Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish White Privilege......Yeah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Not having said anything about guilt, I have nothing to say about that, but my main reason for opposing it is that in an Irish context it is a complete nonsense, and harmful to societal cohesion.

That may be justifiable in the United States' context, where laws and much of society - including the northern states albeit to a lesser extent meant the whole system was designed to prevent black people from succeeding in society. Red-lining was a reality in Chicago for example:

But the racism that exists/existed in Ireland was simply a variant of the racism white people encounter in Asia and in some parts of Africa. Not acceptable, but nothing like what "white privilege" meant in America.

And the claim that the Irish in Ireland are favoured by dint of their skin colour - well, to a Northern Ireland nationalist who was born before the troubles began, that's really quite a stretch of the imagination. The children of wealthy African families studying in the UK or Ireland were far more privileged than any of us were.

And who knows how many of them came from families who made their money through the slave trade? It wasn't white people (and it certainly wasn't my ancestors!) who went into the forests in Africa to capture slaves for the slave trade. WTF do Africans get a pass on that? Because of their skin colour??

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And yet you can't even fathom how this will be divisive in childrens classrooms.

Again I'll ask, who are you to tell any child that they are privileged? What have you (or any teacher) done, that allows you tell a child the colour of their skin is something they should feel privileged about? Do you have an ounce of self awareness at all?

Just because some one gobbled up Critical Race Theory, a product of a clearly messed up humanities departments in US Universities that has spread to our 3rd level institutes, does not give you, or any teacher any right to tell a child in their classroom that they are privileged. You have admitted yourself that there are radical activists in the teaching profession. Perhaps you should be asking yourself if you have been influenced by a radical ideology instead of pointing the finger at everyone else.

How about you answer the question, you said there are radical activists in the Teaching sector, we have had radical activists in the past in Irish classrooms, what if the figure was 5% or 10% of the teaching profession were radical activists, do you not think children should be protected from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But you're the one who is bringing up old history and the slave trade here, right? Not me.

I don't think anyone is going to credibly argue that the experience of black people in Ireland today is the same as that of black people in America — or consequently that the recognition of white privilege in Ireland means the exact same thing as it does in America. But I have personally seen, even recently on the Luas, non-white people who were sitting quietly on the tram being racially abused by adolescents, including a couple who looked to be Chinese/Japanese/Korean who were just singled out for abuse by one teenager who seemed particularly off her head.

You can understand that a black or Asian person who is sitting on a tram might feel less comfortable in certain situations by account of their ethnicity being something that nasty people might single them out for. That's something I don't really have to worry about — and that's also where male privilege comes in where I can generally feel a bit safer on my own on a late train or walking home at night than a girl (bearing in mind my understanding that the curriculum does not refer specifically or narrowly to privilege based on ethnicity but also other types of privilege).

These are just small everyday example that can accumulate if you put yourself into another person's shoes — it doesn't always have to be huge systemic discrimination and it doesn't always mean you get "favoured". It just means there might be certain negative aspects of everyday life you don't encounter because of some characteristic or circumstances — such as your ethnicity, sex, wealth, background, health, able-bodiedness — that other people do. I think I benefit from privilege in some aspects versus some people but also don't benefit from it in other aspects versus other people — and one person can have more privilege than you in one thing but less in another.

Well who is anyone to tell anyone anything? I don't see why your logic of believing that nobody else has a valid right to opinion on education cannot just as easily be turned on you. Ultimately I can just as easily say, who are you to dismiss the lived experience of those (including children) who see others benefit from privileges that they don't? And even at that, the curriculum doesn't just talk about privilege on the basis of ethnicity, but also other types of privilege — the point being that its a multi-dimensional concept wherein a person can benefit from certain types of privilege while also not benefiting from others. A black male benefits from male privilege, an able bodied Indian female benefits from able-bodied privilege, a wealthy person in a wheelchair can benefit from class privilege.

So it's not about telling children that they are just privileged and that's that — it's about acknowledging the privileges they have and also exploring those that they don't. It's not shame or guilt at all — it's the recognition that different people encounter different obstacles in life on the basis of certain characteristics and circumstances. It's the antithesis of division.

As for the teachers thing, I'm not entertaining this. If you want to push an idea that the existence of teachers with more radical views than others (bearing in mind, that also applies to teachers whose views are on the Right) is widespread enough to be considered a pressing urgent risk to our society then by all means you go ahead and compile the evidence to show it and start another thread.

• Advertisement

But you are the one forcing a belief system on children. And then you conveniently dismiss the impact of a radical activist teacher after you admitted they exist.

We had to learn the hard way that priests AND teachers who were given authority to teach kids the nuances of life were often riddled in dysfunction themselves, I see no merit in even entertaining the thought of giving teachers back that authority.

AND yet you still haven't told us, what gives you the right to impose your version of the nuances of life on children that aren't yours? You haven't answered it because you have no answer.

Many of us remember our teachers, most of us will only remember one or two great ones, a few ordinary ones, and as we get older we remember the one's who were as thick as a plank. Teachers are in no position to force a view on any child regarding their privilege.

I'm not forcing a "belief system" on anyone any more so than children being taught about and encouraged to show kindness, decency, manners, respect, tolerance, caring for others, gratitude etc or any other social skill or good personality trait is the imposition of a belief system. We expect schools to teach and encourage these things. Understanding privilege is part of the very same thing.

And privilege isn't about telling children they are privileged, it's also about helping them to understand the ways in which they might lack it. That's a powerful thing. A lot of people who grew up gay in this country might have had a better time of life if schools acknowledged and encouraged students to understand the social and familial obstacles that young gay people faced versus young straight people. Having grown up, and now having heard many of the sad stories of gay friends — I certainly think I would have benefited from better understanding the obstacles and challenges they faced that I didn't because I wasn't gay.

But yeah, I guess I'm a big scary Leftie who wants to tell white kids they should be ashamed of who they are and immediately seek penance.

You are just an ordinary person who has convinced themselves that you are more virtuous than others, that is all you are!! And you want to teach kids to be virtuous just like you, because you are convinced you are right. People like you shouldn't be allowed near children.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭susan678

The last paragraph that you try to pass off as sarcasm is totally the truth.

Nobody has any business telling other peoples children what to think.

I like how you try to deflect telling us about you're fictional gay friends when we all know this is about so called white privilege.

Like I said in a previous post children are innocent they only get they hatred from adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

This is the maddest thread.

Privilege exists. Acknowledging it is no bad thing.

I think of the boys who attend Belvedere College in Dublin. Most of them would be enormously privileged boys, and they're all aware of it. From the ones that come from wealthy families to the ones that are there on scholarships. And all the ones I've met over the years that have come through that school have been the nicest, most grounded, successful people I know.

There's absolutely no harm in recognizing privilege and at the same time there's absolutely no reason to feel guilty or shame about it.

• Advertisement

We are talking about skin colour privilege here, not the privilege of the tiny minority of kids who go to the most expensive private schools in the country….you may have missed the title of the thread.

Do you think so we should remind black kids that they are privileged to be here in Ireland and they should be grateful for that privilege and they should be reminded of that all the time in every school in the country?

I think it's important that white kids be made aware of their privilege, yes.

I thinks it's important that kids of non-white heritage are aware that white kids are working on their privilege, but equality won't happen overnight.

As for the rest of your post, I think it's pretty disgusting you think that way.

You think it is disgusting to separate kids on the basis of their skin colour to tell them and remind them of their privilege, yet you also, simultaneously think that kids on the basis of their skin colour should be separated and reminded of their privilege.

Ya, you can't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

Just a reminder to anyone who didn't bother to read the document linked by the op, the word privilege was mentioned exactly once. It's one of those "gotcha" threads. One word mentioned once in an appendix in a 24 page document.

If this country treated people as equal, you'd be right. But you know as well as I do that this country treats people very differently depending on their skin colour.

So it's your belief that Ireland is systematically racist?

Absolutely. Skin colour is still so new to a majority of us. It was 1987 when I saw a black person in the flesh for the first time. All the kids followed him all around the estate like he was the pied piper 😂

I know a lot of my friends that are black don't feel safe in the cities (Dublin, Cork & Galway), purely because of their skin colour.

My brother in law is black African and I honestly couldn't tell you how many CV's the boy sent out looking for a job, that he was well capable of.

Ireland is inherently racist, but it's getting better. Things like the kids playing for the Irish football team, or getting picked for GAA teams will make a huge difference.

Ever spoken to someone who has travelled around Africa? You'd experience the same, do you think Africans are inherently racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bloopy

This sounds like some sort of original sin type deal. A tainted nature bestowed by mere fact of birth which requires continual atonement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

Well I've already said that there is evidence of white privilege by the posters here since it's unlikely many of them would be fair to a migrant, considering they have >1000 anti migrant posts. Can some of the >1000 anti immigrant posters say that they would assess an immigrant and indigenous Irish person equally if they were giving them a job/housing/any kind of situation where they were making a decision between two candidates? Just for the record. Since there is no such thing as white privilege in Ireland. It would be pretty funny just to have on record.

Go handy on the beer there fella, the night is young!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The problem is you're claiming there is no connection between the two concepts of unearned benefit, and guilt. You're advocating to legitimise the radical concept of "privilege". Unearned benefits that we have access to that others don't. That's all, right? No harm. There is two major concerns I have with this though.

It's weird to pretend that recognising the unearned benefit is of no importance, it's meaningless. It's just a statement, so why deny it? Humans clearly associate guilt with unearned benefit - survivor guilt for example, where humans feel shame for surviving when others did not. You're really concerned to argue for the concept of "privilege". It's important to you that it be recognised and legitimised rather than treated as the crank theory it is. It's just academic right? You're essentially trying to reinforce to that survivors really were incredibly lucky to have not died, while pretending you're not trying to induce survivors guilt - as if there is no connection at all. That's very suspect to me.

The other issue with "privilege", particularly where it comes to "being born in a developed country" is that it is not unearned privilege. It was earned. It was earned by our parents, and their parents, and their parents before them. Just as we try to earn it for our children today. There is no "privilege" about Ireland being one of the better places to be born - our ancestors earned that for us. And they didn't listen to people who tried to make them feel guilty about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

I'd love if anyone would be bothered to talk about the other 23 pages that did not use the word that the thread was created for. Cos it seems like a nonsense thread. But, nope. Performative outrage.

Start another thread about them then….jesus, are you just going to repeat the same thing over and over!!! This thread is about Irish White Privilege specifically…the clue is in the title to the thread. Start one on male privilege, which is also mentioned in the NCCA see how that goes.

And you wonder why people are sick and tired of this woke nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This is undoubtedly one of the most insane posts I’ve read on Boards. I really hope this is a wind-up and you that you do not truly believe that utter nonsense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Racism and white privilege are not the same thing, so maybe start again with a better understanding…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

My goodness. I was born in 1961, African children in my school, albeit privileged. Lots of Africans in Ireland when I was growing up, the assumption was always if you saw a black person they were a doctor. Times chance of course, but racism, per se, as I see it, is only really getting hold now in Ireland. Humans are tribal creatures, and if one cohort suddenly comes in large numbers, the existing tribe tend to react. The only thing it has to do with skin colour might be more visibility.

Fair play to you. Where I'm from (Bray), we didn't. The doctors in hospitals (all GP's were white) mostly tended to be white or Indian-Asian back then, if memory serves correctly.

• Advertisement

If you think this is insane, I've seen posts claimed m government policies can start fires more than the humans that strike the matches and provide the accelerant!

You must be very sheltered here on boards.

Advertisement