Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Do you agree with a leasehold model for housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Par for the course. Ground rents for private housing, a relic from older days, have been abolished since the British left. Denying that reality is silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,850 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not generally. If defined for certain types of property and the leaseholder is not a private investor, I think it could work.

Ground rents for private housing,

The poster didn't say that. Give it up. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The idea of a left coalition is fantasy. In the first instance, PBP/RISE will never enter government. They exist to protest and pontificate, the idea of governing or compromising is anathema to them. Paul Murphy is one of the only TDs to criticise the Hate Speech bill, but realistically he would have no problem with the state using the law against those who disagree with them, he just knows he'll never ever be in government to exercise that power himself.

The on top of that, how could Sinn Féin and the Greens agree to govern when Sinn Féin oppose just about every environmental policy the government brings in? They'll always claim the environment is a top priority for them, but that the steps taken to reduce emissions, or protect wildlife shouldn't involve any effort or change on anyone's part. Sinn Féin aim for the "D4 bike riding Greens are out to kill real rural Ireland" vote; one of the their top TDs described the prospect of the Greens losing all their seats in the next election as the "best case scenario".

Then you've Labour, the SDs, Aontú who'll all have their own demands too.

But even if they'd overcame those issues and united all the parties other than FF and FG in a coalition, they'd have needed 13 Independents to get the slimmest possible majority. A majority which would always be on a knife edge and where all it'd take to collapse the government would be for a single disgruntled TD from any of the 10+ factions in the coalition to defect.

• Advertisement

The Greens would have no problems with a SF coalition. They'd do what they are doing now, moralise and pontificate to everyone else and turn a blind eye when it comes to holding onto to their comfy seats in government.

Of all our political class I disrespect them most tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

😂

Yes a political party which set out an agenda and then tries it's best as a small partner to deliver on that agenda, the agenda which people voted them in for

Of course you disrespect them 😂

Hilarious

Better off idolising a party of incompetence from top to bottom

Yeah, the good republicans hate the Greens because the Greens stand by their principles. The Greens will leave this government with some solid achievements - Metrolink, Dart Plus, BusConnects, carbon tax increases, Climate Action Act, retrofitting grant schemes, childcare improvements, traffic changes in Dublin City - all core priorities of the party. The Greens won't be bothered by losing seats, because they will have achieved real permanent change.

The good republicans in Sinn Fein are in the process of selling out on every single principle they ever had - anyone remember the years of opposing the Special Criminal Court for example? They have one core priority - Brits Out - and if they go into government, progress towards this core priority is likely to go backwards.

The Greens therefore are the complete opposite of Sinn Fein.

then tries it's best 

Really? I'll let a former Green Party member explain it:

The Green Party over the last two decades is devoid of strong principled leadership, just at a time when it is really needed. There is an ethos of compromise and playing the game, whatever the politics of the day. There is an ideology that the Green Party can be all things to all people. A sense that the party is lucky if it can get into government, and no matter what main party is in the driving seat, we can tack on to it and get some of our policies adopted, like a sucker-fish alongside a great white shark. We are the ‘tack-on party’, never to be leaders, always the scapegoats for anti-green outrage and at the same time a supplier of the best stolen ideas.

They'll 'tack themselves on' to whosoever offers them comfortable seats. They'd have no dilemma entering a SF coalition in other words.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-im-leaving-green-party-conor-coady/

Wiped out in the 2011 GE and looking like another one at the next GE. I think they are 'hated' by more than republicans and Sinn Fein TBH

• Advertisement

In my previous post I noted that the Greens won't be bothered by losing seats, because they have achieved real permanent change. Power doesn't matter to them if they can't achieve change.

Sinn Fein are the new Fianna Fail, the achievement of power is the objective, not the welfare of the people, not the future of the country. Each and every policy is up for changing if that is the populist way. From penal tax increases, to the Special Criminal Court, to open borders for everyone, Sinn Fein has changed its policies over the last few years, all in a desperate attempt to achieve power. Not just changed its policies, after all, every political party makes adjustments in policy from time to time, but Sinn Fein have completed huge u-turns, following the people, not leading them.

Real leadership is about bringing change when it is the right thing to do, and now wavering from that. The Greens have demonstrated that leadership throughout this government, while Sinn Fein have done the opposite.

The Greens will lose seats in the next election but they will be back. More importantly, the legacy of their achievements this time around will live on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Conor Coady sounds awfully like a fool who has no idea how effective politics work and is more concerned with upending the world order than actually productively fighting climate change.

And yet accomplished far more than any of the perennial opposition ever have.

I think they are more and more redundant tbh. Membership of the EU requires all parties in government to implement green policies.
    The next wipeout may be the last one for them.

Ahh its the online army picked the Greens and went after them for a few years now. Seemingly been able to achieve goals winded them up no end.

It's all noise from a group that would never vote for them in the first place. Plus the so called "they only got in because of SF transfers" turned out to be bullsh*t as well but you hear it daily from the SF trolls.

It was funny on Christmas day, no other political thread was active on boards apart from the same few posters moaning about the Greens, couldn't take the day off. The main one saying he/she was voting SF so they would stop the "wind power madness", when I pointed out SF plan was to increase wind and not reduce it, well lets say the "wind was taken out of their sails"

Lets just say they wouldn't be the brightest star in the sky

from a group that would never vote for them in the first place

4.2% in the last poll suggests it's more than a group who have a problem with them.

Sinn Fein are the party of wanting more windmills, but we can't have them within 5km of anyone's house because of noise, and anyone can build a house anywhere they want from the top of a mountain to the bottom of every boreen and we will provide all public services within twenty minutes of them. End result will be there will be nowhere to put a windmill, which will somehow be the Greens' fault.

Sinn Fein are the biggest danger to the Green agenda.

Sinn Fein are the biggest danger to "insert every topic"

They are incompetent, even an alternative budget they couldn't produce

They are a danger to MNC's and all the jobs in Ireland from them, they want to remove LPT, which would reduce the money into county councils. Meaning all the playgrounds and amenities we are getting now will be gone, two huge playgrounds open in our area recently and done by the county council. They would be gone.

Name a topic and its a ramble of incompetence is all you get from them

The only plus would be it might stop them blocking every development in Ireland and driving up the price of houses/apartments as they spend years in court.

All you have is noise from the party, noise from the online clown brigade and incompetence from top to bottom. Drop kicking them into the middle of the atlantic would be no harm for both sides of the border

Contained in this is the reason the Greens are so disliked and disrespected.
    There would be no joy for them unless people where disadvantaged or had their quality of life disrupted or it didn't cost the ordinary person.

The Greens are the greatest danger to the green agenda. Their arrogance and holier than thou preaching puts people off frankly.

They are incompetent, even an alternative budget they couldn't produce

I get that you think a hypothetical budget that doesn't add up is incompetent.

What do you call not meeting the ACTUAL budget you implement?

The main thrust of the council’s latest criticism centred on the Government’s inability to adhere to its own 5 per cent spending rule, which it described as “deeply concerning”. The spending rule seeks to keep the annual increase in government spending inside a 5 per cent ceiling, which is viewed as sustainable for the Irish economy. It was adopted in 2021 but has been broken every year since.

More waffle, the "ordinary person" or the "working class" is fired out but never defined. Just vague waffle.

Years of it now from the same people.

In reality the "ordinary person" wants play ground for their kids, clean air and water to breathe, jobs for them and their children. All of which SF policies will be a disaster for.

So waffle on, some people will buy it, a lot of more sensible people won't.

• Advertisement

Absolutely correct. The non-whataboutery response to you would have been to produce Sinn Fein's alternative budget plans and to explain why they are better than those of the government. However, to be fair to that poster, there isn't a single person in the country who could produce the Sinn Fein alternative budget and explain how it is better.

It is a joke the way that people defend Sinn Fein. Everyone knows that Sinn Fein is against everything, nobody knows what Sinn Fein are for, that is why their support is falling.

When you say they are incompetent, who are you comparing them to?

I presume you mean the government who don't present hypothetical budgets they implement real budgets that as pointed out failed.

Incompetent too? Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You'd need a very creative accountant to include robbing ATMs and washing diesel as income sources, to be fair.

It is quite scary how unrealistic people are about the climate change issues. They think that we can continue to build houses on the top of mountains and at the end of every boreen and still not worry about climate change. That is the mentality of Sinn Fein writ loud and clear. Ignore the problems, pretend they will go away, pay lip service to the ideas. The reality is that if we are to save the planet, protect our children's future, our lives will have to suffer. Sinn Fein pretends this isn't so.

Have you seen Sinn Fein's policy on climate?

https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2019/SF_Climate_Justice_Nov_2019.pdf

Here it is. It is really scary in its ignorance. Their gobbledy-gook on carbon tax is just a start. "All talk of using it for climate action is simply a ruse because the alternatives are not in place". That is just a lie from Sinn Fein, one of many lies that that party promulgates. Here is how the carbon tax is spent, all of it on climate action:

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/273321/07262fac-d631-4b1c-a3eb-1e103bfec2ce.pdf#page=null

Of course, all we will get back is the gubberment this and the gubberment that. Not a single poster will be able to set out clearly how Sinn Fein's climate action policies will be better than the Greens. All we will get is guff and nonsense.

If a political party is receiving revenue from those sources and you know about it doesn't that meand we have incompetent law enforcers and revenue commissioners?

They are incompetent. No comparison needed. If my boss came out tomorrow and said I was incompetent I wouldn't ask him who he was comparing me to would I? (not that he would )

Releasing a alternative budget with errors is incompetent

Launching an insurance bill which would cost everyone more money is incompetent

Their entire portfolio is incompetent

Taking over DCC and ending up with less units than when they started is incompetent

The list goes on

Shouting about houses while blocking them and forcing people on the street is just disgusting behaviour

I fully expect another "what about" post, such is the way

Oh I know, I have looked into it

But honestly in my opinion it is just down to incompetence. When you look at the proposed Minister for Finance is Pearse, who after the faux outrage act has shown again and again his incompetence and we are supposed to thrust this guy with the finance of a country? 140k one week and 100k the next? the level of error is f**king huge.

In private sector someone making a mistake in finances of less than 1% would get fired. That's a 33% error. Total incompetence

Your boss would be comparing your work to a competent worker. Because that is what he wants, a 'competent worker'.

What you are doing is critiquing a hypothetical budget while ignoring the repeated failure of actual budgets.

Takes some level of tunnel vision to do that.

• Advertisement

"tunnel vision"

Look in the mirror a chara

As I said before, at the moment Ireland is one of the best countries in the World to live in.

I did post the comparison to give a reference, instead of tackling the issues which I mentioned in regards to Sinn Fein instead you went after that part.

Couldn't even bother defedning the incompetence of Sinn Fein, says a lot really

Advertisement