Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can restaurants refuse to cut food into smaller portions?

Options

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Again, no more than the wheelchair poster, that is a very different scenario than a soft pancake and a cast on one wrist before ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

precisely why I voted NO in the disability/carer referendum. It’s a basic human decency to make a little effort to assist someone with a disability. For the most part I have found people to be incredibly kind to me & I make sure to show how much I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

do you expect the 18 year old waiter to be a carer? What point are you actually making? Or just expressing outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Who comes up with this shite,,,

Waiting staff are often involved in the final part of food preparation, and the exceptionally simple task of making a few slices of a pancake at the table should have been done without fuss.

The vibe among some people these times is to be as unhelpful as possible. “It’s not my job to be helpful”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Outweighed by the sense of entitlement though, and of course the threat of a bad review. I’d like to think you are extra generous with your tip if the young waiter cuts your food up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I agree….. in an ideal world with first class experienced waiting staff this might happen. The reality is kids barely out of school, earning dreadful wages in a scenario where most eating establishments can't even get staff! I was in a pizza place the other evening and the 2 young lads who were waiting spent most of their time checking their phones. Its very hard to get any staff right now never mind staff who will cut up your dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I expect them to do their job, which includes any reasonable accommodation required by customers with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I agree fully with this, but also that your best option now is to either forget about it alltogether and not dinner there again, or send an email (Ring/Talk) to management to make them aware of what happened, and your dissatisfaction and than not dine there again.

like this? Is this the service you expect for anyone with a broken arm?

You could video them and send the video to the food and drink ombudsman when this level of fine dining is not presented when buying crepes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It must be very hard to navigate life with such extreme sense of entitlement.

I have had many staff in restaurants and elsewhere go the extra mile for me without my requesting it, just out of basic humanity, and yes I do tip generously. I too, in my time, have gone the extra mile for people I have served as customers, and accommodated requests. It’s ordinary decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭the14thwarrior

never heard such *rap. i thought the poster was having a laugh. Maybe they still are. cannot believe you would order something you can't manage with an arm in a cast. are your fingers not free? and thumb? order something that you can't manage and ask the cafe to cut it up for you. for real?

instead of wondering how the cafe should have responded, did ya ever think how insulting it is?

trust me, i've a real life disability, and had temporary disabilities (which i count as accidents and disabilities) and i would never dream of putting someone out or making an unreasonable request like you have.

unreasonable. glad they said no.

i'm sure they would help someone who genuinely needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

This must be a troll. What’s next cut up your kids food? Whatever about being on your own but someone with you wouldn’t offer to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭the14thwarrior

yeah a troll with entitlement

they live under the m50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Sorry I know, The First bit was in agreement with your statement, second bit for OP, should have separated the post better!

You can compost your little straw man😁

You expect a silver service experience from your humble servants.

Me, I don’t have the lofty sense of entitlement others have, of some kid bringing food from kitchen to restaurant table.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wanting servers to cut up your pancakes isn't a reasonable request, it is a nonsense request. Only an idiot would suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

OP should ask for plastic bag (or bring his own as they may be plastic bag levy involved), put it over cast and mash crepes to the point he can comfortably use a spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I get the feeling that is above them.

Considering ordering a sandwich and eating it in the other hand is above them.

it amazes me the way servers are infantilised and called “kids”, beyond expectations of being an adult. Age 17 I was working in a public facing role and expected to understand customers’ needs. You can have a full pilot’s license age 17/18 and take on any number of complex responsibilities, travel the world solo, pass arduous exams etc etc. At that age is someone thought of me as a “kid” I wouldn’t have been slow to respond.

On the other hand I do wonder if OP is serious here. At same time I don’t know what company OP was in. If if were their new boss from work (and if this were the case OP would surely have mentioned it) then asking server discreetly would have been reasonable.

I am going out for dinner tonight. Have a nice 12oz ribeye steak in mind. Will be asking my waiter to cut it up into nice little pieces for me, ensuring to remove the fat. Wish me well😁

make sure to plaster your dominant arm up well, to the fingertips, and to order it very well done 🤣

Keep on strawmanning there. No one mentioned 'silver service' except you. And I've no idea what cutting up food has to do with silver service anyway.

It's just a simple, functional request that any food establishment should be able to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It really is some jumped up nonsense to demand that servers carry out body service, as if they exist only to cater to the whim of everyone who comes through the door.

Perhaps mammy spoonfed these people for a few years too many but that doesn't mean the rest of society needs to entertain their nonsense.

Of course these same people would be the first to raise hell if the server got gravy mixed with the veg while they were mashing the spuds for them. They'd cry like babies if the pancakes weren't cut at the correct angle or were flattened a bit by the cutting.

If they shouldn't have to cut up food for babies in the high chairs, then why the hell should they have to do it for grown adults.

because there is a cohort of people out to find offence at every turn. Ready to snap photos and go pro footage and whinge on the internet about their pancakes not being cut right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭893bet

if both hands in a cast should restaurant have to feed you?

• Advertisement

Just in case you forgot, restaurants will indeed provide high chairs, will heat baby's bottles, will provide special baby bowls of food on request - all good service for customers.

You seem to have missed the OPs story about why he needed a little extra support, or 'reasonable accommodation' as it's called in law - nothing to do with spoonfeeding by mammy, and everything to do with a temporary disability.

If they shouldn't have to cut up food for babies in the high chairs, then why the hell should they have to do it for grown adults.

Because they have a disability.

Advertisement