Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Augme

While every promoted club objective is to stay in the Premier league, they possibly took a more long term approach to achieving that last summer. They invested in a long of young players. I think they have the strongest chance of bouncing back to the PL next season than Luton and Sheffield. I can't see a huge amount of their players being in demand in the summer either so they might have a good chance of keeping most of their players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Paqueta charged by the FA for intentionally trying to be booked to affect the betting markets.

Could be in massive trouble for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He was linked with a big move as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

West Ham the biggest losers as they were likely planning their business around that big sum coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stupid that it's taken the entire season for the charge tubbe brought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This stuff shouldn't be released until it's proven he did it.

Regardless of whether he did it or not he'll always be looked at as a dodgy character now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I wonder was there an unconscious decision made because they put the boot into several smaller teams already, all the while city stroll to a 4th consecutive title....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I agree but there's no way they could've kept it quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fvckbim,but moreso fvck the bookies, and the EPL for allowing this spot betting, and for promoting these bookies.

The bookies deserve everything they get, they get caught and have to pay out for a suspected spot bet, and cry to the league 'Oh poor us, we have to pay out'... Fvck them!!!!

Gsme is rotten to the core - that said this guy is a fool if he was involved given the risk of getting caught and what he had to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Sky Sports news reporting Utd have held talks with Kieran McKenna’s representatives. Not looking good for Utd for the FA Cup final now with most of the squad seeing in the media they are up for sale and now the manager seeing the club talking to candidates to replace them. I say none of the want to play in or be part of that final.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Era it's football. There's always something. I'd say they'll just get on with it and go play the match as best they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

He was about to sign for City when all of this broke. We can’t have them wasting money now can we !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

go play the match as best they can.

for some of those players, thats been the issue all season.

i dunno if i'd be more annoyed if they tried on saturday (why didnt you do that all season?) or carry on as per normal.

not conceding after 20s will be a start!

i think if the game is played 10 times, utd win maybe twice, 2 draws and 6 city wins. just need that bit of luck to drop your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Of course. Up is down and down is up. As someone else said on here, you’re just being a contrarian. Everton’s football is dogsh*t. Hoofs from Pickford. It can’t be argued. But anyway…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

you just dont get it. eagle eye by name and also eagle eye by nature. he picks up on things you will never see.

he be playing chess while we are playing checkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Five home wins on the bounce to finish to finish the season so I'm happy enough with our dog#@$t football.

No one in Ireland cared when big Jack was playing the same football and bringing Ireland to world cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

No one in Ireland was paying through the nose to watch/endure that 19 times a season.

What we were seeing in Ireland was the potential to compete, to dare to dream. Everton are a club that has won things in the past but has spent the entire decade of the 20s trying desperately to avoid getting relegated. I watch a lot (too much) football and Everton have been chronic this season, definitely from an entertainment value. This is the club with fans who chased one of their better players, Anthony Gordon, out of the club. Just like West Ham fans didn't like Moyes' football, I doubt that the true Everton fans are enjoying the current "style" from the Toffees. Crystal Palace finished the season more or less like Everton, but their football was a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Funny how they chased big Sam out the gate. Have expectations changed?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I spoke to a mate of mine on this after Sheffield Utd got battered by Arsenal and Stan Collymore tweeted about it. My view was the same as yours, in essence. I can't intuitively understand why teams come up and try to exist in the Premier League with a similar approach as the one they used to get promoted. When they are completely outmatched 1 to 11 at the higher level.

It was explained to me that all of the formal training programs and certs teach keeping control of the ball as a fundamental platform to long term success in football. This is supported by data and case studies at all levels of the game. Playing a possession based style and trying to keep the ball is an essential plank of modern football theory. Every new coach / former player who joins a pro club staff will be taught this way. Younger executives tasked with operational roles at pro clubs think this way. To not think this way puts you at odds with an increasing orthodoxy.

So, if you're Sheffield Utd, you just got promoted the prior year because you implemented a holistic approach to staff recruitment, player acquisition, training, recovery, tactics and on pitch adjustments that you believe in. And it delivered results. Everyone in the club believes in trying to play this way. Your squad fits this approach and your youth structure is aiming to deliver players who can also fit this approach. To play a different more utilitarian style would be to do something you philosophically oppose, is in opposition to your data sets and case studies. But most importantly is not what your players are any good at.

Coaches like Pulis are a dying breed but so are the players who Pulis would have bought to implement his approach. The U.K. academies are incredibly technical landscapes and the pipeline is increasingly full of technically adept players who have limited experience with strategies built around conceding possession and territory to opponents. This will absolutely have an effect on the "tough away days" aspect of the Premier League. We are in an environment where everyone is playing versions of the same framework, and the differentiators are around player recruitment and micro innovations from the tactical perspective. In theory the time is perfect for an "old school" approach, but finding an owner and a front office who would hire someone to implement that is becoming a longer shot.

As such, teams get relegated like this but it's actually in the best interests of everyone involved long term. The coach is doing the right thing so he may get rehired. The squad is ready to immediately get promoted again. The money can be banked and reinvested into a cohesive project that doesn't alternate widely from one manager's style to the next. It's all deeply counterintuitive to how we understood football growing up, but the logic is there…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

For individual teams maybe it makes sense but it's slowly killing the championship as a competition too, with fewer teams competing to get promoted. Parachute payments have to be done away with if teams are just coming up planning to be relegated. The incentive to survive is just not there anymore.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Everton fans understand we need to play football that gets us results. Defence is our strength. Keep games tight and try nick a goal. I'd say Burnley fans would rather their team played like that this season and stayed up instead of trying to play like Barca and get relegated.

Everton had to sell Gordon for financial reasons. Few fans giving him grief had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Very well put.

It is definitely having an effect on the "competitiveness" of the league. As you said when all teams are playing the same fundamentals then it stands to reason that those with more resources will be able to implement these better.

The less technical players are very likely not making it out of youth football anymore as they are just simply seen as not good enough footballers to persist with. So I guess there is less of a pool to pick from to build your "anti" team.

The quality of the football on show is better. I'm not sure it is more exciting.
    The league for example was over once Arsenal lost to Villa realistically as you looked at City's fixtures and knew nobody (bar a slight chance of Spurs but even that was a long shot) would have enough to even live with them.

In years gone by you'd be chasing a team in a title race and looking at away games to Fulham (who had been in form) Forrest (fighting for their lives against relegation) and Brighton and thought well maybe one of those could catch your rival out.

An away game against a team fighting relegation near the end of the season used to be a nightmare fixture. Now it's a walk in the park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Apparently not given the Burnley chairman essentially gave Kompany carte blanche to do what he wanted and stated he 'was not going to ever fire him'. Now Kompany is off to Bayern having won two games against non-relegated PL opposition and Burnley are back in the Championship. Strange times we live in.

• Advertisement

It’s homogeneous and increasingly sterile alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Newcastle treating the post-season games with the contempt they deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yeah it really felt that way alright and I dont think anyone would have given Arsenal much chance of winning all of the last 6 games either.

Nope!

Utd are doing the right thing here. The FA Cup is immaterial to the broader expectations and ambitions of the club. ETH demonstrated he was not at the required level.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You say that like Newcastle weren't the ones who organised it.

Correct, I should have said "Newcastle players". Lads are probably on the piss in Oz for the week and togged out for 45mins each while hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's been said for a few weeks that the decision was made and he was gone once INEOS had done their internal review. He was effectively auditioning for the job for next season. That was coming from a few well placed lads who used to get little bits of info.

There's clearly leaks within that squad/club anyways with the amount of stuff that has come out over the last few years.

Very weird timing that it's gotten out to the press now though, officially, on the eve of the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

This is what Gordon said “I did want to leave, but also, the club did have to sell me. The way it played out was that I was desperate to leave and that was never really the case, I just wanted to fulfil my ambitions. But I never was bothered about wanting to change people’s minds, if they believe what they read, it’s fine by me.” I just think that if you are getting chased by "fans" after training, it makes it a lot easier to leave.

However, I will admit that you probably know more about this, as a fan. By all accounts he put in a transfer request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Newcastle were invited to play in the A-Leagues All Star Game. Man Utd, Juventus and Barcelona were invited in previous years.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t be happy. I’m just saying Everton play poor football.

If Southgate comes in, we riot. Pooch will be the same and McKenna is a big gamble that I wouldn't mind. Now get rid of the players. Absolutely awful timing before a final.

Southgate won’t be in. Timing just doesn’t work. Remember what Loputegi did?

Lopetegui did that behind Spains back though, which was the problem. Think England would wish him well if he was offered the Utd job at this stage - the timing difficulty more comes in how he would be received at Utd… have a good tournament and he’d be on a media high, but have a bad tournament and the knives would be out before he began.

Think he’s a bad choice regardless, but more so for actual coaching reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

yeah, that’s what I meant. Has a good tournament and he might fancy a crack at the WC. Get knocked out and Utd might regret hiring him.

Think if he was actually going to Utd, it'd be sorted before the Euros - so a good tournament would only help his perception going into the United job, but yeah a bad one would definitely be very troublesome… not by United execs exactly, but more so by fans, starting on a big negative.

A bad choice regardless though, just can't see him being a top level club manager. What good attributes he has suit the international game. Poch is the one that makes the most sense to me - he's the one I'd be worried about as an opposition fan. Tuchel is decent, but feels very short term - hasn't lasted more than 2 full seasons at any higher level club, and tends to be quite spiky and falls out with people quickly, like a slightly tuned down Mourinho. Poch feels like the one who could actually build something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Good cup manager. United are a cup team these days so it could work out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Surprised Potter hasn’t been linked with the Utd job.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Augme

Really cant understand how Kieran McKenna is being talked about for the Chelsea and United jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Red flags all over the McKenna to United deal.

If he was'nt involved with United before i could almost understand taking a punt on him, almost,

but the fact he was second in command under Mourinho AND Ole when the football played was turgid speaks volumes.

The spoilt brats masquerading as players that are at United will eat him alive.

The only thing funnier that united appointing McKenna would be them appointing Gareth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Those players apparently weren't happy with his coaching sessions either when he was there and there's still 15 or so of them there so I can't see it going well at all if he gets the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What Untied need to do is hire the biggest bastard they can find and let him gut that squad, i'm talking 20+ players out the door no matter what length of contract they have and absorb that financial hit, bring in enough players on short term contracts to avoid relegation and start from scratch next summer.

Simeone is the only answer for that job, crazy he has'nt been linked already.

If united hire McKenna they'll be fighting relegation next year. Yep, i said it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement