the summer and once a week during the winter. She is referring to street cleaning which is a function of the local authority. Generally I think the lads who clean the streets do a good job and bins are rarely full except during times like Riverfest. However, small things like choosing right materials for paving so as not to show up dirt, sorting out dereliction and vacancy which can result in dumping, introducing shopfront planning policies etc can go a long way to improving the visual appearance of our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The one thing that she would know about better than any of the other candidates though is the cleanliness of Limerick, she did co-found Team Limerick Clean-up and is out every week with Tidy Towns

Absolutely, anyone can pick holes in her campaign but to disagree with her on the cleanliness of the city is an odd one. She knows more than most of us what the city really looks like from a litter and dirt problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I genuinely wonder if Maurice Quinlivan just prefers the idea of council work to national work. He was top dog on the council for many years, never held the office of mayor, but always stood up very loudly for the people in his LEA. Contrast that with becoming a backbencher and not having much of a voice in many matters at naional level. If he's successful in the mayorality it gives him the chance to go back to the politics he may have a preference for.

With the upcoming Westminster elections SF will get a boost as well in the face of a weakened DUP/Tories as the news of opnion polls and debates in the north filter South. As you correctly say as well. A by-election win will be another kick to the current govt not long before a GE.

I think Leddin is running to gauge the support of the green party. They are probably in internal discussions of running 2 candidates in the next GE and will do so if Leddin polls well

Quinlivan will probably top the poll, he might even win but I still think it's a 2 horse race between Daniel Butler and Dee Ryan as they will hoover up each others transfers and those from the greens. Of course this is all subjective but that's my prediction

I know I was being a bit tongue in cheek there.

The city isn't filthy but dereliction doesn't help as you say. Pretty much all the candidates agree that dereliction needs to be tackled but I am sceptical that any will be able to take on whoever owns these spots. Shopfront policy would be a something I would love too but it won't get done because the very first shop to say its anti business would have the "da city center IS DEAD coz a da council" people going fuking nuts online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

As Leadin says himself , it will on come down to transfers. Because most people fill their slip all the way down giving a number to each candidate . i's quite possible he'll be elected. He'll poll high behind Mowran and O Tonnell.

Post edited by Pman on

The city isn't filthy 

It is absolutely filthy, litter everywhere, street furniture stained or broken, the boardwalk and pavements destroyed with dog poo and chewing gum, moss/algae on the metal railings around the river.

It's a lovely city from a distance but up close it's needs a lot of cleaning.

Look closer at every other city. Limerick is no different. And there isn't litter and dog sht everywhere that's just more hyperbole.

Outside the city centre though there is a serious illegal dumping problem. Plenty of "salt of the earth" types dumping all over their own estates.

We're talking about the DEM for Limerick here, other cities are irrelevant. A candidate has said the city is dirty, you took exception to it but from my experience she is 100% correct.

Other cities are very relevant.

Unless Limerick is some sort of bubble full of problems that no other city has which would be utter nonsense.

It's selling fairy tales to pretend Limerick won't have the same minor issues as other cities.

• Advertisement

RTE have decided to host a debate between all candidates

https://x.com/HalloranCathy/status/1793607377775645028?t=KkgpOftqsL_WE3WyDVYwMQ&s=19

Gonna be a bit messy but probably the only fair workaround to get the front running independents in.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

A debate with 14/15 candidates will be a bit of a shitshow unless they break them into smaller groups like the one the other night which was a good idea I thought. Does mean you need to spend more time to hear everyone which is really only for the hard core political nerds however. A 'public service' type website with 10 questions and a 1 minute video answer from each candidate would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

I still can't tell if Colm O Móráin is serious or doing this for a laugh with his pals. From the bits I've heard from him so far I'm leaning towards the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I hope it's a laugh cos if not I'd seriously question what's going on in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lord Baron Lane 8

How much Money does the Directly Elected Mayor get paid a week ? a year? is there bonuses plus expenses ? to me its all about the Money Jobs worth etc its nearly all the same families in power our looking for power for the last 100 years since Ireland broke away from England to be honest its time to get rid of all Mayors in Ireland and this Money could be used to built homes for Homeless Women & Children etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

Did I endorse her or just counter your unwarranted criticism of her opinion of the cleanliness of Limerick? You don't need to take her word for it either, IBAL deemed it the most littered city centre in Ireland

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/limerick/news/limerick-judged-the-most-littered-city-centre-in-ireland-in-2023-ibal-report/a1206741557.html

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it untrue. At least she is calling out something that is fixable and will make a difference straight away if a plan is implemented.

I'd much rather the mayor's budget is spent on power hoses than gaming museums.

The big problem is the lack of bins around the city and their infrequent servicing. In some similar scaled cities in France they have a cellar type construction beneath the bin that is vaccumed out once a week. They also have bin sets on main streets with recycle options. chewing gum doesn't seem to be much of a problem in Cork or Dublin. The LCC workers do a marvellous job but they need better infrastructure. I'd definitely support more investment in bins but a gaming museum also has merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I honestly don't think it's a laugh. He has some serious issues going on in that head and I'd say it's about time some of his family stepped in and had a word with him.

• Advertisement

The way it was explained to me back at the time of the plebiscite was that the mayor would have the salary and responsibilities of a government minister. Effectively the mayor will be a "minister for Limerick" for want of a better title

Daniel Butler on Newstalk now saying his children were named in a threatening manner on social media. It's been reported to the cops

I blame society rather than the lack of bins - I saw a few youths eating a takeaway while sitting in their car on O'Callaghan Strand recently, on my return walk they had abandoned their litter on the roadside and kerbside of their car, even though there were 2 bins within a few meters of their car. You see people walking out of shops and opening whatever purchase (generally a vape wrapping) they've made and dropping their litter rather than dispose of it in the bin inside the store or carry it to a nearby bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hopefully leaves the Jordan Peterson gimmick at home when it comes to the upcoming debate.

It's definitely down to people. If you can carry the can of coke or bag of chips while you are consuming it then you can carry the empty package as far as a bin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Talk about a loony fantasy. Mayors exist in every country in the world. Having a mayor who's directly elected by the people and is answerable to the people brings Limerick in line with how mayors are elected nearly everywhere else. Hopefully the other cities in Ireland will soon follow suit.

As to the salary, that's been well publicised as being the same as a Chief Executive of a local authority, which is currently €151,134.

When is the last time you were in the city? If it was any time recently you'd know that there are multiple solar powered compacting bins that are placed in pairs. One for recycling and one for general waste. These bins send out a message to the council cleaning team when they are full. There is no shortage of bins.

And the chewing gum issue is in no way unique to Limerick. To think anyway otherwise is delusional.

One of the candidates is talking about modular homes being erected on state lands around the city to provide to young people for renting. It sounds like a workable idea if you dont need planning permission or a connection to sewerage. These seem to be the biggest constraints to new housing coming on stream in Limerick : planning permission and connection to water and wastewater pipes.

So homes without water or wastewater connections? That doesn't sound like the best idea

His idea was to put them places like Southhill which has loads of empty already plumbed land.

I know nothing about building houses so I don't know if that makes the job a lot easier but it sounds like it would. The plonked a row of them down in Pineview recently and it seemed pretty hassle free except for the gigantic truck needed to deliver them.

• Advertisement

Modular homes are quick to erect, but they do need planning permission.

Advertisement