Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

You bring up all those deserving cases

On RTE I saw a bloke from South Africa being interviewed.

Good grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

The giving out and tearing down of these expensive "trespass" tents really grinds my gears.

The cycle must be broken.

Let them have their tent and their encampment on the grand canal ( the Dublin 4 section to be specific) for the following reasons.

This is more likely to be the area the political class and parasitic lawyers that are in favour of this live.

It may provide motivation for these powerful people to put something in place to stop the flow.

If the flow isn't stopped no amount of accommodating will make any difference other than rendering Irish a minority in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What is promoting this hard line, hard nosed approach by government. And obvious disdain for the publics opinion.

If its to protect our fairable tax system for companies.

Its pretty pointless if your spending it all on all the world n sundry that just rocks up looking for hand outs.

Is it to give well connected people big contracts? Is it a source of potential cheap labour?

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

This is exactly how the establishment want you to think about the protests. They don't want protesters to be labelled as concerned citizens standing up for communities.

Its actually really sad to see fellow citizens resort to name calling rather than look at things objectively. But its how its all planned. The government are scared of the public revolting on this. Hence the heavy garda tactics and the media being complicit in the reporting of events to intimate people into submission. Full names, addresses and photos of Irish people charged essentially with breaching the peace. I won't go into details, due to boards rules, but open your eyes to what really happened with your 2nd last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Its not derogatory if it's true. Of the 9 people charged the other day, 4 of them lived locally.

The right to protest, does not give people the right to block a highway, or entry to a private establishment, they have forced the closure of a very busy much needed recycling centre.

There absolutely is a prohibition on possession of a knife, it's an offence under Section 9 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons act, 1990

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/act/12/section/9/enacted/en/html

I believe a dog was seized also, clearly wasn't being looked after/controlled properly, and was seized under the control of dogs act

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/html

So, it's fairly obvious that one section of society seem to believe that the law doesn't apply to them. It does and the Gardai showed them that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe there should be local consultation with the local community instead of shoehorning a bus load of unknowns into any area in the country in the middle of nowhere. Sounds very forceful and outright impertinent by our so called betters.

Try putting them into posh addresses more often if you can. Loads of amenities and job opportunities for these doctors and engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Is the dog the one in the video belonging to the man who was pushed to the ground by the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

That's actually a very good question! Any dog worth having will certainly try to protect its owner..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any dog(s) that see their owner being pushed to the ground by a group of men is going to ve distressed, very hard to control your dog as you're being pinned to the ground. Equally plenty of people who work in construction would have a stanley knife in their workwear pockets.

People need to open their eyes and be objective. If the gardai want a charge against you, they will find something to do you for. Question what they're doing, 'oh you're failing to comply'……..

• Advertisement

Any dog owner that loves their dog Shouldn't be bringing then to a protest like that then, and if they do, they shouldn't put themselves and their dog in the middle of it. Very easy to walk away, before being forced.

Anyone working in a job that needs a knife, can bring their knife to work. Not to a protest. I linked the legislation above.

Why shouldnt someone bring their dog?

I certainly wouldn't anticipate being pushed to the ground by Gardaí if I were protesting peacefully.

It's one thing to take someone by the arm and place them under arrest if they are breaking the law.

It's another thing entirely to push them to the ground when they haven't physically been aggressive towards you.

If I pushed someone to the ground that I disagreed with, it would be called assault.

As I said, Plenty of time to get out of the way before being forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Funny you should say that, listening to the news yesterday and there was some guy from one of the many NGO's that support AS and he was whinging about the cut to the money that AS receive that the government announced and he was saying there was consultation but I bet he is happy when the government dropping bus loads of AS in communities all across the country without any consultation and with the heavy handed the support of the Gardai. Hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Amen. God forbid they plonk anymore on our doorstep. We got our hands full with those whore here already

Any future influx of muslim refugees Sudani, Palestinian etc etc arriving here should be flown straight to Jeddah, Riyadh, Kuwait etc etc

after the traumas they have experienced, we cannot expect them to sleep in tents.

Also, they will be amongst their own kind in a muslim country instead of being expected to adapt to our ways. That might well be the straw that breaks the camels back. So to speak .. and they do not deserve that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Contrast the Palestinian protests at Trinity who barricaded the Book of Kells with those protesting asylum seekers being placed in their small villages. The coverage is worlds apart.

The media here were absolutely gushing at those Trinity students with lots of articles backing the protests and the individuals involved. It was seen as a great victory and example of people power when a few students withheld access to the Book of Kells to further a political agenda.

Those protesting IP seekers being placed in their locality are castigated and labelled as being sinister and unlawful. As you say, protests are presented highly unfavourably and those protesting have their names and addresses published.

It's a total double-standard, people aren't blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Justifying strong arm/ violent tactics by An Garda Síochána - the protectors of the peace.

Oh what levels we fall too when blinded by our superiors.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Gardai were there upholding the laws of our land, those that were arrested, broke those laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Is it to give well connected people big contracts? Is it a source of potential cheap labour?"

These two are definitely in the mix. Which is why I find it extraordinary that parties who are supposed to defend the rights of ordinary workers like Labour/ Soc Dems, PBP etc.. have fallen in line with policies undermining Irish workers in terms of work, conditions and services. Have they no eyes to see with anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The polls show that over 75% of the people are against our current immigration free for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The govts own figures show that the majority are bogus.

Just under 60 percent of all asylumapplications, which works out at 5,197, were refused last year. (2022)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

With the media and the government controlling the narrative protesters should be avoiding these confrontations at all costs. As soon as the heavies arrive preparing to engage the protesters should just go homeand come back later. The guards don't have the resources to keep sending in the heavies so they need engagement. The protesters just need to avoid that to win.

That's a very disappointing response. Anyone who actually cares about human rights will defend a right to peaceful protest.

Your post actively supports violence by a member of an Garda Síochana.

I wonder if you realise that An Garda Síochana translates to "Guardians of the Peace".

Any attitude that actively supports violence, but especially violence by law enforcement officers is indicative of a dictatorial attitude, with no respect for democracy.

Disturbing!

D

Nothing at all wrong with peaceful protests. peaceful protests take place in Dublin every single week.

I know exactly what An Garda Siochana means, I also know what the law means and if someone is breaking the law, Gardai will deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

An Garda Siochana only uphold laws when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fair enough.

Not sure why you'd be lumping the two together though.

As regards Tóibín

I wouldn't be an Aontu voter but he's a solid pragmatic politician only major problem being he's not fully committing to the EU seat. That'll harm his chances greatly and it's the one reason he'll struggle to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

I know, its totally Kafkaesque ..

Our government is working actively against its people .. mcentee (trying scare off any protest with her hastily scrambled Hate Laws "Agree or else !!!"),

the media also [ in the pocket of the Irish givernment] : Joe- you cant say that-duffy, claire byrne, brendan o connor all Silenced with obscenely fat salaries .. will be remembered for their part in the Great Betrayal of our country

.. still, i notice .. a bit like the Stop Oil protests, the light is beginning to dawn .. blinkers are lifting ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Even if that Red C poll from last year was correct, there's no guarantee whatsoever this would transfer to votes in an election. It's a big leap to think that voters in an election are going to base their vote solely on immigration / asylum seekers and on nothing else, as if all other issues affecting people's lives at present are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

It's not a large percentage when the 75% want the complete opposite. It's less than the no side on abortion and gay marraige.

Don't you worry, I will.

While I'm m certainly no fan of the government I accept the support levels of the three parties combined is around 45%.

And every Irish man.

Any rational person should be in favour of freedom of speech and freedom of expression too. Catholicism has caused untold misery and damage to society but I also respect people's rights to practice their religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Just been listening to an interview with some people living in direct provision who have been given notice to leave their accommodation, they have been granted permission to remain in Ireland and are working, one was on disability so not sure if he's working.

Anyway they're not happy because although they don't want to be still in direct provision accommodation they would rather stay because they can't afford to go anywhere else.

Welcome to the club lads, I directly provide accommodation to my 2 children in their 20's, they would rather not be there but can't afford to go anywhere else.

Advertisement