Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Mr. B

Have you ever investigated any possible treatments outside Ireland ?

As I found out with the Noctura, we live in a small country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As Ebbsy has alluded to. Was your finger clean? The smallest bit of sugar laden debris can affect the BG reading.

At the time you 1st started posting about Noctura and your visits to Newcastle I had taken an initial look. In the interim though, other health issues conspired to cause early retirement and it's been on the back burner since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't know why but as a T1DM this cracked me up considering some of the stupid stuff I have said while having hypos:

https://youtube.com/shorts/I23S9zouSac?si=brAvjXbXlQCxJ3Kq

• Advertisement

Ah, my mistake. I have, I've even travelled to the UK. I was waiting on an appt with a renowned guy in London and he actually recommended a guy in Cork. I saw him 1st in Feb and went ahead with surgery. It was a 70/30 chance of success.

Unfortunately, I'm in the awkward 30%. I'm back in with the surgeon at the end of July and there are additional options. It's been hard to take, the initial 10 days after the op were the longest in 5yrs I've not needed pain meds. It was great while it lasted.

But? I'm confident that it at least underscores the surgeon is on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Hi all. I have been put on Ozempic after metformin basically stopped working. My post meal numbers were pretty awful and now are really good on 0.5mg of Ozempic. However, I feel shaky and weird a lot, especially after breakfast. Also, I have a kind of "hungry but not hungry" feeling where I am thinking about food a lot but if you put a meal in front of me I wouldn't actually want it. I feel full, yet I am thinking about food in a way I wasn't when my blood sugar was higher. It's very odd.

Is this just an adjustment period while my body is getting used to lower blood glucose levels?

If you are on 0.5 then you are probably only on month 2. Nothing you describe is out of the ordinary. Expect the weight to start falling off you. I'm down from 110kg to less than 75kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

How difficult was it for you to get a pharmacist to supply you? I was prescribed last year and I still can't get it filled.

Do you mean it's normal to have this weird mental hunger when my blood sugars are now excellent? Why is that?

I can only dream of weight loss. I lost 3 lbs on 0.25, gained 2 back on 0.5, and feel terrible to boot. I hope 1mg will bring me better results in terms of how I actually feel.

My pharmacy have me on a list for their long-term illness clients. However, there are other pharmacies in my town that have it. Most supply issues are with the starting dose, so if you can get the .25 even for one month, then you can keep moving up. The 1mg and 2mg doses are easier to source.

Where are you based?

yeah it kinda f*cks with your head a bit. surprised you managed to gain weight. Has the nausea kicked in yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I'm in Dungarvan at the moment. I've rang around all the local pharmacies (and the neighbouring villages as well). I'm due to go back to the consultant this month, I might see if there's anything he can do.

Would be worth trying further afield. Might also be worth asking your normal pharmacy if they tend to get a supply of the higher doses.

I had nausea, reduced appetite, and small weight loss after a month of 0.25mg. .5mg has given me amazing BG numbers, but is like taking water otherwise and as I said I gained back two of the three pounds I had lost. I looked online and many people report this strange phenomenon. Apparently, the therapeutic dose is between 1 and 2mg and these are the doses used in clinical trials. Lower doses are not considered therapeutic for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Romero

Hi folks type 1 diabetic here just wondering if people are getting regular appointments with their diabetic clinics? I used to be seen once every 6 months in Tallaght type one clinic but that went out to 12 months and now after Covid I'm 18 months and still haven't got called in for a checkup. Also lost the once a year podiatrist check up.

Just wondering if anyone in Dublin clinics has the same delays or are seen more regularly?

I had a chat with my GP about going on Ozempic as I've a terrible habit of snacking in the evenings and have a put in a good bit of weight, he has prescribed me Trulicity for me, I'm going on holidays in a few weeks so based on the side effects I think it wise to wait until I return

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume its that your body was used to being high, correct me if I misread your situation, so the body sets a new "normal". Happens with type 1s who have been running high for awhile. Get back in range and the hunger is crippling until you adapt. Apologies if this is not what you are referring too.

This weird hungry but not hungry feeling came back when I got up to 1mg and it is making me very anxious. Off to see my doctor tomorrow, but wonder if the problem is that I am still on metformin x 2 a day. The pharmacist said most people are only on one metformin pill when on Ozempic. The Ozempic has massively reduced my thirst, frequent urination, and heat intolerance (although LOL not that I need that now) as well as my blood sugar, but this feeling is awful. I also am feeling pretty down and unmotivated.

i am still on 2 1000mg metformin a day alongside the ozempic. the hunger thing is weird alright. some days i had to force myself to eat. 2 years on though and its fine and i've lost a third of my body weight and my blood sugars are normal.

a question for those on ozempic (or any weekly injection) and other medications. What is your schedule for getting refills? before the ozempic it was straighforward. i would refill it every month. with the ozempic they dispense 4 weekly doses at a time. so i need to get that refilled every 4 weeks. so i have been getting everything refilled on a 4 week basis to save me a trip to the pharmacy. the pharmacist pulled me aside yesterday and said i should only be getting refills every month. for the ozempic it will be the same schedule except one month in the year i will get 2 4-week doses. is this how everybody else does it?

My pharmacy tries to ensure 28day prescription dispensing as it's far more efficient and negates the need to open & split boxes as per 30/31 day scripts.

The only one of my diabetes repeats it really affects is my G7 sensors. They claim rebate on those via community prescribing scheme and it's done as you describe. It shouldn't really affect the patient but, the pharmacy needs to ensure their admin for claim is on a 1 script per month basis which can catch you out if your on a strict 28 day cycle.

thee pharmacy insist they can only claim for one script a month. it is all a bit annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

No ozempic in my pharmacy again… it was going okay for a few months. 🙁

So today I was in the Eye and Ear for an eye scan. I have not been there for a few years but the Opticians in Newcastle where I get the Noctura 400 mask asked me to go back as they wanted to know that their opinion matched Dublin's.

Anyway the scans today turned out to be stable. They still do a great job in that hospital.

Only problem is that they have no plans yet to dispense the mask here. Apparently it is in all UK hospitals and saving the NHS £3,000 per patient.

Oh Well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I've been diabetic type 2 since 2010 and there was a time i felt sorry for my self and was in denial. i actually gained 3 stone and ended up back in hospital and got a lecture from my doctor which saved my life. There was a period where i felt sorry for my self and there was times i was scared, diabetics have all these feelings without having family members feeling sorry for us. Because to be honest as much as it sucks, it has been a blessing because I've managed to keep the weight off.

my suggestion instead of feeling sad for ur sister research type 2 diabetes encourage her and research it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Messed up with the replacement of a Dexcom G7 yesterday. Was getting notification of the old one about to expire, thought it was towards the end of the 12 bonus hours so stuck in the new sensor. Wasn't the bonus, was just the regular 10 days expiry.

But unlike how the Libre used to work with the time starting from when you first scan, the G7 knows when it was actually inserted... So lost my bonus 12 hours.

Mild annoyance, but as they only give 3 sensors per month those bonus hours can be important to keep the closed loop running.

Advertisement