Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School kids in uniform buying booze.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,791 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Schools don't give a flying fúck about things like this, they have enough to be worrying about.

Basically if it isn't happening on school grounds or when their insurance is obliged to cover it, they don't want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

"The possession or consumption of alcohol in school, in school uniform or on school related activities in
    this country and abroad is strictly forbidden, regardless of the student’s age. Nor may any student enter a
    licensed premises, buy or consume alcohol whilst in school uniform or otherwise clearly identified as a
    student of the school. Any breach of this rule will be considered a serious disciplinary matter and will
    automatically incur a minimum of three days’ suspension. Repeat offending will be considered as worthy
    of expulsion."

• Administrators Posts: 14,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

They are 6th years who are all finished school now. My lad finished today and the 18 year olds are gone drinking with their teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They actually don’t, unless you are breaking the law or bringing their business into disrepute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Leaving cert students finishing up their school term on a half day, we done in thirty years ago at finishing day and didn’t do any harm. More worrying things in schools like bullying going totally un checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wearing a company’s uniform does not give them any power over you. People are free to act as they like within the law.

A person or company cannot just decide they have power over you. Ludicrous notion. If somebody agrees to behave a certain way in uniform, that’s a different matter. But it’s entirely based on a legal agreement not putting on a uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You only get the uniform to put on if you agree to to the code of conduct that goes with it.

I guess it will totally blow your mind to know that in Ireland, people working as public servants are not allowed to be involved with political parties at all. Irresepctive of whether their public-service job is public-facing. Similarly members of the army aren't allowed to be involved with a range of activities, in our out of uniform - and there are MPs who actively look for people breaking the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Assuming that every single company that has a uniform has contractual terms like that, and thus putting on any uniform is what gives them power is likely your mistake.

I guess it will totally blow your mind to know that in Ireland, people working as public servants are not allowed to be involved with political parties at all. Irresepctive of whether their public-service job is public-facing.

What would that blow my mind? It's extremely logical and obvious.
    The fact you think that being "not being public facing" was somehow relevant suggest you don't understand why its in place.
    Being public facing has nothing to do with it.

Similarly members of the army aren't allowed to be involved with a range of activities, in our out of uniform - and there are MPs who actively look for people breaking the rules.

The army? Again that should be obvious. It's not a private company, people who enlist do so under specific terms.

Next you'll point out that astronauts on the ISS still have to follow certain rules on their days off. Shockingly a spin to the pub is not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

They'll be 18, why would they become alcoholics?

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank anyone here who was buying drink for young lads in O'Briens in Bray in the early 00s. Yez were sound, not sure if I'd do it myself, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

There is a thread on here on AH asking "Is any one on here under the age of 40?". From what I can see, the general consensus on that thread is "no, not really".

It's a valuable thread, because when people give their opinions on what happened in their school days on a thread like this one, you know they are talking about stuff that happened 25+ years ago. Ireland and schooling has changed a lot in those 25+ years.

The days of a VP grabbing a yung one out of an offie for buying a naggin of vodka, - despite her being 18 are long gone. Thats a one way ticket to Tribunal Way now a days. That is in fact progress.

• Administrators Posts: 14,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I work in the public service. My public facing colleague currently has election posters up, running in the upcoming local election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

Where was this taken from? You shouldn't just post a random exert from what looks like one specific school's policies. This policy in itself wouldn't hold up in a court of law if the students weren't on school grounds or during normal school hours which it seems like they weren't (Half day on a Wednesday) or more than likely at this time of year final day of school so they're off celebrating finishing up. We did the exact same back in 2010 when I did my LC, straight to Centra for cans when we were finished on a Tues at lunchtime.

I am entitled to post anything which is not forbidden by the rules of Boards. What would stand up in a court of law would need to be tested in a court of law, not an internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

It provided no background or explanation of where it came from. If a school tried to expel a student for buying some cans in their uniform out of school hours and not on school property, parents could easily get this overturned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Whatever about legalities it's not a great look for an off licence to have a bunch of kids in school uniform buying drinks.

Indeed.

Politics has a lack of teachers and doctors, we need to amend this

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

You can and we are entitled so say that your post is nonsense, you haven't advised where its from so you could of just made it up yourself.

If they are 18 they are not kids.

I don't see a problem with it.

The only requirement from the off license is not to sell alcohol to people who are not of age.

Whether people don't think it is a great look or not is irrelevant, they are a business not the morality police.

You don't get this level of pontification from fast food outlets or sweet shops.

I saw it in operation in a local Tesco this week. Two males in school uniform arrived at the checkout behind me, both carrying boxes of beers. The checkout person told them they could not be served in uniform, regardless of age. There were a few schoolgirls waiting at the other side of the checkout, maybe part of their entourage.

Good luck to any parent taking Tesco to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The restriction on political activity applies to civil servants, not public servants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're 18 ffs

They have right of refusal like any licensed premises, as long as it's not on one of the specific legally protected grounds. Same as a nightclub saying "smart dress only" or whatever.

Scrap the cap!

Other amateur lawyers here think that no such right of refusal exists.

You don't get this level of pontification from fast food outlets or sweet shops.

Sometimes you do.

I'm aware of some that refuse to serve children at all during school hours.

And others that have "no more than 2 children in the shop at a time" rules.

Completely legal but perception counts for something as well.

Nobody is expecting shops to police morality.

It is however a commercial decision for a business to protect their image.

If they are happy to have a kid in school uniform walking out of their shop with a case of beer that is their decision to make.

They are not kids (legally)

Most in final year are 18+

Donald Trump 2024

Absolutely as I said it's completely legal for 18 year olds to buy drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭randd1

We used to have to wait an hour or so after school for the bus home.

There was a pub 2/3 minutes walk down from the school. After school, we'd pop down to the pub, a few games of darts/pool, try our hand at the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game, the odd bottle of coke or lucozade, the lads that smoked stocking up. On the rare occasion of a quiet Friday, the publican would serve us a pint. Bear in mind we were all 16/17 at the time so he shouldn't, but on the quieter Fridays once every 5/6 weeks we'd have one and one only and then back up and get the bus home.

Our principal saw us one time and complained, but the bar owner told him we were only playing darts/pool. The principal came to us over it, and one of the lads had the good sense to ask the principal could the school provide after school activities or an earlier bus instead. The principal then passed a rule in the school that students were not allowed to enter any licenced premises in school uniform. So we used to leave our school jumper and school ties in our school bags our pants/shirts could be bought anywhere.

In the end the principal gave up bothering.

No strictly legal from the pub owner, but one pint was your limit and it was once every 5/6 weeks, and for the most part it was just a few games pool and darts.

Great times.

If they are happy to have a kid in school uniform walking out of their shop with a case of beer that is their decision to make.

Again, you seem to struggling with the concept. They can only sell alcohol legally to adults not kids.

I don't really see what being happy has got to do with anything, they are a retail business, their emotions are irrelevant.

I'm aware of some that refuse to serve children at all during school hours.

You are aware of shops and restaurants refusing to serve people based on the fact they are wearing their school uniform?

On what grounds would that be?

• Advertisement

Read what I wrote (school hours) and what you asked about (clothing).

And a business doesn't have to have a reason for refusing to serve someone. They can just say No.

Well no, they don't have to provide a reason.

But there must be a reason, so what is it?

If you look at my posts I have already acknowledged that it is completely legal to sell drink to 18 year olds.

My point is about the optics of having a kid in school uniform walking out of a shop with a case of beer.

Other customers or passers by will not have seen id being checked and may make a value judgement based on what they see.

They may conclude that the shopkeeper is carelessly selling beer to a school kid.

This is the dilemma faced by the shopkeeper and it's up to them to decide what's best for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Course the right to refuse to sell to someone exists but that's up to the shop, not the school.

Usually the no more than x in the shop at a time is because they find it hard to deal with a massive influx of them at lunch time. My local shop has this as about 60 kids each lunch arrive down to get stuff. They wouldn't be able to reasonably manage the shop if they all piled in.

I've never been in a shop that refused to serve children during school hours. Especially if they're near the school as they would lose a large core business segment & that's just not great stratigic planning.

Not to court but they could challenge on them. Tesco sign up to the responsible resellers agreement around alchol (like most supermarkets). I had it with a Supervalu where they refused my ID (which was in date & valid) to purchase a bottle of wine & said they would only accept a passport. I ended up emailing their head office asking where on their policies or under the responsible retailers association guidelines did it say that a passport was the only acceptable ID. They quoted it & then I sent them a screenshot of the section they referenced which showed that passports were just one of the listed acceptable ID's but so was the one I offered. They apologised & said I should have been served.

So yeah while you might not be bringing them to court, you could easily challenge it with them and ask to see the policy whereby they will not sell to those in school uniforms. But they bank on teenagers not being willing to challenge them on this.

My point is about the optics of having a kid in school uniform walking out of a shop with a case of beer.

Again, they are not a kid they are an adult, something they would have needed to prove to purchase alcohol.

And why all of a sudden is it a case of beer, why not a bottle of wine?

Also off licences just don't sell alcohol, they sell all manner of beverages and foods.

They may conclude that the shopkeeper is carelessly selling beer to a school kid.

So what?

Especially if they're near the school as they would lose a large core business segment & that's just not great stratigic planning.

It's excellent strategy: most kids get their money from their parents.

Parents want kids in school during school hours, not mitching at the local sweetshop.

So parents will be more likely to provide money if they know its not going to be accepted during school hours.

To many at a casual glance school uniform=kid.

Could just as easy be a bottle of wine or spirits.

Reputational damage to shopkeeper

So we should base our rules off the fact that nosy gobsh*tes jump to incorrect assumptions about people been underage? What your suggesting is very bad for society.

• Advertisement

Reputational damage to shopkeeper

From Helen who is hyper emotional and lacks the ability of critical thought?

I don't know about you but if I saw someone in a uniform getting carded and then served my automatic assumption is they are legally entitled to buy alcohol.

Think about it, what sort of mis placed confidence would an underage person have rocking up to an off licence in their school uniform?

Exactly.

I'm not suggesting changing the law at all.

I think society will survive kids being refused alcohol when wearing school uniform.

If you saw them producing id and being served of course you would know they are over 18.

On the other hand if you passed them coming out of the shop you might suspect otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

When I was 32 I was refused a bottle of wine in Tesco as I was told they accepted Garda id only and I only had my driving licence AND passport with me. Why in gods name would I bother getting a Garda id card when I was over 30?!?!

Tesco "Think 25 Policy" currently accepts passport or driving licence.

https://www.tesco.com/help/pages/in-store-faqs/information-about-our-stores/age-restricted-items

Have you already forgotten what you posted? The current law is fine but you want another ridiculous step to be taken just because some people in the world don't have common sense, catering for people lacking common sense is not good for society. Kids? Does the school uniform magically turn 18 year olds into 16 year olds?

• Advertisement

If these young adults had a bit of gumption, they would refuse to wear a uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We are a nation of curtin twitchers, always bothered about somebody else is doing.

IDs were checked so it was adults buying booze which is no big deal.

It's not hard to find school rules which expect their students to represent the school in a good light. This one goes on to forbid the purchase of alcohol while wearing the uniform. This could be the reason that certain parents choose these schools.

"It applies to all instances where a student is clearly distinguishable as a Beaufort College student, i.e., when wearing the school uniform.
    Beaufort College is very proud of its students and the school uniform which clearly identifies
    and distinguishes them. Our school uniform is an integral part of our identity as a community
    of learners. Students of Beaufort College wear their uniform with pride. The way students
    present and conduct themselves while in uniform reflects significantly on the public image of
    Beaufort College. Therefore, students wearing the school uniform must always be conscious
    that they represent the entire school community, and as such, their conduct, attitude, and
    manners must reflect our school principles and values."

• Advertisement
Advertisement