Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

At least you can technically carry the lidl ones as well as wheel them and they are a little lighter I find, but still.

never thought about your own basket, wonder if they do fold up net ones or sth?

It has put me off going there if I only need a few things which is most of the time, and definitely less incentive to pick up impulse things to try if you are trying to manage holding your shopping in your hands to avoid using a wheely trolley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've been raging against the bigger baskets in Lidl, too. They don't fit on the checkout counters so it means bending down to remove every item. I've contacted customer service about it twice and it seems that the staff hate them, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I always bring a shopping bag with me (I have about 100 in the car) and just fill that. Empty it at the till, and fill it again quick-smart. I will never use one of those wheel-along baskets, ever.

Or else just grab one of the shallow actual trollies, if I have more than I can throw into a bag, or delicate stuff like bottles or eggs that can't be fired back into it.

In other news, I've been on a campaign to find out what ever happened to the dried mango and tropical trail mix - got hold of them on Twitter, and they keep insisting that they're part of their core stock and should be on the shelves. I keep telling them they're not, haven't been for months, and any staff I've ever asked say the same. They've now promised to follow up and find out what's going on.

Both are among my favourite producsts from Aldi, so I hope they find wherever they've hidden them all and put them back on sale!!

They have signs up now in stores near me stating you can't use shopping bags until after the till, and security people come up and stop you (it has happened me 😮). May be branch dependent

I use four or five different stores, and almost always use my own bag, have never had a word said to me. I must have an honest look about me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like the idea of using your own bag as a protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,621 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

My local Aldi and Lidl have had those baskets for ages, and Lidl has had the kids trolleys too.

It's very undignified cocking your arse up in the air to unload the basket after knocking a few kids charging about with their trolleys out of their standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not so much a protest as just easier. Despite having to walk past two banners at the door to say not to use your bag, never had a problem. I also make a point of turning my bag upside down at the till so they can see it’s empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I can't believe this is even a thing😲 Never noticed any signs saying i can't use my own bag, doesn't mean they're not there of course. No one's ever stopped me from walking around with my bag either.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

I think it all depends on the shop to be honest. I had no issues using my bag in Aldi in Baldoyle, in East Wall the security guard came over straight away to tell me to use a basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭lucalux

I wouldn't use my own bag, I've worked in retail.

It's just not worth the side-eye, or if the shop has it's own security, the following around and monitoring! (i obviously look shady af 😁)

Would rather something like these folding baskets than a net/string bag (see through), as they can be really awkward for bulkier or heavier items

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I don't drive and I shop in Aldi on the way home from the bus 3-4 days a week. I don't like the idea of using my own bag when it explicitly says not to, but are those folding baskets something you could have on you all day on your commute and at work? Or too big? I have already started going less frequently and choosing alternatives.

It's a stupid decision. I'll try contacting customer service to register my unhappiness!

Those plastic ones fold flat, but they'd only be suitable if you already bring a backpack or similar with you to work maybe? lightweight-ish, depending on how sturdy you want them

A mesh bag is probably good for a lot of people, if you're doing small shops without extra heavy items?

I'd just not use them because a bottle of laundry detergent or something else heavy would put pressure on it. Last thing I need is to have everything fall out of the bottom of the bag!

100% think we should all register our displeasure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭cobham

Since start of Covid I have used a wicker basket with metal frame so never had to bother with the disinfecting of trolly etc. I keep a soft bag at bottom and visiting twice a week I can manage shopping easily. I also often park the basket as it gets heavy so I can go browse about the special aisles then pick up on way back to checkout. I always take the till receipt just in case I get checked but in over 5 yrs now never have been. It is christmas tree or a bag of compost that I have had to struggle to find a coin for a trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭nhg

I haven’t used a basket or trolley since covid, always use my own Dunnes Canvas bag/bags, when empty at the till I fold them flat & leave on top of my shopping so that they know that they are empty & when I open them back up I always pop them up on the counter so they can easily see that they are empty…

I shop daily or every second day for what’s needed so no food waste in our home (only 3 of us) …

I use my own bags in Dunnes, SuperValu, Lidl & Aldi and no one has ever said anything about it, maybe if shopping in a Dublin store or a large city it might be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Another non recommendation. Giannis Cornish Raspberry Ripple ice-cream. €4 for a 1 litre tub, so pretty expensive for Aldi and it's not good at all. I find the ice cream products in Aldi pretty poor in general, they're much better in Lidl. Also detest those shopping baskets in Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Speaking of ice cream, has anybody tried (either on purpose or by accident) their doggy ice cream?

It is actually ice cream for dogs but it's placed in the freezer right in the middle of the normal stuff between their faux Cornettos and something else. I'm sure some people must buy them by mistake and wonder why their tub tastes like peas 😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If you like individual ice cream bars, the fake magnums and fake soleros are really good. And the fake icebergers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The salted caramel fake magnums are really good - if you can get them. I hate Aldi's multi variety merchandising - like having to take a load of pizzas or ice creams out of the freezer to find the variety you want.

I have to do it with ready meals, pizzas, dog food etc. I complained to Aldi & got a long reply thanking me, saying how much they care etc & then one sentence saying that they won't be changing their policy !

• Advertisement

Their business model is no frills to keep costs down. You don't see staff merchandising like in Dunnes, Tesco etc.

I agree it's a pain in the arse, especially when stuff is at the back of high shelves and you're 5ft 3!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my main issue with the large plastic baskets is they're often not kept clean. there's simply too much surface area in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is this thread not about Aldi food recommendations? 🤔 can we leave all the talk about the bloody baskets? no one wants to read pages about their baskets.

I personally dislike salted caramel as a flavour (in general) but the caramel millionaire version are not bad.

My preference would be almond, then milk chocolate, and my daughter loves the white chocolate variety. We haven't tried the mint.

The "exotic fruit" tropicos (soleros) are my favourite, but the berry version is good too.

But like that, sometimes you have to dig through a big pile of berry flavour to find the exotic fruit flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I mean you kind of need to put the recommended food into a basket first in order to buy it, no?

Finding their regular sparkling orange is the worst. It, the sugar free and rock shandy are all just piled in together as an orange mess with similar labels on the top shelf. It's about six deep as well. I'm over six ft tall but still have difficulty.

• Advertisement

Imagine if they all fell on your head when you're trying to find the one you want?

Good point!

The boxes of the specially selected sauces - butter chicken, korma, jalfrezi etc are all mixed up together too!

They're glass jars, and I've actually seen them get smashed on the ground when people were trying to find the one they wanted.

Anyone know if the tubs of peanut butter that look like dupes of Meridian are any good? And if Lidl is better than Aldi or the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I think the Aldi stuff is really bland and not worth the calories. Haven't tried the Lidl PB. Tbh, I only buy Pip & Nut these days, it's a bit more expensive but much nicer than the others (including Meridian).

• Advertisement

Even worse there are hot dishes mixed with mild in similar packaging.

The frozen pizzas are so mixed up. The producers sensibly put the variety on the side of the box. Aldi display them so have to physically remove the ones you don't want in the hope of finding the ones you want.

For example the new sour dough pizzas only have the plain cheese variety in stock because the others are popular & get snapped up.

I don't believe that simple proper merchandising would increase costs.

They're excellent imo. 100% nuts, I add my own flaked sea salt to taste.

Aldi's I've found has a slightly over-roasted taste at times, but there's always some variance with batches I think

The Aldi is very close to meridian (possibly made by them). Find the Lidl a bit more flavoursome - but also a manilife and pip & nut convert. Worth the extra if you really like PB imo.

Perfectly good for normal people though! 😁

I got the Aldi one this time. I mostly use it for mixing with whey protein powder in a shake, so I don't suppose flavour matters much - but if it's nice i occasionally have it on a cracker so hope this one is nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Worst thing about the way they do stock or the one that annoys me the most and has done for years now is the chocolate peanuts/raisins. They come in the same box, the peanuts sell out on day one but the box of raisins hangs around for weeks because nobody wants them but they wont restock until its gone, this has been going on for years now.

First world problems I know.

I was talking with a staff member about the pizzas. He went & got a box to show me. Three varieties are package together - spicy meat feast, the excellent barbecue chicken & bacon & cheese. The majority of the box is just Cheese - so they end up with a freezer full of pizza that few people want.

Edit: I just received this from Aldi

Thanks for getting in touch about your visit to our store.

I'm sorry you couldn't find what you wanted. We try to ensure we don't run out of anything, but some of our lines come in mixed cases, and we have to sell everything in the case before we get a new one.

So, if everyone's scrambling for the chocolate cookies, but no one touches the raisin ones, it could take a while before we can order a new batch.

Thanks for letting us know about this, though. Hopefully, the sourdough chicken and bacon pizzas and other items you need will be in stock by your next visit.

Thank you for understanding. 

Post edited by Discodog on

@Discodog

I can confirm stock of salted caramel fake magnums in Aldi, Belgard Road, this evening. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Is their Sriracha any good? Only €1.49 at the moment but if it's rank i won't bother.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭squonk

Sriracha is sriracha. I’ve had some of their speciality varieties and they’re nice. Think I had their regular one previously. I thought it was fine. Truth be told I haven’t come across any so far I thought were meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

No! This is like saying "ketchup is ketchup" or "mayo is mayo"

• Advertisement

The new Angus 6oz low fat burgers (currently on special - super 6) are nice. very good size unlike the normal low fat options

• Registered Users Posts: 17 STAVI47

I tried the frozen Aldi version of McDonald's chicken selects with bbq dip, cooked them in the air fryer and the kids loved them so I can highly recommend!👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

They have the wheat muffins back in stock in a 6 pk, 3 in each side. Fakeaway McMuffins are back on the menu!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I tried these new icecreams this week..

The white chocolate is super sweet, and the coconut flavour overwhelms everything else.

Sadly, I do not recommend unless you like really sweet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssss, and there's the potato hashbrowns, and vegan sausage patties… (which I bought but didn't try as I've the end of a box of tesco pork ones)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

I might be wrong or have a bad memory but these ones seem smaller than the original ones.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Given the sheer number of thanks on your post, I suspect someone will confirm in the coming days :) (I do remember them being not huge, just right, smaller than the ones I make myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jopper

Has anyone tried the Wagu beef steaks from Aldi? Have gone in 3 separate occasions in past 2 weeks around Aldi’s in Galway and always gone. Plenty of the wagu beef burgers and meatballs though

The muffins appear the same size as before, but the hashbrowns were gone.

• Advertisement

Just received an email from Aldi Ireland.

They are ceasing their Click and Collect grocery service from 19th August 2024.

Oh well, all the more for Dunnes and Tesco.

🤬

Advertisement