Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 notes being refused

Options
  • 24-05-2024 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Just came across this in Costa, Nutgrove. Joe Duffy was mentioning a sharp increase in “physical scams” (versus cyber scams), so now it’s looking like our €50 notes are currently “useless”.

A number of ATMs now don’t dispense anything smaller.

Anyone find this happening anywhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nah they just don't want to carry enough change in the tills.

wouldn't take long for a few 50s to empty it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

Virtually all ATMs dispense €20 notes, and quite a few (mostly AIB) have €10 notes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

So effectively a kick against the banks being so fond of €50 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Vote with your wallet and give someone else the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The non bank located ATMs are a haven for distribution of forged notes by organised crime, has been for years

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I use 4 ATMs regularly. 3 of them dispense €50s by default. The fourth uses €20s about half the time only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

Do you always look for multiples of €50s?

Any ATMs I use, I always look for €80 or €120 or similar, and have never failed to get the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I travel to the UK a lot and their "national" note is the 20 pound note. Here its the €50 note anyone that says otherwise doesn't use cash here very much.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A few weeks back I had €400 in €50 notes freshly withdrawn out of an ATM machine, of the 8 notes I couldn't get a single note to match up with another in terms of where the watermark was placed, where the metal stripe was positioned, where the printing had started and ended/paused on the paper. All had the fancy ink green colour tech for the amount and proper holographic transparent stripe. I am of the opinion something very dodgy is going on with the €50 phyical notes, I know they are printed by different central banks througout Europe but it's very odd to see such differences in them, has the note being compromised?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I used to work in a betting shop. 10am each day, I would open my till with a 20, 2 x 10s, a 5 and some change and the worst thing in the world would be this aul fella in for the virtual racing who'd lay on a E2 bet and pay with a 50.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I believe its because the likes of the small ATMs you find inside shops, garages etc, are filled by the shop staff, not by a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've heard of £50.00 notes not been taken in the UK.

Sounds like Costa trying a similar policy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Assuming for a second that what you're saying is true (it isn't), what does that mean? That the workers in Centra and Mace and Circle K who are doing the filling are being coerced into filling them with dodgy notes by the Kinahans or whatever? Multiple people, across many varied locations, with God knows how may points of failure?

Really?

Is that more believable than a made-up urban legend posted on Boards without a single shred of evidence to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't know about the rest of the features but the placement of the metal strip on all euro banknotes has a variance of a couple of millimetres, it's to help them stack evenly when they're in ATM cassettes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

no 50 euro notes now.. get you used to that… them calling the shots then in a few years, no cash full stop.

They will blame the prevalence of forged every kind of note. High costs of security, cash processing etc…

Look at Costa’s profits, not exactly struggling. A seriously healthy multimillion euro profit last year.

This is how it starts….

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes that makes a lot of sense, could be €200k in a machine at one time.

I suppose when the positioning of that is moved the rest of the general security configuration of the note moves too, the hologram in exactly the same position also likely to cause problems loading/unloading notes from the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

More likely that forged €50 notes are used to buy a low value item and the customer is given legit notes in their change.

The shop assistant then unknowingly fills the ATM with a mixture of genuine and forged notes. As mentioned before it's the shop that fills these, not banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

I never claimed it was banks.

Anyone who thinks they're being filled by the staff working in a shop needs their head examined.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not the shop staff that's for certain. The ATMs are serviced by professionals who work for the banks/ATM providers who replace used cassettes of cash with full ones. They drive around in unmarked vans and you'd barely notice them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Some retail ATMs are indeed filled by shop staff. Or certainly used to be, anyway.

They used to be, I didn't know that had changed. It's a bid mad that people are driving around in vans full of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It doesn't work very well that way ;-)

I spent some time testing note readers for retail project. I was handling hundreds of notes a day then changing them out for a new lot of notes. I also spent some time trying to obtain fakes for testing - not legal but how do you test otherwise? Found motorway type service stations and large garages the best place and many at the time had them pinned up in the office as a warning to others. So I've seen a good few fakes.

You'd be excused missing a good fake €50 in a batch of used notes, if you were in a hurry counting them, but anyone should be able to spot even a really good fake if they handle a single note. I'd go as far as to say anyone who can't spot a forgery should be sacked.

I also discussed with people who had the fakes how they had been passed. Clueless staff was one answer but the biggest single reason was hard pressed staff who were in a hurry to process a transaction. The worst fake I ever saw was a €5 printed on a school copier and past during school lunch hour when the shop had a queue of kids out the door. That €5 was so bad you only had to look at it to see it wasn't real but pick your moment and you can get away with almost anything. Another company I know that got caught with a few fake €50's who got them in with a large amount of €50's when someone paid cash for a large ticket item. Individually you could see they were wronguns but if you only saw half when counting them then most people would have missed it.

I'm not saying there aren't some good fake €50's out there but really guys I would expect anyone here to spot them. In fact if you were blind you'd probably know they weren't right as the feel of the paper quality of a fake is often "wrong".

A UV light in the till draw imo is the simplest answer. You only need see how a real note looks under UV a few times to spot a fake.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Some do fill their own but most don't. It could be possible to fill it with forged notes but the machines do check they are legitimate notes so don't issue them and report it. Do you really think nobody thought of this when they were doing a security assessments?

It's mad that there's so many if they're easily spotted and the ATMs reject them.

You'd want a brass neck to knowingly try to spend one, I'd look very suspicious and shifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

People still use cash? 😲

Nah kidding, I still have some cash, but use cash perhaps one day a year if I need to repay someone or similar (if they don't have Revolut/Paypal)

But… I guess this is another reason to go cashless…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I deal with €50 notes on a daily basis. Haven't seen a dodgy one in over 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I'm 9 years in the UK and have never used a £50 note. I have had one in my possession less than 4/5 times.

In Ireland as said above 50€ would be almost the default note

Advertisement